• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vilani Word

*giggling*

While horrifically off topic, though, I think this thread went off the topic awhile ago, it's is damned funny. Of course I was an AV kid, and not a Chess kid...I taught my sister (4 years younger) and she beat me 3 out 5 games...that's when I stopped playing her. But by God, I knew the innards of the old Bell and Howells like no one. :p

Someone (Not Me At All) should collect all the words in Vilani here and make a dictionary. I'd download that FREE product and learn it.

Last edited:
PDF from web pages

In Firefox, at least, you can convert any web page into a PDF. Rob's grammer page appeared to be one large web page on my initial (and amazed) glance, so http://www.pdfdownload.org/ would work to create a PDF of that for you. I've used it a few times to save some ship web pages as PDFs. I've heard a few people complain about it, but so far it was worked well for me. Unfortunately, it will not map out links on the pages for sub-pages, although the non-free version may, I don't know.

Just an FYI for those pages where people are not so darned agreeable about sending you the PDF themselves.

Damn... I used to own a pair of B&H filmosound projectors. Still have anamorphic lenses for them. (So I could show Cinemascope films.)

If so I do, I do...(need a 'jumping up and down, excited like' emoticon).

bounce.gif

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/images/smilies/bounce.gif

badger.gif

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/Bager1968/Game stuff/badger.gif

bouncy.gif

http://rizak.info/AVATARS/90/bouncy.gif

Last edited:
Ummm...

OK, that's...interesting. The first seems alright, the second odd, though being a Wisconsinite, I do have to like the badger, even if it looks like he's about to take a dump...and three, well, I dig it but, can't lie, it's one of those perv thoughts, which in a effort not to get in too much trouble I won't share, though excited is the key word. :smirk:

Uhm... no. (4 year Choir Letterman. 4 Year NJROTC. 5 year CAP Cadet. 2 year FD Explorer. 11 year Alter Server at a Catholic Cathedral.)

And yes, C-Scope was used on many 16mm prints. $&#**^% %*%#^ to get a decent focus. (To decode: I write profanity by using the number of the same finger as the letter... whilst holding the shift key.)

I showed the Star Wars trillogy (Eps 4-5-6) in 'scope one weekend...

Last edited:
Giggles.

Nice set of Terms there, Navy, Air Force, Fire Department, Scouts and of course the Church...interesting skill set to say the least.

Uh.. did I mention they overlap within a 12 year period? (age 7 to 4 years past HS.) Oh, and I forgot to mention that there was US Army Basic Training right after HS.

The AK Wing CAP DCC wanted to give me the AK CAP nomination to the USAF Academy... I said "no"... because I'd have had to lie to pass the physical.

:)

Yes, I've lived an interesting life.

One of my ex-GF's ran off to europe and became a model. Every so often she sends a perfumed letter via a mutal friend.

One of my cousins married a european vintner. She's also been a model.

I was baptised by a cousin who was a RC priest, but got permission to leave the RC priesthood and get married. His wife of 25+ years just left him...

I have vague recollections of discussing Motzart over coffee with a waitress (later fired for being 15) from one of the Village Inn restaurants in Anchorage; at the time I held my smogs in the Russian manner, and was smoking papyrosij. Quite a shocker to see Jewel's "Pieces of You" video... and thinking "I know her from somewhere..."

I've had drinks with Ted Stevens at the Baranof Hotel. It's two blocks from where the Birdman of Alcatraz committed his first known murder.

I've had drinks with the chaps who played Martok and Gowron. They are an absolute hoot in person. Far more fun in the bar than in the con-rooms.

I stunned Rene Aberjenois by asking him about MASH (the movie) and Bensen during an anchorage Q&A... Same con, I floored the guy who played Doctor Franklin on Bab5 by pointing out that there was a Role-Playing Game about the B5 universe. He asked if it used cast photos or screen caps.... (That was pre-mongoose... so No. CE was too cheap to pay for Cast Photos...)

So, is there a vilani word for "has done way too much but doesn't remember enough of it?"

OK...

Maybe I don't!

One can take even love one's state too far, this qualifies. Thanks for wasting a whopping three minutes of my life Andrew...where do you people find this stuff anyway?

Go Animate, Young Man.

Really, have you tried Fred's Second Hand Lives...I hear they got some. :p

Or you could go and animate us a whopping doozy of a spinal mount firing...I bet that goes over way better than "dancing?" badgers. :D

A Textbook Proposal.

Greetings Professors:

Your Gururkarpu is at it again:

OUTLINE for PROPOSED TEXTBOOK, TITLE: 1st Term Bilanidin. by Professor R. Eaglestone. with additional work by GKA. Compiled and Copyset by MvT.

1st Term Bilanidin.
by
Professor R. Eaglestone.

1. Vilani (Bilanidin) Etymology. (2 pages) 1-2.
  2. Bilanidin Phonetics. (2 pages) 3-4.
  3. Introduction to Bilanidin. [Easy/Medium] (16 pages) 5-20.
  4. Advanced Bilanidin. [Medium/Hard] (40 pages) 21-60.
  5. Example Texts.
    1. Bilanidin Babel Text. (5 pages) 61-65.
    2. Universal Declaration of Human Rights. [(Vilani] (2 pages) 66-67.
    3. A Bilanidin Liturgy and Benediction. [Bilanidin/Anglic] (1 page) 68.
    4. Ziru Sirka-Instrument of Surrender to Terran Confederation. [Bilanidin/Anglic] (2 pages) 69-70.
    5. Ziru Sirka-Instrument of Surrender to Terran Confederation. [Ruuraak] (1 page) 71.
    6. A Popular (Course) Expletive. [Ruuraak/Bilanidin] (1 page) 72.
  6. Notes.
    1. Talkin' Vilani. [Parts 1/2.] (Part 1: 20 pages, Part 2: 17 pages, Total: 37 pages) P1: 73-93. P2: 94-110.
    2. Talkin' Vilani [Chant] (2 pages) 111-112.
    3. Vilani Word. [Part 1/2] (P1: 23 pages, P2: 2 pages, Total: 25 pages) P1: 113-135, P2: 136-137.

So what do you think?

:eek:o:

... and then we could contact the Rosetta Stone people about putting together a conversational CD, too! I'd love to see some of the everyday situations they could come up with for Vilani speakers.

I do like the idea of compartmentalizing the linguistic information a little more, for easier referencing. I think adding a chapter on Old High Vilani would be a good idea as well, since there are grammatical and phonological differences between it and the modern version of the language.

Back