• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Classic Traveller: An Adult Game/Attitude

Originally posted by Lord Iron Wolf:

The one thing I believe is missing is some form or reward system from Traveller. Most of the time the characters see no advancement in their situation from adventuring. It would be nice to see some form of influence, money or something tangible from adventuring. It's not built in the system and I believe that has always been a weak point for long term play.

As a side note, I'm having my local game shop look at their customer base. I'm having them look at the age of the customers and seeing what the older ones are buying. I'm curious what the returning gamers (35+) are purchasing. It should be interesting to see what comes out--if they are simply buying what they played years ago or if they are buying new games.

Lord Iron Wolf
Ok, I will assert that an experience system built off an AT Adventure Tally system like MT. It is not tied to exp. points connected to killing monsters but the use of skills and that is a good thing.

The only thing about MT is the Determination rolls which are unneeded. Ask any player three times during a game about what they are trying to improve or focusing on learning and many will change their minds enough that a Determ roll is unneeded.

If I was going CT I have modded Andy Slack's experience system like this:

The referee awards each player character 1-3 game points at the end of each gaming session according to the players use of the skill the player is trying to improve.
It costs 8 points to learn a new skill at expertise level one or to improve an existing skill by one expertise level you need 8 + (the skill level you are trying to attain).

If you want to go up to level 3 in your Pilot skill you need 8 + 3 = 11 game points for example.

For attributes you need 16 + (the attribute value you are trying to attain) game points to improve one point. To improve from A to B in strength you need 16 + 11 = 27 game points.

A character may also gain one character point by attending a full-time training session for six weeks. Costs and availability are to be determined by the referee.

I am very interested in what older players typically buy. Since I am an older player now.

I am buying the CT reprints right now and want to get some MT used stuff but the ebay prices can get nuts. There is an Assignment Vigilante folio at $40 bucks right now.

Let us all know the trends when you find them.

Originally posted by Lord Iron Wolf:

The one thing I believe is missing is some form or reward system from Traveller. Most of the time the characters see no advancement in their situation from adventuring. It would be nice to see some form of influence, money or something tangible from adventuring. It's not built in the system and I believe that has always been a weak point for long term play.

As a side note, I'm having my local game shop look at their customer base. I'm having them look at the age of the customers and seeing what the older ones are buying. I'm curious what the returning gamers (35+) are purchasing. It should be interesting to see what comes out--if they are simply buying what they played years ago or if they are buying new games.

Lord Iron Wolf
Ok, I will assert that an experience system built off an AT Adventure Tally system like MT. It is not tied to exp. points connected to killing monsters but the use of skills and that is a good thing.

The only thing about MT is the Determination rolls which are unneeded. Ask any player three times during a game about what they are trying to improve or focusing on learning and many will change their minds enough that a Determ roll is unneeded.

If I was going CT I have modded Andy Slack's experience system like this:

The referee awards each player character 1-3 game points at the end of each gaming session according to the players use of the skill the player is trying to improve.
It costs 8 points to learn a new skill at expertise level one or to improve an existing skill by one expertise level you need 8 + (the skill level you are trying to attain).

If you want to go up to level 3 in your Pilot skill you need 8 + 3 = 11 game points for example.

For attributes you need 16 + (the attribute value you are trying to attain) game points to improve one point. To improve from A to B in strength you need 16 + 11 = 27 game points.

A character may also gain one character point by attending a full-time training session for six weeks. Costs and availability are to be determined by the referee.

I am very interested in what older players typically buy. Since I am an older player now.

I am buying the CT reprints right now and want to get some MT used stuff but the ebay prices can get nuts. There is an Assignment Vigilante folio at $40 bucks right now.

Let us all know the trends when you find them.

Hello A.C.K.

I don't know what the acronym stands for but I'd be curious.

I have more than just a passing interest in the data. Currently I'm writing a game that is based on Planetary Romance or Sword & Planet adventures. The most well known of these are the Martian Tales of Edgar Rice Burroughs: John Carter, Dejah Thoris, Barsoom and all the rest. My target audience is the people who are returning to gaming after taking time out for "minor" things like raising families, pursueing careers and just simply being too busy to put the necessary time into gaming.

If no one is trying anything new--I'm screwed. If otherwise, I've got a chance and the new editions of Traveller have got an audience.

With classic traveller the base system is both powerful, simple and elegant; and I know I must reach this same power, simplicity and elegance for the base system. It's a high goal but if I can't do it, why use anything but the CT system for personal games.

Lord Iron Wolf

Hello A.C.K.

I don't know what the acronym stands for but I'd be curious.

I have more than just a passing interest in the data. Currently I'm writing a game that is based on Planetary Romance or Sword & Planet adventures. The most well known of these are the Martian Tales of Edgar Rice Burroughs: John Carter, Dejah Thoris, Barsoom and all the rest. My target audience is the people who are returning to gaming after taking time out for "minor" things like raising families, pursueing careers and just simply being too busy to put the necessary time into gaming.

If no one is trying anything new--I'm screwed. If otherwise, I've got a chance and the new editions of Traveller have got an audience.

With classic traveller the base system is both powerful, simple and elegant; and I know I must reach this same power, simplicity and elegance for the base system. It's a high goal but if I can't do it, why use anything but the CT system for personal games.

Lord Iron Wolf

Gentle Whipsnade I don’t see the hard connection between 3E D&D and T20 except for the leveling system (which appears like the prior service I remember) and how you roll for abilities. Most everything else seems to a conversion of CT to the rule base D20. What is the difference if my 54 year Marine Col in CT T20 except for I know in T20 I get extra attacks per round. And if I do level I get more skill pts. No where in T20 does it say the feats in PHB apply in T20. Granted I will level up in adventures now. I never did in CT.
Keklas
Jump drive error into Greyhawk some of my players have been in games which have done that. Back in 1980’s.

Also what is the difference except for verbiage if I had Vac Suit II compare to amour proficiency vac suit? Please remember I just game a few Classic Traveller games and never owned the books.

Also ACk mention increasing skills at the end of adventure by the ref giving 1-3 game points which applied to skills the person used that night. How is this different from xp? Except now I am at the ref mercy a little bit more?

Gentle Whipsnade I don’t see the hard connection between 3E D&D and T20 except for the leveling system (which appears like the prior service I remember) and how you roll for abilities. Most everything else seems to a conversion of CT to the rule base D20. What is the difference if my 54 year Marine Col in CT T20 except for I know in T20 I get extra attacks per round. And if I do level I get more skill pts. No where in T20 does it say the feats in PHB apply in T20. Granted I will level up in adventures now. I never did in CT.
Keklas
Jump drive error into Greyhawk some of my players have been in games which have done that. Back in 1980’s.

Also what is the difference except for verbiage if I had Vac Suit II compare to amour proficiency vac suit? Please remember I just game a few Classic Traveller games and never owned the books.

Also ACk mention increasing skills at the end of adventure by the ref giving 1-3 game points which applied to skills the person used that night. How is this different from xp? Except now I am at the ref mercy a little bit more?

Originally posted by Commander Drax:
There's no such thing as a perfect system, and odly enough I generated a professional class character only yesterday, and was dissapointed to learn that he could have weapon proficiency in swords and daggers etc but not guns, which seemed odd, after all what's to stop him going to a shooting range in his time off and practising! By allowing multiclassing I could just about get around it!
Nothing. ;)
And multiclassing is not only allowed but IMO encouraged as long as it makes sense for the character. In this case it isn't needed though.

Just take WP (whatever gun type desired) with a level feat. Restrictions on Bonus Feats for a particular class are restrictions for just that. p. 35 notes for the Experience Table "The character may select one additional feat from any he is qualified for. This does not include feats specific to a character's class." Qualified here refers to any prerequisites for a given feat.

The assumption of
(1) the bonus feat selections as applying to all feat choices
(2) in all cases serving a term in a prior history "class" means at least one or all corresponding level(s) must be taken in the level class of the same name
(3) and confusion with how the drive / pilot skills are used with the corresponding "certification" feat for type of vehicle/ship.

are the three most common misconceptions for T20 chargen I've come across.

I admit it took me reading some excellent threads and letting go of rigid d20 concepts to understand the last two concepts fully. T20 really is more flexible that it might look at first glance. (tho there's room for more
file_23.gif
)

Casey

Originally posted by Commander Drax:
There's no such thing as a perfect system, and odly enough I generated a professional class character only yesterday, and was dissapointed to learn that he could have weapon proficiency in swords and daggers etc but not guns, which seemed odd, after all what's to stop him going to a shooting range in his time off and practising! By allowing multiclassing I could just about get around it!
Nothing. ;)
And multiclassing is not only allowed but IMO encouraged as long as it makes sense for the character. In this case it isn't needed though.

Just take WP (whatever gun type desired) with a level feat. Restrictions on Bonus Feats for a particular class are restrictions for just that. p. 35 notes for the Experience Table "The character may select one additional feat from any he is qualified for. This does not include feats specific to a character's class." Qualified here refers to any prerequisites for a given feat.

The assumption of
(1) the bonus feat selections as applying to all feat choices
(2) in all cases serving a term in a prior history "class" means at least one or all corresponding level(s) must be taken in the level class of the same name
(3) and confusion with how the drive / pilot skills are used with the corresponding "certification" feat for type of vehicle/ship.

are the three most common misconceptions for T20 chargen I've come across.

I admit it took me reading some excellent threads and letting go of rigid d20 concepts to understand the last two concepts fully. T20 really is more flexible that it might look at first glance. (tho there's room for more
file_23.gif
)

Casey

Originally posted by Larsen E. Whipsnade:
Falkayn wrote:

"I think that's because d20 is still so new, and many people haven't seen/tried the various d20 rules that have great psionics, time travel, etc."

Mr. Falkayn,

d20 still has XPs, which drives a desire for adventures that are little more than XP harvests.

Sincerely,
Larsen
Have you read T20?
Obviously not the chapter on XP.

The XP awards in T20 are NOT based upon oponents defeated. They are based upon adventure completion and encounter success vs difficulty.

Hence, if combat was the wrong way to beat Ecounter X, it REDUCES the XP award for said encounter.

BTW, TNE, T4, and T2300 all used "Experience points" as well, derived again from non-defeat based sources.

Yes, T20 is level based in character development. In play, it's 90+% skill based, and about 5% feats, and 5% other stats... I don't recall any level specific stuff that directly comes to play. Unlike D&D or Soverign Stone d20. Or, for that matter, Fading Suns D20.

Yes, it produces a slightly higher willingness to resort to force than did CT or MT...

Because: Youth will tend to KO before being killed. 20-somethngs can do either. Grizzled vets tend to die before giving up. Armor makes this effect MORE pronounced for the youth... and death before KO more likely for the veterans.

This is counter to the Traveller mindset in that Survivability was directly linked in rules-canonical editions of traveller (IE, CT, MT, TNE, T4) to physical attributes, which tend to decline wiht age in those same systems.

I ran a most-of-a year campaign covering 2+ character years, for 6-8 PC's, with LONG (8-10 hour) sessions, and in play, level mattered little, except for the effects upon stamina, which by 5th level, most types with decent BAB could suck enough small arms fire to be bleeding out before being stopped (The one-shot kill vs one shot stop).

The few level dependant items (BAB, Saves) are transparent in play. Due to certain feats, those are not even fixed to the class's settings. BAB type can be bought up. Many people house rule that a save category can be bought up...

Falkayn wrote:

"I think that's because d20 is still so new, and many people haven't seen/tried the various d20 rules that have great psionics, time travel, etc."

Mr. Falkayn,

d20 still has XPs, which drives a desire for adventures that are little more than XP harvests.

Sincerely,
Larsen
Have you read T20?
Obviously not the chapter on XP.

The XP awards in T20 are NOT based upon oponents defeated. They are based upon adventure completion and encounter success vs difficulty.

Hence, if combat was the wrong way to beat Ecounter X, it REDUCES the XP award for said encounter.

BTW, TNE, T4, and T2300 all used "Experience points" as well, derived again from non-defeat based sources.

Yes, T20 is level based in character development. In play, it's 90+% skill based, and about 5% feats, and 5% other stats... I don't recall any level specific stuff that directly comes to play. Unlike D&D or Soverign Stone d20. Or, for that matter, Fading Suns D20.

Yes, it produces a slightly higher willingness to resort to force than did CT or MT...

Because: Youth will tend to KO before being killed. 20-somethngs can do either. Grizzled vets tend to die before giving up. Armor makes this effect MORE pronounced for the youth... and death before KO more likely for the veterans.

This is counter to the Traveller mindset in that Survivability was directly linked in rules-canonical editions of traveller (IE, CT, MT, TNE, T4) to physical attributes, which tend to decline wiht age in those same systems.

I ran a most-of-a year campaign covering 2+ character years, for 6-8 PC's, with LONG (8-10 hour) sessions, and in play, level mattered little, except for the effects upon stamina, which by 5th level, most types with decent BAB could suck enough small arms fire to be bleeding out before being stopped (The one-shot kill vs one shot stop).

The few level dependant items (BAB, Saves) are transparent in play. Due to certain feats, those are not even fixed to the class's settings. BAB type can be bought up. Many people house rule that a save category can be bought up...

Originally posted by hunter:
Incorrect. All one has to do is multiclass into a more combat oriented class.

Hunter
I think Larsen's point is that it shouldn't be necessary to do something as drastic as changing class to manage this.

That's the whole problem I have with any form of d20 (or other RPG) that encourages multiclassing - it defeats the whole point of having separate classes in the first place. If you can't have a balanced character by sticking to one class, and then why have classes at all? Forcing people to multiclass to do that just adds unecessary complexity to the system IMO.

Why not just ditch that and say "Ok, just pick the skills etc that you want" using a pointbuy system or something similar? It'll save the hassle of going the roundabout (and often highly confusing) route of calculating how many levels you have in what classes and how many hit point you can have etc etc.

Originally posted by hunter:
Incorrect. All one has to do is multiclass into a more combat oriented class.

Hunter
I think Larsen's point is that it shouldn't be necessary to do something as drastic as changing class to manage this.

That's the whole problem I have with any form of d20 (or other RPG) that encourages multiclassing - it defeats the whole point of having separate classes in the first place. If you can't have a balanced character by sticking to one class, and then why have classes at all? Forcing people to multiclass to do that just adds unecessary complexity to the system IMO.

Why not just ditch that and say "Ok, just pick the skills etc that you want" using a pointbuy system or something similar? It'll save the hassle of going the roundabout (and often highly confusing) route of calculating how many levels you have in what classes and how many hit point you can have etc etc.

Originally posted by Malenfant:
No, he specifically said it couldn't be done in T20 without breaking the rules. He was flat out wrong.

As another point to how he was wrong is the fact that the Martial Training feat will allow you to boost your BAB without having to multiclass. Granted it won't turn your Professional or Academic into a Marine, but it will give you a better combat ability than without it.

And I fail to see what is so 'drastic' about multiclassing. I spent a few years in the infantry (Army Class), got out and did work in the electronics industry (Professional Class). I am multiclassed.

What complexity? Rather than take another level in a class I am already a member of, I chose to take that level in a new class reflecting my new focus. How I gain new skills, feats, BAB, Save Throw and Stamina improvements doesn't change one bit. I just have a different range of choices to choose from.

Um because then it wouldn't really be very compatible with the familiar d20 system and I don't want to play GURPS? ;)

I also will point out your error about skills. You can learn and improve just about ANY skill regardless of what your current classes are. If the skill you wish to train in is not listed under your class skills, it will cost you a bit more to learn but it can still be done.

Hunter

Originally posted by Malenfant:
No, he specifically said it couldn't be done in T20 without breaking the rules. He was flat out wrong.

As another point to how he was wrong is the fact that the Martial Training feat will allow you to boost your BAB without having to multiclass. Granted it won't turn your Professional or Academic into a Marine, but it will give you a better combat ability than without it.

And I fail to see what is so 'drastic' about multiclassing. I spent a few years in the infantry (Army Class), got out and did work in the electronics industry (Professional Class). I am multiclassed.

What complexity? Rather than take another level in a class I am already a member of, I chose to take that level in a new class reflecting my new focus. How I gain new skills, feats, BAB, Save Throw and Stamina improvements doesn't change one bit. I just have a different range of choices to choose from.

Um because then it wouldn't really be very compatible with the familiar d20 system and I don't want to play GURPS? ;)

I also will point out your error about skills. You can learn and improve just about ANY skill regardless of what your current classes are. If the skill you wish to train in is not listed under your class skills, it will cost you a bit more to learn but it can still be done.

Hunter

hunter explained:

"He was flat out wrong."

Mr. Gordon,

I sure was! But I was flat out wrong on purpose! I wanted to spark the discussion you two are now having - almost three months later.

Do RPG mechanisms like classes and feats naturally drive towards a certain style of play? IMHO, they do - unless the GM takes great care. And most GMs do not and will not.

Discuss!

Sincerely,
Larsen

hunter explained:

"He was flat out wrong."

Mr. Gordon,

I sure was! But I was flat out wrong on purpose! I wanted to spark the discussion you two are now having - almost three months later.

Do RPG mechanisms like classes and feats naturally drive towards a certain style of play? IMHO, they do - unless the GM takes great care. And most GMs do not and will not.

Discuss!

Sincerely,
Larsen

There was nothing to discuss in that post other than the fact you were wrong honestly. Posting deliberate misinformation only weakens your position by making it appear that you are unfamiliar with the subject you wish to discuss. How can you honestly debate the merits or flaws of a game if you are unfamiliar with its rules?

No classes and feats do not. I have seen as many cases of rampant munchkinism and blatant science-fantasy done using CT and GT as any other rule system (including d20/T20).

It isn't the systems that do this, it is how those people prefer to play. And you know what? More power to them if they wish to do so. Who are you and I to tell them how to properly play their games? Are we supposed to become the Traveller Gestapo and stamp out any games that remotely begin to deviate from what you and I may perceive as being the only 'true' way to play the game?

I have no objection to anyone trying to persuade another that Traveller should have a certain style and feel to it, but I won't condone criticizing someone who wants to play Traveller they way they will enjoy it. Why? Because it hurts ALL the Traveller fans. If the person who wants to use some D&D feats in his T20 game, or wants to use some stuff from GURPS Fantasy in his GT game, well he or she is still buying Traveller stuff as well right? And this helps keeps the various companies putting out Traveller in business, which means we can keep putting out material that remains faithful to the OTU and the concepts it embodies.

If CT (or insert your favorite version of the rules) is the ultimate personification of the game, why is it some many other people disagree?

And BTW, if you think CT wasn't originally written to be able to run Star Wars style space opera and without the OTU in mind, you need to think again.

Hunter

There was nothing to discuss in that post other than the fact you were wrong honestly. Posting deliberate misinformation only weakens your position by making it appear that you are unfamiliar with the subject you wish to discuss. How can you honestly debate the merits or flaws of a game if you are unfamiliar with its rules?

No classes and feats do not. I have seen as many cases of rampant munchkinism and blatant science-fantasy done using CT and GT as any other rule system (including d20/T20).

It isn't the systems that do this, it is how those people prefer to play. And you know what? More power to them if they wish to do so. Who are you and I to tell them how to properly play their games? Are we supposed to become the Traveller Gestapo and stamp out any games that remotely begin to deviate from what you and I may perceive as being the only 'true' way to play the game?

I have no objection to anyone trying to persuade another that Traveller should have a certain style and feel to it, but I won't condone criticizing someone who wants to play Traveller they way they will enjoy it. Why? Because it hurts ALL the Traveller fans. If the person who wants to use some D&D feats in his T20 game, or wants to use some stuff from GURPS Fantasy in his GT game, well he or she is still buying Traveller stuff as well right? And this helps keeps the various companies putting out Traveller in business, which means we can keep putting out material that remains faithful to the OTU and the concepts it embodies.

If CT (or insert your favorite version of the rules) is the ultimate personification of the game, why is it some many other people disagree?

And BTW, if you think CT wasn't originally written to be able to run Star Wars style space opera and without the OTU in mind, you need to think again.

Hunter

Discuss!
Larsen, you old reprobate, trust you to ask the holy grail of RPG design questions.

My personal answer, based on a 20 year period of RPing in various rules systems and types of games, is that the mechanisms will certainly affect the style of play. The best example of this is Pendragon, where mechanisms that measure courage vs cowardice, worldliness vs purity and a whole bunch more get the players concentrating on this stuff because of how it can affect their PCs!

But, having answered your question, I think the more interesting question is this:

"What player and PC behaviour should be the focus of a typical Traveller game, and what are the appropriate mechanisms to encourage this focus?"

For T20, it accepts the mechanics of both d20 and that of Classic Traveller, and fuses them into something slightly different than either (but closer to d20). I expect that the result will never completely satisfy anyone, but because of the virus-like growth of d20 rules, most GMs can find published mechanisms they can add on to T20 to approximate what they want. An example in point, is the politics/debating rules from Dynasties & Demagogues, which could make a great addition to some T20 campaigns.

Some GMs will find the basic d20 system so problematic that they will look for an alternative, and either go to GURPS, or more likely, go to a system that they themselves adapt wholesale for Traveller. The premise behind T20 is that there are enough people happy with it as a basis, that it was worth doing (which I think has been proved out by QuikLink's sales).

That doesn't mean Classic Traveller is worthless, but more reflects the recognition that a game system that is well known, expandable and supported by multiple companies is probably a good bandwagon to get on.

Discuss!
Larsen, you old reprobate, trust you to ask the holy grail of RPG design questions.

My personal answer, based on a 20 year period of RPing in various rules systems and types of games, is that the mechanisms will certainly affect the style of play. The best example of this is Pendragon, where mechanisms that measure courage vs cowardice, worldliness vs purity and a whole bunch more get the players concentrating on this stuff because of how it can affect their PCs!

But, having answered your question, I think the more interesting question is this:

"What player and PC behaviour should be the focus of a typical Traveller game, and what are the appropriate mechanisms to encourage this focus?"

For T20, it accepts the mechanics of both d20 and that of Classic Traveller, and fuses them into something slightly different than either (but closer to d20). I expect that the result will never completely satisfy anyone, but because of the virus-like growth of d20 rules, most GMs can find published mechanisms they can add on to T20 to approximate what they want. An example in point, is the politics/debating rules from Dynasties & Demagogues, which could make a great addition to some T20 campaigns.

Some GMs will find the basic d20 system so problematic that they will look for an alternative, and either go to GURPS, or more likely, go to a system that they themselves adapt wholesale for Traveller. The premise behind T20 is that there are enough people happy with it as a basis, that it was worth doing (which I think has been proved out by QuikLink's sales).

That doesn't mean Classic Traveller is worthless, but more reflects the recognition that a game system that is well known, expandable and supported by multiple companies is probably a good bandwagon to get on.

Back