• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A Proto-Traveller sized ATU

Originally posted by Fritz88:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jame:
Onomatootamono
:eek: </font>[/QUOTE]What, you no like, eh?
file_23.gif

It's almost Onomatopoeia, but deliberately screwed up.

Sorry I'm late to the thread, been travelling.

Just some quick notes about BCS (Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian)/SCr (Serbo-Croatian) naming conventions. First, it is a little hard because regions are generally named after the major feature in the region (river or mountain, such as Crna Gora which means Black Mountain). Not sure how that translates into this scale of things. Second, regions are also named functionally, which can be easy in some cases. Third, names are often relational, so you will often have a "bigger" and a "smaller" of the same name, or an "upper" and "lower."

Some just jump out at me, for example, C3-D would make a good Veza (connection for communication) subsector. What ever you are going to name the rift in the middle, at least one of the subsectors should be Po (along) then the name of the rift (for example, the Posavina region basically means Po (along) Sava (the Sava river).

Also, Where ever you have had a contentious border region should be called the Krajina (boundry or edge, but it has a distinct military connotation). You could have several border subsectors based on the history.

Were you going to break down specific subsectors between Serb, Croat, and Bosnian just have them all mixed together?

Ok, some more thoughts about the SCr region based on a closer look at the map. I'd start by designating larger "regions."

Starting at B3-L moving down through B3-P, C3-D, C3-H, and ending in C3-L would be the Poriftina (along the rift) region.

Starting in C4-B and moving down through C4-F, then sliding over into C4-G,K, and O would be the Dugi Put (Doogee Poot, Long Path or Road) which is a very long main that runs through those subsectors.

One of the remaining regions could be a Krajina, but I don't know the history to know which one should have that name.

Other names that would be good for subsectors

Danica (Danitsa)- Morning Star, usually used to indicate a new begining.

Tabor - Fotress

Sandjak - From a Turkish word for region, but it denotes the area predominently settled by Slavic Muslims within Serbia proper.

Banat or Banovina - A self governing territory (similar concept to a "county" as Bans also carried the title of Count in German).

Other names that are common and might be part of star system names:

Luka - Port

Brod - Boat (ferry)

Most - Bridge

And descriptive words:

Veliki - Great or large

Manji - Smaller

Donjni - Lower

Stari - Old

Novi - New

2-4601, I'll see what I can do with those. I do like.

Ranger, really good info! Thank you! Now I must go place some things and see what it looks/sounds like. :D

Jame, yeah, I like Onomototootie ... Onomatootankamen ... Onomotherpita ... what you said, dagnabit! ;)

Glad I could help. The language rules for BCS/SCr are kind of tricky, so if you want me to double check any of your names, I'd be happy to. For example, it would be Novi Tabor, but Nova Luka.

Thanks, Ranger. I will bear that in mind, and let you see what I come up with. One of the bits will be that many of the names will have "degenerated" over several millenia. But the difference you mention would be obvious.

OK everyone, here are the sectors/subsectors so far. I will place a row (of sectors) in each post so this doesn't get too ugly. Please advise on the remaining sectors/subsectors. This supersedes the original grid (2d post). They are in the format: Ref--Name (or placeholder)--origin/meaning. (Oh, and thank you for the help, so far!
)

B2--Anunaki--[Babylonian: Anunaki (heaven & earth)]
A--SAB--
B--SAB--
C--SAB--
D--Kish--(Sumerian dynasty)
E--SAB--
F--SAB--
G--SAB--
H--Rabisu--(Babylonian demon - the seizer)
I--SAB--
J--SAB--
K--SAB--
L--Arrakis / PP--
M--Seadar--(Cedar, Lebanon)
N--Salem--(Salem / Shalom)
O--Morae--(Moreh)
P--PP--

B3--Lagash / WW--[Sumerian: (first Sumer kingdom) / WW: ]
A--Uruk--(Sumerian dynasty)
B--Inana--(Sumerian god of Venus)
C--WW--
D--WW--
E--Shulgi--(Sumerian king)
F--Enlil--(Sumerian deity of ghost land)
G--WW--
H--WW--
I--PP--
J--X--
K--X--
L--WW / Prelast--WW:
Serb: prilaz (avenue, approach)
M--PP--
N--PP--
O--X--
P--Kiseo--Serb: (sour)

B4--Pustchet--[Serb: pust cetvrt (desolate quarter)]
A--WW--
B--x--
C--x--
D--x--
E--WW--
F--x--
G--x--
H--x--
I--WW / Nikud--WW:
Serb: nikud (nowhere)
J--x--
K--x--
L--x--
M--Pegreneemos--Serb: pkretni most (drawbridge)
Edit
N--Balinsha--Jame
end edit
O--Gerdanlik / Derdan--Turkish/Serb: Necklace
P--x--

The "C" row:

C2--QQ--[]
A--QQ--
B--QQ--
C--QQ--
D--PP--
E--QQ--
F--QQ--
G--QQ--
H--PP--
I--QQ--
J--QQ--
K--QQ--
L--x--
M--QQ--
N--QQ--
O--QQ--
P--QQ--

C3--PP--[]
A--PP--
B--PP--
C--PP--
D--Sb--
E--PP--
F--PP--
G--x--
H--Rasechan--Serb: rasejan (far away)
I--PP--
J--x--
K--x--
L--Dalek--Serb: dalek (far)
M--x--
N--x--
O--x--
P--Dromoes--Greek: suntomos dromos (cut off)

C4--Danica--[Serb: danica (morning star)]
A--Sb--
B--Sb--
C--Sandhak--Serb: sandjak (region of turks w/in Serbia)
D--Sb--
E--Pogrot Lo--Serb: po grotlo (along chasm)
F--Sb--
G--Sb--
H--Sb--
I--Grotlo--Serb: grotlo (chasm)
J--Banatost'voe / Pomoneesi--Serb: banat ostrvo (area of self rule - island)
-- --Greek: apomonumenos nisi (isolated island)
K--Sb--
L--Kineska--Serb: kineska (Chinese)
M--Chasm--Greek: chasm (chasm)
N--Sparti (/Tanya)--Greek: sparta
-- --Magyar: tanya (homestead)
O--Koplyae/ Fithiotas (/Kurt)--Serb: koplje (spear)/koplja (spearhead)
-- --Greek: Phthiotis (region of Thermopylae)
-- --Magyar: kert (garden)
P--⌧eiah--Greek:

C5--FF--[]
Edit
A--Alegebalus--Jame
end edit
B--x--
C--x--
D--x--
E--FF--
F--FF--
G--FF--
H--x--
I--Detleena / FF--Serb: detelina (clover)
-- --FF:
J--FF--
K--FF--
L--FF--
M--FF--
N--FF--
O--FF--
P--FF--

The "D" row:

D2--QQ / Khtaoyashkal--[QQ: / Aslan]
A--QQ--
B--QQ--
C--QQ--
D--QQ--
E--QQ--
F--QQ--
G--QQ--
H--x--
I--Koikhuaew--Aslan
J--Kaieikhktuiwas--Aslan
K--Ewaeahkhiei--Aslan
L--x--
M--Aaokhe--Aslan
N--Akhktoiois--Aslan
O--Eiuahkotyulrea--Aslan
P--Txiki--Basque: (small)

D3--Shurga ?--[Vilani]
A--x--
B--x--
C--x--
D--Sentomo--Greek: suntomos dromos (cut off)
E--x--
F--x--
G--x--
H--Perawn--Greek: peran (across)
I--x--
J--x--
K--x--
L--Mikronusy--Greek: micros nisi (small islands)
M--Rohocha--Swahili: roho -acha (life desert)
N--x--
O--x--
P--Upper Marianas--

D4--Agrotikospiti--[Greek: (homestead)]
A--Pa'o--
B--Kradtos--
C--Doromay--
D--Diaugazo--
E--D'dromose--Greek: didromos (corridor)
F--Purenas--
G--Prezbutros--
H--Dunaamis--
I--Okneiros--
J--Paruseia--
K--Sug'kak--
L--Eueriio--ancient name for Ireland
M--Landsend--
N--Am--
O--Hudson--
P--Gwined--Gwynedd

D5--Ezdievlstia'Qrodrfiar / Old Expanses--[Zhodani / Published name]
A--Euboea--
B--FF/ Ifigenya--Greek: Iphigenia
C--FF--
D--FF--
E--D'reek--Phoenician: dareek (road)
F--Yadd--Phoenician: yad (arm)
G--x--
H--x--
I--Prydain--from an old name for Picts
J--Sikhe--Vilani
K--Qlianzzietsveptlir--Zhodani
L--Qonzhasetleatl--Zhodani
M--Leyons--Lyonesse
N--Ieblekrep--Zhodani
O--Brirdeobryi--Zhodani
P--Shieplchinch--Zhodani

And, finally, the "E" row:

E2--Feayeuih--[Aslan]
A--Oieahealr--Aslan
B--Tyeaosoifa--Aslan
C--Traihlaheaiyoih--Aslan
D--Stoiuaurealrei--Aslan
E--Yohhayo--Aslan
F--Larlyuouwar--Aslan
G--Teieaworei--Aslan
H--Niguatonkye--Swahili: nikwata mkia (gecko tail)
I--Iroyeoi--Aslan
J--Ileaisstea--Aslan
K--Ftairloilea--Aslan
L--Ulhfishtoihkiyeaskais--Aslan
M--Ftyerlroui--Aslan
N--Ftikhaoi--Aslan
O--Fauheleaaui--Aslan
P--Yeryawyawye--Aslan

E3--Riftspan--[]
A--Refoon'ia--Swahili: refu njia (long road)
B--Jopendaeku--Wollof: jaappandeku (hold onto)
C--Tad'dy--Malagasy: tadidy (to remember)
D--Marianas--
E--Goendy--Swahili: gondi (claw)
F--Tertoowarr--Wollof: teretuwaar (footpath)
G--Gulf (CW)--
H--Clark--
I--x--
J--x--
K--Gulf--
L--Lewis--
M--x--
N--x--
O--Gulf (RW)--
P--Misippy--

E4--Columbia--[]
A--Am--
B--Am--
C--Nova Albon--(New England)
D--Nova Pritani/ Snoudoni--(New Scotland / Snowdonia)
E--Am--
F--Am--
G--Flora--(Hero of Battle of Great Bridge)
H--Ootuh--(Utah - inside joke)
I--Am--
J--Cumberland--
K--Mazonn--(Amazon)
L--Goliad--
M--Jackson--
N--Estecado--Spanish: (staked) - from llano estecado in TX
O--Chiwako'adel--Aztec: god - Cihuacoatl
P--Miksco'adel--Aztec: god - Mixcoatl

E5--Savravlbri--[Zhodani]
A--Alouion--(Albion)
B--Ikiaflned--Zhodani
C--Briajenzhtlemesharie'--Zhodani
D--Dierchtetiialazh--Zhodani
E--Makauaa--Vilani
F--Rntasevledlza--Zhodani
G--Eajdriebrodl--Zhodani
H--Ia'Dlieol--Zhodani
I--Chapjentzda--Zhodani
J--Tleznia--Zhodani
K--Tletslibl--Zhodani
L--Klaflie--Zhodani
M--Aiakrzhdomaansvi--Zhodani
N--Setlzhdencheeie--Zhodani
O--Tloviansh--Zhodani
P--Bisipla--Zhodani

Some of these have dual names (as you will notice). This occurs if there are two polities inside the subsector that are strong enough (or were, when the naming conventions came about millenia ago) to insist on their own name for the area.

Yes, I know that everyone (especially after a dark age) would have their own reference points, and few of these polities would actually cross subsector lines (their own) the way they do here. Yeah, like I have time to deal with that.... :rolleyes:

Ranger, please take a look at the bits in B3, B4, C3, C4, and C5. Thanks.

[sounds of crickets]
C'mon, guys! I, at the least, need some ideas for the FF, PP, QQ, and WW bits. At least give me a good source from which to work.
(I really appreciate the info, so far. Thanks!
)

Dude! :eek: I could have sworn Balinsha was in there! I will have to check my paper copy. I will also have another go through the thread to check your other suggestions. :(

(I like most of your names for worlds, though - they just seem right to me for that sort of thing. Though, I wonder if I should have an "American" subsector called Mantle....)

Edit:
Acch!
I did forget Balinsha! I'm fixing that right now! (And adding in "Alegebalus" in C5, A.)
Oh, and I did use "Snowdonia". It is in sector E4, subsector D: Nova Pritani/ Snoudoni--(New Scotland / Snowdonia) :D
end edit

I really haven't had time to sit down and go through the map, but I did notice a couple of things that are linguistic issues. Both are really pretty minor unless you are dealing with native speakers.

Sandjak is actually spelled Sandžak and the (dž) is one letter (I just spelled it with the j for easy of typing on a western latin keyboard, which I shouldn't have because there is also a đ which is spelled dj on western keyboards). If you are going to drop or change a letter, I'd drop the d and and just go with Sanhak or Sanjak (which is actually the Croatian spelling).

Pustcet is a nice composition. One thing that would happen though is that the hard ch (č) would turn into a soft ch (ć) because the ć is simply the č with a very soft t sound at the front of it. So, when you put the t in front of the č in Pustčet, it would turn into Pusćet over time.

I also noticed that your using all Serbian forms, so you might want to use the Serbian Cyrillic alphabet too. It's not that hard to turn on in windows and you just have to print out a key map to know where all the funky keys are. I have my computer set up so I can switch between four different key boards just by clicking on the task bar at the bottom.

If you did, you end up with санџак for sandzak and пусћет for puscet.

Originally posted by Ranger:
Just some quick notes about BCS (Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian)/SCr (Serbo-Croatian) naming conventions. First, it is a little hard because regions are generally named after the major feature in the region (river or mountain, such as Crna Gora which means Black Mountain). Not sure how that translates into this scale of things. Second, regions are also named functionally, which can be easy in some cases. Third, names are often relational, so you will often have a "bigger" and a "smaller" of the same name, or an "upper" and "lower."
Okay, Ranger. You say all this, but you don't give us the words.
So, give us some examples of the following words in BCS/SCr or some other Slavic goodness(I give examples in babblefish Spanish):
region/territory(some words for sectors and subsectors):región, territorio
star:sol, estrella
string or chain(some term for a main):cadena, encadenamiento
rift/hole/void,gap(one guess what that's for): grieta, agujero, vacío, boquete
bigger/greater:más grande, mayor
smaller/lesser:más pequeño, menos
upper: alto
high: alto!
lower/low: más bajo, bajo

This seems like it might be a useful topic in itself. Useful geographical/astrographical terminology in various languages. I'm tempted...

EDIT: me ineptum. That's what I get for posting before reading the whole thread. Still more words would rock and all.

Alik, c'mon, toss in your Cr0.02, too! We still have 4 major groupings to toy with.

Ranger, I'm not ready yet to do something like use a Cyrillic alphabet. It is a thought for the final stages, though. I will take a look at those spelling changes.

Back