• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What Kind of Sports Leagues Are In the Third Imperium?

In case anyone has any need of similar for the future, I decided on Grav-Ball, mainly because it was possible to find a number of variations of the fictional sport online, which would reduce my GM workload.

I introduced the idea of the Imperial Grav-Ball Association; the IGBA regulates the sport and provides a framework for the various clubs to compete. Clubs are on a per-system basis and originally were owned and supported by the mainworld noble. As time went by, some were sold to other individuals or whole concerns (an idea in the back of my mind that I didn't end up using was that Tukera could own a team in the Spinward Marches; with the hate-on my players have for Tukera, I could have used that as a goad if necessary...)

The team was on Jewell competing in the IGBA finals, and the Fifth Frontier War broke out. They were sent to retrieve them. It worked pretty well. As props, I had intended to make some "cards" for the grav-ball players, but I never got around to doing it.

I always thought that a weekend-warrior type of league in a 0-G environment might be appealing (something similar to Ender's Game).

Spaceship racing through a planetoid belt.

Starship racing across a subsector (would have to go along x-boat routes so that scores could be communicated in a timely manner.

Cheers,

Baron Ovka

No racing? There's a whole new environment to exploit for high speed excitement, SPACE! For the ultra rich there's solar sailing and for the beer swilling masses there's modified shuttle racing! Pretty much any kind of vehicle racing on Earth today could find an analog in the 3I.

IMTU I've created a trans-Empire racing league for highly modified non-jump capable 100 tonners crewed by a pilot, nav, and engineer like the deep sea racers of today.

All three have to roll at every major point in the route to maintain their trajectory or engine power. Getting a little behind and want to exceed engine output by 15%, the engineer rolls. Want to skip off an atmosphere to change course without burning too much fuel, the pilot rolls. Need a faster route through an asteroid field, the navy rolls. And because these are high performance ships, there's lots of break downs and glitches that occur.

Throw in some nasty co-competitors, demanding sponsors, or other drama and you have a campaign that can last as long as you want it to.

I tried to find the following info when this was first posted - and just now experienced the proper Zen-Google-Fu moment.

I read this story back in the very early 1970s (when I was a young sprout).

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22357972-the-galactic-troubadours

"Space town racers sing this song, Doo-dah, doo-dah
Space town race track light years long, Oh, De-doo-dah day
Gonna blast all night, gonna blast all day,
I bet my money on the neutron beam, Who's gonna bet on the ray. "

In case anyone has any need of similar for the future, I decided on Grav-Ball, mainly because it was possible to find a number of variations of the fictional sport online, which would reduce my GM workload.

I introduced the idea of the Imperial Grav-Ball Association; the IGBA regulates the sport and provides a framework for the various clubs to compete. Clubs are on a per-system basis and originally were owned and supported by the mainworld noble. As time went by, some were sold to other individuals or whole concerns (an idea in the back of my mind that I didn't end up using was that Tukera could own a team in the Spinward Marches; with the hate-on my players have for Tukera, I could have used that as a goad if necessary...)

The team was on Jewell competing in the IGBA finals, and the Fifth Frontier War broke out. They were sent to retrieve them. It worked pretty well. As props, I had intended to make some "cards" for the grav-ball players, but I never got around to doing it.

FASA had that idea back in the 80's.
Complete with tie-ins to Traveller

Quidditch

With the advent of Grav tech among the Solomani, specially the grav belt, back while the ISW, some Terran people remembered about this imaginary sport from Harry Potter novels and saw the possibility to adapt it.

The equipments of the teams are grav belts/harnesses (similar to the one depicted in MT:WRB) with a cloak with the team colours and the grav controls in a broom like appendix that goes under the user's legs, and the snitch and bludgers are robotized grav balls.

Of course, as the grav and robotic tech has been improving, so have the equipment for this sport, mostly the snitch and bludgers, making them more difficult to catch and dodge them respectively.

As 1105, the sport keeps being mainly popular in Solomani influence zones, though the Sword Wolrds also practice it, and some other imperial areas have imported it too.

Due to the need of low power grav for the belts, and als ogood robotics for the snitch and bludgers, tt is rarely practiced in worlds with TL 11-, and there are different leagues according to TLs at levels over planet.

1) Zero-g Fencing

Runabout fencing: two common (and sub-megacredit) smallcraft with extendable conveyor belts for loading/unloading cargo, use those belts and maneuver drives (set on low velocity/high agility) to try to tap the tip against the other craft first. Involves more whole-craft maneuvering than the normal kind of fencing, since the "hilt" is at a fixed point relative to the craft.

2) Mecha Fights

Started as a Vilani thing

Only because the Vlani had mechs first. Solomani can trace mech fights back to 2017 AD, and drone fights a decade or two before that.

That said, I made up a sport for another setting that had lots of standardized space stations, that would work in Traveller too - at least, in any area that had lots of worlds at least TL 9 in thee same area, that might engage in sporting contests with one another.

Powerball is a game conducted between two teams, each consisting of a mech pilot and 3-6 (depending on league) power-armored folk. Leagues define the limits of equipment, but generally, the mech is a two-legged, two-armed vehicle less than 10 tons with a single pilot, and the power armor is deliberately kept short of battle dress standards, though even the minimums give players serious armor and enhanced strength to encourage dramatic plays.

The play arena consists of a large room, 3 times as long as it is wide (exact size varies from league to league, but 120x40 meters is typical). It is usually about as tall as it is wide, though on space stations that rotate for gravity, the floor and roof can curve. The roof is technically optional, but purists will insist on one even in the middle of an outdoor sports complex with weather control granting it year-round mild sunny days. The floor is divided into 3 square areas: the home team's field, a pool, and the far team's field. Each field has a number of movable terrain features that its side's mech pilot can control (usually only when not doing anything else). Each side's mech may not leave its team's field; only the rest of the team may do so. The pool freezes and thaws in set patterns during the game (always perfectly symmetrical, and communicated to both sides before the game), giving ice that can be hopped or walked across (the power armor is usually too heavy to swim, and the balls - see below - deactivate if they touch the water; zhodani and solomani leagues prefer to just leave this area completely frozen during the game, while it is almost a cliche that aslan players try to splash their opponents to deactivate any balls they carry).

There are multiple balls - rugged spheres with lights and sensors - that start out loaded in each mech's rifle (the only weapon allowed, aside from the players and their armor). These rifles activate a ball for the mech's side when the ball is shot (the rifles are low power, and usually can not shoot more than 1/3 of the floor's length); players then catch their balls and try to touch them to the wall on the far side (throwing the ball against the wall is allowed, and is the most common way to score). Balls deactivate if they touch the ground, water, or any wall (including the far side wall, after scoring a point). Power armor touching or being touched by a ball activated by the other side paralyzes that armor for a few seconds (though the mech can grab, load, and shoot it, switching the ball's activation to its own side's).

One point is awarded each time a ball activated for your team touches the far wall. The objective is to score more points than the other team in the time allowed (which varies by league, but 15-30 minute halves - switching sides between each - is common in professional leagues).

Each league will be about two jumps across, since nobody wants to play one game a month. (California baseball required airplanes not trains to move the teams.) In the off-season, the local-cluster winners will meet for a Championship Tourney someplace central and well-equipped. Maybe a four-subsector zone will be covered by each championship. The players from the Champion team must have enough time to get back home before the next season starts.

I can also see the Ziru Sirka's AAB looking very oddly at a 'space race' sport, worried that somebody might break the copyright laws - or invent 7-G grav plates or a lightweight strong composite structural material - while juicing up his ride a bit. The 'fair competitor' rules might be heavily loaded towards safety concerns to obscure this.

The Expanse has that slingshot race game with minimalist vehicles pushed to the edge, and clearly an ethos of suicidal flying.

I would think something akin to basketball or racquetball would be popular on warships and merchant vessels- cheap ersatz setups that can be played 'indoors' in cargo and empty weapon bays.

While it's not a sports league per se, IMTU I have Duel Station, a roving moving arena where people come to work out their justice/revenge issues, with highly popular and illegal transmissions/recordings from same.

Back