• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Worlds

Not sure if anyone wants worlds or not, but just in case. Some are from Fractal Terrains then exported to GIMP to map to a sphere, the gas giants are pure GIMP from a tutorial. Need to get back to the other fractal system I sometimes use.
I used to have a few ISS maps and things back on the old art forums. I can plop them back here if anyone want them. I just like making up worlds (then go way beyond the MOAR principle, but hey, we each get our fun where we can!)

Attachments

• gasgiant3.png
    gasgiant3.png
    282.1 KB · Views: 15
  • gasgiant2.png
    gasgiant2.png
    892.9 KB · Views: 16
  • planetA.png
    planetA.png
    689.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Alell Globe.jpg
    Alell Globe.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 16
  • CyanG2.png
    CyanG2.png
    151.1 KB · Views: 18
I didn't know you could map an image to a sphere in GIMP... that's good to know.

I've used Flaming Pear's "LunarCell" plugin to generate world images -- the software is fantastic, with plenty of controls, excellent results, and a lot of export options (flat versus sphere, and about a dozen flavors in between).

I've always wanted to use LunarCell with GIMP, but I don't know if GIMP can read it. I believe it is a Photoshop plugin -- and an ancient one, at that (maybe 2004?).

I did a quick check and did not find anything like the LunarCell for GIMP. Pretty sure the plug-in architecture is different (and really sure Adobe would have opinions about that as well...)

I've also taken hi-rez planet images (Mars, Jupiter, made up maps I find on the web) and use them sometimes. Though the world creating software I have does well enough. The planetgen program lets me set the hydrosphere up front, so it can be faster to get to the end map. It produces nice planets as well. I've not used it much recently, maybe time to play some more :)
1652487027269.png

I did find this tutorial for adding rings and how to add an atmospheric haze for the globes in GIMP: https://gimptutblog.wordpress.com/2010/10/26/creating-planets-and-planetary-rings-in-gimp/

GIMP can map images to a lot of things, not just spheres. It is a pretty complete art solution that I touch maybe 1% of. And do a lot of web searches on how to do things I want to do. Kinda like Campaign Cartographer: I can do the basic stuff but really need to take time to learn how to properly layer, add, and customize various formatting to make pretty maps.

I just don't have the time to play as much as I'd like with this stuff - I could spend days playing with the effects. To quote Shawn: Fun stuff!

Olympia
Traveller Map

I found a Gremi Park in Poland that looks like domes...

Attachments

• Gremi Park in Poland that looks like human base on Mars.jpg
    Gremi Park in Poland that looks like human base on Mars.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 13
  • olympiaIso.png
    olympiaIso.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • OlympiaOrtho.png
    OlympiaOrtho.png
    760.9 KB · Views: 7
  • OlympiaPrthoLat70.png
    OlympiaPrthoLat70.png
    752.4 KB · Views: 8
  • olympia1Page.jpg
    olympia1Page.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 12
Ahngrim (TravellerMap link)

I was running a game that went into the Great Rift (the Big Wreck) as I had the Mongoose maps and wanted to use them :)

For some reason I went with an...interesting...color scheme for the planet.

Attachments

• AhngrimIsoHex.png
    AhngrimIsoHex.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • ahngrimOrtho270.png
    ahngrimOrtho270.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • AhngrimPortArea.jpg
    AhngrimPortArea.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 14
  • AhngrimScount.jpg
    AhngrimScount.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 15
  • AhngrimSystem.png
    AhngrimSystem.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
Selshor

Traveller map: link

My blog post here: link

We'll see how well I can attach a smaller PDF here :) also the system file is from Heaven & Earth - still using that and one of my favorite pieces of software. I've had it through several Windows OS versions and it just works. I really like backwards compatibility!

I have a few system PDFs I generate when running games - think that several of them may be in the files section. Even though a lot of it is never used, it is fun for me.

Attachments

• Selshor_System.png
    Selshor_System.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 13
  • SelshorISS.jpg
    SelshorISS.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Selshor_System_001.png
    Selshor_System_001.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Selshor.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • Selshor.jpg
    Selshor.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 12
  • Globe1.jpg
    Globe1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 11
  • GlobalClimate1.jpg
    GlobalClimate1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 12
The Great Rift, Strand

Part of an adventure I was running a while back.

edit: And yes, I was using the old King Richard deck plans. printed them out and taped them all together.

Attachments

• StrandOrtho.png
    StrandOrtho.png
    912.4 KB · Views: 11
  • StrandScout.jpg
    StrandScout.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Strand.pdf
    324 KB · Views: 7
Antiquity

A chunk of this was created in Heaven & Earth. My notes on the starport on my blog here.

I may get to run another game: the one person in our group who does not like SF RPGs has dropped out (temporarily - he does this every few months it seems). Playing DELVE right now, then there is a FATE game, then hoping I can run an exploration Traveller game (what one player wants to run. which means new worlds to create as the OTU, unless we go way out on the fringes. and what I am hoping to do is what I read someone did here: players create their characters AND their home worlds, and that is the nucleus of the new OTU. We'll see - I fear I am the only one who really likes rolling up worlds so it may not work out that way).

The last two systems were created near the same time, so using the same software and default settings. I'll be using all my other stuff hopefully, so will have different fractal and whatever worlds. Even mess with the colors and things a bit more. Variety!

Attachments

• OrthoTilt29.png
    OrthoTilt29.png
    187.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Ortho180.png
    Ortho180.png
    189.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Ortho.png
    Ortho.png
    190.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IsoScout.png
    IsoScout.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • AntquityScoutA.png
    AntquityScoutA.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
edit: And yes, I was using the old King Richard deck plans. printed them out and taped them all together.
Man, I wish mine hadn't vanished somewhere in the past. I still have the book.

I have the matching set for the hotel though: blueprints, but the book is missing. LOL.

Man, I wish mine hadn't vanished somewhere in the past. I still have the book.

I have the matching set for the hotel though: blueprints, but the book is missing. LOL.
I sadly gave away the hotel blueprints for some reason. Kept everything else Traveller I think....I used one of the FFE CDs and printed out the King Richard's deck plans. They are rolled up in my other deck plans somewhere. Printed they were really about 15mm scale as per the original. We just used them mostly for tracking where things were.

Iomaria. I decided to walk through the Traveller 5 system generation by hand. Just to see how that works out.

Part 5 on my blog is here (blogspot blog in my sig), and there are links to the previous parts if interested. I am not entirely convinced I did it correctly, but it was fun regardless.

Plus, I just like making up planets. And may be starting a Traveller game early next year (though looks like we may end up using a different ruleset as we're going to experiment with more shared universe building and switching GMs every few sessions, but hopefully later in the year I'll run a real Traveller game!)

Attachments

• iomaria system.jpg
    iomaria system.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IsomariaGlobe1.png
    IsomariaGlobe1.png
    686.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IsomariaSphereWithClouds2.png
    IsomariaSphereWithClouds2.png
    876.5 KB · Views: 8
Subbed to your blog and look forward to going through it.

I have used Fractal Terrains and CC3+ to build worlds - but this is next level. I need the courage to dive into GIMP.

Subbed to your blog and look forward to going through it.

I have used Fractal Terrains and CC3+ to build worlds - but this is next level. I need the courage to dive into GIMP.
I have to use a tutorial everytime just about for GIMP. I did have a tutorial I added for some things using GIMP and all that several posts back. What I am doing is really not complicated. Mostly just playing with things, applying filters. and see what happens. For instance, adding a hex map turns out to use a new layer above the map, them a mosaic using hexagrams that happen to be "even" so that they are all the same size. I still have to find that tutorial & go through the steps each time. Eventually I'll do things enough to actually understand what I am doing and will hopefully be able to do more.

Attachments

• IsomariaHexGlobe1.png
    IsomariaHexGlobe1.png
    643.1 KB · Views: 7
I am really interested in the gas giants and exotic/hostile worlds you built (which I think were all GIMP) so I will begin work on that. Great work.

I am really interested in the gas giants and exotic/hostile worlds you built (which I think were all GIMP) so I will begin work on that. Great work.
search for creating planets in GIMP, there are a number of really nice tutorials. Really need to get back to doing more of those myself! I've yet to master the atmospheric haze part around the edge of a planet. I keep trying and failing to follow the directions apparently. But that is one of my next things to get working (just making the edge "fuzzy" would work I think)

Ugh, Traveller planet gen. Planets in the liquid water zone can't hold liquid water unless they're size 7+. They can't hold oxygen unless they're size 5 (and even small 5s will lose oxygen over billions of years.) At size 4 a planet can barely hold CO2.

Ugh, Traveller planet gen. Planets in the liquid water zone can't hold liquid water unless they're size 7+. They can't hold oxygen unless they're size 5 (and even small 5s will lose oxygen over billions of years.) At size 4 a planet can barely hold CO2.
A fix I thought about implementing was to redefine the size stat. Instead of size = diameter in 1000 miles, it would be size = radius in 1000 km.

That would cut down on the the tiny planets holding onto atmospheres they have no business holding onto quite a bit. Downside is you need to restat canonical homeworlds. (e.g. Terra becomes size 6.)

It would also allow for larger terrestrial worlds than 16000 km diameter.

A fix I thought about implementing was to redefine the size stat. Instead of size = diameter in 1000 miles, it would be size = radius in 1000 km.

That would cut down on the the tiny planets holding onto atmospheres they have no business holding onto quite a bit. Downside is you need to restat canonical homeworlds. (e.g. Terra becomes size 6.)

It would also allow for larger terrestrial worlds than 16000 km diameter.
I’m going to seriously consider this. Superearths are proving to be far more common.

Back