• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Aspects of the Rebellion Era that snap people's disbelief suspenders

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
You wouldn't, by any chance, happen to have that written out in a referenceable table, would you? [/QB]
I would indeed. I posted it to a thread on the IISS board.

You wouldn't, by any chance, happen to have that written out in a referenceable table, would you? [/QB]

Originally posted by daryen:
My explanation is that the map in the MT boxed set shows the extent of Aslan penetration, not their actual conquests (though they did end up with some of the lo-pop worlds). MTJ showed their stable expanded borders, and RSB showed the reestablished traditional borders instituted by the Regency.

(Same thing for the Vargr to coreward. The MT map shows the extent of their reach, not actual conquests.)
Good idea.

Of course, the oddest part of the whole MT/MTJ/TD maps is that while the allegiances were changing all over the place, they (DGP and GDW) never bothered to actually change any of the UWPs. So, even with the influx of unnumbered Aslan, no populations ever increased (even on the lo-pop worlds), no governments changed, no law levels changed. IIRC, even the bases didn't change!

It wasn't until the RSB that any of the UWPs were changed to reflect the new situation.
There's an easy explanation for that ;)
The UPP's are only updated every time the IISS conducts a comprehensive survey, which, according to The Imperial Fringe Introductory Adventure, occurs every twenty years. That adventure was dated as 1100, so the next one isn't due to start until 1120 and takes about 4 years to complete.
(This could even help explain Regina's sudden TL change, the PC's typo ;) )

My explanation is that the map in the MT boxed set shows the extent of Aslan penetration, not their actual conquests (though they did end up with some of the lo-pop worlds). MTJ showed their stable expanded borders, and RSB showed the reestablished traditional borders instituted by the Regency.

(Same thing for the Vargr to coreward. The MT map shows the extent of their reach, not actual conquests.)
Good idea.

Of course, the oddest part of the whole MT/MTJ/TD maps is that while the allegiances were changing all over the place, they (DGP and GDW) never bothered to actually change any of the UWPs. So, even with the influx of unnumbered Aslan, no populations ever increased (even on the lo-pop worlds), no governments changed, no law levels changed. IIRC, even the bases didn't change!

It wasn't until the RSB that any of the UWPs were changed to reflect the new situation.
The UPP's are only updated every time the IISS conducts a comprehensive survey, which, according to The Imperial Fringe Introductory Adventure, occurs every twenty years. That adventure was dated as 1100, so the next one isn't due to start until 1120 and takes about 4 years to complete.

Good idea.

Originally posted by TheEngineer:
I never regarded that as a problem.
Just think of a remote spaceport/trading post at the jump limit. Oversea ships dont anker at the local Safeway supermarket, too
Small problem with that - the jump limit is a sphere around the massive object. Where do you put the "Farport"? Ships coming from the other side of the object are going to have even further to travel to reach it.

He, he. Constantine really does not like economics (in Traveller) :D
No, I don't. It's bad enough having to worry about that sort of thing in real life, I can't imagine how anyone would possibly want to do it in a roleplaying game too ;) .

Just think of a remote spaceport/trading post at the jump limit. Oversea ships dont anker at the local Safeway supermarket, too
Small problem with that - the jump limit is a sphere around the massive object. Where do you put the "Farport"? Ships coming from the other side of the object are going to have even further to travel to reach it.

No, I don't. It's bad enough having to worry about that sort of thing in real life, I can't imagine how anyone would possibly want to do it in a roleplaying game too ;) .

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Yeah, well I could buy that except for a coupla things.

First, MT was supposed to be a new beginning. If they were going to make the unprecidented change to the allegiances, they could have at least tried to make the UWPs match it. The UWPs for MT were never portrayed as the survey data, but were the "current state" data for MT.

Second, Regina is a bad example. If the MT data was still the survey data, then it should still have a TL of A. The fact that it had a TL of C means that they were (obstensibly) trying to update the data to "current state". But they didn't.

I freely admit this is not a big deal. I was just pointing it out as another one of those "oops" things. Quite frankly, I am very happy that they didn't update the UWPs. The way they did it allows me to get a good set of 1112 data that I am compiling.

First, MT was supposed to be a new beginning. If they were going to make the unprecidented change to the allegiances, they could have at least tried to make the UWPs match it. The UWPs for MT were never portrayed as the survey data, but were the "current state" data for MT.

Second, Regina is a bad example. If the MT data was still the survey data, then it should still have a TL of A. The fact that it had a TL of C means that they were (obstensibly) trying to update the data to "current state". But they didn't.

I freely admit this is not a big deal. I was just pointing it out as another one of those "oops" things. Quite frankly, I am very happy that they didn't update the UWPs. The way they did it allows me to get a good set of 1112 data that I am compiling.

Much ado has been made of the Aslan invasions. I had always thought the Aslan invasions more akin to the Japanese buyouts on the Pacific Coast of North & South America. This used to cause great panic during the 1980s and early 1990s (until the Japanese economy went belly-up).

The Vargr are akin to invasion of the undesirables during the disorder that comes from any social system in the form of collapse.

Therefore, it was not so much an invasion but a percieved invasion. The Aslan were naturally better organized as they formed a solid bloc with a traditional (although, unofficial backing of the Aslan government) right to claim land moved into the Rich worlds of Deneb. However, one should not assume by buying land that they would automatically be co-opted into any system. The Aslan have their own way of doing things and would likely remain as an isolated autarkic island waiting to link up with other Aslan dispora.

As to the issue of Stephon's assassination, I think everyone is forgetting who was the Emperor's Guard...it was the Illesh Guard. As to all the high tech gadgets that protect the Emperor...surely, the home guard could disable them also when admitting an Archduke and loyal friend...I think it would not be kosher to insist on full security.

Much ado has been made of the Aslan invasions. I had always thought the Aslan invasions more akin to the Japanese buyouts on the Pacific Coast of North & South America. This used to cause great panic during the 1980s and early 1990s (until the Japanese economy went belly-up).

The Vargr are akin to invasion of the undesirables during the disorder that comes from any social system in the form of collapse.

Therefore, it was not so much an invasion but a percieved invasion. The Aslan were naturally better organized as they formed a solid bloc with a traditional (although, unofficial backing of the Aslan government) right to claim land moved into the Rich worlds of Deneb. However, one should not assume by buying land that they would automatically be co-opted into any system. The Aslan have their own way of doing things and would likely remain as an isolated autarkic island waiting to link up with other Aslan dispora.

As to the issue of Stephon's assassination, I think everyone is forgetting who was the Emperor's Guard...it was the Illesh Guard. As to all the high tech gadgets that protect the Emperor...surely, the home guard could disable them also when admitting an Archduke and loyal friend...I think it would not be kosher to insist on full security.

Originally posted by Malenfant:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
You wouldn't, by any chance, happen to have that written out in a referenceable table, would you?
I would indeed. I posted it to a thread on the IISS board. </font>[/QUOTE]And the name of the thread is (or a link to it)?

You wouldn't, by any chance, happen to have that written out in a referenceable table, would you?
I would indeed. I posted it to a thread on the IISS board. </font>[/QUOTE]And the name of the thread is (or a link to it)?

Back