• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Deckplan Challenge - Contest

Originally posted by atpollard:
For what it is worth, try designing a 2dTon, 2G, 5 passenger ship with any system. I bet the Engineering section will be about the same size and I bet the cost will be in the millions of credits. The systems aren't all that different. This is roughly HG TL 10 without the arbitrary 1 dTon limits. Everything else is candy.
My point is, it's hard to judge your design if it doesn't actually use a valid set of rules.

But...challenge accepted:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Minicraft, x class Minicraft (FF&S v2)
Designed by AB

Statistics
Tons: 2std ( SL Medium Box Transonic ) Crew: 1/1 Cargo: 0std (0/00)
Volume: 28m3 Passengers High/Med: 0/5 Cost: 3.9 MCr
Mass (L/C): 41t/40t Passengers Low: 0 Maintenance Points: 1
Dimensions: 4.8m x 2.4m x 2.4m Troops/Science: 0/0 Tech Level: 13
Size: 6 Frozen Watch: 0

Electronics
Controls: Holographic, High automation. 2xComp (CM:1.0 CP:1.0). Terrain following sensors (TF:510, NOE:170). No bridge.
Communications: 1xRadio (50,000km, 0.02MW). 1xLaser (50,000km, 0MW).
Sensors: 1xPEMS (12.5 [1.6mkm], 0MW).
Survey/Science:
ECM:
Signatures: Vis:-0.5, IR:-0.5 (-0.5 at 11MW, -1 at 1MW), Act:0, Neu:-1, Grav:-1

Weaponry Performance
0 Jump
2 Maneuver (/Thruster:10MW)
1 Contra-grav (0MW)
1100kph/1100kph Atmosphere (/Crus:825kph/825kph)
11 Power (/Fus:10.6MW,0.1yr )
0 Battery
0 Fuel
0/0/0/0/0 Accomodations
0 Life Sup. (/Ty:St,Nm /'St)
2 G-Comp
</pre>[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ravs:
Yeah, yeah, Boulton....do some deck plans of that lovely highport you posted and then you can talk! ;)

Ravs
[slap] </font>[/QUOTE]No, I want to do the highport deckplans!

(kidding aside, I actually love doing station plans... there are different challenges to meet than ships)

Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
A Point of Clarification, please:

Since Deckplans are primarily driven by the volume of spaces, what is the size of your Engineering in cubic meters? (the crew/passenger cabin is assumed to be the remaining space).

Originally posted by mickazoid:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
Yeah, yeah, Boulton....do some deck plans of that lovely highport you posted and then you can talk! ;)

Ravs

(kidding aside, I actually love doing station plans... there are different challenges to meet than ships)
</font>[/QUOTE]That's great news, Mickazoid! I was hoping you were going to join in! I love your work.

Ravs

A Point of Clarification, please:

Since Deckplans are primarily driven by the volume of spaces, what is the size of your Engineering in cubic meters? (the crew/passenger cabin is assumed to be the remaining space).
</font>[/QUOTE]Drives etc: 14.45
Fuel: 0.05
Electronics: 0.27
Cargo: 1

Originally posted by mickazoid:
No, I want to do the highport deckplans!
Yeah, talk is cheap ... bet you couldn't do a Hiver highport! At TL B, say. ;)

Andrew Boulton: Wow, FFS2 really is very incompatible with High Guard. Is it that different from T20 and Gurps Traveller (the two current systems)? I was just wondering how T5 would handle starship design. (Sorry, I’m getting off topic).

Your 2 dTon FFS2 ship is about 50 percent engineering and fits 5 people into 1 dTon of space. My 2 dTon HG derived Mini Craft Rules ship is 16 percent engineering and fits 5 people into 1.5 dTons of space.

High Guard (HG) would require 5% for MD-2, 2% for fuel, and 2% PP-2 at TL 15 for a total of 9% of the ship for engineering. At TL 13-14, the PP-2 is 4% for 11% engineering. At TL 9-12, the PP-2 is 6% for 13% engineering. At TL 7-8, the PP-2 is 8% for 15% engineering.

I wanted my Mini Craft rules to produce a craft that was just a little worse than HG, B2 and Striker to allow Small Craft below 20 dTons without encouraging Rules lawyers to exploit it to produce Super Fighters. I chose to increase the required engineering space to 8% of the ship per G of acceleration to allow for MD/PP/Fuel smaller than the HG 3 dTon minimum that would be slightly worse than a TL 7-8 HG design above the 20 dTon “launch” size. All of this information is intended to help you evaluate the Mini Craft in light of a “valid set of rules” like High Guard.

The only HG rule which has been violated is the arbitrary minimum sizes, which I have violated at every chance.

Originally posted by ravs:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mickazoid:

Ravs

</font>[/QUOTE]That's great news, Mickazoid! I was hoping you were going to join in! I love your work.

Ravs
</font>[/QUOTE]The chance to work on plans for some of these great ship designers is a reward in itself.
I owe a few plans to a few folks (Sid, I haven't forgot!), but I'd be delighted to work on any station plans that you talented folks have in mind. Contact me via PM or X-boat.

Originally posted by the Bromgrev:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mickazoid:
No, I want to do the highport deckplans!
Yeah, talk is cheap ... bet you couldn't do a Hiver highport! At TL B, say. ;) </font>[/QUOTE]"I am the Lizard King. I can do anything."

Tell you what, I'll do a sketch and see if it scares you enough.

Wow, FFS2 really is very incompatible with High Guard.
Actually, it's pretty close in many ways. MD & JD are identical IIRC. Computers & PPs are more efficient.

Is it that different from T20 and Gurps Traveller (the two current systems)?
T20 is High Guard Plus. GT is...different.

Your 2 dTon FFS2 ship is about 50 percent engineering and fits 5 people into 1 dTon of space. My 2 dTon HG derived Mini Craft Rules ship is 16 percent engineering and fits 5 people into 1.5 dTons of space.
Most of that 50% is the thrusters, which have a min size of 10m3.

Your house rules seem reasonable, but they *are* house rules, and so probably not valid (IMO).

Mikazoid said:

The chance to work on plans for some of these great ship designers is a reward in itself. I owe a few plans to a few folks (Sid, I haven't forgot!), but I'd be delighted to work on any station plans that you talented folks have in mind. Contact me via PM or X-boat.
That's wonderful. You could do a joint entry with someone else who can do the stats. Andrew? Care to stat your highport for Mikazoid to turn into deckplan loveliness?

Ravs

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by robject:
Do you mean a qsp file? It's just the ascii deckplan for a ship.
I think it needs a font called T5NADeckPlan.ttf by SJG. </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks!

Back