• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vilani Word

See that's why you come next in Credits, GKA.

:eek:o:

... and then we could contact the Rosetta Stone people about putting together a conversational CD, too! I'd love to see some of the everyday situations they could come up with for Vilani speakers.

I do like the idea of compartmentalizing the linguistic information a little more, for easier referencing. I think adding a chapter on Old High Vilani would be a good idea as well, since there are grammatical and phonological differences between it and the modern version of the language.
Good Idea, Smashing Even, he said not having to write. :p

I asked Rob about posting some of the Example Texts that I did up, had fun with Fonts and Setting....But it looks good in print. :D He hasn't said 'yes' or 'no' yet, so am waiting with hope for a yes to show off a bit.

Oh and the bleeding HTML version of the Lexicon, try 239 pages and 6007 entries, not counting new ones from stuff here and on the other threads. Plus there is the .xls one and I haven't even cracked it to try...*grins* killed the ink cart in one night of printing, got at least a couple hundred out. Printed pages 122-239 of the .html Lexicon so far...wow, I knew the cart wouldn't last long, but ah well, at CrImps 20, I'll get more soon...sorta, like a week and then like 3 of them and 1 color and another couple of reams of paper: white, white, yellow, blue. Wheeeee!

GKA said:
I do like the idea of compartmentalizing the linguistic information a little more, for easier referencing. I think adding a chapter on Old High Vilani would be a good idea as well, since there are grammatical and phonological differences between it and the modern version of the language.

The OHV document is completely separate, by the way... the intent is to separate them, as reference texts, much as is reasonable.

Oh and the bleeding HTML version of the Lexicon, try 239 pages and 6007 entries, not counting new ones from stuff here and on the other threads. Plus there is the .xls one and I haven't even cracked it to try...*grins* killed the ink cart in one night of printing, got at least a couple hundred out. Printed pages 122-239 of the .html Lexicon so far...wow, I knew the cart wouldn't last long, but ah well, at CrImps 20, I'll get more soon...sorta, like a week and then like 3 of them and 1 color and another couple of reams of paper: white, white, yellow, blue. Wheeeee!

My current word count is 6769, but there are many synonyms which are separate entries.

I really do intend to turn the grammar doc into a PDF so I can put it on the web, by the way... the HTML version just doesn't cut it these days.

Last edited:
Suggest-A-Word

Using this handy webpage, feel free to generate and suggest some Vilani words for the lexicon.

The Rules Verbs must be 1 or 2 syllables. Other terms are at least 2 syllables.

Extra Point if you can suggest a word that somewhat resembles an existing word which has a related meaning, or suggest a derivation from an existing word.

And yes, you will get credit for that word, as well as points.

Here are words I'm currently looking for:

• main, primary [adj]
  • to be prepared [vi]
  • previous [adj]
  • to suspend action temporarily [vi]
  • swamp [n]
  • to swap (i.e. to change places with; a non-economic trade) [vt]
  • syringe [n]
  • trait (as in genetic) [n]
  • to be translocated, displaced [vi]
  • truck (i.e. cargo-carrying motor vehicle; UK lorry) [n]
  • to be unusual [vi]
  • valve (i.e. flow controller) [n]

Last edited:
The OHV document is completely separate, by the way... the intent is to separate them, as reference texts, much as is reasonable.
While I know that now, I didn't at first. As a result, I think I wound up using a few grammatical practices that are now considered archaic.

Suggest-A-Word
I have jillions of words that I've got lying around somewhere. I'll see what I can come up with that's worth adding to the pile.;)

By the way, I worked out some additions to the sound change files you were apparently working on a few years ago. I have two that I think are more-or-less complete: a revised SV-OHV transformation, and a tool for adding Anglic loanwords into SV (through OHV). I have the SV-OHV rules currently posted up over on the Contact! section of the board, and I'll add the Anglic loanword rules up a little bit later.

Let me know what you think of them!

Well, I am back....

Just got the DSL up today and so I am back online and now will have to get back to work on this project.

Sorry, but I haven't got much done since last time and now since I have a new (old) computer I have to regain all my links and stuff, as they were all on the other computer which is waiting for cash to get it resurrected and thus allowing me to get all the work and docs off it.

Sheesh.

Anyway jst a quick note to let you all know that I am back and will soon be caught up and thus back to being full on annoying soon. :p

The reappearance of the gurukarpu.

So Professors, I got another question.

What would be the proper Bilanidin for:

To the future, patiently.

It is Count hault-Daarnulud's motto.

If you could. Thanks.

Magnus.

[we're doing it] discourse participant-human agent-ingressive-cooperative-stative/durative verb form "to be going"-nonfuture direct-stative participle

Kha se-k-ga-ne-kii-kiish-0-ar to be patient-ad ka-future or kash-future

Kha sekganekiikiishar

ishemad

ka-kagimek.

Last edited:
Tones could shorten the text a bit, and you could omit the initial /Kha/, but does the translation sound about right?

Back