• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Kinunir frontier cruisers

If those awful TNE novels of Paul Brunette are to be believed the class was put back into production, though without the BG generators. The main weaponry (TNE refit) had replaced the PA turrets which are too small to work in TNE with 700Mj lasers. These are not to be sneezed at with a rating of 1/21-66 at all ranges. Tied to a TL15 MFD they get a -6 Diff Mod.

For those who have not seen the stats for this ship I have them at
http://www.skaran.net/banners/equipment/Craft/Imperial/kinunir.html

The vessel does appear to have sufficient capacity for a BG generator to be put back and weapons increased with power coming from the CG lifters which would not be used in space.

Now for a longer answer.

In Adventure 1 it mentions:
While most of these vessels remain in service in the Spinward Marches, some few have been lost, disposed of, or otherwise taken from service.
Lost:
Kinunir, 1088
Allamu, 1084
Ninkur Sagga, 1084

paid off:
Gaesh, 1098 (converted to a prison)

transferred to Vega:
Shuruppak - renamed Regal Splendor, 1092

scrapped:
Adda Dubsar, 1089

Traveller trivia - just in case you don't know - the Old timer from the DGP Starship operator's manual served on the Allamu and has a part in the rumours section of the Kinunir adventure..

And now for the names of the fifteen ships that remain in service:

Shulgi
Zaggisi
Shulgiili
Enki Kalamma
Markashi
Apishal
Mukhaldim
Kagukhasaggan
Kharkar
Agidda
Luuru
Ukushki Sar
Ishmeilum
Urshu
Adamdun

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Traveller trivia - just in case you don't know - the Old timer from the DGP Starship operator's manual served on the Allamu and has a part in the rumours section of the Kinunir adventure..
<Self Promotion>

Yeah, I was actually the guy who wrote the letter into Traveller's Digest/MT Journal asking about that.

</Self Promotion>

Originally posted by robject:
Remember the Allamu!!
Ok. if you insist ;)

Allamu: Kinunir-class battle cruiser (BC-9516)
The Allamu was caught in the van at the Battle of Two Suns, 1084, and withstood over four hours of steady attack before suffering screen failure.
Lost with all hands.
On 117-1085, the Emperor Strephon personally memorialised the name Allamu, which will henceforth be assigned to dreadnought-class ships and above.
To date, no ship bearing the name has been constructed.

The Kinunir herself may have been returned to service following being found in the Shionthy system. It is never mentioned again after Adventure 1. But I cannot see any authorities allowing the vessel to remain in the hands of private individuals with a functioning BG and some very sensitive systems on board.

IMTU The AHL class vessel Cause Rampant was refitted with the same model computer and limited AI as the Kinunirs which may have contributed to the cruisers loss on its final mission.

Originally posted by Antony:
The Kinunir herself may have been returned to service following being found in the Shionthy system. It is never mentioned again after Adventure 1...
You know that huge wharehouse in the closing scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark? The Imperium (in MTU) has a whole star system like that

Originally posted by Jim Fetters:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
<Self Promotion>

Yeah, I was actually the guy who wrote the letter into Traveller's Digest/MT Journal asking about that.

</Self Promotion>
</font>[/QUOTE]Cool, I missed reading that but did wonder. Now I know, thanks. :D

None that I know of I'm afraid :(

We do know that there are four of this class patrolling the Regina subsector; the Luru, Adamdun, and the Agidda, plus one other.

As to what the rest are doing...

Originally posted by Antony:
The Kinunir herself may have been returned to service following being found in the Shionthy system. It is never mentioned again after Adventure 1. But I cannot see any authorities allowing the vessel to remain in the hands of private individuals with a functioning BG and some very sensitive systems on board.
The only other place it is mentioned in the OTU is in the TNE Regency Sourcebook, p.39:

Kinunir remains in her resting place as an historic site and war grave. Tampering with war graves is a high justice crime.

I never bought the Kinunir war grave explanation. People were killed in ww2 on ships that were re-surfaced in pearl, refitted and sent back out. A War grave in space would be a navigation & security issue. If they just left it she would've been hit by pirates for booty, etc... Of course by the TNE timeline there would be plenty of hulks.

Savage

Also considering it wasn't placed in its current state as a result of war.

I think it is mentioned as such in RSB to act as a potential adventure nugget - Shionthy is still a restricted system in 1202, which strongly suggests there is something there that they want to protect.

There is also the angle of the Kinunir fiasco foreshadowing the Collapse, so it can be taken at face value in that way, if you like.

Back