• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Worlds

Not sure if anyone wants worlds or not, but just in case. Some are from Fractal Terrains then exported to GIMP to map to a sphere, the gas giants are pure GIMP from a tutorial. Need to get back to the other fractal system I sometimes use.
I used to have a few ISS maps and things back on the old art forums. I can plop them back here if anyone want them. I just like making up worlds (then go way beyond the MOAR principle, but hey, we each get our fun where we can!)

Attachments

• gasgiant3.png
    gasgiant3.png
    282.1 KB · Views: 16
  • gasgiant2.png
    gasgiant2.png
    892.9 KB · Views: 17
  • planetA.png
    planetA.png
    689.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Alell Globe.jpg
    Alell Globe.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 19
  • CyanG2.png
    CyanG2.png
    151.1 KB · Views: 20
I was working on Ffudn and used default colors, when I realized that this size 4 world was probably not the regular colors, particularly with a trace atmosphere. So I started with the Mars color scheme, then played a bit, then added some filters. Still no idea where this is going, but it is fun stuff.

Attachments

• FfudnOrthoM2Edge (Medium).png
    FfudnOrthoM2Edge (Medium).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • FfudnOrthoM2Cartoon (Medium).png
    FfudnOrthoM2Cartoon (Medium).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • FfudnOrthoM2 (Medium).png
    FfudnOrthoM2 (Medium).png
    568.6 KB · Views: 7
  • FfudnOrtho (Medium).png
    FfudnOrtho (Medium).png
    862 KB · Views: 7
  • FfudnOrthoM2Predator.png
    FfudnOrthoM2Predator.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • FfudnorthoMarsSmall.png
    FfudnorthoMarsSmall.png
    869.5 KB · Views: 11
Try Luna and/or Mercury colors.
I will, but the color file looks like the below, so I just have to play around with RGB colors until something looks "good" (the 1st column is the height sort of I think, then background and a few things. not until 6 does it matter. So I play with different values just to see what happens)

0 0 0 0
1 255 255 255
2 255 255 255
3 0 0 0
4 0 0 0
5 255 0 0
6 155 128 175
130 136 92 180
131 148 100 182
180 232 164 190
230 248 180 192
255 165 128 108

edit: and probably could be more intentional as it is easy enough to look up the RGB colors. But as per a movie villain, I like to play with things a while, before...

edit 2: and my "spaghetti on the wall" I've already established that there is a lot of moss and lichen as there is native lifeforms on the planet. Though much larger water critters. My blog has my musings for MTU version of Ffudn

Just as an FYI, my wrapper around the planet generator lets you mess with the color schemes.

but where's the fun of trying multiple edits? I had forgotten honestly, so will try that to see how it works for me. And I am old and do like the command line, usually for scripting purposes. Which reminds me that I wanted to script things that, once I had the seed and other data I had working, to process the various projections and views automatically (simply replacing the projection, lat/long, grid and output files and having a sequence. And I say that, and then don't mess with the program for 6-12 months and forget about doing that).

and a few minutes with playing with your wrapper - nice!

Quantor (MTU). Old West vibe, but only a few ranches. The sheriff was big on spitting out tobacco. She was a fun NPC. OneDrive link top the people of Quantor PDF.
Globe1.png

Attachments

• Starport.png
    Starport.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • Q'auntorSystem.png
    Q'auntorSystem.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Q'auntor_relief.png
    Q'auntor_relief.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • Q'auntor.jpg
    Q'auntor.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Port_Authority.png
    Port_Authority.png
    540.4 KB · Views: 11
  • globe2.png
    globe2.png
    228.8 KB · Views: 12
Yea, that's my typical MO. I have lots of irons in the fire, so to speak :).

Thanks!
Alas even running as administrator, the planet-1.0 exe seems to just stop working after promising to configure a planet for me. I am trying to figure out if it is some sort of permissioning issue.

I was working on Ffudn and used default colors, when I realized that this size 4 world was probably not the regular colors, particularly with a trace atmosphere. So I started with the Mars color scheme, then played a bit, then added some filters. Still no idea where this is going, but it is fun stuff.
Are these color shades from GIMP or done whilst still in FT3+?

Gah same response. The configuring progress bar and window just disappear without an error message or new window. Windows 10 machine. Let me know if there is anything you can think of. It looks cool.

Are these color shades from GIMP or done whilst still in FT3+?
I was using the command line fractal planet generator, so adjusting the color file (a text file). Not sure I can do that in Fractal Terrain as it is assuming an earth-like world I think. Though there may be other options - I vaguely recall something. Now will have to poke around when I can get some time!
Alas even running as administrator, the planet-1.0 exe seems to just stop working after promising to configure a planet for me. I am trying to figure out if it is some sort of permissioning issue.
I've run the program though a world a couple of times but not a lot. I am running Win11 though (and early release [aka beta tester] at that). It seems to work for me, but I've not really played a lot with it. I just really prefer the command line even though the GUI is a lot easier.

For non-earth worlds I have still be using FT+3 but adjusting the color palettes. I think I should try out the generator. If I cannot get Whartung's wrapper to work I will try the source.

Attachments

• upper_circuit_3.jpg
    upper_circuit_3.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 8
Gah same response.
That's really weird. Mind, I'm not a Windows person. I did the build on a VM of Windows 10 (I think), "it works for me". I would think the MSI should work, I mean it's just a bunch of files, it's not "my" code running, its the MS Installer code. It doesn't, you know, DO anything. Just, essentially, unzips a folder somewhere and maybe registers an icon.

The only other thing I can suggest is getting a JDK (17+), Maven, the source code, and build it yourself. Which is a pain in the neck, but it's all documented on the first page.

Just reminds me of way back when, I wrote an app using MS-Access. I chose Access because it was an MS product. I wrote the app, and tried to install it on someones machine (the person it was ostensibly written for in the first place), and it didn't work. And I couldn't make it work. It installed fine on several other machines, but refused to work on hers. And the arcane depths of Windows, I simply never delved into. It was always dark, sharp corners, low ceilings, and no helmet.

Linux and MacOS are getting more and more opaque every day, but I still feel I have a modicum of actual command of the environment. No doubt an illusion, but I still feel better about it.

It makes no f'ing sense but it is the world of Windows. I do have an old frankenstein desktop computer (I have replaced everything but the motherboard in the last ten years) and when something bizarre like this happens I do wonder if I have pushed this too far.

I thought a reboot might help but it did not.

I will try the original and see what happens.

For non-earth worlds I have still be using FT+3 but adjusting the color palettes. I think I should try out the generator. If I cannot get Whartung's wrapper to work I will try the source.
I really need to play with FT more. It was part of a bundle and I've barely scratched the surface!

If I had to bet, the lower teched worlds of the Imperium still use socket AM4.

ASRock_B450M_Pro4_R2_0__Mainboard@@1471168.jpg

ASTRORock

and the last of the worlds of the D'Arlee Quadrant that I had worked up, Yllom. I may get around to doing more at some point as I really want to run a Traveller game again, I just need to adjust it to the group I have now vs the group I had in college 40 years ago (who really liked Traveller so we got into the nuts and bolts of things - current group does not want to get into that level of detail). System map was via CC3 with the Cosmology plugin if I recall, not Google draw this time! And of course, use of the TravellerMap APIs for various jump maps and all that.

YllomScout.jpg

Attachments

• j3.png
    j3.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
  • ScoutIso.png
    ScoutIso.png
    624.6 KB · Views: 5
  • YllomOrtho90.png
    YllomOrtho90.png
    218.3 KB · Views: 3
  • YllomSystem.PNG