• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A Proto-Traveller sized ATU

Originally posted by Fritz88:
One more refinement: How about one bit (I'm thinking the "K"s in B2/B3) is Sumerian/Babylonian/Assyrian? Any archeaologists out there?
A few ideas:
- Nirgal
- Ningal
- Ninurta
- Ninlil
- Anunaki
- Tiamat
- Gilgamesh
- Enkidu
- Nipur
- Inanna
- Ur
- Elul/Enlil
- Tamuz
- Tar'ne Gulu
- Ziggurat
- Nevuzaradan
- Nevukhadnezar
- Marduk
- Ishtar
- Shamash
- Ninveh
- Humbaba
- Anu

A few Cnaanite/Ancient Hebrew/Ancient Near-East Names:
- Gezer
- Hazor
- El
- Ba'al
- Ashera
- Anat
- Ashtoreth
- Shalem
- Elyon
- Yam
- Mot
- Haddad
- Dagon
- Yarikh
- Reseph

Balinsha could be dropped in anywhere.

And Fritz88? The whole thing is Jackson LAX Fremickeymantle, if that makes it clearer.

Thanks, 2-4601. (And, I found that Anunaki basically translates to "Heaven & Earth". Heh.)
Edited to give proper credit

Jame, whence comes Balinsha? Is it a sector or subsector name? Ooh, it would probably work as one of those non-tagged subsectors! (And, I will have to figure out where to use the Fremickeymantle bit. It is entirely too good to pass up. :D )

That was Employee, not me.

And Piper's right - Vilani's spelling system is based on Sumerian.

Scott, thanks. I appreciate the help.
I think it will work out on my server, as you can see the small group of folks working here. I think my limitation is a "per 4 hours" thing, anyway.

And, yes, I think I have a few candidate worlds that meet your criteria.

I assume that you are looking for a setting with a complete absence of the 3I.

If this is the case, I have a polity that you may be interested in "transplanting" into this ATU, but the boundary areas would be a bit problematic.

I also think that some of your "Mains" should have more than one polity associated with them, especially the ones with more than 100 systems in them. I'd be tempted to do polities by random world generation (which you could automate) and then any group of worlds that:
1) was on the same J-1 "main"
2) had more than 1 hi-pop world within 3 or 4 parsecs (tiral and eror here to get the right spacing)
3) Had at least one "Rich" "Poor" or "Ag" planet within a 3-4 parsec radius

this would "seed" the starting capitals and meant that you might have pocket empires in 3-4 world clusters, but are more likely to have a polity in the larger "mains", while the HUGE mains are likely to have multiple polities.

Scott Martin

Scott, that's how things would have been 500 years ago. But, the numerous polities in the large mains got subsumed into the overall star nation.

Everyone is in a dark age (no interstellar contact - think Long Night), and J1 comes back unevenly across those worlds. So, the polities grow and have conflict, and merge. The clusters just off the big mains may or may not have been subsumed by the monster polities when J2 is re-discovered.

In looking at the systems I got previously (via my LBB6 Excel spreadsheet - 2d draft), I had a lot of TL7-9 systems. (I also had a few TL0! :eek: ) So, anybody with J2 is somewhat dominant - J3 is an empire builder!

Originally posted by Plankowner:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jame:
For Americans:

Mississippi, New Oregon and Custer from Plankowner; Lincoln, Washington, Columbia, Nova York, Concord.
NOT Mississippi, but MISSIPPI (I mis-spelled it deliberately). </font>[/QUOTE]Who is this Ms. Ippi, and can you persuaded to post a picture of her? ;)

For the Greek subsectors, how about using names of the characters of old Greek legends, or of the places where these legends take place?

People (I´ll skip the obvious ones such as Heracles):
- Bellerophon
- Penthesilea
- Alcmeon
- Iphigenia
- Diomedes
- Deucalion
- Dedalos
- Augias

Places:
- Erymanthea
- Kolchis
- Knossos
- Ithaca
- Lerna
- Neme(i)a(?)

Chaos, I'll have to look at how many subsectors I have left in that section. I actually used words with some meaning, translated to Greek, then "aged". We can definitely save any extras for systems, though.

Chaos: Ms. Ippi is a very private person... there are no known pictures of her, but the Paparazzi keep trying. :devil:

As for the pronunciation, it would actually be "mizIPPI", so it would indeed sound like a ladies name...

Other suggestions for "random" names:

Gewel (aged spelling of Jewel)
Casta-Gilion (a double habitable planet system)
Runner's Luck
Calamity
Rashdon (aged spelling of Crashdown)
Arrakis (gotta have Dune)
Masada (Jewish Fortress)
Atari (yes, the video game)
Nesia (shortened from Indonesia - a watery world)
Hellgate (originally "Hell's Gate")

Phalacksis, perhaps?

Thousides, Nosus and Marethan for Greek. Parsagada, Sardas and Permpeita.

Originally posted by Fritz88:
Chaos, I'll have to look at how many subsectors I have left in that section. I actually used words with some meaning, translated to Greek, then "aged". We can definitely save any extras for systems, though.
I don´t speak Greek, so I´ll have to resort to old legends. Some of these names do sound rather poetic, though. I like poetic-sounding names.

Let's not forget the odd ship Captains that would rather name worlds for his pet hamster rather than use the list of names provided by the OverGovernment...

Petunia, Frisky, Constance, Deadfall, Howdydudee, Notherone, Primus Prime etc...

In keeping with the immediately previous post, my suggestions are:

Alegebalus, Anyone, Anberanee, Beth Shane, Onomatootamono, Cenlisksil, Blont, Keekeelick.

What about (tongue planted firmly in cheek):

Macedon
Mesoniin
Mycenae
MyPlace
iScapePod
Ghillie-Gonziland

On a (slightly) more serious side, nearly every sector has its Tarsus, Clarke and Starfall (some may even have more than one!), and of course those worlds each have a town named Springfield and a body of water called Mud Lake...

Originally posted by Jame:
Onomatootamono
:eek:

Having said that...
Ahem, gentleman!
alpha.gif

Let's not get ahead of ourselves (at least ahead of me!), and let's focus on names for all those lettered subsectors. We have a great slew of names here, some of which make for decent subsector names. Please tag them to a letter designator from the grid. I will post an updated file, soon, I promise.

Tiamat Sector:
A Nirgal
B Ningal
C Ninurta
D Ninlil
E Anunaki
F Marduk
G Gilgamesh
H Enkidu
I Nipur
J Inanna
K Ur