• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What else should I buy?

BwapTED

SOC-13
CT books I have:

I've got Books 1-3 (1981 versions, except Book 1 appears to be the 1977 version. I may have a second copy of Book 1, which I think is the 1981 revision...) in the boxed set

Book 5 High Guard

Supplement 4 Citizens of the Imperium

Supplement 12 Forms and Charts

JTAS #8

Understanding Traveller (pamphlet)

Book 0 An introduction to Traveller

Also:

Traveller's Logbook (Judges Guild- I love this one)

Drakne Station

Various Dragon Magazine articles in hardcopy and on disk (bought the CD rom years ago-- it's great)

---------------------------
I'm coming to some of store credit at a gaming store with a wide selection of books.

open question:

What else, if anything, should I buy?

Anything very close to CT or that includes CT stats would count. It doesn't have to be the original GDW product line.

My 1st answer is All of the rest of the GDW books, then as much of the Apocrypha that you can find.

All the CT disk, start with the CT Canon then JTAS & Apocrypha Vol.1. Then the Core Books Reprints followed by Apocrypha Vol.2 disk Both the the Collected Aliens books then the JTAS Reprints.

Games reprint is nice to have but not essential and Adventures and Double Adventures are near imposable to get and totally imposable to get for a fair price.

Always keep an eye out in used book stores and the the "Pre-loved" section of your FLGS for the LBB's or any other Trav stuff.

Get the GDW and FASA CDs from Far Future Enterprises. The JTAS CD sounds good too but I haven't seen the actual contents.

Thanks!

Hunting my stacks, it turns out I also own:
  • Adventure 2 Research Station Gamma
  • Introductory Adventure in the Imperial Fringe
  • additional copies of Books 0-3 (including 1981 version of Book 1)
  • Book 4 Mercenary
  • Supplement 7 Traders and Gunboats

Oh, and a star map plus the ''Atlas of the Imperium''

I'm in a similar position as I've just purchased the Starter Edition. What other booklets besides the 3lbbs/Starter booklets do people refer to regularly? People have recommended Book 4, does the collective wisdom of the Citizens forum concur?

I'm in a similar position as I've just purchased the Starter Edition. What other booklets besides the 3lbbs/Starter booklets do people refer to regularly? People have recommended Book 4, does the collective wisdom of the Citizens forum concur?

Yes, get Book 4: Mercenary (it has additional small-arms on the Ironmongery Section that you will definitely want), as well as Supplement 4: Citizens of the Imperium.

If you do use Book 4: Mercenary, be aware that the expanded Character Generation rules for Military characters generates more and higher skill levels than in the LBB: 1-3 rules. Some feel that the higher levels break the 2D6 curve for task-resolution. A number of people on this site have some house-rule ideas to work around this, such as this post by ATPollard:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showpost.php?p=494471&postcount=8

. . . in this thread:
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=33502

ACTUALLY...

Resist the urge to collect, and instead, just play.

I would suggest starting out with exactly what you have, and gaming with it.

Suppress the urge to build the collection for several months, while you play ... just ... plain ... LBB1-3 Traveller.

I mean it. This is an experience to be enjoyed. It turns out that for casual gaming, less is more. And it's easier to get people together to play casually than otherwise.

And you don't NEED more than LBBs1-3 to start with.

I'm serious.

I think others here would agree.

Resist the urge to collect, and instead, just play.

GENERATE your own subsector. Roll one up. Don't use printed resources as a guide, just roll it up. Then use it in games.

Roll up basic characters using Book One.

Then send them into the subector.

I think that's great advice, Robject. My group got a ton of mileage out of the Deluxe Starter Set back in the day, only adding other Books and Supplements after months of play.

(IMO, Robject's advice holds true for most games. It's so easy to jump in and buy a ton of supplements and end up overwhelmed. Keeping it simple at first lets you traverse the learning curve more easily and lets you figure out what your group would actually benefit from supplement-wise before buying anything.)

Books 4 & 5 are pretty much de rigueur.

Book 6 is fairly popular, book 7 likewise, but not so routinely referenced.

Book 8: Robots is little referenced and less often used in play; it was released about the same time as MegaTraveller....

Supplement 4: Citizens of the Imperium is almost as popular as book 4...

Just my particular interest but deckplans are always good for reference or tabletop miniature play.

GDW's Traders & Gunboats covers the 'basics' but there are some well-done large format deckplans by FASA that cover other starships of the classic Traveller setting.

Just be aware that many of the deck-plans in Supplement 7 Traders & Gunboats are not correct according to the rules - for example the 200dt "far trader" Empress Marava actually calculates out to ~400dt from the deckplan.

Back