• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Insurgencies in Traveller

The Tet Offensive is a good example of an unsuccessful Phase 3.

I'm sorry but I just started reading this thread and...

EXCUSE ME??? Even the Modern day Vietnamese have provided documents supporting the fact that Tet was planned as a "final strike" by a defeated guerilla insurgency. The ONLY saving grace of Tet, a documented by historians from Viet name to the US to the rest of the world, is that it convince the public of The United States of America that their army was loosing the war, that they had been lied to about having secured such urban areas as Saigon and that the war..already highly unpopular..was unwinnable.

Tet was nost assurradly NOT Phase 3 according to the generals at the time when interviewed after the fact.

As for Mao's writing... He was as much writing to his audience as the anti-Viet Nam writers you complain about in your opening comments. What he projects in his first steps are obviously the steps taken by an already motivated, mobilised and equipped cadre of insurgents. Insurgencies often start with models greatly matching the conditions in the Modern United States. Large groups of dissatisfied citizens(from reasons ranging from systemic economic failures to being taxed to pay for The French and Indian War) can cause the birth of angry movements of citizens who can then be subverted into the basis for an insurgancy. THIS is the true first step in building an insurgency(and a key step for GM's to examine when defining why the Insurgents the players are fighting/working with/selling to) exist and will/won't fight. This step was, of course, omitted by Mao because he wanted his insurgents to serve HIM..not start independant movements.

While your interest in defining insurgencies is well intended, I find the points of view exhibited in your opening statement very pointed and directive of your own political views.

I appologise to other posters in this thread who have maintained a more neutral and scholarly approach to the subject.

Marc

I'm not convinced that improvements in weaponry will overly benefit government forces. The fact is that even at TL8, government forces can pretty much pulverize insurgents, if they can find them.
A well taken lesson of the Modern Iraqi conflict to any student of military grand strategy is the effective power of such issues as collateral damage and non-combatant involvement.

Once more I appologize to those who may have commented on this already but the Modern Iraqi conflict gives a great example in spending by Militaries to develo[p better targeted weapons systems to prevent colateral damage effecting their "Hearts and Minds" campaigns.

The last few years up to and including today(read your news about protests in Syria vs the United States) are full of issues where the US and allied forces are constantly loosing hearts and minds over their inability to target just insurgent forces. This has been deftly exploited by the various insrugent and foriegn forces in the theater of combat by
using civilian populations and facilities(and even refugee camps when possible) as cover. They draw fire into civilian areas as a specific tactic to cost the Allies hearts and minds.

So while you remain convinced that weapons advances will not effect the conflict, the allied militarys are spending huge amounts of money to develop better targeting through technology. The development of a man-portable sniper rifle that can kill a target through several feet of cement is a huge advance over having to hit the building with a missile to take out an insurent sniper.

As a result, the advance of weapons tech will immensly help both the conventional forces fighting insurgents and the insurgents themselves(read being able to use tech weapons to attack form safer ranges/remain hidden/cause greater damage with more compact, concealable or man-portable weapons systems)

Speaking as a combat veteran myself, as well as a student of history, I find some of your basic conjecture very...blind to many issues a GM Must consider to create a realistic model

Marc

The easiest is to do what others have suggested and simply avoid committing large Imperial forces. More challenging, but far more interesting IMHO, would be a campaign in which the Imperium did commit major forces, yet still is in danger of losing.

One solution would be to create a planetary environment which somehow nullifies the Imperial advantages. (Dune, one of my favorite novels, did this). Somehow, the environment would have to severely interfere with both aerial and satellite reconnaisance. It would help if the environment somehow interfered with grav vehicles. Now *that* would be interesting. A TL15 army that can't use its grav vehicles would definitely be in an unfamiliar situation...

And "in OTU" example would be Dinomn.

The worker's revolt in the domed cities was a complete success. First, due to the fact that operations in crowded domed cities where buildings are all clusterd together allowed the workers to mass without recon being effective at all(moving via tunnel and from close clustered building to building and caching supplues in hidden or disused underground passages). Then when they struck, they did so overwhelmingly at the crystal production centers ignoring all the rest of the planet includnig the port!
Then they turned to in-facing corporations and The Imperium and said, "want our crystals? deal with us".

And the revolution was over in under a week Technology AND Mao's manifestos be damned

Marc

Actually, the Maoist model does *not* assume external sources of supply. Mao developed his guerilla warfare model in the 1930s during the Japanese invasion of China,

Actually, it does not because Mao..again...was writing to his audiance and wanted to strengthen his positions in his literary actions. So he predated much of his arguments and wrote out powerful suppliers both within and outside China. Both Britan and her allies were quite active in supporting their buisiness connections against the Japanese long before the US expatriots and "independant actors" began the flood from the United States.

because Mao claims it(or worse yet, Fox News...), does not make it true.

The best lies are hidden in the shadows created by halve-truths.

Marc

That's called hydraulic despotism.

If, however, the Dinomn Mining Corp really wanted to break it, simply hold the starport, and starve them out. Strikes have time limits. What they did wasn't an insurgency so much as a successful worker's strike.

Different paradigms.

This pattern has not changed since Alexander of Macedon carved out an empire. I only start with him because that is as far back as the illumination of history permits us to see.
THat is an intersting assertion given that the Athens / Persian conflict of Darius and the necessity of his successor, Xerxes(~450-48 BC) seriously predated Alexander...
also considering that athens supplied weapons and warriors to colonies of Athens which had been conqured by Persia, this would be the text book example of a Foreign power supplying a local insurgency in Miletus(finally subdued once more by the Persians befor they began their campaign against Athens proper) and proof positive we have military records of such events happening well before Alexander's Empire.

It seems to me this thread is filled with a great deal of inaccurate information, assumptions based on one-sided reviews of Viet Nam and mis-statements.

For the record, Somolia DID have a government at the time which had become ineffective due to the actions of the various warlords. So in technical terms the result WAS the after effects of an insurgency...just not an insurgancy by a single force...thus violating every part of Mao's assumptions.

It seems that a good dose of actual history could answer some questions.

Marc

As near as I can figure, modern models of insurgency could be found in Iraq today. .

Then you are forgetting about the bloodless coup vs the Prime Minister of Thailand last year perhaps...

Not all insurgencies are bloody....just the ones you folks have been focusing on.

Also there are the tamil tigets fighting their bit of insurgancy and..

Didn;t we all hear about a bunch of buddist monks being crushed by a brutal junta because they dared speak out in favor of the common people somewhere is Asia?(I'll let you all look that up)

Check your wiorld wide facts and you will note there are many modern insurrectiosn going on planet-wide. From FARC in Columbia to Our good Mrs Palin's Alaskan Independance movement vs the Government of the United States.

There are ALL insurrections in one form or another, and are all quite active.

Many of them may not fit Your(or Mao's) description of an insurgency but they are just exactly that despite the lack of interest the public show in some(the Alaskan one most specifically)

Marc

A bloodless coup isn't an insurgency; the term insurgency has connotations of armed resistance.

Alexander the Great

G'Day,

My apologies for a vague reference to Alexander of Macedon. I made mention of him only to refer to the antiquity. I was not refering to his conflict with the rulers of the Persian Empire. His conflicts with the Imperial Persians were definitiely conventional warfare. Not asymetrical warfare as has been the topic of this thread.

After the Persian Epire collapsed, he pushed through. As many would know, as far as India.
It was on the way to India that Alexander had contact with guerrillas. These in the form of Pashtun Tribes in what is now Afghanistan. That is what I was refering to.

I had not intended to confuse anyone on the list. Nor did I want to derail or decivilise what has been an enjoyable discussion up to this point.

Marc,

You seem to have many objections to what has been brought up in the thread.

In particular you seem to object to Mao's model. I agree with you that Mao had very strong agendas. I agree that he wanted to hold all of the cards himself. It is true that "no insurgency is an island" (to corrupt the words of John Donne). To include in an insurgency model outside influences would be grand. I don't think that we should throw the baby out with the bath water.

Rather than simply state criticisms and put forward historical trivia (which is what it appears to me you have done), please propose an alternative. One that would be more useful for gaming than the one Mao has put forward.

Thanks.

That's called hydraulic despotism.

If, however, the Dinomn Mining Corp really wanted to break it, simply hold the starport, and starve them out. Strikes have time limits. What they did wasn't an insurgency so much as a successful worker's strike.

Different paradigms.

The point you miss here is that the situation description stated plainly the need for a fast resultion due to the demand of dinomn crystal. So no one had the time to starve the population out. Not to mention a significant portion of DMC's executives were caught on-world and wither arrested or killed...greatly reducing their ability to take actions against the workers..

I'm sorry but I just started reading this thread and...

EXCUSE ME??? Even the Modern day Vietnamese have provided documents supporting the fact that Tet was planned as a "final strike" by a defeated guerilla insurgency. The ONLY saving grace of Tet, a documented by historians from Viet name to the US to the rest of the world, is that it convince the public of The United States of America that their army was loosing the war, that they had been lied to about having secured such urban areas as Saigon and that the war..already highly unpopular..was unwinnable.

You are excused. The Tet Offensive was a large scale uprising that nearly destroyed the Viet Cong guerillas. Only the intervention of the US press converted it into a victory of the VC. (And even so, the majority of subsequent combat operations for the next couple of years were undertaken by NVA regulars, not VC guerillas).

Are you sure you read the definition of Phase 3?

Phase 3 begins when the government can no longer control large areas of the country (and when the insurgents have built up a respectable conventional force). At this point, conventional forces attempt to seize cities, overthrow the government, and take control of the country.

Sounds like Tet 68 to me. And as noted, it was an unsuccessful Phase 3 operation.

As for Mao's writing... He was as much writing to his audience as the anti-Viet Nam writers you complain about in your opening comments.

As noted in previous posts, Mao's writings furnish a useful framework for Traveller referees to use in developing an insurgency in their campaigns. While he isn't necessarily the final word in insurgency theory, his theories have been cited approvingly by the US Army and Marine Corps. That's a good enough recommendation for me...

While your interest in defining insurgencies is well intended, I find the points of view exhibited in your opening statement very pointed and directive of your own political views.

Gosh, I so don't care. If the material is useful, use it with my blessings. If it isn't, then don't use it. If I have made specific factual or logical errors, feel free to correct them. But since facts stand on their own, complaining about my biases just wastes time.

Last edited:
So while you remain convinced that weapons advances will not effect the conflict...

You really should read my posts before misrepresenting my arguments.

My argument is merely that improvements in firepower will not significantly change the nature of insurgencies. I believe that the two technological advances in the OTU that will most impact an insurgency (against the insurgents, by the way) are:

1. Reconnaisance and information processing technologies. How are the insurgents able to pull off Phase 2/3 operations in the face of real-time enemy omniscience (satellites, RPV, sophisticated sensors, and the computing power to process that info in real time)?

2. Unlimited air mobility. In the 20th century, the helicopter (and air mobility) was the most effective weapon against insurgents. But because helicopters are relatively vulnerable, insurgents at least had some ability to combat them. This changes radically IMHO when fusion powered grav tanks arrive. Now you have heavily armored tanks that can fly faster and far longer than TL8 helicopters. How do the insurgents counter this? (I don't have this problem IMTU because there are no grav vehicles. Helicopters, tiltrotors, and VTOL jets -- fusion powered of course -- are the replacement for grav vehicles.)

...as a combat veteran myself, as well as a student of history, I find some of your basic conjecture very...blind to many issues a GM Must consider to create a realistic model
Marc

Such as?

Last edited:
You seem to have many objections to what has been brought up in the thread.

In particular you seem to object to Mao's model. I agree with you that Mao had very strong agendas. I agree that he wanted to hold all of the cards himself. It is true that "no insurgency is an island" (to corrupt the words of John Donne). To include in an insurgency model outside influences would be grand. I don't think that we should throw the baby out with the bath water.

Rather than simply state criticisms and put forward historical trivia (which is what it appears to me you have done), please propose an alternative. One that would be more useful for gaming than the one Mao has put forward.

Thanks.

Yes, I'd like that as well. As noted, I chose Mao's theories for three reasons:

1. They provide a straightforward framework that Traveller referees can use in their campaigns.

2. Mao's template can be overlaid pretty comfortably on any number of Real World insurgencies (which gives the referee examples to draw from); and

3. His theories have been approvingly cited by professionals (particularly the USMC, which even prints his seminal work On Guerilla Warfare).

If there's a better alternative, then I'd like to know what it is. Conclusory statements that I am wrong, followed by vague pronouncements and irrelevent trivia don't get us very far.

G'Day,

My apologies for a vague reference to Alexander of Macedon. I made mention of him only to refer to the antiquity.

The actual quote I was referring to from this thread was:
"This pattern has not changed since Alexander of Macedon carved out an empire. I only start with him because that is as far back as the illumination of history permits us to see."

That was hardly just a point to establish Antiquity but an attempt to place a hard limit to how far back military history had recordings of insurgencies.

While I do agree that the rise and fall of Alexander's empire was almost completly due to conventional warfare either led by Alexander or sparked by his death, my point was not "historical trivia". I pointed out the Miletus revolt against Darius/Persia after that Athenian colony had been captured and normalized into the Persian Empire. The insurgency is well known historically, as was the late entry of Athens into that insurgency as a supplier of material and agents provocature. The long running insurgent resistance, often ECONOMIC and periodically through arms only succeeded once Athens joined the campaign. The result was the Persian campaign to burn Athens to the ground from which the Spartains grew to fame outside their conflict with Athens.

That episode was very on point for any discussion of insurgencies and was provided for that and for the primary reason of redressing a constant mis-statement of facts..

This thread has mis-stated positions on Tet, Mao's Doctrines, the effects of weapons tech as a component of "hearts and minds", lack of the consideration or even recognition of insurgencies that do not fit Mao's model...

The fact is that insurgencies are not, de facto, armed struggles. An armed insurgency is just the most well noted and documented method.

Most insurgencies are grass roots organizations that grow from either local or broad popular
discontent. Some can be wide rangnig(The British Colonies in North America in the late 1700's) or some can rise suddenly based on a single issue. To show an example of the single issue best one can consider the "Rodney King affair". A broad and ongoing discontent was suddenly lit by the match of one jury's decision leading to wide protests and acts of internal terrorisim nationwide. While the local/national governments was never threatened, acts of violence were committed. The danger of a central figure making use of the passions that even exist today to organize cells and act is very real.
This...the state of affairs in the United States today...is the first step in an insurgency. Be it a broad public rising in certain areas or a small cadre of provocatures organizing cells and specifying targets. It would take surprisingly little to turn populations on each other over divided passions from racial relations to abortion to political affilliation.
These cells need not even be armed! They can spread discontent through tagging in currently violent areas causing increased gang activities which will increase violent police interventions in a municipal population already polarized over police killings...
Push that just a bit further with a stock of cans of paint and watch until one gang action gets broken up by cops with blazing guns... Then watch the city erupt! Stand back and watch as the National guard moves in and see how that effects the same campaigns in other major urban centers... Once more than thre cities broil over triggering national guard intervention...
Now you have your grass roots based Phase 1 per Mao.

But hopefully you see that Mao's "Phase 1" is only a step far beyond the beginning of activities. If you depend on his model than the forces you have to put in play for Phase 1 either "appear out of nowhere" or are supplied by a process like what I described above or by an outside organization/government. So what you see as my "problem" with Mao's model is that while you discuss it, you do not seem to see ot acknowledge the serious holes in it. This was what drove a good part of my commentary to point out that he was writing to an agenda. I hoped that they would drive you to look at Mao's model and understand that is is only a partial framework. As if somene built the piers and main cables for a suspension bridge but never really provided the ramps and roadway. I admit that message was hampered by my comments on historical and definition inaccuracy.

While it would be nice if I could come here and give you a suggested model to replace Mao's(from your point of view), I first have to show that the basis you want that model to stand on is wrong. People in North Korea firmly belive that they have if very good and the rest of teh world wants them to share!! Why? Because they see what they have been taught to.

When you say that the oldest military data we have for insurgencies is Alexanderian and clearly ignore Miletus. This tells me you either A) do not know enough history to suport the comments you have made or B) do not want to believe those items that defeate your positions or C) are supporting a framework based on a political agenda(and this is very well supported by a number of comments in this thread...especially where it related to Viet Nam)

So my responses are, in part, prescribed by your comments.
I find this thread has been VERY much consistant with positions described in the United States as Conservative Republican to the extent that presnted facts are actually bent data(at one point even presented from a news source widely recognized as "Yellow" and agenda driven themselves)

And I am a Decorated Verteran who is a registered Republican since High School graduation.

so I recommend that you all start looking harder at history before recommending Mao's writings. Sun Tzu's writings are more realistic and can lead to a much better undrstanding of unarmed insurgancies and passive corrosive actions vs authoratative regimes.

Marc

Check your wiorld wide facts and you will note there are many modern insurrectiosn going on planet-wide. From FARC in Columbia to Our good Mrs Palin's Alaskan Independance movement vs the Government of the United States.

There are ALL insurrections in one form or another, and are all quite active.

Many of them may not fit Your(or Mao's) description of an insurgency but they are just exactly that despite the lack of interest the public show in some(the Alaskan one most specifically)

Marc

Iffin the players can't kill, get killed, steal for or get stolen from by, smuggle people or stuff for, plant evidence for or against, or get another dirty job for or against, it is just a faint buzz on the news reader while they scan for their next job or cargo.

"Come, come, now; this is supposed to be a 'appy occasion. Let's no BICKER and ARGUE about 'OO killed 'OO..."

I think this thread was was started to propose a takeaway for GM's on insurgency. I think it got off to a good start, but the question (if it was a question) was and is, "What can we add to this model, or replace it with?"

I would add that Galula and Nagle each have a bit to add, for those GM's with a morbid curiosity for historical analysis and theory on counterinsurgency. Current U.S. Army doctrine draws heavily on both. Indeed, Nagl was on the team that drafted the new FM.

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Eat-Soup-Knife-Counterinsurgency/dp/0226567702

http://www.amazon.com/Counterinsurgency-Warfare-Practice-Science-Collins/dp/0275989410

THAT, however, is not a useful takeaway; it is a "go away."

For a takeaway, I wonder what can anyone add that will help the GM? (rather than add to the tangential historical debate of which I myself willingly partook...)

Iffin the players can't kill, get killed, steal for or get stolen from by, smuggle people or stuff for, plant evidence for or against, or get another dirty job for or against, it is just a faint buzz on the news reader while they scan for their next job or cargo.

Who says the players can't steal, kill or get killed??

Imagine if you will... Our intrepid band of scouts get caught in an Einsteinian math supported "time vortex" and arrive in the late 20th century Terra system!!!!

Being good and loyal and of VERY pure Vilani stock they think....WAIT!!! Save the Vilani Empire!!!

So they go through their Library data and find that a potentially perfect way to end Terra's evil assault against the pure, friendly and wonderful Vilani empire is to ignight the cold war between then USA and USSR!
So they do their scans and find a weapons cache that is less than well guarded...per your insturments and sweep in for a covert landing on yoru air/raft.

You then plan and execute a daring lightning raid on the armory taking out the foolish guards, sweeping death down on all who oppose you....

You then scoop up all the arms and lift off on yoru air/raft seeking out the well documented(at least in the 3I) Alaskian Independance movement to arm them and urge them into active insurgency!!! Right on the very borders of the USA and USSR(what is it with these Earthers and their acronyms?!?!?)

Next thing you know, your power cells fail suddenly and unexpectedly! before you know it you barely get down to the ice only to find yourselves in the midst of a Polar bear breeding ground!!!!!! Your ammo only holds out for so long and, though you die, you do cause the deaths of enough polar bears to convince the tree hugging scientists of that day of the impending extinction of polar bears due to global warming..

Your ship's orbit eventually decays and burns up on uncontrolled re-entry, spewing particals of which one impacts a spacecraft of the time called Columbia during its re-entry.

Your remains are eventually found(well, wht the polar bears could not eat or did not drag off) during a period of warfare between Imperial and Solomani forces and is chalked up to a failed covert mission by one side or the other...

and there you have it... you have killed, stolen and been killed in very exciting and historically safe fashon considering your reckless time travelling ambitions!

Marc

This thread has mis-stated positions on Tet, Mao's Doctrines, the effects of weapons tech as a component of "hearts and minds", lack of the consideration or even recognition of insurgencies that do not fit Mao's model...

Again, we have bald, conclusory assertions from you, with little supporting evidence.

The fact is that insurgencies are not, de facto, armed struggles. An armed insurgency is just the most well noted and documented method.

<yawn>

Feel free to amend all of my mentions of "insurgencies" to "armed insurgencies".

Beyond pointless grousing about terminology do you have anything, you know, useful to add to the discussion? Like, say, specific help for Traveller referees?

And I am a Decorated Verteran who is a registered Republican since High School graduation.

Funny thing...I know a number of decorated combat veterans, including several great uncles and uncles (WWII and Korea) and my best friend (Vietnam, 1967-68, including the Battle of Hue), and one of their distinguishing characteristics is that they do not generally boast of their status as decorated combat veterans to strangers in public forums. In fact, to a man, they only discuss such things with close personal friends or relatives (and even then, with only a few).

(And the Vietnam vet is the best game master I know, and he had no complaint with my summaries of Mao's theories).

I'm also skeptical of folks who claim to be Republicans while whining about someone else's purported conservative bias.

In any case, knowing how to drive a car does not necessarily equate to knowing how the car works. And as for lectures on studying history, I suppose we can compare academic credentials, test scores, etc. You first, but I'm afraid that I'll require more than bald assertions on your part to be convinced.

Last edited:
And as for lectures on studying history, I suppose we can compare academic credentials, test scores, etc. You first, but I'm afraid that I'll require more than bald assertions on your part to be convinced.

I'll go first, I graduated roughly 175th out of a class of 700+ and with respect to this COTI topic, I found the 'cliffnotes' discussion of Mao's Theory (presented earlier) more useful as a referee than all of the (later) minutia about Alexander, Darius and Antiquity combined.

Last edited:
Back