• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

How to handle a sticky situation in a module

In your own TU you are perfectly right. In the OTU, the definition of an Imperial warrant is that it was issued by the Emperor...

And an Imperial warrant is issued by the Emperor. The Emperor is the source of the authority.

Per the Library Data (CT) entry (see below*) nobles other than the Emperor may issue Imperial Warrants (though of lesser power/scope). Perhaps that is what you mean by "The Emperor is the source of the authority." above, as in while the other noble produces the warrant it is backed by the Emperor. I'm not sure I'd agree with that though. Or perhaps you're using other (later) sources that further define which other nobles may issue such warrants.

:alpha:

Imperial Warrant:

Instrument of power issued at the highest levels of government. A warrant is a written or electronic document provided to trusted agents of the Imperium as a method of bypassing the bureaucracy.

Typically, a warrant is provided by the Emperor to an individual who utilizes the power it provides to accomplish some mission. Missions may include establishment of colonies in areas requiring development, the assumption of military command in the midst of a crisis, and the unilateral establishment of new noble lines to administer provinces which have suffered from war or economic collapse.

It is possible for nobility other than the Emperor to issue a warrant, though the scope of the warrant is limited to the area of control of the nobility.*

See also Imperial Edict 97.

:eek:mega:

* NOTE: The above italicized line was in the Traveller Wiki entry but apparently is without supporting sources. The Wiki has been edited to more accurately reflect canon.

Last edited:
Just for clarification: Could the Emperor issue a warrant that says, for example, "Commodore Whatshername has the authority to issue Imperial warrants regarding the conscription of civilian starships in the Glisten subsector in wartime"?

I wouldn't think so. An Imperial Warrant shouldn't be able to empower the holder with the power of the issuer (the Emperor). The Imperial Warrant in this case would simply be worded to empower Commodore Whatshername to conscript civilian starships in the Glisten subsector for the duration of the war.

Per the Library Data (CT) entry (see below) nobles other than the Emperor may issue Imperial Warrants (though of lesser power/scope).:alpha:

Imperial Warrant:

Instrument of power issued at the highest levels of government. A warrant is a written or electronic document provided to trusted agents of the Imperium as a method of bypassing the bureaucracy.

Typically, a warrant is provided by the Emperor to an individual who utilizes the power it provides to accomplish some mission. Missions may include establishment of colonies in areas requiring development, the assumption of military command in the midst of a crisis, and the unilateral establishment of new noble lines to administer provinces which have suffered from war or economic collapse.

It is possible for nobility other than the Emperor to issue a warrant, though the scope of the warrant is limited to the area of control of the nobility.

See also Imperial Edict 97.

:eek:mega:
What's the source of your quote, Dan? The entry in Supplement 8: Library Data (A-M) does not include the second last line. "See also Imperial Edict 97." follows directly after "...economic collapse."

Hans

What's the source of your quote, Dan? The entry in Supplement 8: Library Data (A-M) does not include the second last line. "See also Imperial Edict 97." follows directly after "...economic collapse."

Hans

Ah, could be I have mistrusted Wiki :nonono: I usually don't, or verify first. Maybe somebody got carried away there:

http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Warrant

Claims sources of Supplement 8, Adventure 1, and GT: Nobles. I don't have GT: Nobles to check it, but I'll have a quick look at Adventure 1...

...nope. Nothing in Kinunir that looks like that. At a quick look anyway. It does expand on the Library Data a bit though...

"In some select instances, Strephon has been know to exercise his power through agents rather than directly through the bureaucracy of the Imperium. These instances are rare, although there is reason to believe that such agents are more numerous than appears."

Is it me or is that suggesting that Strepon was the first to enact the Imperial Warrant? Or simply that he appears to be using it more loosely than predecessors?

There's also a "sample" Imperial Warrant ;)

Capital

The bearer of this warrant is acting for the good of the Imperium and the Emperor. Extend him every assistance.

Strephon

Talk about carte blanche :devil:

Last edited:
Ah, could be I have mistrusted Wiki :nonono: I usually don't, or verify first. Maybe somebody got carried away there:

http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Warrant

Claims sources of Supplement 8, Adventure 1, and GT: Nobles. I don't have GT: Nobles to check it, but I'll have a quick look at Adventure 1...
By its very nature TW (Traveller wiki) tries to consolidate different sources. Sometimes it's not easy to remember what is and what isn't canon. Especially if different bits of canon don't mesh quite seamlessly. Sometimes it's easier when canon flat out contradicts itself. Then you get to chose one and stick to that ;). I've amended the entry now.

Hans

By its very nature TW (Traveller wiki) tries to consolidate different sources. Sometimes it's not easy to remember what is and what isn't canon. Especially if different bits of canon don't mesh quite seamlessly. Sometimes it's easier when canon flat out contradicts itself. Then you get to chose one and stick to that ;).

True :)

The thing is that entry meshed so well with how I remembered it. Coincidental house rulings? Or a long forgotten source? No worries ;) Off to edit my earlier quotes...

Back