• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What's your favorite Spacecraft/Starship

What's your favorite Starship

• Total voters
Mmmm, Gazelles. Fun to chase with my specially-modified P.F. Sloan, leading modified Chrysanthemums and Fer-de-Lances!

My fav is starship is scout/courier,just for nastalgia reasons. When I think of Traveller that is the starship image that comes to mind. I'm sure this is because the first version of classic Traveller I owned was the Traveller Book that had that great cover with the scout/courier on it. Right? now i'm second guesing myself.
My fav non-starship would be sys def boat, but image wise the first thing that comes to mind for me is the modular cutter.

I've always liked the Gazelle CE for a 'small' starship and a Ghalalk CA for a 'big' starship. But not that long ago I discovered the Japanese Traveller scene. I quite like the Sieno CE as a replacement for the Gazelle CE, and the Dendleen CL is pretty cool too.

Regards PLST

WOW! I need to keep a closer eye on the site. It's been a while since I visited and I almost didn't click the link thinking it was just the old single graphic of the ship. It's not! There's all kinds of wonderful beauty now, even some decent deckplans at a quick glance. Though one item threw me for a couple seconds
"What the heck is an Air Rock? Some kind of weapon system? Ohhhh, Air Lock
file_21.gif
"

Wow the japanese did a good job. Never though of searching abroad for material. I also like the new merc cruiser in the latest Epic book.

Ghalalk has always been fun and and I've had a gazelle in my first campaign as my first ship. The first is always a favorite...

Savage

There was an interesting German site I found (or was pointed to, can't recall) a couple years back (or more?). Have to go scour my bookmarks and see if it's still there. Back in a shake.

Hmm, that's not the one I was thinking of, though it is pretty and might be German

David C. Mueller

Favorite ship? If you ask me as a player I'd have to go with the good ol' type S 100ton scoutship. If you ask me as a GM I'd still go with the type S for groups of up to four players. for anything larger I'd suggest the 400ton subsidized merchant. 'Cause it's big enough to keep the players operating it poor(something's always breaking down) also it's big eough for shipboard adventureing........

As for smallcraft my choice is the modular cutter. For non-starships the Dragon Class 400ton system defence boat.....

The merchant cruiser Leviathan. Ungainly and downright ugly, but very cool layout inside. As a kid I use to pour over the deckplans, tracking my imaginary movements through the ship.

Also, the mercenary cruiser from the adventure of the same name.

I love far traders, but i like the deck plan of the Beowulf better than the deck plan of the Marava, so i just make the Beowulf's cargo bay smaller, using the formulas for TL 15 from High Guard.

I also love the Triad class 1000 ton jump-2 trader. Just convert the 4 'offices' on the top deck into proper staterooms.

I like both of these designs because it is easy to separate crew berthing from passenger berthing. I am a firm believer in keeping passengers out of areas they don't need to be in.

I also just think the Triad looks really cool.

Of course, a Beowulf with jump-2 is a wonderful thing.

And the boat I would have voted for was the gig. Such a versatile little beastie. Perfect for the trader who needs a little oomph on the side. Though nowhere near as flexible as the cutter, of course.

If I have a big enough group, I like the J2 Fat Trader. It has some legs (J2). It has a good payload (150dtons). It has good accomodations (13 rooms). It has decent enough floorplans. And, best of all, it has its own subcraft (the launch).

Going smaller, the J2 Beowolf is good. Like others mention above, I just prefer the Beowolf floorplans and its looks much better than the Marava. I would even keep the 20 lows.

If price is no object, I like the good ole Type T. It has long legs (J3), some cargo (50 dtons; 80 if you toss out the ship's boat), can be privately owned, and is just a flat out cool looking ship. Floorplans are a bit dicey, but workable. Having J3 is just way too cool.

I tend to avoid ships much larger, though, because at that point the individual characters start becoming "drowned out" by the fairly large crew. Even the toy fun ball has a pretty big crew.

Hey, I'm looking at the Gazelle's deck plans, and I don't understand them. Where is the 81 tons of on-board fuel?

Originally posted by robject:
Hey, I'm looking at the Gazelle's deck plans, and I don't understand them. Where is the 81 tons of on-board fuel?
alpha.gif
Most of that is between decks. There is also some tankage located in her bow.
omega.gif

I've never had a big enough group to justify anything bigger than a type A Beowulf or A2 Empress Marava. Occasionally a 200 dton yacht or safari ship made a nice change. Most of the time we were very happy with the good old Type S Sulieman, though.

Wow, I just saw the date of this topic. :eek:

The largest groups I've seen have been able to fully staff a kinunir... I wasn't part of them. But they did staff a kinunir.

My largest group was 12 players... but that group was 2 PCs per player. On a ship with a crew of 465.

Ship size and group size don't need to correlate. The trick is merely that the PC's need to be in key roles for the situation.

Back