• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CotI Spica Sector Project (CSSP)

Sorry they're both in Leonidae. I think one sector is going to be difficult enough to do, let alone 2-4 all at once. ^_^

One of the minor races, the Dynchia, might still be useful in getting a feel for general migration trends, first contacts, and hiver/human relations that could be useful for Spica, though more by example than anything direct. The other, the Kargol, are mainly there to introduce some high TL biotech into a campaign. I'll see what I can dig up tonight. After I look up GT: Rim of Fire info and the CT Alien Module 6 maps, which are more relevant to Spica.

Casey
[EDIT]to clarify how the Dynchia writeup might be useful to this project[/EDIT]

Originally posted by Tony Canopus:
I hear ya! one Sector at a time, but it is important to remember that sectors are affected by the Sectors around them...
True enough, but if we end up asking anything more than "so, what's known to be in nearby sectors?" then we're more likely to get bogged down in things that aren't directly relevant to Spica. Any actual designing that we do (eg UWPs, politices, races, history etc) should be strictly kept to Spica only, IMO.

I mean more figuring out Political influences and transient populations... putting statistics behind the many kinds of faces that you would see ina Starport, for example...

I can see the logic of that, but where do we stop figuring out this sort of thing? If we look at Leonidae then one could argue that we should look at all the other surrounding sectors too, and then I fear we'd lose our focus somewhat.

Leonidae & Spica & "Other Considerations"

I think we can exercise good judgment when deciding what to take into account in regards to outside sectors.

If it's seriously important and of long-range and wide-scope, then we take it into account. If not, we don't.

But isn't the problem that we don't really know what's in the surrounding sectors anyway? They're about as much of a blank slate as Spica is aren't they?

Well, we are already making many assumptions that will affect the surrounding sectors, such as the expansion rate of the border of the Terran Confederation, Second Imperium, and Third Imperium (at their various appropriate moments in history).

It is only prudent to suggest that "some" things be taken into account in reverse. Obviously, to me, this excludes UWP generation and detail work on races or polities (at best, wide-ranging generalities might be appropriate).

There is the possibility of launching another Sector effort, but we have to think about the effect dividing our efforts will have on the individual work (which will undoubtedly suffer).

So let me see if I am getting the parameters of this task right...I tried to wade through all the posts and I got a few conflicting viewpoints...so I am appealling for help.

We are only dealing with Spica, not even Sectors around it? (I thought we were committed to doing a Domain sized book.)

That is why I asked if I could handle the Leonidae Sector...

Second question are we committed to using Berka's data with Hard Times modifications for any T4 or MT milieu and if memory serves me right TNE had its own modifications?

From what I understand:

1) We are only dealing with Spica. We only worry about anything around it if it could potentially affect something in Spica.

2) We use world location data from AotI only - all other data is replaced (including UWP, allegience, stellar data). I think the consensus so far is to re-engineer the data so it broadly matches the borders as they stand in AotI though. I may be wrong on that though.

There is the possibility of launching another Sector effort, but we have to think about the effect dividing our efforts will have on the individual work (which will undoubtedly suffer).
I would strongly discourage doing any other sectors at the same time - I have seen many instances as group projects like this start where grand plans are made and then nothing happens because they're just too big in the end. I think we should stick to the Spica sector, and Spica only. IMO, if we manage to get something complete for that, then we could consider moving onto other things.

Sorry about the misunderstanding then, I believe that I might be able to contribute some Library Data or something like that unless the Hiver worlds are up for grabs?

Then I wouldn't mind trying to get myself into a Hiver mindset...

Originally posted by Malenfant:
I would strongly discourage doing any other sectors at the same time - I have seen many instances as group projects like this start where grand plans are made and then nothing happens because they're just too big in the end. I think we should stick to the Spica sector, and Spica only. IMO, if we manage to get something complete for that, then we could consider moving onto other things.
Totally agree here.

Although I still think we should keep world/system names as close to Canon as not and only change the stuff that really makes no realistic sense (like UWPs etc. as has been indicated). I know some of the names are totally naff, but at the end of the day who knows who named it... take a look at some city names on earth...
file_22.gif

Still just my opinion though....

Also, since there seems to be large sporadic bursts of posting in this thread I think we should clearly define the objectives, and come up with some sort of a project plan as well as ideas about how we will go about it. There are lots of great ideas and discussion etc. but we need to come up with all the elements needed to complete this project and then start completing them in order.

-W.

I did update the UWP for Prt'aow, the homeworld of the Prt', in their write-up. The originally quoted Government code was a typo, so I looked up the CT values for the world, and found them to be radically different in terms of both population and government code, so I made some modifications as a compromise.

Prt'aow (Spica 2340 C966506-A)

Hope this helps,
Flynn

Good man Gruffty. I was going to hunt through and summarize your excellent outline plans, suggestions that seem to be to me at least the guiding principals by consensus.

Originally posted by Gruffty:
Essentially that's what my suggested plans have been all about. I've always left the plans as suggestions to open them out to others for contributions, which has happenend frequently.

The current plan appears to be:

0) The sector's name and subsectors names will all remain as they are, and as they have previously been published in other places;
1) Using the 1065 AotI map, adjust Solomani border back by no more than 3 parsecs to take it back to how it *might* have been in the 990s;
1a) Anyone interested in having a go at this is welcome to contribute their design/concept of the adjusted map;
2) Hiver border remains as it was;
2a) The Hiver border has been confirmed as a relatively static border, via an excellent group effort;
3) All system locations are to be as in AotI;
3a) The majority of systems will have new names, except those of significance or importance (i.e. like Prt'aow);
4) Barring a few exceptions (like Prt'aow), all UWPs will be newly generated, adjusted to make sense and to take into account stellar data/effects;
5) Stellar data will be generated for each system using Malenfant's much more realistic stellar generation system;
6) Allegiances will be assigned according to borders (i.e. those on the inside of the Solomani border will be Solomani Confederation; those on the inside of the Hiver's border will be Hiver Federation; those in the "gap"/buffer zone/neutral zone/soft zone will be assigned some form of allegiance further down the sector development pathway;
7) The historical aspects of the sector are being discussed as the development pathway progresses and will influence UWPs, allegiances, trade routes, etc;
8) The races in the sector are being discussed and a list compiled for reference for later use;
9) Polls will be used to resolve disagreements on aspects of the sector that cannot be resolved in any other fashion - polls can be requested/accessed via Malenfant, CSSP moderator.

There was a suggestion, early on, that we make this a "book" project. I will admit the idea appealed to me but discussions were had about being realistic and making sure the sector actually made it to completion. So whilst the idea of making the project a book hasn't been kicked into touch, it is not at the top of the group "to do list" at present.

Once the border for the Solomani Confederation has been established and agreed, then the real work of developing the nuts and bolts information can begin (i.e. UWPs, stellar data). Running parallel with that will be the historical development side which will influence the overall feel of the project.

How we go about deciding who develops what has not yet been raised, although I am sure it will be, and that it will be dealt with in the friendly, co-operative manner that the project so far has.

(Puts down NHS management jargon book and goes for a smoke - old man in flat cap with whippet dog claps slowly at the back of the empty hall. Sounds of FGMP-15s going off outside as Guinea Marines over-run and liberate a pet shop.) [/QB]
Gruffty - can you repost this to a new thread so it doesn't get lost in this one? Sounds like a good plan to me. (I thought I could move posts into new threads myself as Mod, but apparently I can't).

what do people think of compiling this as a flash movie, complete with some animations and interactive maps. Its what I do for a living and I know it would be simpler to produce than an html site and alot sexier, and it could be availiable for download as a standalone, but still with the capacity for updates. And we can make printable material (charts, maps, deckplans etc) embedded in it.

I know this is pie in the sky at this stage, but I thought throw in the suggestion....

Yah, that's just a tad ambitious
. Let's get the content sorted out before we decide to do funky things with it ;)

Back