• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: What One Thing Would You Change About Classic Traveller?

I laways thought the games tried to mimic (to some extent) "reality" (as much as this word can be used on such a science fiction setting)

Or the game rules writters just tried to simplify them... Neither are there any references to Destroyers (or other non-capital squadrons, scouts aside), supplies and many other things.

People must have changed a lot for an aldmiral to prefer to travel in x-Boats conditions than by passenger ships doing the same route (as TTB tells), but as it does not even affect the game, I guess it is really a moot discussion.

I fully agree here, as conditions and speed would be bettrer than in x-boats. Nonetheless, as Spinward Flow says, tere's no reference to them i nthe game, and this would change (albeit only in a small detail) the game, so at best it could be used as house rule.
I agree there is no reason you couldn't use house rules as long as everyone knows house rules are being used. It would be great if there was an add on to the game or an update adding some other classes of ships, Fleet resupply, and some other options in the game.
I did find this little Gem on page 20-
" Since scout squadrons can be used to transport admirals, such an operation could result in an acquaintance which will persist long after the war is over. Perhaps the scout ship will carry an admiral's aide and a friendship could result."
This was under the Role-playing rules. So, like many other Traveller products the game comes down into what you want it to be and your free to add rules- "To your version of the game." :)

I fully agree here, as conditions and speed would be better than in x-boats.
I supsect the reason why J6 Fleet Couriers were not included as a transport option for Admirals is because only the Imperium would have them. The Zhodani would have been limited by TL=14 to J5 Fleet Couriers and the Sword Worlds by TL=12 to J3 Fleet Couriers. This would have introduced an asymmetry into the game that would have felt "unfair" for the Zhodani/Sword Worlders player(s) of the game.

Also, how would you design the rules for the movements of the Fleet Courier tokens that would be needed?
it starts opening up a can of worms in terms of additional complexity that the game didn't actually need, nor would it greatly benefit from. I mean, Fifth Frontier War was already a massively complex wargame to begin with that could get really exhausting to actually play (I know, I tried, more than once).

Also, how would you design the rules for the movements of the Fleet Courier tokens that would be needed?
Why do you need those tokens?

Just assume that an aldmiral may move by itself, the jn depending on the faction (6 for Imperials, 5 for Zhodani, 4 for Vargr and Sword Worlds).

After all, while those courriers are not as plentiful as any aldmiral would want, they are enough as to have one dedicated to each such smal lteam...

Why do you need those tokens?
Because the way that Admiral tokens move around the map is by use of other tokens (either a Scout squadron or a Fleet).
The one exception to that rule is the use of XBoat Movement, which has lines drawn on the map before the game starts.
Absent a Scout squadron or Fleet token or access to the XBoat Network, an Admiral token is "stranded" at whatever system they are in and incapable of moving.

That's the rules of the game.

Turning around and saying that Imperial admirals can move 6 hexes "by themselves" without requiring an XBoat, Scout squadron or a Fleet does all kinds of "unfortunate" knock on effects to the mobility of admirals and being able to reshuffle them around between fleets on the map from a game design perspective. Same for allowing Zhodani admirals to do the same thing of moving 5 hexes "by themselves" ... and Sword Worlds admirals moving 3 hexes "by themselves" without requiring any other tokens (or lines on the map) be involved after the start of hostilities. It breaks down some of the War GAME aspects of the whole point and purpose of the paradigm being played.

That's the rules of the game.
Sure, but we're talking about adding house rules to represent those courriers...

And I don't believe the game would change too much by allowing admirals to move more freely alone, though maybe they should also have their moves plotted some time in advance...

Last edited:
The rules are very clear:
jump number dictates the next destination of the ship,

This is correct and supportable by Traveller rules. The destination is the next port of call. The obvious interpretation is that your freight, mail, and passengers don't "skip over" starports. Next is next.

Traveller5 treats it very succinctly:
The standard price for shipping freight is Cr1,000 per ton. The payment covers shipment in the cargo hold from the current location to the starship’s next port of call.

Shipping freight is to the next port of call.

By implication, determining "passengers available" means passengers travelling to the next port of call*.

I think this subsumes the "cross empty space and get there in two jumps" situation.

However, it (generally) does not support the idea that your "destination" is e.g. fifteen jump-1s away through 14 other starports.

Exceptions
  • Speculative cargo by definition has no set destination.
  • Some passengers have no set destination (by referee determination).

* Abuses
  • Use wilderness refueling to avoid intervening starports.

Last edited:
However, it (generally) does not support the idea that your "destination" is e.g. fifteen jump-1s away through 14 other starports.
It COULD ... but doing that begs the question of why anyone WOULD want to offer such a service. :oops:

Theoretically speaking, it is perfectly "possible" to offer transport services from Trin/Trin's Veil to Jewell/Jewell in the Spinward Marches (for example) ... but doing so would require charging Cr1000 per ton for cargo on that trip, Cr10,000 per high passenger, Cr8000 per middle passenger and Cr1000 per low passenger.

The PROBLEM with offering such transportation from Trin/Trin's Veil to Jewell/Jewell in the Spinward Marches at those prices would be finding a way to much such a transit economical. Even with "perfect misjumps" (yeah, right!) from Trin/Trin's Veil to Bevey/Rhylanor (19 parsecs in a straight line) and then from Bevey/Rhylanor to Jewell/Jewell (21 parsecs in a straight line again) you're still looking at a minimum of 2 (perfect mis)jumps between Trin and Jewell ... setting aside the somewhat literally astronomical odds against successfully achieving this feat even once (let alone reliably as a repeatable business model :eek:). Without that fast transit option, the path to economic viability for such tickets just isn't there given the economic realities of jump travel "the normal way" from Trin to Jewell.

Usually, the next port of call is going to be 1 or sometimes even 2 jumps away.
In extreme cases it can even be 3 or 4 jumps away (L-Hyd drop tanks and/or fuel caches are usually required for this kind of range performance).
* Abuses
  • Use wilderness refueling to avoid intervening starports.
That's not an abuse.
That's literally how a Jump-2 starship can transit from Saurus/Vilis to Lanth/Lanth and back in the Spinward Marches.
You buy a "standard ticket" at Saurus for transport to Lanth (or vice-versa).
The fact that there's a wilderness refueling stop at Tavonni (population: 0) along the way does not factor into the ticket price whatsoever.
jumpmap

Origin: Saurus
Destination: Lanth
... or ...
Origin: Lanth
Destination: Saurus

HOW the starship gets from A to B is a problem for the captain and crew to solve, not for the people buying the tickets. Once the tickets are sold, the starship is contractually obligated to go to the destination. How long it takes the starship to accomplish that feat (and therefore how much expense will be incurred while doing so) is a problem for the captain (and the accounting department) to solve.

In other words, you can "hopscotch" you way to destinations beyond your immediate jump range ... it's just more expensive/less profitable to do so on the starship operations side of the ledger. At a certain point (which varies widely in different contexts), the expenses outweigh the revenues and it simply isn't profitable to make the journey to sufficiently far away "next" destinations for the price of a single ticket. That's where the fundamentals of starship economics limit the useful range of starship destination choices ... but you have to "run the numbers" for each starship based on expenses to figure out where that break even point is beyond which there is no profit to be had even with a full load.

It COULD ... but doing that begs the question of why anyone WOULD want to offer such a service. :oops:

Your Saurus example is a good one.

In my opinion, it's also a way to fill staterooms that you know will otherwise be empty for a couple jumps. Imbalance shipping, in a way. I guess you don't want life support costs to meet or exceed the cost of passenger tickets.

So, what I'm saying is that the rules don't talk about that. It's a bit messy. They directly support one-jump == next port of call, and (as you also said) that's because that's typical. It seems clear that multi-jump is atypical, but not against the rules.

Your Saurus example is a good one.
I have my moments. 😉
In my opinion, it's also a way to fill staterooms that you know will otherwise be empty for a couple jumps. Imbalance shipping, in a way. I guess you don't want life support costs to meet or exceed the cost of passenger tickets.
It's quite literally what I did in the Race To Profitability™ exercise in my Spinward Flex Courier thread.

At Lanth, I had the captains determine what cargo and passengers originating at Lanth would be bound for Tavonni, with any excess capacity available for booking to Saurus. On the return leg of the race back to D'Ganzio the same thing happened in reverse. Cargo and passengers originating at Saurus bound for Tavonni were booked first, with any excess unused capacity available for bookings to Lanth.

It was a little bit more complicated than nominal (and honestly, I should have done the same thing for the Margesi - Choleosti - Garda-Vilis segment of the run too in order to get "past" the economic "dead zone" of Choleosti better) but basically something that can be done if you've decided where your ship is going for its next 2 destinations in advance.
So, what I'm saying is that the rules don't talk about that.
Not explicitly, no.
But it doesn't take all that much reading between the lines to figure out.
You just need to have the capacity to "look beyond" the mere letter of rules as presented on the page.
It's a bit messy.
Fair point, because it is.
Although, to be fair, putting the trade rules as written into practice using starships capable of more than 1 parsec range gets exponentially more complex at an almost logarithmic rate of increase. It gets "messy" REALLY FAST.
They directly support one-jump == next port of call, and (as you also said) that's because that's typical. It seems clear that multi-jump is atypical, but not against the rules.
Single jump is the default assumption, because it will often times be the usual/typical/only case available.
Multi-jump is possible, but more complex and requires a greater understanding of the local map and the capabilities of the starship involved. Multi-jump is merely an obvious extrapolation/extension of the single jump rules, where the only difference really comes down to "what is within range" to be able to get to. Whether the economics make sense for multi-jump destinations is an additional layer of problem solving when it comes to running a profitable transportation business, contingent upon the specifications of the ship and the expenses it needs to pay for.

Sometimes, the most expensive ship you can buy/own/operate is going to be the cheapest to have delivered from the shipyard.

Cheap starships lack drive capacity (jump, maneuver, power plant) which can limit their options for where their next port of call CAN be located. With minimal drive capacity, the choices of "where to go next" will sometimes be made for you simply by the arrangement of star systems on the map ... but if you had more drive capacity and/or multi-jump range you would have more options available to you and are less likely to find yourself "trapped" at an economic "dead end" of systems that cost more to visit than simply turning around and going back where you came from.

On a spreadsheet, all else being equal, Jump-1 is the most "efficient" option in a vacuum that ignores subsector maps.
In actual gameplay, having Jump-2+ available to you can sometimes mean the difference between an empty manifest bound for 1 parsec away versus a full manifest bound for 2+ parsecs away. I just really depends on the ebb and flow of the availability of cargo and passengers bound for different destinations.

Another change I would like to see is a reduction of Starship costs. i frequently divide the price of ships by ten.

Going by the Mongoose Two customization, not really worth bothering with by commercial entities in the specific case of a ten tonne jump drive.

Except for the twenty five percent discount budget variant, and that's the same technological level, plus a disadvantage.

Tech Level Stage effects rules. Drives get smaller and more efficient at TLs above their standard TL. They're possible below the standard TL as well, at higher cost, larger size, lower efficiency, and sometimes with quirks.

But maintenance and spare parts would have to be sourced at manufactured technological level.
I see that more people are starting to come around to this notion that bleeding edge high tech can become a "burden" on the logistics needed to keep extremely high tech stuff operational beyond its first year in service.

After all, if you can't maintain or service something, you had better start thinking of it in terms of being a short life disposable that you can't fix after it (inevitably) breaks down within a year or few ... rather than as a "durable goods" type of item that you can keep using for a generation or two (or few).

We tend to prefer thinking about our starships as being "durable goods" that ought to last at least 40 years (or until meeting a scrapyard, whichever comes first). Most starship economics will not support the notion of starships being high turnover "disposables" where you just get a new one every year and throw the old one onto the scrap heap. There are (of course) some edge cases where that is possible to do ... but those are pretty extreme (and a lot of them involve piracy in some form or fashion for some reason 🏴‍☠️).

Back