• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Kinunir frontier cruisers

Well....perhaps we rimrunners see a few more threats than those that actually exist, but it doesn't hurt to stay alert :cool: . The Kinunirs served no real tactical purpose in a real combat situation, they're mostly riot control overkill, but Sigg Oddra could well be onto somethingl, I've got to dig out my old New Era stuff now. :confused:

Ah well, Happy New Year everyone!

Pappy

Sigg Oddra wrote:

"According to Survival Margin the new SDG transponder chip was in final Naval testing (ship based?) in 1086. Two years later they become a legal requirement. In this same year, 1088, the Kinunir goes missing
file_23.gif
."

Mr. Oddra,

That, sir, is pure EVIL! I love it!

"Perhaps it had been fitted with the prototype SDG test chip and combined with the experimental AI computer..."

... and - WHAMMO - we get a predecessor to Virus. Something that is akin to Virus as Homo Habilis is akin to us.

"Must stop watching conspiracy theories on Discovery ;) "

Please don't! Where else will you get the spark for all these nifty bits of yours? ;)

Sincerely,
Larsen

vegascat asked:

"Weren't the Kinunir's all manufactured in the Spinward Marches? Why were they made so far from the Solomani homeground if they were meant for terror weapons against them?"

Mr. Cat,

It is believed that most were built in the Marches, but the truth is we really don't know. There are several building yards listed in A:1 and we can only infer the locations of a few.

General Shipyards - Presumably the corporation with yards on Regina, Efate, and Pixie. The same yard that the PCs are asked to sneak into, find the scrapped kinunir-class hull, and measure the fuel tanks and black globe mountings. General built Kinunir, Ninkur Sagga, Gaesh, and Adda Dubsar. Its assumed that the last is the scrapped hull on Regina.

Yard 17 - Is presumably somewhere near the Solomani Rim as it built the vessel Regal Splendor (the ex-Shuruppak) that Empress Iolanthe gave to the Vegans. Yard 17 also built Enki Kalamma, Markashi, Agidda, Luuru, and Ukushki Sar making this yard the biggest supplier of Kinunir-class vessels in the Imperium. Yard 17 also had another three hulls scheduled for construction when any further Kinunir-class production was discontinued.

Mars - A yard that built two of the class; Zaggisi and Mukhaldim. Some folks assume 'Mars' is actually Mars/Sol. I'm ambivalent about that; it could be or it could not. It really doesn't make any difference because the one known example of a Kinunir-class vessel on the Solomani Rim was built at Yard 17.

The megacorps Ling Standard and GSB, AG built five of the vessels between them. A yard called Clan Severn built four vessels.

"I believe they were terror weapons aimed at the Sword Worlders, Darrians, and Zhodani, not the Solomani."

My theory has been hashed out on this thread; the Kinunir-class was purposely designed as an operational testbed for the first wholly-Imperial manufactured blackglobes. After the testing regime was finished, the class continued to be used in a variety of other roles. Its testbed origins makes it suited for other test programs like the SDG transponders. It's small size and poor weapons load will keep it out of any battleline but it does make for a very nasty patroller. The black globe and healthy; for its size, marine contingent also make it useful as a special ops platform.

I figure the class was built in the Marches and on the Rim because those are the two border regions where the Imperium faces active enemies. Testing home-built black globes there would allow the naval staff in each region to become familiar with the technology. It would also allow the same staffs to begin examining how to best utilize globes against the Zhodani and/or Solomani.

Naturally, YMMV. Many other, equally valid theories for the Kinunirs' existence were presented in this thread.

Sincerely,
Larsen

Exactly Mr. Larsen, the Marches and the Rim are the two places the Empire quite often has to shake a velvet gloved fist at the unruly natives, Sword Worlders, Solomani etc.-- a terror ship. I think you're right, but the virus idea IS intriguing, don't you think? :eek:

A honest rimrunner ain't got a chance, right Trader Jim? :mad:

Probably makes a fine corsair hunter, too. ;)

Pappy

thrash wrote:

"Looking at the list of Azhanti High Lightning-class hulls, Yard 17 built five; one (Bard Endeavor, 6333) was lost at the Battle of Kagukhasaggen 2 (near Terra) in 1002."

Mr. Thrash,

Well, that settles it! Yard 17 is somewhere in or near the Rim. Could anyone with the old CT Solomani Rim supplement thumb through it and see if Yard 17 is mentioned? I known Yard 17 isn't mentioned in GT:RoF.

"Ling Standard produced five of their own, one of which (Children of the March, 6355) was definitely built within the Spinward Marches; another (ex-Vengeance, 6322) was transferred to the Darrians in 1012."

Very nice indeed.

"The story of Children of the March suggests that of these only Ling Standard is actually located in the Spinward Marches, but it's not conclusive."

True. Ling Standard Products may be better known as LSP, an Imperial megcorporation. I believe we can be safe in assuming LSP has major yards in every Imperial sector.

"Clan Severn also built five."

Curiouser and curiouser. Obviously a major IN ship supplier but no other mentions in canon. Any clues in the AHL-class vessel lists that might point to Clan Severn's location? IIRC, the AHL books do have limited TROMs for a few of the cruisers. We also know where Arrival Vengence was mothballed.

Sincerely,
Larsen

Could Yard 17 be the designation for just one of the construction facilities in a Depot system.
If so, that would put Yard 17 in the Depot system of the Vegan subsector.
That would be quite handy, would it not?

And Happy New Year.

There's no mention of Yard 17 in the "The Solomani Rim", I like the idea of it being in Depot system--says its devoted to an Imperial naval depot and its population is entirely naval personnel. In peacetime its devoted to research. deve;p[s amd tests new prototypes for ships there. (Isn't it Hangar 17 that hides the Roswell crash saucer?) :eek: :cool:

Pappy

My question is how the AHL ships produced at the Gashidda yards (No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3) were able to be built if they were in fact built at Gashidda/Dingir/Solomani Rim before the Imperials had retaken that planet during the Rim war?

Unlesss the Gashidda yards are located somewhere else.

I may be getting senile, and everything is boxed up prior to moving so I can;t check, but as I recall, One of the later GDW/DGP products, "spinward campaign" etc. gives the location of Yard 17.

I used to talk to a guy from Roswell about twice a week and he always treated the saucer story as if it were just accepted fact. I knew the hangar holding it was around upper teens tho, thanks. ;)

Don't have a copy of the "Spinward Campaign"--need one.

Pappy

I can find the reference to LSP shipyards( Strouden and Lunion) in the Spinward Marches Campaign but I can't find Yard 17 mentioned yet.

It wasn't in a TAS news item or the like was it?

I don't remember, and until we sell this house and get moved everything stays boxed up. I seem to recall it was in a Subsector/world write up, You know USP, Trade classification, etc. It will come to me sometime.

Sigg Oddra writes:
I can find the reference to LSP shipyards( Strouden and Lunion) in the Spinward Marches Campaign but I can't find Yard 17 mentioned yet.

It wasn't in a TAS news item or the like was it?
I can't remember the reference, but I think it said somewhere that Yard 17 was at Mora. Or maybe Capital. Damn these neurons! My brain is all messed up now. :eek: :mad:
toast.gif

Can't remember the details either, but I'm pretty sure Yard 17 is located in the Marches.

(Isnt'it wonderful, how we are writing about all subjects as if they really existed ? Talk about "suspension of disbelief"..)

Grand Master Whipsnade writes:
"Clan Severn also built five."

Curiouser and curiouser. Obviously a major IN ship supplier but no other mentions in canon. Any clues in the AHL-class vessel lists that might point to Clan Severn's location? IIRC, the AHL books do have limited TROMs for a few of the cruisers. We also know where Arrival Vengence was mothballed.
Looked this up on the web:

Clan Severn

A Rhylanor based shipbuilder, with associated facilities on Jae Tellona and Margesi. The Rhylanor yard concentrates on filling Naval contracts, while civil and merchant operations are dealt with on Margesi. The Jae Tellona facilities engages primarily in maintenance and overhauls, but is also capable of constructing some of the simpler components for the other yards.

Note: I don't know whether this is canon or whether its this persons IMTU, but it does have a air of credibility. I've seen the same write up over at Peter Keels site.

Lets see:

LSP at Lunion and Strouden
[Spinward Marches Campaign, among others]

Clan Severn at Rhylanor, Margesi, Jae Tellona
(web library entry, canon?)

General Yards at Regina, Efate, Pixie
[Adventure 1]
Note: None of these yards are TL15. So either General has shipyards elsewhere, or the Kinunirs were built there with exported equipment.

*Bilstein Yards at Glisten
[Adventure 4] *not a Kinunir builder

Yard 17 (Mora?)

GsBag (?)

Mars (? For some reason, I suspect this is in the Marches also)

I wonder if there was any mention of these in the TNE Regency source book. That one I don't have. I'll go check the Rice Papers and see what I can dig up...

Originally posted by plop101:
Paging Imperial Librarian!

I bet Rancke will know where these shipyards are at.
'fraid not. The information that others have posted here seems to cover it. I do have a sneaking feeling that the information about Clan Severn is uncanonical, but I won't swear to it.

Hans

Something else to ponder, Charles E Gannon's Astrogators guide to the Diaspora Sector, talks of General Products LIC having a ship building subsiduary called "Takakusi Ways Incorporated"
on Nike(1614) Khusga/Diaspora. Also mentioned are shipbuilders on Talca(1407) Libert/Diaspora. These are apparently also subsiduaries but of Ling Standard Products and Sternmetal Horizons.
In the LBB style JTAS No7 Loren Wiseman (one assumes this is the later referred to Loren K Wiseman)has the cover article "Champa Interstella Starport" which boasts, among other things, a small craft manufacturing facility owned by LSP. Now I wouldn't call the Kinunir a small craft as such.. ;) But LSP is definately in the Rim according to this. I also wouldn't call "the K"
a capital ship either, in any version or setting of Traveller, my own preferred TNE included.
Whilst a "K" may threaten some circa 1200 Pocket empire vessells, it still has its faults; Hull armor:42 ECM/ECCM:None Target Size: M , no sandcasters, no black globe only 8 weapon emplacements on 1250td... need I go on?

Back