• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Deckplan Challenge - Contest

So would I

Originally posted by far-trader:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flykiller:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />What I've come up with, subject to whim, is interpreting the minimum 10tons as being a required airlock (3tons), 5 workstations (5tons) and the minimum repair and maintencance gear lockers (2tons). The remaining 10tons may be used as access corridors, extra workstations, or airlocks, ...
in other words, no bridge. </font>[/QUOTE]Um, no, all that is the bridge, being items required to safely operate the ship. As opposed to say including sickbays, vehicle shops, or labs in "bridge" tonnage.

Of that, the bridge proper is going to be defined by the placement and use of the workstations. Centered on moving the ship so at a minimum 2 of the workstations, Piloting and Astrogation, will define The Bridge.

I should have perhaps expanded more clearly on workstation requirements for ships over 1Kton. Naturally you will require enough for the additional crew, at least those requiring interface with the ship's operation. So such ship's will need a minimum of 7 workstations. 2 Command stations (Captain and 1st Officer), 2 Piloting stations (Helm officers), 2 Astrogation stations (Astro officers), and 1 Communications station (Commo officer). Command support personell don't require workstations but I would add them. So the bridge proper for a ship over 1Kton is likely to have 10 workstations.

Anyway, I posted all that last night because it was the discussion of the moment when I went looking for the thread and I thought to add my thoughts, for feedback as much as anything. It's certainly not official though I think it meshes well with the intent. What I meant to post as follow up was my own participation announcement, but I got snagged by other interest after that post

So without much further ado...
</font>[/QUOTE]ok guess its my turn to add a stick to the hornets nest....LOL
i can definetly tell not many former naval people are into traveller, or at least not looking at this set of posts. (now while im not navy myself, several of my players are, and boy did they remind me of a few factors) 1) T20 (at least) did not take into concideration the fact that most ships are run on a 6 hours on/12 off set up, so that a) the crews never get used to the same setup each day, and b) more relax time to counter the stressful times. 2) when setting up the watch you would have (roughly, and using the LARGE ship format) 1 of the command officers (ie Capt. or XO or 3rd in Command) 1 helmsman/helmswoman, 1 astrogator, and at least 1 engineering officer on duty at all times. so in MTU, i bumped the numbers up accordingly, plus added crews as follows, for every 10 medics/1 Dr. On ships larger then 20000 t, i add both the support crew and the ratings levels listed, plus a few changes to things like gunnery crew, flight crews, ect.
So the way i see it, on big ships it should have 2 command chairs (Capt. and XO), a helm, an astrogator, and i always liked the *star trek* idea of having an engineering station on the bridge, so the captain doesnt have to call down and find out whats going on, plus i always thought the gunnery and comm officer should have a post on the bridge.
As for how i fit it all in, i base it on the basic small couch, something not meant to be tooo comfy, but something you can work while sitting on.
well waits to hear responces...
and again this is all only lil ole' mine opinion
Dracos

The Ship Design Challenge

OK, as we've all been talking about it and not doing it and as the idea seems to have stalled, here is the deck-plan challenge, given that many of us will have some time off work over the christmas period and will be able to put some serious time into the project:

Prizes:
Best Ship Design overall: US$ 50 - Donor: Ravells
Best Ship Design (artistic impression): US$ 25 - Donor Ravells
Best Ship Design (technical merit): US$ 25 - Donor Ravells
Most Original Ship Design: US$ 10 - Donor sid6.7

(in the event of a tie, the prize will be split equally among the winners)

Rules:

1. Your deckplan must be posted on this thread (you can post a link if you prefer) by no later than midnight on 31st January 2007 GMT (the Closing Date). Your Ship Design must also be emailed to me at ravifelicity@yahoo.co.uk. (you can email me a link if you prefer) You agree that your Ship Design will be posted (either by me or by you) to the Flibrary when it comes up again. You agree to the terms and conditions of posting to the Flibrary whether it is posted there by you or me for all in the community to use. You also agree that your Ship Design can be published in Flynn's 'Stellar Reaches' fanzine should he so choose to publish it - regardless whether you win or lose. I will delete all the Ship Designs in my possession after the competition is over.

2. Your Ship Design can be of any starship, space station or vehicle of your choosing and can comprise as much graphics and text as you wish. Ship stats without a pictorial deckplan are welcome (although they will obviously not be considered for the artistic impression prize).

3. Your Ship Design must be original. Original means not previously published (either online or in print either it its full or substantially full form - judge's decision) You can edit your Ship Design as much as you like before the Closing Date, but you must send me your new Ship Design by email. When the poll starts I will open a new thread exhibiting all the Ship Designs submitted for final voting. You cannot change your Ship Design after that.

4. Shortly after the Closing Date, I will open a poll on this forum and we all vote on the best design. This will be a closed poll, so you won't be able to see the results after you have voted, but the results will be published after the poll has closed. The poll will be open for two weeks. You will only be allowed to vote once. Suspiciously high numbers of votes will be scrutinised for cheating. If in the judge's opinion (I will not be the only judge) there has been cheating, votes may be discounted.

5. This competition and its rules will come into effect at midnight 11th December 2006 GMT and are subject to change until that date. If you wish to propose a change, please post your suggestion here, so everyone can see and comment on it. I will edit this post as the suggestions come in and are adopted, but at midnight 11th December 2006 GMT the rules posted here will be taken as final and not subject to change.

6. To be eligible to receive the prize money, you MUST qualify to receive payment by paypal. I will not be sending any cheques, money orders, bank transfers etc. Payment is by paypal only. Payment will be made to the email address set out on the deckplan itself. You may replace the @ symbol by the word 'at' when you post your deckplan here. If your email address is not on the deckplan you will not be elegible to receive the prize. Prize donors are soley responsible for sending prize money to winners.

7. You may submit up to 5 entries.

8. The judges' decision is final.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

Best of luck everyone and please take this in good spirit.

Happy designing everyone!

Ravs

p.s. I know it's not a lot of prize money but it's as much as I can afford. If you'd like to contribute by adding to the existing prizes or offering a prize in a new category, please email me at ravells@hotmail.com

i've offered 10$ as a 4th class of prize.

the class will be, most original design
for a starship.

i would prefer if you have a paypal account,
but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Originally posted by sid6.7:
for a starship.
Does that rule out non-jump capable spacecraft? ;)

Somebody had to ask, might as well be me.

Hi all, I've extended the Closing date to 31st January 2007 as it has been pointed out that some people actually have less time over the Christmas period than they do normally.

Ravs

Originally posted by atpollard:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sid6.7:
for a starship.
Does that rule out non-jump capable spacecraft? ;)

Somebody had to ask, might as well be me.
</font>[/QUOTE]arf...

okay "ship", is that better? :(

Hi !

Another contest - cool.
But do we really need a cash price ?

I would participate also without.

So the deckplan topic itself is quite free ?
Hu, might lead to focussing problems ....

regards,

TE

It would be nice to have something to do over christmas and to have a little incentive to post a deckplan!

One suggestion is that the deckplans should not be posted up for public voting until the viewing starts, the idea being that people do not get discouraged from posting if they see a design they think is better. For me the prize money should be secondary and the fun of the competition should come first, but does anyone have any views on the subject?

Ravs

yes i too believe posting should not happen
till voting starts, it would almost be better
if the contest managment recieved the plans
via email..then the contest managment do the
posting in conjuction with the poll. annoying
but worth it.

having prizes is just a neat way to reward people
for hard work and have a larger turnout then
what might be normal for a contest.

The Contest is now open.

I've thought hard about it and I reckon we'll get a better turnout if people get inspired by the deckplans that are posted up here rather than a long period of silence (we don't really care about the cash prizes, do we?), so please post your designs here when you want to.

I've renamed it 'the Ship Design Challenge' so you can post deckplans only, deckplans and stats or stats only - it's up to you.

I'll be travelling and will only be in sporadic touch until 8th January, so you may not hear an awful lot from me until then.

Also, Sigg Odora, Andrew Boulton and The Engineer have kindly agreed to be judges to ensure fair play etc. although they too will participate (I hope!).

Good luck everyone!

Ravs

Originally posted by ravs:
Your Ship Design can be of any starship, space station or vehicle of your choosing and can comprise as much graphics and text as you wish.
What do you mean by "Vehicle"? Small Craft? Or ground/grav/air vehicles as well?

To be eligible to receive the prize money, you MUST qualify to receive payment by paypal. I will not be sending any cheques, money orders, bank transfers etc. Payment is by paypal only. Payment will be made to the email address set out on the deckplan itself. You may replace the @ symbol by the word 'at' when you post your deckplan here. If your email address is not on the deckplan you will not be elegible to receive the prize. Prize donors are soley responsible for sending prize money to winners.
If I'll find myself able to post entries for the contest, I'll open up a PayPal account; I hope I could create one without having to upgrade my credit-card to an international one (with all the related fees and comissions).

Hi Employee,

Vehicle means any vehicle: from a bicycle to a space-faring battleship.

Re the paypal, it may be easier if you find a friend with a paypal account and put their email address on your entries so you don't have to go through the credit card hasseles etc.

Kind Regards

Ravs

mostly book 5, some house rules.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fleet Frontier Frigate, Irkhuar-class

Irkhuars are general purpose patrol frigates, suppressing piracy
and providing imperial law enforcement in those areas with no local
space-going governments and also in counties and marches that need
assistance or reinforcement. Fully capable of dealing with most
civilian ships and civilian-ship-based pirate vessels. Operate out of
home bases and have only six months endurance away from port. Not
expected to fill any major wartime role except to run interference
against commerce raiders in their areas of responsibility. Typically
operate in pairs.

"Irkhuar" is a vilani word that refers to a minor official who, because
of the absence of superiors, assumes an "on the scene" role more
significant than his status would indicate. Irkhuars are named after
famous subordinates of history who suddenly found themselves in
charge.

Tech 12, 1900 dtons spheroid, streamlined
(bridge, sensors, and weapons upgraded to tech 15)
MANNING
Command 24 men, 20 staterooms
Engineering 9 men, 5 staterooms
Gunnery 7 men, 4 staterooms
Service 3 men, 2 staterooms
Flight 2 men, 1 staterooms
Troops 12 men, 7 staterooms
TOTAL 57 men, 39 staterooms
SENSORS
Model 9 Sensor Suite (tech 15) (12 energy points required)
ENGINEERING
Jump 3 (57 energy points required for jump 3)
Maneuver 4 (76 energy points required for maximum agility 4)
Power Plant (128 energy points generated)
Fuel Purifier
FUEL TANKAGE CAPACITY
570 dtons (up to 3 parsecs total jump distance)
128 dtons (4 weeks power plant ops)
ENDURANCE
Cargo for 6 Months Endurance
WEAPONS
1 Factor 9 Beam Laser Battery (30 energy points required)
1 Gunnery Station
DEFENSES
1 Factor 1 Nuclear Damper Screen (10 energy points required)
1 Factor 7 Sand Caster Battery
1 Gunnery Station
Sand Magazine: 30 reloads
Armor 4 (0 + 4 inherent)
CREW ACCOMODATIONS
39 Crew Staterooms
2 Damage Control Stations
5 Holobooths
Medical Facility
Brig
CARRIED CRAFT
2 Lifeboats
1 Ship's Gig
1 Huey
2 Air Rafts
CARGO
MISCELLANEOUS
4 Extra Staterooms
10 Low Berths

--------------------------------------

IRKHUAR DTONNAGES
component rating dtonnage
--------------------------------------
----HULL
bridge 38
sensors 9 (tech 15) 13
jump 3 76
maneuver 4 209
power plant 384
fuel purifier 21
armor 0 (+4 inherent) 0
ship's cargo 2 25 (766)

----FUEL
jump 570
power plant 128 (698)

----WEAPONS
1 factor 9 beam laser battery 11 (11)

----DEFENSES
factor 1 nuclear damper screen 50
factor 7 sand caster battery 15 (65)

----CREW ACCOMODATIONS
39 crew staterooms 156
2 DC stations 8
4 holobooths 8
medical facility 9
brig 2 (183)

----CARRIED CRAFT
2 lifeboats 60
1 ship's gig 30
1 Huey 30
2 air rafts 16 (136)

----CARGO
0 (0)

----MISCELLANEOUS
4 extra staterooms 16
10 low berths 8 (24)

----REMAINING EXCESS DTONNAGE
(confirmed) 17

----CONSTRUCTION DTONNAGE

----NOTES
26Oct2005

----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------</pre>[/QUOTE]

So, If I am working on one should I post preliminaries or only finished stats?

I have had an Idea for a time, but never started it till the contest was announced.

Basically it is as much using the tools and concepts as the design itself.

A 34000 luxury liner. 15 decks. It will be submitted in Campaign cartographer using Cosmographer.

There will be deckplans, highguard stats (alright T20 using the T20 spreadsheet that is available.) an analysis of revenue, and an extended text description.

It is being designed using thoughts from several ongoing discussions. (stateroom sizes, life support calculated for retail spaces based on equivalent stateroom space taken up, and others.)

Using the ship layout spread sheet it is going even smoother and quicker than I had hoped, so may be out early January if I get something done over the holiday.

Possibly even to include adventure hooks.

You can amend as often as you like until midnight GMT 31st January 2007. After that whatever you have posted is/are considered to be your final entry/entries (I will ask for the thread to be locked). There will then be another thread with a poll for voting.

cheers

Ravs

Damn it.

Now I want to do everything!

OK first off a ship I've used for a campaign, the "Magnolia Flower". The image is a shapes and volume sketch. Some things aren't labeled as well as perhaps they should be. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it already.

Yes. The spaceship has both a sauna and a spa.

Specification wise it is a converted 500 dTon liner. Moderately well armed (2 civilian class triple missile launchers, 2 triple sand launchers, 1 double mining laser turret).

liner.jpg

Lower.png

Upper.png

Bits.png

Back