• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Has anyone used Robots?

You can build a voice recognition system on a Raspberry Pi and open source code for under $100.

Working on house rules today - I'm splitting the definition of "Robot" into "Droids" and "Bots"
Droids are by-the-book T5, TL13 at a minimum, with extensive pre-processing in the senses and the ability to handle the world much better than Bots. They're capable of being used as PCs, which the book implies, and they have enough sensory pre-processing to handle organic or positronic brains.
Bots are TL8-12 things based on what we're doing now. They're not PC-able, they're not bright at all.

Intro fiction for this section of my house rules:

Feng Shu Davidson had been a roboticist for 40 years, and in the twilight of his days he found he often preferred their company to most humans, with the questionable exception of his protege synthoid Jane. For most of those 40 years, each evening he would climb, alone, to the top of a tall hill outside the university campus, and there watch the sunset and meditate.

One evening, he invited Jane, a Droid and a Bot to come with him.

As the sun finished setting, and the calls of the night birds started, he turned to Jane and asked, “What do you think?”

She blushed, and smiled at the man she’d moved from respecting to loving decades ago, and gently cupped his old wrinkled cheek with one hand.

He turned to the Droid - “Bee Arr Five Four Nine, what do you think?”

The Droid faced him politely, a hint of a smile on its face. The eyes regarded the scholar, and multiple parallel processors split the image, doing an amount of pre-processing that would have been more than enough to run a small spacecraft before handing thousands of data elements to a positronic brain and it’s intricate pathways. The moment of hesitation before the Droid spoke was something it had learned to do, because answering too quickly made humans think it did not take the question seriously.

BR-54-9’s mellow voice responded softly , “Sir, at long last I understand why you come here each evening.Thank you for sharing it with me.”

Feng smiled and nodded before looking at the last of their company.

“Helperbot, what do you think?”

The pause this time was not the hesitance of a person thinking before answering, but a long consideration. The small light on Helpterbot’s face, next to the single lens of its camera, blinked steadily, indicating it had heard the question. The sounds from the microphone after “Helperbot” were put through an 8 parallel processor core and run through a machine learning comparison that was based on data collected 300 years ago but was still ‘good enough’. The images from the camera were split into simpler matrices of lower resolution images to ease processing, and the 32 core processor ran that through machine learning trees older than the oaks around the park bench the humans were sitting on. Finally, the monotone voice replied, “No objects recognized which apply to currently running tasks.”

Back