• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

All in the family

If at high tech levels clothing cleans itself what does it do with the waste? Some of which could be quite noxious or in some cases a biohazard.

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Oops, I just found this:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Sanitary necessities are handled by the fresher, which includes a multi-function shower, a toilet, a sink, and a small washer/dryer...
CT Adventure 13: Signal GK, p27. </font>[/QUOTE]There ya go. It is in most staterooms, and certainly isn't in the Galley.

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Couldn't laundry facilities be built into those multi-purpose freshers? Or alternatively, just get showered fully clothed ;)
Odd that even large ships like the Azhanti, and even Kinunir, that laundry facilities aren't included?
This could explain that odd smell that the scout/courier picks up ;)
Built into the Fresher it is. (You found it good sir.
) But getting showered fully clothed? What is the fun in that? What about the recreational purposes of a shower? How do you get a beautiful member of the opposite sex to wash your back if you don't take off your shirt? If that is the Laundry of the future, keep me at this TL!!

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bhoins:
If you are a high passenger then the Steward comes in and tidies up your room and hangs your clothes up for you. The closet does the rest.
OMG! I'm living in the wrong TL. </font>[/QUOTE]Chris,
Go to Lowes. They have a closet that is a clothes dryer, or a dryer that is a closet. (Depending on your point of view.) At least that is where I saw it.

Sidd, thanks for nailing that down! I knew if we looked hard enough, we would find the answer. After 25+ years of development, most every conceivable ships function has probably already been addressed. Time to look at making the fresher a little larger.... hmmmmm.
Actually the fresher in my typical staterooms are full sized bathrooms, or as "full" as you can get in a 5-0"'x6'-6" room... But it includes a enclosed shower, a toilet, a sink with cabinets above and below, and even enough room to take of your shirt.
I just got on a deck plan web group. I'll try to have several versions of "typical" staterooms by this weekend for comments and suggestions.
Jaknaz

Originally posted by Bhoins:
Chris,
Go to Lowes. They have a closet that is a clothes dryer, or a dryer that is a closet. (Depending on your point of view.) At least that is where I saw it.
Bhoins,

I was interested in the "closet does the rest" part (i.e. wash, dry, press; especially the press part). If the closet does everything (other than load the clothes), then I want one!

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bhoins:
Chris,
Bhoins,

I was interested in the "closet does the rest" part (i.e. wash, dry, press; especially the press part). If the closet does everything (other than load the clothes), then I want one!
</font>[/QUOTE]Well we already have washers that are also dryers, we now have a dryer that drys clothes that are hung up so permament press doesn't have wrinkles. And we have Drycleaning in your dryer. How much longer before we have one that does all of the above? I figure 3-5 more years tops.

I would imagine that they would also have wrinke resistant(which actually means they get less wrinkles than other fabrics)or even truly wrinkle free fabrics so that when they get washed and dried they are imediately ready to waer (wash and wear, like in the 60's).
file_23.gif

And the Higher the tech level the more stain, oder,and wrinkle free the materials becomes.

Also lest we forget, at higher tech levels the fabric may take on more functions. Perhaps it can reflect heat, cold, rain and wind. It could be plugged into a recorder that produces pleasing sight and sound shows or turns Chamelean. You could program it to give personal messages on voice command. :cool:

Originally posted by Straybow:
Memory-fiber stain-proof cloth. Now yer talkin'!
Paper derivative, disposable, recycleable clothes. Wear it, throw it away, it is pulped, cleaned, reformed into new clothes, automatically tailored exactly to the size and correct fashion for the new wearer.

Your view of how cramped a cabin is also depends on your point of view. In all the posts here we are assuming that the passengers will all be human. What is okay for a human would be a bit small for a Virushi (not sure of spelling), but really spacious for a Droyne. I once let my players book a group of 20 desperate Droyne 5 to a stateroom for mid passage rates.

On another point. In an emergency rescue/evacuation mission, how many people could you get into every 1 dton of cargo bay. Using bunk beds, I would guess at 2 per dton. But I think extra life support would have to be installed. This could be a portable unit, on a truck bed or cargo container etc. There is also the issue that if the cargo bay is 2 decks high, a lot of the upper space would be wasted.

Using bunk beds, I would guess at 2 per ton.
Probably 4. Emergeny low berths hold 4 people/dTon with the nessersary machinery to keep them alive, so at least that should be acheivable.

For evacuation you would want them to be low berths, it simplifys air supply and food issues immensely.

Half-bunks are half a ton, and are long term life support for 1, 2 if hot bunked, and include access space.

Now, realistically, assuming 1.5 x 1.5 x 3m, one could probably bunk 4-6 people in that, assuming submarine type accommodations, and minimal LS gear.

And, if you think Type-S funk is bad, wait till you get 50 refugees crammed in that hold, and you don't know what to do with them!

Excellent Flykiller. Nice layouts for staterooms. I'll have to steal..... uh, use those myself. :D Hope you are planning to enter the Deckplan Contest here on CotI.

^ Great idea Fly! I like using MSPaint to sketch deckplans so these will come in handy. Thanks!

Back