• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Free movement of citizens?

... telling subject peoples you require X number of bodies for Y purposes each year is as old as the Pyramids.

Imperial agents then divvy said warm bodies among the IM, IN, and IISS.

What is so difficult about that?
well ... the comparison is a bit off. the imperium isn't building pyramids, it's operating high-tech facilities. even if the supplied serfs are mostly well-behaved the imperium would have to deal with the occasional oddball that would rebel and fire an FGMP at the CO, accelerate a shuttle into the command bridge, or pop an airlock at the wrong moment, just to get back at his captors. yeah, they can then kill the guy's friends and family (if that's what they do), but that doesn't solve their problem. serfs aren't likely to be worthwhile to the imperium.

it would, however, provide a few adventure hooks.

Originally posted by flykiller:
well ... the comparison is a bit off. the imperium isn't building pyramids, it's operating high-tech facilities.
Fly,

No floors to mop? No dishes to wash? No 57th Century version of stoop labor? The Imperium has had over one thousand years of fitting people from a myriad of cultures and technical backgrounds into its high-tech services. I think they must have a pretty good system of both finding the proper hole for each peg and making each peg fit the hole they need it to.

even if the supplied serfs are mostly well-behaved the imperium would have...
Ahhh, that's the bit you missed. The Imperium has set standards applying to types of people it wants drafted/recruited by the world(s) in question. You aren't going to meet those standards by handing over Kalihari Bushmen, looney bin fodder, New Guinea Highlanders, Whipsnades, or inner city Neo-barbarians. The Imperium has standards you must meet or there will be Questions(tm).

The world in question is told that the Imperium expects to draft/hire X number of people from the local population each year. The world has a choice of either drafting/recruiting those people itself for Imperial service or allowing the Imperium to move among the population and do necessary drafting/recruiting. Some worlds, wishing to limit off-world contact for various reasons, will opt to perform the service themselves. They will then only recruit those people for Imperial service that meet the Imperium's standards and that they feel are trustworthy.

This thread started out with a question about the movement of people across extrality borders, specifically how the Imperium gets recruits from hi-gov/hi-law worlds. I'm suggesting an idea that (1) keeps Imperial involvement in planetary affairs to a minimum and (2) still allows Imperial service members from such worlds.

It also adds a nice Far Future Touch which drives home the idea to Traveller players that this is the 57th Century of the 11,000 world Imperium and not Western society on 2004 Earth. Too many Traveller campaigns are nothing but Jersey City with jump drives.

serfs aren't likely to be worthwhile to the imperium.
Please repeat after me; No Serfs, No Serfs, No Serfs. Unless the Imperium needs a potential ag-world developed on the cheap! ;)

it would, however, provide a few adventure hooks.
Which is the only thing that counts.

Sincerely,
Larsen

^ I agree; the "draft" does seem to indicate the presence of an empire wide conscription program, atleast for the military. In addition, providing conscripts to the feudal lord is historically a standard requirement for any fief.

It makes sense that each world would be required to provide a portion of it's best and brightest to Imperial service. The Imperium may even encourage this through an Imperial university system and scholarships to desirable candidates, like the service academies in the U.S.

As for the deltas, these jobs would be easily filled through simple recruitment of locals off the street. The local government may contract these requirements to local contractors, as is done here in the States with numerous government administrative positions. No need for a political solution.

I would rather imagine Great Leader (TM) would find the imperal draft a rather useful tool. Great Leader does not want the annoying political opposition to gain an upper hand, or even be a real annoyance. And most of these people are the kind of intelligent, active individuals that the Imperium wants. So the Great Leader sets up a college to educate the elite to run the world. And everyone at college is given a Loyaty Test (TM). Pass the test and you are promoted to the Great Leader's army. Fail and you get shipped over the XT line to serve in the Imperium. Everyone wins.

Originally posted by Larsen E. Whipsnade:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
No. Such mediums of exchange (people's services) are difficult to account for, and more difficult to write up and impose (in a manner that fends off the obvious appearance of slavery, which definitely isn't allowed).
RoS,

Good Sweet Strephon! You can't be that blinkered can you? Because it is too difficult to pop into a spreadsheet it won't be done?
</font>[/QUOTE]It isn't too difficult to "pop" into a spreadsheet. I'm sure some symbolic representation (like, I don't know, maybe, hmmm, labor-hours, or some such thing) could be created. However, the difference between what can be done, and what is more ideal (money transactions, that's what they're there for), is huge.

I'm not an accountant, but I can't imagine the large companies and governments of Earth trying to successfully run their General Ledger in such terms (and we're chump change in comparison to the titanic accounting needs of the Imperium). The whole and entire reason we have money everywhere today is because stone wheels, conch shells, and labor hours were too incovenient to use in accounting for the differences in the value between differening levels of the exchanges of goods and services.

"Yesterday, we bought a 20 kDton light cruiser for 200 MegaLabor-Hours . . . ," nah, it doesn't sound right."

And it's not too hard to write up and impose either, telling subject peoples you require X number of bodies for Y purposes each year is as old as the Pyramids.
It depends on whether YTU has the Imperium as a copy of North Korea or not. MTU's Imperium isn't.

Imperium battlefleet tells World Z that it now a part of the Imperium.
That happened all the time in the beginning of the Imperium, but by the Antebellum years and later, even before the Civil War, that sort of thing had pretty much come to an end.

World Z says thank you.
Or World Z launches a rebellion that takes three hundred years to suppress. As happened on numerous worlds IMTU, and which I belive must have happened on at least some worlds that Imperium took by force in the OTU.

Imperium tells World Z that; besides other things, it expects X number of recruits from the population each year. Imperium tells World Z that all said recruits must meet these requirements. Imperium tells World Z that either it must allow Imperial recrutiers or World Z can do the recruiting itself. Not wanting the population of their hermit kingdom to get restive, World Z chooses the latter. World Z drafts prospective recruits from its own population and hands them over to the Imperium. Imperial agents then divvy said warm bodies among the IM, IN, and IISS.

What is so difficult about that?
Individual Member World Governments cannot be interefered with in such a manner as far as I'm concerned. They and their population are separate, as long as the world pays monetary taxes. It is the job of the Local Noble for that world (Marquis or Baron), to make sure the world has a method of generating those taxes. It is the very nature of the "freedom of movement" that prevents oppresive governments, when they're too oppresive, everyone one the world starts signing up with Imperial Services voluntarily, and they never come back.

As for substituting bodies in place of monetary taxes (the Credit), that goes back to the whole system of exchange in the Imperium being the Credit, not bodies. I doubt the Imperium would accept bodies in place of Credits. Any attempt to do so leads directly to a body trade, which is, effectively, slavery.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Can you point me at that?
Fail the enlistment roll for your career of choice and you must submit to the Draft.
</font>[/QUOTE]That sophont went out and tried to enroll first. The "draft" in this case is not a "conscript" system, it's a "you didn't get what you wanted and got stuck in a place you didn't desire," system. There is nothing mandatory about trying to enlist in the first place.

I'm suggesting an idea that (1) keeps Imperial involvement in planetary affairs to a minimum and (2) still allows Imperial service members from such worlds.
I guess our ideas of what constitutes minimum involvement differ.

If the Imperium is on the doorstep of a candidate Member World Government, making such demands as follow:
Imperium battlefleet tells World Z that it now a part of the Imperium . . .
Then I call that a force majeure level of involvement.

Originally posted by Ran Targas:
^ I agree; the "draft" does seem to indicate the presence of an empire wide conscription program, atleast for the military.
I explained why, in a previous post, here: See Bottom of Post, why I thought the character generation "draft" was not a system of conscription.

Originally posted by Ran Targas:
In addition, providing conscripts to the feudal lord is historically a standard requirement for any fief.
And also, historically, fuedal lords paid their superiors in the system with agricultural products, labor (to build cathedrals and castles), etc. However, as soon as money became common enough to substitute, it was used immediately. Why? Because it was a vastly superior form of exchange. Today, attempting to pay your taxes by providing chickens to the IRS isn't going to work, and it wouldn't work in the Imperium, either, because the Ministry of the Treasury can't use chickens to buy starships conveniently enough to make it worth their while to support such a thing.

Or maybe...

Like I said, (which seemed to be ignored)-

Imperial policy is to let local governments govern themselves. WITHIN THE LIMITS OF IMPERIAL POLICY.

Imperial policy has been generalized to mean, but not to be limited to, issues involving military/defense and economic progress.

No movement of citizens on a massive level = no economic progress. Certainly not the kind that the 3I is built on (which is a remarkably free-market capitalism).

If a local government says "we're stopping criminals from crossing the extrality line so we can prosecute them," the Imperium says. "Okay, fine; that's your business."

If a local govermnet says "we're stopping all movement across the extrality line," the Imperium lands the Marines.

On the other hand, if a local government wanted to stop a specific person from crossing the line, all they'd have to do is drum up some sort of criminal or civil charges against that person and the Imperium probably wouldn't even care.

In fact, a local government could probably prohibit some fairly large groups using similar tactics on a broader scale.

However, the closer they got to actually closing down the extrality line, the more likely they'd be to arouse Imperial ire and face consequences ranging from political snubs and economic decisions all the way up to interdiction or invasion.

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
"Yesterday, we bought a 20 kDton light cruiser for 200 MegaLabor-Hours . . . ," nah, it doesn't sound right."
RoS,

I have been insufficiently clear. This draft is not in lieu of monetary taxes. Rather it is part of the world's obligation to the Imperium in addition to taxes. In my original post I asked if you had every thought that warm bodies were part of the taxes a world owed, not all of the taxes a world owed.

Also, by 'taxes' I was referring to all the obligations a world owed the Imperium and just not the monetary variety. Land for Imperial bases is a 'tax' of sorts.

And the arrival of the Imperial battlefleet isn't a yearly occurance or Imperial interference in the planet's goverment. I wrote of that as a bit of shorthand concerning the world's entry into the Imperium. Each system or group of system entered in a different manner, at a different time, and has a different history of relations with the Imperium; i.e. your suggested rebellions.

How the system became a member, when it became a member, and how it has behaved as a member will all determine how much it pays in monetary taxes, how many of its natives the Imperium expects to draft/recruit, and all the rest.

That (orbiting battlefleets - LEW) happened all the time in the beginning of the Imperium, but by the Antebellum years and later, even before the Civil War, that sort of thing had pretty much come to an end.
I wasn't suggesting that it did.

Or World Z launches a rebellion that takes three hundred years to suppress. As happened on numerous worlds IMTU, and which I belive must have happened on at least some worlds that Imperium took by force in the OTU.
But of course. Canon is littered with examples. And for every classic guns blazing rebellion, there are a hundred cases of nonviolent noncompliance and renegotiations.

Every world is different, the Imperium is a mass of exceptions, and reducing it to a spreadsheet; UWP Z means obligations X every time, betrays an utter lack of imagination.

Portraying the Imperium as an interstellar 21st Century Nation-state based on the principles of territorial soveriegnty instead of a far different kind of polity based on the principles of territorial supremacy betrays a lack of imagination too.

It is the very nature of the "freedom of movement" that prevents oppresive governments, when they're too oppresive, everyone one the world starts signing up with Imperial Services voluntarily, and they never come back.
Freedom of movement? Score a laugh point.

Explain the charnal house world in Deneb ruled by the Ward of Vision in terms of 'freedom of movement'. Hell, explain Red Zones in terms of 'freedom of movement'. The number of hellholes in the Imperium put paid to your idea. If people could vote with their feet, such worlds wouldn't exist.

There is no explicit or implicit freedom of movement across extrality lines in the OTU. YTU and MTU may be different.

And you think that insisting on a certain number of bodies be drafted/recruited is an interference by the Imperium in local matters? What would an insistence on freedom of movement across the port extrality line be? What would allowing an entire population a 'Get Out Of Crout Free' card be?

As for substituting bodies in place of monetary taxes (the Credit)...
No. Repeat after me, bodies as well as money. The Imperium reserves the right to draft/recruit X number of bodies from said planetary population in addition to the monetary payments a world owes. A world then has the choice of drafting/recruiting for the Imperium or letting the Imperium do the job.

The "draft" in this case is not a "conscript" system, it's a "you didn't get what you wanted and got stuck in a place you didn't desire," system. There is nothing mandatory about trying to enlist in the first place.
Well, it is mandatory if you want to create a PC. You are either enlisted; read 'recruited', or drafted; read 'drafted'!

I'm always struck by the way people use bits and pieces of the chargen to 'prove' certain things about their TUs; like the 'fact' that all marines don't use battledress because every marine doens't get battledress automatically, while ignoring other portions of the chargen that don't quite fit their TU.

This isn't a chinese take-away menu where you pick from different columns, if one part of the chargen is useful then all parts are useful. If you can use the chargen to create TO&Es for Imperial units; and people have, then you can use the chargen to presume the existence of something akin to a draft.

When it comes to illuminating the OTU, I always look for odd or different explanations. As much as possible and plausible I want a sense of otherworldliness, I want the PCs to realize that they're not in Kansas anymore, and I don't want the PCs to treat the entire affair as 'Jersey City with jump drives'.

YMMV.

Sincerely,
Larsen

If the Imperium is on the doorstep of a candidate Member World Government, making such demands as follow:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Larsen E. Whipsnade:
Then I call that a force majeure level of involvement. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]RoS,

And as I explained, that orbiting battlefleet was merely shorthand for how the world entered the Imperium. It is not the 57th Century equivalent of a 1040 Form.

Strike that... It is usually not the 57th Century version of a 1040 Form. If rebellions are as common as you suggest (which I agree with BTW), then Imperial IRS battlefleets have served a few 1040 Forms via deadfall ordinance.

Sincerely,
Larsen

IMO, both the Imperial government and world government(s) can restrict the movement of people across the extrality line of the starport.

Today, attempting to pay your taxes by providing chickens to the IRS isn't going to work, and it wouldn't work in the Imperium, either, because the Ministry of the Treasury can't use chickens to buy starships conveniently enough to make it worth their while to support such a thing. [/QB]
RoS,

Beware my friend! Don't let yourself fall into the Morass of Spreadsheetism. Across 1000 years and among 11,000 worlds there will be exceptions.

Sure, you can't pay your taxes in chickens... usually. However, there are and have been exceptions. Recently, the IRS ran a dog track down south for a few years as a way of getting the back taxes it was due. There have been plenty of other examples too. Look at Willie Nelson.

Now I am not saying that Imperial worlds pay their taxes primarily in goods and services. Knorbes simply doesn't cough up a metric ton of tree kraken legs and call it all even. However, what I am saying is that certain worlds, for certain periods, and in certain situations will pay their taxes by non-monetary methods.

Look at Dojodo/Mora. Four thousand people squatting on a near-vacuum ice ball and no trade to speak of despite Mora beig next door. What do they pay their taxes with? What can they pay their taxes with? Well, it seems there is a scoutbase in the system...

Perhaps Dojodo owes X CrImps in taxes each and the Imperium rents the land for its scoutbase for exactly X CrImps per year. An accountant would say that money changed hands because that sum shifted among a few columns on her spreadsheet, but the rest of us know differently. Dojodo just paid her taxes with land and neither than world or the Imperium saw a centi-CrImp of actual cash.

Now if prospectors on Dojodo find a huge ore body and a Unobtanium Rush begins, then the way in which Dojodo pays her taxes will most certianly change.

Summing up all my blather;

- Planetary obligations to the Imperium are an ever changing mix of monetary taxes, goods & services, draft/recruiting targets, and other items.
- The manner in which member systems meet their obligations will depend on that system's current relationship with the Imperium.
- There is no one system to determine these obligations because each Imperial-Member World relationship different.

The last part is the most important. First, it stresses the feudal-territorial supremacy nature of the Imperium and distinguishes it from our current nation state-territorial sovereignty model. Second, it make for better game play.

Sincerely,
Larsen

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />it would, however, provide a few adventure hooks.
Which is the only thing that counts.</font>[/QUOTE]well, believability counts too. I just can't see a high tech society that puts a premium on education having much need or use for potentially hostile conscripts. the work where conscripts would be the safest and most useful are precisely the fields where mechanization and automation are the most effective, i.e. it's economically and socially cheaper to pick your own cotton.

now in an occasional local setting, yes, it would probably show up somewhere.

Originally posted by flykiller:
[QB]I just can't see a high tech society that puts a premium on education having much need or use for potentially hostile conscripts.
Fly,

Why do you assume they'd be potentially hostile? Would it be that hard to find a few thousand people a year on a world of of hudreds of millions if not billions who might want to be drafted? Another poster pointed out that such a system would be a nice social safety valve for hellhole worlds; they identify those who want to leave, draft them, and ship them off.

As for the high-tech requirements, the Imperium has no problems manning and servicing a TL15 with people mostly from <TL15 worlds. Your an ex-Navy man like me, how much high-tech knowledge did you bring to your rate and how much was taught to you on a need to know/black box basis? The USN takes hillbillies and turn 'em into SSBN missile techs, its a person's potential they're after and not what they already know.

the work where conscripts would be the safest and most useful are precisely the fields where mechanization and automation are the most effective, i.e. it's economically and socially cheaper to pick your own cotton.
Why do you hold such a negative view of conscription and conscriptees? Who did most of the fighting for us in WW2? These aren't serfs and these aren't slaves. They're draftees who will serve for a given period of time.

now in an occasional local setting, yes, it would probably show up somewhere.
Exactly. This isn't the usual state of affairs. On most worlds the Imperium recruits the bodies it needs and meets the recruitment levels it requires. It is only on those hellhole worlds that greatly conttrol the movement of their 'citizens' that the Imperium may allow the local government to recruit/draft for it.

This isn't a global or universal practice, just as Imperial recruiters moving through local societies isn't a global or universal practice. Despite what the Spreadhseetists would have us think, over 1000 years and across 11,000 worlds, the Imperium can have no global or universal practices.

Sincerely,
Larsen

In my original post I asked if you had every thought that warm bodies were part of the taxes a world owed, not all of the taxes a world owed.
</font>[/QUOTE]And my answer remains “no”, because I believe that is a form of body-shopping slavery (and if it wasn’t meant to be that in the beginning when it was originally required, it would wind up amounting to that in very little time), and while the Imperium might turn an all too blind eye to whether or not it was occurring locally (might!), it wouldn’t engage in it itself.

It’s not that I don’t believe that “providing” bodies couldn’t be a form of obligation owed to the Imperium (it was done historically, as I acknowledged in a previous post) other than Credits, it’s just that I don’t think the Imperium would accept or demand it.

It is the very nature of the "freedom of movement" that prevents oppresive governments, when they're too oppresive, everyone one the world starts signing up with Imperial Services voluntarily, and they never come back.
Freedom of movement? Score a laugh point.

Explain the charnal house world in Deneb ruled by the Ward of Vision in terms of 'freedom of movement'. Hell, explain Red Zones in terms of 'freedom of movement'. The number of hellholes in the Imperium put paid to your idea. If people could vote with their feet, such worlds wouldn't exist.
</font>[/QUOTE]This goes back to arguments I’ve made earlier both here on CotI and on the TML (back in 2003).

All through canon and non-canon fan-work, there is world after world that is, just as you say, a “hell-hole” of terrible governments and mass-mistreatment of citizenry.

I read through these, and I don’t think, “Wow, the Imperium must be a terrible place,” but rather, “Wow, all these worlds were written up in isolation from one another’s existence, just like the UWPs are created in isolation from one another.” This is a factor of inappropriate loading of world types by widely scattered authors, and does not, IMO, represent an accurate loading of nasty vs. indifferent vs. nice governments throughout the Imperium. As the mass of UWPs contain an amalgam of data that is “crazy”, so too do the massed descriptions of worlds contain a “crazily” inappropriate mis-loading of nasty world governments.

If all the worlds everywhere were really so nasty, then it wouldn’t be possible to conduct decent trade with most of them, because trade occurs across the extrality line all the time, not solely within it. Heavily oppressive regimes would have to restrict such activity so much (to prevent smuggling of both people and weapons on a mass scale), that trade would be severely restricted. The Imperium, IMO, is cognizant of this, and will turn a blind eye to requests by the government to aid against rebels fighting against that sort of nonsense. Requests by the world’s government, of any kind, might well fall on deaf ear at the Subsector and Sector Duke’s Courts (as Supplement 11 says, I paraphrase without looking up the exact quote, “That honor runs very strong in the Imperial Nobility”, and I’ll say that honorable beings will not sit totally still for that sort of nonsense by some two-bit good-for-nothing world off in the corner of the Imperium somewhere). Now, a Megacorporation might want a more oppressive government (so that the citizenry doesn’t object to it’s mass trampling of environments and ruthless exploitation of resources), but it’s a balancing act. Overall, the most lucrative and profitable employment activities a Megacorporation can engage in is having highly educated employees performing highly skilled labor (software design, high-tech engineering, starship and vehicle assembly, high-level consulting work, etc.), and you do not get a large population capable of those tasks in a heavily oppressive regime.

There is no explicit or implicit freedom of movement across extrality lines in the OTU.
But there is mention of anti-slavery in canon, and I still think body-shopping leads straight to slavery.

“Freedom of movement,” I think, may be something that keeps cropping up because of the game’s name, Traveller. And because without it as default in the majority of places, the majority of the Imperium becomes a dull, lifeless, and oppressive place none of the potential players I know would wish to visit most of the time. It winds up being like running in a Star Wars game, forever hiding in between the cracks of the Galactic Empire, only in the Imperium, the PCs would be hiding in the cracks of each individual nasty world government.

What would an insistence on freedom of movement across the port extrality line be? What would allowing an entire population a 'Get Out Of Crout Free' card be?
I’m not sure what you mean be “card” and “get out of Crout free”. The Imperium doesn’t care whether individuals have the economic resources to leave their world or not. If they don’t have that money, then they can’t buy a ticket on a starship. (The question of “freedom of movement and its canonicity, or lack thereof, is, I feel, a separate issue.)

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />The "draft" in this case is not a "conscript" system, it's a "you didn't get what you wanted and got stuck in a place you didn't desire," system. There is nothing mandatory about trying to enlist in the first place.
Well, it is mandatory if you want to create a PC. You are either enlisted; read 'recruited', or drafted; read 'drafted'!
</font>[/QUOTE]PCs are not the majority of the population. The “draft” exists so that character creation continues. CT always got a bad wrap for killing PCs during character creation, I can’t imagine what would have happened if it stopped nascent PCs from even beginning the process! Oops, you can’t enter anything. Start over . . .

I'm always struck by the way people use bits and pieces of the chargen to 'prove' certain things about their TUs; like the 'fact' that all marines don't use battledress because every marine doens't get battledress automatically, while ignoring other portions of the chargen that don't quite fit their TU.
As I mentioned, I think it’s entirely questionable to read facts into the nature of the Imperium based on chargen. I don’t think it was the original author’s intent to describe the Imperium via chargen. Chargen was there to get PCs going and adventuring, nothing more.

When it comes to illuminating the OTU [my spelling correction plus minor snippage . . .] I want the PCs to realize that they're not in Kansas anymore, and I don't want the PCs to treat the entire affair as 'Jersey City with jump drives'.
Hmm, I think the otherworldliness of the Imperium can be more successfully explained by introducing cultural “facts” on some worlds that are totally at odds with our own experience.

Like, over at www.foreven.com, in the original Lunion Campaign’s logs, the characters get to Spirelle fairly early on. There, they discover that people are allowed to enter the workforce as soon as they feel they are able, and can begin voting in the government at that age. The PCs get into an absolutely New Jersey ordinary taxicab, and there is a six-year old girl in the front seat. She’s the driver. My personal reaction to this is, “I’d never trust a six year old at the wheel, judgment and reaction speed aren’t finally developed, etc.” It’s this sort of jarring fact of “everyday” life on Spirelle that is more alien to me than any amount of the oddities of Imperial feudalism.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Larsen E. Whipsnade:
Then I call that a force majeure level of involvement. </font>[/QUOTE]RoS,

And as I explained, that orbiting battlefleet was merely shorthand for how the world entered the Imperium. It is not the 57th Century equivalent of a 1040 Form.

Strike that... It is usually not the 57th Century version of a 1040 Form. If rebellions are as common as you suggest (which I agree with BTW), then Imperial IRS battlefleets have served a few 1040 Forms via deadfall ordinance.

Sincerely,
Larsen
</font>[/QUOTE]I did not suggest a frequency for rebellions in my text so far in this topic.

My original argument (on the TML) ran like this:

When Cleon ran his conquests, it was in the just-ending Long Night era, where pirate fleets and criminal pocket empires of maybe a world or two in size were found all over the place, raping and looting their way through their neighboring worlds down through the centuries.

Advance diplomats would show up and woo over the local government officials. Spies would arrive in waves and begin inserting propaganda favorable to the Imperium. All the benefits of joining the Imperium would be trumpeted long and hard. The benefits to the ruling classes (Imeprial Nobility, secret bribes, etc.), and, I insist, there would have been benefits to the citizenry, as well. Freedom from slavery, freedom of movement, and freedom from violence (yes, you may stop choking on this non-canonical factoid) would have had to have been there.

Some worlds were happy enough to enter into the Imperium just to get protection.

However, many worlds also, I assert, would have viewed an Imperium making the demands you suggest they would have been making as little better than the pirates and criminals the worlds were already subject to.

The Imperium would have had to seize the moral high ground by offering something to the rank and file citizenry of each world, lest every single world conquered require a complete rebellion suppression. The resources necessary to conduct mass numbers of such suppressions would have been titanic, an enormous drag upon the fledgling Imperium, and is at odds with the canonical rapidity with which the Imperium is known to have expanded.

Nothing is mentioned in canon (other than anti-slavery) about this “moral high ground”. It’s something I readily admit I invent whole cloth. I simply don’t believe the Imperium could have avoided an impossibly huge number of expansion squelching rebellions by not offering a “better life” to the inhabitants. The Imperium wound up with enough problems on those worlds they did have to “force” to join, so that they couldn’t possibly afford to go around deliberately making more problems for themselves by alienating the citizenry of those worlds that voluntarily joined.

Goverments that were “nasty” and “oppressive” toward their citizens had to give it up and end those activities if they wanted to join. Those leaders that didn’t want this are usually the ones who wound up getting conquered, while Imperial spies were supplying weapons to the local populace to help overthrow the wicked local regime in favor of a better life with the Imperium (or at least, so it must have seemed to the populace of the world at that time). I readily admit the Imperium probably did conquer some worlds because their citizens wanted to keep their freedom, and those would have been yet another “forced” join world, with its own rebel/terrorist movement to expensively quash.

I won’t be going any further than that in this topic, as after that, it’s all IMTU. But as I say, I don’t believe that Imperial expansion as given under Cleon and then Artemsus would have worked without it. The Imperium simply never would have had enough resources without it.

Also I think flykiller was right by suggesting that conscript troops and functionaries would make less than ideal employees. Conscripts, especially when possessing even a modicum of education, resent their conscription. This leads to employee retaliation in the form of sabotage, theft, and corruption. The more oppresive the conscription, the worse the retaliation.

Originally posted by Randy Tyler:
IMO, both the Imperial government and world government(s) can restrict the movement of people across the extrality line of the starport.
Well, I'd say that both sides could conditionally restrict such movement. But there would have to be rules (IMO) allowing non-vagrant/non-criminal citizens on legitimate business (or pleasure travel) to move across the extrality line.

IMTU: I even state the above as law, except that the Member World Government cannot, by obfuscation or trickery, actually prevent its citizens from leaving. The Imperium doesn't prevents entry into a starport except for criminals or terrorists or vagrants.

It’s not that I don’t believe that “providing” bodies couldn’t be a form of obligation owed to the Imperium (it was done historically, as I acknowledged in a previous post) other than Credits, it’s just that I don’t think the Imperium would accept or demand it.
RoS,

Not other than credits, along with credits.

As for body shopping, prior to the military reforms on the late 1800s, the US federal government mandated that the states recruit, organize, and maintain militias that could then be federalized. Was that 'boddy shopping'?

I'm going to skip all your philosophical stuff about UWP generation and world descriptions. You can gripe about how they were created all you want. Sadly, they are also the only 'facts' we have to go on. You can't ret-con them all away.
BTW, the Ward of Vision isn't some fan-boy creation. He's in MT and TNE.

I’m not sure what you mean be “card” and “get out of Crout free”. The Imperium doesn’t care whether individuals have the economic resources to leave their world or not. If they don’t have that money, then they can’t buy a ticket on a starship.
Score another laugh point.

Your Imperium has a freedom of movement and yet doesn't not care if the people involved can actually move or not? Brilliant, we can be seen as caring without really caring at all.

I can posit a world government that supports the right of its citizenry to cross the extrality line only after the person in question pays an exit tax. Oddly enough, the tax is a flat million credits. You're free to leave as soon as you pay and whether you can pay or not isn't part of the discussion. Free on paper doesn't mean free in reality.

Put your freedom of movement ideas into practice. The Imperium allows anyone who wishes so to cross the extrality line. The planet undergoes a spasm of unrest and suddenly the starport is swamped by refugees who can't afford low passage off world. How many people can you cram into a starport? Of course, the Imperium could intervene in local matters, put down the unrest, and send the refugees back across the line. But - ooops - that's an interference in local affairs that the Imperium is pledged to avoid. We can leave aside the question of whether the Imperium will even have the forces on hand to do so.

As I mentioned, I think it’s entirely questionable to read facts into the nature of the Imperium based on chargen. I don’t think it was the original author’s intent to describe the Imperium via chargen. Chargen was there to get PCs going and adventuring, nothing more.
So where do we draw the line? When chargen supports your conclusions and nobody elses? Too much stuff is based on chargen already. What should we throw away?

... introducing cultural “facts” on some worlds that are totally at odds with our own experience.
Just what is your personal experience? Have you ever left the safe womb of Western Civilization? Ever been to the rest of the real world? And no, staying at a beach resort in Jamaica or Mexico where the locals are kept at arm's length by rolls of barbwire doesn't count.

You need to visit Mombassa, Karachi, Soweto, Chiapas, Bogota, and all the rest before you apply your own 'experience' to the trillions of Imperials on 11,000 worlds. Those places are the reality of human exsistence. You live in the happy accident and it doesn't necessarily apply.

Presuming that the Third Imperium is just nothing but the 21st Century West writ large with a few cultural quirks is just a silly as presuming that the description 'feudal' means that Imperial society consists of churls, varlots, and the entire cast of Middle Ages Europe.

For decades, the USSR maintained First World weapons systems without any of the social institutions you feel are required to do so. Also, the prerequisites you list are part of a dynamic and progressive society. Do you feel that the Third Imperium is a dynamic and progressive society overall?

Hope to read your reply soon!

Sincerely,
Larsen

Why do you assume they'd be potentially hostile?
not all would. as you say, some would not be averse to any draft, and some might actually appreciate it. but some would resent it, and that few (or many) could easily cause expenses far in excess of the value of indenturing them.
As for the high-tech requirements, the Imperium has no problems manning and servicing a TL15 with people mostly from <TL15 worlds. Your an ex-Navy man like me, how much high-tech knowledge did you bring to your rate ... ?
not much. but I was a volunteer in the service of my own nation and of a government that I voted for and of a way of life which I supported. I worked hard to do the job as best I could. if I'd been an american drafted into the UN navy I might have had a different attitude.

while on watch one day I made a mistake that resulted in the loss of control of a close confrontation between american and soviet aircraft and probably led to a mention in a presidential briefing. in my haste to correct the mistake I almost made another one that might have flooded number two main machinery room and put the ship in drydock. those were just mistakes. it's not that draftees can't use high-tech stuff, it's what they do with it when they're not on your side. and it only takes one or two to make all the sheep cost more than they're worth.

imtu rather than being a coercive taskmaster the imperium is an attractive highway. it's where the action is. think of the philipinos in the US navy, or the mexicans swarming into the US even though they despise it. join the imperium, get an education, get paid, exercise power, see the galaxy, retire with a fortune. the problem isn't the imperium forcing manpower contributions from their constituent worlds, the problem is worlds trying to keep their best people from leaving.

The Imperium would have had to seize the moral high ground by offering something to the rank and file citizenry of each world, lest every single world conquered require a complete rebellion suppression.
RoS,

I see the disconnect now. Both our views of the Imperium are diametrically opposed. It really won't accomplish anything for us to discuss things further because it's an apples and oranges kind of thing.

IMTU, the Imperium didn't make it's sales pitch to the rank and file of each world. It made it's sale pitch to the governments of each world. Governments are the real 'citizens' of the Imperium. They heard the sale pitch and they decided how and when to join.

The people only had a voice when the government in question was representative in some manner. Check out all those UWPS and see how many governments have representation of that type.

The Imperium isn't a 21st Century polity deriving its legitimacy from the consent of the governed. That's a fine sounding and extremely recent idea in human political thought. It doesn't follow that this ideal will used all the time and in all places in the future.

IMTU, the numbers of actual individual 'Imperial Citizens' is tiny.

As for rebellions, the local rulers were able to keep a thumb on things before the Imperium arrived, that's why they're the rulers. So, they'll be able to keep a thumb on things once they're part of the Imperium. The only rebellion the Imperium cares about is when the people AND their rulers rebel at the same time.

Also I think flykiller was right by suggesting that conscript troops and functionaries would make less than ideal employees. Conscripts, especially when possessing even a modicum of education, resent their conscription.
Really? Know any WW2 vets? Any Korean vets? Do you know anyone who was conscripted? Why does the Vietnam era continue to cloud everyone's thinking on conscription?

This leads to employee retaliation in the form of sabotage, theft, and corruption. The more oppresive the conscription, the worse the retaliation.
So all conscription is bad and all conscripts are resentful? Even the ones happy to leave the hellhole world they were born on?

It's all absolutes, all black and white, all binary? Right? No shades of grey? Reality need not apply?

Sincerely,
Larsen

Back