• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Classic Traveller: An Adult Game/Attitude

daryen wrote:

"I probably shouldn't say this, but there is just no way I can possibly resist: Flash Gordon went to Mongo. Not Buck Rodgers. Other than that, your example is perfect. ;) "

Mr. Daryen,

Well, at least I got the example part right! My apologies to all the Gordon and Rodgers fans out there.

Okay, next question; Buck had Dale, so who was Flash's main squeeze?

Sincerely,
Larsen

daryen wrote:

"I probably shouldn't say this, but there is just no way I can possibly resist: Flash Gordon went to Mongo. Not Buck Rodgers. Other than that, your example is perfect. ;) "

Mr. Daryen,

Well, at least I got the example part right! My apologies to all the Gordon and Rodgers fans out there.

Sincerely,
Larsen

Originally posted by Larsen E. Whipsnade:

Flash had Dale Arden, Buck had Wilma Deering. Granted Buster Crabbe played both of them in the serials which likely doesn't help.

Casey

Flash had Dale Arden, Buck had Wilma Deering. Granted Buster Crabbe played both of them in the serials which likely doesn't help.

Casey

Morte wrote:

"It seems to me that you're not objecting to T20 having Feats, an on/off mechanic that works alongside the variable Abilties and Skills (different tools for a different jobs). Rather, it seems that you object to what it used them for -- you think they're too hi-falutin' and melodramatic."

Mr. Morte,

Exactly! If only I could have explained it so succinctly then a lot of bandwidth would have been conserved.

"If I read you right, then your objection finally makes sense to me."

After reading your response, I'd say you are reading me correctly.

"So, assuming we're on the same wavelength... I can see why you got that impression, but I don't think it's actually quite as bad as you paint it."

Okay. Let's examine your examples...

"Uh, that one (the minions and followers feat - LEW) is entirely left out of the feat list Player's Handbook and put in the Dungeon Master's Guide as an option."

That feat is precisely the one discussed here at CotI. The original poster wanted to know how to apply it to the Traveller setting. When he was told it had no place in the Traveller setting; even Mr. Hunter Gordon agreed, the poster still wanted ideas about how to fit it into the Traveller setting.

Option or no, in the Player's Handbook or the DM's Guide, people will use it because it is part of the d20 rules set. The GM who decides to 'house rule' it out of effect will be forced to explain that to the PCs who want to use it. Even with the release of T20, the d20 system still requires the GM tweaks before her group can play Traveller in its original style.

"You'd have to rebalance it (various d20 feats - LEW) for T20 though. In D&D it's balanced against other feats because you get lower level followers and they take XP. Level is hugely important in D&D but it counts for less in T20."

But levels and feats are still there, imperfectly recast in different roles despite a valiant effort by the T20 authors and still carrying loads of play style baggage from d20. d20 is a superb set of rules, but d20 was never meant to be a generic set of rules. Rather than having a play style neutral system; as GURPS purports to be, that is then tweaked to handle various settings and styles, d20 is a specific play style system that is tweaked in an attempt to handle different play styles.

It's a clunky analogy, but I'll use foodstuffs to try and illustrate my point. A generic RPG system is tofu; it designed to have no specific 'taste'. The GM than 'flavors' it to create the 'taste' she requires; tweaking the generic system to produce a cinematic Flash Gordon on Mongo RPG session or a nitty-gritty cyberpunk setting. GURPS and FUDGE were designed from the ground up to be 'tofu'. (whether they succeeded or not is beyond the scope of this thread.)

Unlike FUDGE or GURPS, d20 was never designed to be tofu. It has a very distinct 'flavor' all its own. When a GM uses d20 to create another 'flavor', she must first remove the original d20 flavor and then impart the flavor she is trying to achieve. The two stage process that the faux-generic d20 requires; removing and adding instead of merely adding, is far more clunky and far less certain than the simple additive process that an actual generic system uses.

When using the faux-generic d20 and its offspring; T20, M20, etc., various bits and pieces remain despite the GM's flavoring attempts. It may be a Traveller setting, but 'minions and followers' can still be tasted! That is what I'm striving to explain, despite the best of intentions and the best of efforts, IMEHO there is still far too much of d20's flavor in the T20 style of play. I don't think that d20 can be changed at so deep a level, it is what it is. If this isn't true than questions about XP harvests or minions & followers would not have appeared on these fora.

Sincerely,
Larsen

Morte wrote:

"It seems to me that you're not objecting to T20 having Feats, an on/off mechanic that works alongside the variable Abilties and Skills (different tools for a different jobs). Rather, it seems that you object to what it used them for -- you think they're too hi-falutin' and melodramatic."

Mr. Morte,

Exactly! If only I could have explained it so succinctly then a lot of bandwidth would have been conserved.

"If I read you right, then your objection finally makes sense to me."

After reading your response, I'd say you are reading me correctly.

"So, assuming we're on the same wavelength... I can see why you got that impression, but I don't think it's actually quite as bad as you paint it."

Okay. Let's examine your examples...

"Uh, that one (the minions and followers feat - LEW) is entirely left out of the feat list Player's Handbook and put in the Dungeon Master's Guide as an option."

That feat is precisely the one discussed here at CotI. The original poster wanted to know how to apply it to the Traveller setting. When he was told it had no place in the Traveller setting; even Mr. Hunter Gordon agreed, the poster still wanted ideas about how to fit it into the Traveller setting.

Option or no, in the Player's Handbook or the DM's Guide, people will use it because it is part of the d20 rules set. The GM who decides to 'house rule' it out of effect will be forced to explain that to the PCs who want to use it. Even with the release of T20, the d20 system still requires the GM tweaks before her group can play Traveller in its original style.

"You'd have to rebalance it (various d20 feats - LEW) for T20 though. In D&D it's balanced against other feats because you get lower level followers and they take XP. Level is hugely important in D&D but it counts for less in T20."

But levels and feats are still there, imperfectly recast in different roles despite a valiant effort by the T20 authors and still carrying loads of play style baggage from d20. d20 is a superb set of rules, but d20 was never meant to be a generic set of rules. Rather than having a play style neutral system; as GURPS purports to be, that is then tweaked to handle various settings and styles, d20 is a specific play style system that is tweaked in an attempt to handle different play styles.

It's a clunky analogy, but I'll use foodstuffs to try and illustrate my point. A generic RPG system is tofu; it designed to have no specific 'taste'. The GM than 'flavors' it to create the 'taste' she requires; tweaking the generic system to produce a cinematic Flash Gordon on Mongo RPG session or a nitty-gritty cyberpunk setting. GURPS and FUDGE were designed from the ground up to be 'tofu'. (whether they succeeded or not is beyond the scope of this thread.)

Unlike FUDGE or GURPS, d20 was never designed to be tofu. It has a very distinct 'flavor' all its own. When a GM uses d20 to create another 'flavor', she must first remove the original d20 flavor and then impart the flavor she is trying to achieve. The two stage process that the faux-generic d20 requires; removing and adding instead of merely adding, is far more clunky and far less certain than the simple additive process that an actual generic system uses.

When using the faux-generic d20 and its offspring; T20, M20, etc., various bits and pieces remain despite the GM's flavoring attempts. It may be a Traveller setting, but 'minions and followers' can still be tasted! That is what I'm striving to explain, despite the best of intentions and the best of efforts, IMEHO there is still far too much of d20's flavor in the T20 style of play. I don't think that d20 can be changed at so deep a level, it is what it is. If this isn't true than questions about XP harvests or minions & followers would not have appeared on these fora.

Sincerely,
Larsen

And there are plenty of cinematic rules in say Fudge, Gurps, or BESM that a GM will have to tweak or disallow. And guess what? There are several non-level / point-based and lethal options out for d20 now that you can use as well in a T20 game. People might actually want to bring those into the mix as well. (self included)
d20 is a superb set of rules, but d20 was never meant to be a generic set of rules.
Yeah and Hero's only meant to play Super heros. :rolleyes:
GURPS and FUDGE were designed from the ground up to be 'tofu'. (whether they succeeded or not is beyond the scope of this thread.)
But whether or not T20 did is? Hmmm. :(
Okay Larsen, when did you sit in on WotC board and R&D meetings? ;) And fudge usually requires rewritting the whole rpg to fit a new setting. :D And you've said before that GURPS has a distinct "flavor".
, IMEHO there is still far too much of d20's flavor in the T20 style of play. I don't think that d20 can be changed at so deep a level, it is what it is. If this isn't true than questions about XP harvests or minions & followers would not have appeared on these fora.
And like no one ever tries to mix genres, styles, or rules in a GT game? Personally if I ran a GT game I'd throw in rules and bits from Illuminati, Cthulhupunk, Celtic Myth, Atomic Horror, Martial Arts (Spacer Fu!) and likely Time Travel among others.

Seriously Larsen the main thing I've gotten from this thread is I'd like to play a game with most of you sophonts no matter the system or game used. :cool: The game system navel gazing stuff though I could do without.

Casey

And there are plenty of cinematic rules in say Fudge, Gurps, or BESM that a GM will have to tweak or disallow. And guess what? There are several non-level / point-based and lethal options out for d20 now that you can use as well in a T20 game. People might actually want to bring those into the mix as well. (self included)
d20 is a superb set of rules, but d20 was never meant to be a generic set of rules.
Yeah and Hero's only meant to play Super heros. :rolleyes:
GURPS and FUDGE were designed from the ground up to be 'tofu'. (whether they succeeded or not is beyond the scope of this thread.)
But whether or not T20 did is? Hmmm. :(
Okay Larsen, when did you sit in on WotC board and R&D meetings? ;) And fudge usually requires rewritting the whole rpg to fit a new setting. :D And you've said before that GURPS has a distinct "flavor".
, IMEHO there is still far too much of d20's flavor in the T20 style of play. I don't think that d20 can be changed at so deep a level, it is what it is. If this isn't true than questions about XP harvests or minions & followers would not have appeared on these fora.
And like no one ever tries to mix genres, styles, or rules in a GT game? Personally if I ran a GT game I'd throw in rules and bits from Illuminati, Cthulhupunk, Celtic Myth, Atomic Horror, Martial Arts (Spacer Fu!) and likely Time Travel among others.

Seriously Larsen the main thing I've gotten from this thread is I'd like to play a game with most of you sophonts no matter the system or game used. :cool: The game system navel gazing stuff though I could do without.

Casey

As for my Cr0.02 worth, please consider certain "crossover" adventures (or even the threat of one)...

Jump Drive Error: Your jump drive experiences an imbalance half way between 'Here' and 'There'. A vortex|wormhole|warp|whatever opens up. Roll 1D:

1) A non-magical fantasy creature comes through. It appears harmless...

2) A small box comes through. It contains a withered hand and a dessicated eye. Telepathic characters in the vicinity become filled with dread of an impending doom. Nobody wants to sleep for fear of the horrific nightmares...

3) A PC is sucked into the vortex. His or her anguished cries for help can still be heard. The PC's must rescue their shipmate before the ship precipitates from jump within 6D hours. There are many TL12 weapons available, as well as 50' of rope, 12 torches, and a tinderbox...

4) The entire ship is drawn into an alternate universe, in the middle of a gobal war between opposing factions of a magocracy. Energy weapons no longer operate, and once the supply of SMG ammo is gone, that's it. The PC's must survive long enough to re-power their ship, and attempt to re-create the same accident that brought them here...

5) The PC's are slowly morphing into the form of a randomly-chosen fantasy creature. When they reach their destination, none of the PC's match their ID's in any way, shape, or form...

6) The ship drops into a pocket universe, wherein the PC's must battle their fantasy counterparts for control of the ship - which just happens to be the only way out...

More to come...

As for my Cr0.02 worth, please consider certain "crossover" adventures (or even the threat of one)...

Jump Drive Error: Your jump drive experiences an imbalance half way between 'Here' and 'There'. A vortex|wormhole|warp|whatever opens up. Roll 1D:

1) A non-magical fantasy creature comes through. It appears harmless...

2) A small box comes through. It contains a withered hand and a dessicated eye. Telepathic characters in the vicinity become filled with dread of an impending doom. Nobody wants to sleep for fear of the horrific nightmares...

3) A PC is sucked into the vortex. His or her anguished cries for help can still be heard. The PC's must rescue their shipmate before the ship precipitates from jump within 6D hours. There are many TL12 weapons available, as well as 50' of rope, 12 torches, and a tinderbox...

4) The entire ship is drawn into an alternate universe, in the middle of a gobal war between opposing factions of a magocracy. Energy weapons no longer operate, and once the supply of SMG ammo is gone, that's it. The PC's must survive long enough to re-power their ship, and attempt to re-create the same accident that brought them here...

5) The PC's are slowly morphing into the form of a randomly-chosen fantasy creature. When they reach their destination, none of the PC's match their ID's in any way, shape, or form...

6) The ship drops into a pocket universe, wherein the PC's must battle their fantasy counterparts for control of the ship - which just happens to be the only way out...

More to come...

At the risk of starting a flame war, which is not my objective, I will point out that this is probably the biggest reason some people have such negative feelings for D20/T20. No matter how many times the claim "D20 isn't D&D" is put forth, there are always lots of people trying to put D&D into every form of D20.

When people mix genres in GURPS, for example, it can be anything. BioTech + Robots + Traveller. Or whatever. With D20, it always seems to be "how do I add D&D to this?"

At the risk of starting a flame war, which is not my objective, I will point out that this is probably the biggest reason some people have such negative feelings for D20/T20. No matter how many times the claim "D20 isn't D&D" is put forth, there are always lots of people trying to put D&D into every form of D20.

When people mix genres in GURPS, for example, it can be anything. BioTech + Robots + Traveller. Or whatever. With D20, it always seems to be "how do I add D&D to this?"

Originally posted by daryen:
I think that's because d20 is still so new, and many people haven't seen/tried the various d20 rules that have great psionics, time travel, etc.

Personally I LOVE the Sleeping Imperium rules which have great martial arts and psionics for d20. I'm playing in one T20 PBEM that partly uses the psionics rules - and I must say it kicks butt compared to normal T20 psionics. Other people will be bringing in d20 rules from other genres/backgrounds as they get the chance to see them/play them.

Originally posted by daryen:
I think that's because d20 is still so new, and many people haven't seen/tried the various d20 rules that have great psionics, time travel, etc.

Personally I LOVE the Sleeping Imperium rules which have great martial arts and psionics for d20. I'm playing in one T20 PBEM that partly uses the psionics rules - and I must say it kicks butt compared to normal T20 psionics. Other people will be bringing in d20 rules from other genres/backgrounds as they get the chance to see them/play them.

Originally posted by Falkayn:
What is the heresay I see appearing in the CT Forum? I believe there should be an Imperial edict somewhere that would cover the use of excessive force in dealing with any and all Traveller version heresies once and for all!!
file_22.gif

Originally posted by Falkayn:
What is the heresay I see appearing in the CT Forum? I believe there should be an Imperial edict somewhere that would cover the use of excessive force in dealing with any and all Traveller version heresies once and for all!!
file_22.gif

"No matter how many times the claim 'D20 isn't D&D' is put forth, there are always lots of people trying to put D&D into every form of D20." - Daryen.
I tried to point this out, and apparently failed, so I'll try again: the mere threat of a fantasy incursion into Traveller may cause some players to break into a sweat. The worst that I've ever actually done is...

"You have opened the blast doors to the pre-historic (Ancient?) laboratory. Inside is a lot of strange equipment that seems to still be powered. In the center of the lab is a glass or crystaline object, rectangular and covered with frost..."

"... the creature inside seems to be humanoid, dressed in flowing robes, and holding an intricately-carved staff with a glowing jewel embedded in the tip..."

Three SMG's were emptied into that crypt/low berth while the rest of the party bravely ran away.

"No matter how many times the claim 'D20 isn't D&D' is put forth, there are always lots of people trying to put D&D into every form of D20." - Daryen.
I tried to point this out, and apparently failed, so I'll try again: the mere threat of a fantasy incursion into Traveller may cause some players to break into a sweat. The worst that I've ever actually done is...

"You have opened the blast doors to the pre-historic (Ancient?) laboratory. Inside is a lot of strange equipment that seems to still be powered. In the center of the lab is a glass or crystaline object, rectangular and covered with frost..."

"... the creature inside seems to be humanoid, dressed in flowing robes, and holding an intricately-carved staff with a glowing jewel embedded in the tip..."

Three SMG's were emptied into that crypt/low berth while the rest of the party bravely ran away.

Falkayn wrote:

"I think that's because d20 is still so new, and many people haven't seen/tried the various d20 rules that have great psionics, time travel, etc."

Mr. Falkayn,

d20 still has levels, no matter how they may be tweaked for each genre. d20 still has XPs, which drives a desire for adventures that are little more than XP harvests. d20 still has feats, those binary, yes-no, 'only the elect can do this', PC munchkin treats. d20 still carries the genetic make-up of its ancestor; D&D, and a definite predeliction towards capital 'aitch' Heroic roleplaying.

None of those attributes are bad, but none of them are Traveller either.

In the hands of a good GM or an experienced GM, none of d20's evolutionary left-overs would matter, the GM could simply homebrew her way around them. But why employ so much homebrewing in the first place? Why not play Traveller with a RPG system that fits it? The excuse I've most heard for this is that 'my players are familiar with d20'. In other words - laziness.

I'm a wargamer, have been one for longer than a roleplayer, and I'd never expect each and every wargame to use the SAME rule set. That's idiocy. Different settings, different scales, different genres all require different modes of play. Why should roleplaying be any different?

d20 was never meant to be a generic RPG system. I don't need to have been privy to the inner councils of WOTC or Hasbro to make that assertion, d20's own marketing copy makes my case. We can ret-con d20 from hell to breakfast and not change this; d20 was not designed to be generic. Period.

I am NOT slamming d20 here. It is a fine RPG rules set... but it is not every RPG rules set.

Sincerely,
Larsen

Falkayn wrote:

"I think that's because d20 is still so new, and many people haven't seen/tried the various d20 rules that have great psionics, time travel, etc."

Mr. Falkayn,

d20 still has levels, no matter how they may be tweaked for each genre. d20 still has XPs, which drives a desire for adventures that are little more than XP harvests. d20 still has feats, those binary, yes-no, 'only the elect can do this', PC munchkin treats. d20 still carries the genetic make-up of its ancestor; D&D, and a definite predeliction towards capital 'aitch' Heroic roleplaying.

None of those attributes are bad, but none of them are Traveller either.

In the hands of a good GM or an experienced GM, none of d20's evolutionary left-overs would matter, the GM could simply homebrew her way around them. But why employ so much homebrewing in the first place? Why not play Traveller with a RPG system that fits it? The excuse I've most heard for this is that 'my players are familiar with d20'. In other words - laziness.

I'm a wargamer, have been one for longer than a roleplayer, and I'd never expect each and every wargame to use the SAME rule set. That's idiocy. Different settings, different scales, different genres all require different modes of play. Why should roleplaying be any different?

d20 was never meant to be a generic RPG system. I don't need to have been privy to the inner councils of WOTC or Hasbro to make that assertion, d20's own marketing copy makes my case. We can ret-con d20 from hell to breakfast and not change this; d20 was not designed to be generic. Period.

I am NOT slamming d20 here. It is a fine RPG rules set... but it is not every RPG rules set.

Sincerely,
Larsen

Back