• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Why do you hate the Virus

It would have been a great idea. And instead of ruining an already existing current setting, it would have fleshed out the details of an already existing and interesting period in the history of Charted Space.
If that had been done we would still be stuck with a setting that stops with Hard Times...

And people can accept that but not Virus - doesn't make sense to me.

Large chunks of TNE mechanics were, to me, clearly attempts to prepare to integrate 2300 into the House Engine. I chalked it up to that; then again, I didn't use the E/CTSB in 2300, either.

especially the opening paragraphs of FF&S Ch. 12
FF&S1 said:
The core Traveller universe does not concentrate heavily on cybernetic enhancements. Although there is no reason to to include this sort of technology in an on-going campaign, its effects on both the style and substance of play are so powerful as to completely dominate the game. Therefore, referees should give some serious thought to the sort of game they wish to run before deciding on how much cybernetics will be used.
The Imperial Space campaign will not be dominated by cybernetic issues, but will deal with these issues only on the level that they provide futuristic "realism."

Given also prior canon on the SSMM, and MT having them active and potent politically within at least two of the rebellion safes, and the prior canon on limb regrowth, the only viable reasons to have cyber are either allergies to the process of regrowth, or desire of functions not practical with meat.

Also note that that chapter also mentions virus making meat puppets of guys with TL 15+ implant computers. (p 84)
Guys with lesser augments can apparently carry virus "spore code"...

I agree with you, and I never particularly liked the way T2300 morphed its core worlds into cyberpunk settings.

The stuff suggested in the 2300 core rules, bioengineered and cyber enhanced provolutionists sounded like a much better way of doing things. The pentapod offered some pretty creepy bio-engineering potential too - who didn't have a pentapod 'god' experiment with human form bullets...

I think that the issue with the virus wasn't that it stretched credibility. It was just naff.

No, for me, it stretched verisimilitude well past the breaking point. If they had explained it with a psionic focus, it would have been far easier.

I've seen a lot of hostility toward the idea of the Virus. Is it the concept or how it played out in the setting? It seems like a cool idea, but I prefer a darker, apocalyptic space setting to Traveller's fairly new and shiny feel (yes, even in the frontier).

Why do you hate the Virus?

Is there a version of the Virus that you could love?

I've always like Virus. Would be hypocritical, if i didn't on some level.
AotI explains why 3I is still standing after 1000 years. IMO in the 1980s, it was a mediocre government framework. But that's another topic.

I think development on GDWs part needed more products with a stable consistent Virus theme. And for that matter more Rebellion products with a bit more vision than Rebellion Sourcebook. At GDW, the assigned game designer called the shots, as long as it didn't get vetoed. They we're fully invested in creating a homogeneous system like GURPS. Hence, everything new was an experiment.

As others mentioned, Virus is easily misunderstood. Unlike the ST Borg and the Berserker books, Virus descriptions we're not repetitive and clear enough.

Perfecting Virus in 1248 was a huge mistake, IMO. It should never reached super machine nirvana. That was the point. It was the flawed manipulation of a race. Uplifting gone wrong. IMTU, I solve that definition problem. If a ref wants a successful Virus campaign they cannot be "all powerful" and it cannot magically transmit itself. That makes it slower, more terrifying, and the players more useful.

So, the guys that hated it wrote the fix in 1248. That makes no sense. The COTI concept for those buying into the 1248 forum was participation in the outcome. And a few bones we're tossed to various individual campaigns, I suppose. On a positive note, it was great to see a development effort like 1248. It was a step in the right direction.

IMTU, I solve that definition problem. If a ref wants a successful Virus campaign then the Aware cannot be "all powerful" and it cannot magically transmit itself. That makes it slower, more terrifying, and the players more useful. Then non techs will see Virus problems everywhere, and the Regency will make more sense.

I also had a really, really hard time with the whole Empress Wave thing that was going to destroy the Zhodani Consulate by wiping out all the psionic nobles, and then doing strange and unusual things to the Imperium. I mean, come on, how far out there into weird Space Opera land are you going to take this thing? I am not sure which rocket scientist came up with that and Virus to explain their f***ing up of a really great universe, but really?

"Baddies from the Core" was the DJP version, and it at least has the benefit of being somewhat believeable. With the Empress Wave/Virus you might as well have a level 18 Mage cast some spell that wipes out the world for all the belief you can have in it. D&D meets Traveller!

If they (GDW) had at least let DJP have a little more control, and put out more product then it might have turned around and Traveller might have survived.

MTU explanation of the Empress Wave - short version.

Grandfather didn't discover jump drive. He discovered a way to generate a 'quantum membrane' that would allow access to the higher dimensions where psionic technology (and entities) resides.
The device propagated a light speed wave that allowed jump drives to access jump dimensions - obviously there was a lead time.

Eventually Grandfather's wave would get to a psionic race far across the galaxy who responded by detonating a device of their own - which allows for even greater contact between the metaconscious entities residing beyond/within jump dimensions.

As it passes it has the unfortunate effects that are described.

No, for me, it stretched verisimilitude well past the breaking point. If they had explained it with a psionic focus, it would have been far easier.
I rationalised it by tying it to the synaptic circuitry used in higher TL computers and robot brains - probably needed to make them the equivalent of what we would consider a quantum computer using neural network structures.

I just assumed that Virus could reconfigure the synaptic circuitry to model the 'neural network' of the modified cymberline entity.

Yeah.

MTU explanation of the Empress Wave - short version.

Grandfather didn't discover jump drive. He discovered a way to generate a 'quantum membrane' that would allow access to the higher dimensions where psionic technology (and entities) resides.
The device propagated a light speed wave that allowed jump drives to access jump dimensions - obviously there was a lead time.

Eventually Grandfather's wave would get to a psionic race far across the galaxy who responded by detonating a device of their own - which allows for even greater contact between the metaconscious entities residing beyond/within jump dimensions.

As it passes it has the unfortunate effects that are described.

:rant:I have a sort of chip on my shoulder about the Terrans. Anything that supports Terra for Terrans or "Terran supremacy" is good in in my book. Call me a speciesist (?), guilty as charged. Must be growing up in and living in Chicago. So...

I LIKE Rebellion, because the Solomani get Terra back. That the Solomani are jackbooted thugs that whomp on poor Vegans, oh well.

I LIKE TNE and Virus because it gave me Children of Earth, a story that amongst other things, insures that Terra remains for Terrans. Now that Children of Earth is decanonized, I was not so happy.

I LIKE 1248 because there is a Terran Confederation free (relatively) of Virus. And hey the Solomani Hypothesis went Trailing. Good. Let the Hivers deal with that.

As long as Terra remains free, let the universe burn.:cool: That and "Go My Little Ponies of Death!":devil:

I also had a really, really hard time with the whole Empress Wave thing that was going to destroy the Zhodani Consulate by wiping out all the psionic nobles, and then doing strange and unusual things to the Imperium. I mean, come on, how far out there into weird Space Opera land are you going to take this thing? I am not sure which rocket scientist came up with that and Virus to explain their f***ing up of a really great universe, but really?

"Baddies from the Core" was the DJP version, and it at least has the benefit of being somewhat believeable. With the Empress Wave/Virus you might as well have a level 18 Mage cast some spell that wipes out the world for all the belief you can have in it. D&D meets Traveller!

If they (GDW) had at least let DJP have a little more control, and put out more product then it might have turned around and Traveller might have survived.
And yet I've not seen you weigh in on the "How do we improve T5 thread", or in as much as I've read of it. Because I touch on this very aspect of the old Game-verse-Setting issue, and to me your diatribe here really speaks to that.

Empress Wave was a weird trip alright. The energy it would have taken is mind boggling. "Let's destroy our sun and send out a psionic help call...warning...or whatever. Look I'm empress of the galaxy and I'll do whatever" Why the Zho would have been bothered is another question. The disturbance in the Force is a bit too out there. MTU just made it a bump in the psionic road of life.

?????? I'm not sure of your meaning.

And yet I've not seen you weigh in on the "How do we improve T5 thread", or in as much as I've read of it. Because I touch on this very aspect of the old Game-verse-Setting issue, and to me your diatribe here really speaks to that.

?????? I'm not sure of your meaning.

Traveller originated as rules. Then an exemplar setting was added. And then, it came to be mostly THE setting... Then, when the rules changed, the setting stayed mostly recognizable...and now, Mongoose is insisting it's only the rules tropes, not even the rules.

Traveller originated as rules. Then an exemplar setting was added. And then, it came to be mostly THE setting... Then, when the rules changed, the setting stayed mostly recognizable...and now, Mongoose is insisting it's only the rules tropes, not even the rules.

My big solution is just to stick around in the CT era and not worry about it. Ignorance is bliss.

Murph; just check out the T5 section :D

I've only skimmed the Mongoose rules. Can you tell me more about this?
Thanks!

I'm not sure of Wil's point, but with Mongoose the OTU setting is only a subset of their rules for Traveller. That there are rules in their core book which are decidedly NOT what the OTU is modeling. That MgT widens the rules to make room for other science fiction tropes. Like shields and tachyon guns, Star Wars and Star Trek and Babylon 5 etc.

Previously, the OTU showcased the entire ruleset. With Mongoose Traveller, the OTU is only using some of the rules.

I'm not sure of Wil's point, but with Mongoose the OTU setting is only a subset of their rules for Traveller. That there are rules in their core book which are decidedly NOT what the OTU is modeling. That MgT widens the rules to make room for other science fiction tropes. Like shields and tachyon guns, Star Wars and Star Trek and Babylon 5 etc.

Previously, the OTU showcased the entire ruleset. With Mongoose Traveller, the OTU is only using some of the rules.

That's a large part of it, but also Matthew's frequent statements in the blog in 2008 that "there is no Official Traveller Universe."

I've just scoured the Traveller Wiki for info on Virus. I see that TNE happened between 1992-1995 (about the time I dropped the game because of real life stuff). The article on virus is particular about how it thrived, but not all of what it did other than "scour life".

Is there a source book that's good for the background material? Is it available on Driviethru via PDF?

I'm kind of curious about it now because I totally skipped this portion of Traveller, and never bought one book from it.

Back