• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Merchants Run

Next thing that changes from edition to edition is the computer table:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Model MCr Tons Capacity TL
1 2 1 2/4 5
1bis 4 1 4/0 6
2 9 2 3/6 7
2bis 18 2 6/0 8
3 18 3 5/9 9
4 30 4 8/15 A
5 45 5 12/25 B
6 55 7 15/35 C
7 80 9 20/50 D</pre>[/QUOTE]

Next thing that changes from edition to edition is the computer table:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Model MCr Tons Capacity TL
1 2 1 2/4 5
1bis 4 1 4/0 6
2 9 2 3/6 7
2bis 18 2 6/0 8
3 18 3 5/9 9
4 30 4 8/15 A
5 45 5 12/25 B
6 55 7 15/35 C
7 80 9 20/50 D</pre>[/QUOTE]

Nota also that in second edition the standard hulls don't take as long to build:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Tons Time
100 9
200 11
400 14
600 22
800 25
1000 27</pre>[/QUOTE]Also note that the 600t hull has an 85t drive section in revised edition.

Nota also that in second edition the standard hulls don't take as long to build:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Tons Time
100 9
200 11
400 14
600 22
800 25
1000 27</pre>[/QUOTE]Also note that the 600t hull has an 85t drive section in revised edition.

The software changes a little bit too.

First off the free software package changes from a flat MCr2 to a number of MCr equal to the computer model number (rounding bis models down).

Some of the Computer Software List changes:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Program Name Space Price
double fire 4 4
jump 1 1 0.1
jump 2 2 0.3
jump 3 3 0.4
jump 4 4 0.5
jump 5 5 0.6
jump 6 6 0.7
generate 1 0.8</pre>[/QUOTE]

The software changes a little bit too.

First off the free software package changes from a flat MCr2 to a number of MCr equal to the computer model number (rounding bis models down).

Some of the Computer Software List changes:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Program Name Space Price
double fire 4 4
jump 1 1 0.1
jump 2 2 0.3
jump 3 3 0.4
jump 4 4 0.5
jump 5 5 0.6
jump 6 6 0.7
generate 1 0.8</pre>[/QUOTE]

A couple of ship building rules changes for second edition:

power plant rating number has to be equal in size to either the jump drive or the maneuver drive, whichever is the larger of the two

the bridge for ships larger than 1000t is calculated at 2% of hull tonnage

computer model number must be equal to or greater than the biggest jump number the ship is capable of.

A couple of ship building rules changes for second edition:

power plant rating number has to be equal in size to either the jump drive or the maneuver drive, whichever is the larger of the two

the bridge for ships larger than 1000t is calculated at 2% of hull tonnage

computer model number must be equal to or greater than the biggest jump number the ship is capable of.

One question that strikes me is what skill levels we can assume. Now it looks like LBB2 doesn't make use of steward, streetwise, etc in finding passengers or cargos, but somebody mentioned that speculative trade does rely heavily on broker, trader and bribery.

It will probably make a big difference in the type of ship I would build as to what skill levls I can assume from the crew.

Also, can we double bunk crew members? Any job roles that we can't double up in one crew member?

Chris

One question that strikes me is what skill levels we can assume. Now it looks like LBB2 doesn't make use of steward, streetwise, etc in finding passengers or cargos, but somebody mentioned that speculative trade does rely heavily on broker, trader and bribery.

It will probably make a big difference in the type of ship I would build as to what skill levls I can assume from the crew.

Also, can we double bunk crew members? Any job roles that we can't double up in one crew member?

Chris

Here's my initial loss estimates for unspeculative cargo. My calculated averages are exactly Book 7 (with the exception of low passengers), but the ship design is not exact.

(by the way, I haven't added the low passage logic in, which would help, but not enough)

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Ship: Type A2 (J2M1)
Volume: 200
High: 5
Mid: 0
Low: 4
Cargo: 62

Route analysis - Expected averages

Source Market hp mp lp 10 5 1 spare KCr

Dekalb Entrope 0 4 0 5 1 0 4 94
Entrope Dekalb 5 0 0 6 0 2 0 110

Route length: 2 Jumps, 1 months
Total Passengers:
High 5.5
Med 4
Low 0
Total Cargo:
Maj 11.25
Min 1
Inc 2

Total Gross: KCr 204.5
Per month: KCr 204
Op expenses: KCr 358

Gain/Loss per month: KCr -154</pre>[/QUOTE]

Here's my initial loss estimates for unspeculative cargo. My calculated averages are exactly Book 7 (with the exception of low passengers), but the ship design is not exact.

(by the way, I haven't added the low passage logic in, which would help, but not enough)

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Ship: Type A2 (J2M1)
Volume: 200
High: 5
Mid: 0
Low: 4
Cargo: 62

Route analysis - Expected averages

Source Market hp mp lp 10 5 1 spare KCr

Dekalb Entrope 0 4 0 5 1 0 4 94
Entrope Dekalb 5 0 0 6 0 2 0 110

Route length: 2 Jumps, 1 months
Total Passengers:
High 5.5
Med 4
Low 0
Total Cargo:
Maj 11.25
Min 1
Inc 2

Total Gross: KCr 204.5
Per month: KCr 204
Op expenses: KCr 358

Gain/Loss per month: KCr -154</pre>[/QUOTE]

Hi all, I'm back for a couple weeks, just a quick check in now and some fast answers, more in the next couple days.

Hi all, I'm back for a couple weeks, just a quick check in now and some fast answers, more in the next couple days.

Originally posted by Andy Fralix:
Thanks, It did. That is the way I have always done it. How ever it looks like I may not be able to take part as I just took a second job.
Well Real Life (tm) always comes first but I hope if you can find time I can make it interesting and fun for all.

Another thought:
High passage requires 5 dtn per passenger when you figure in the baggage space. It pays 8000 Cr after expenses. Net income 1600 Cr per dtn.
Med passage requires 4.1 dtn per passenger. It pays 6000 Cr. Net income 1463.5 Cr. per dtn.
Difference is 136.5 Cr. Times 8 Hi passengers per steward. Equals 1092 Cr times 2 jumps per month equals 2184 Cr income steward brings in for a ship. Steward 0 pay is 3000 per month. Looks like High passengers loose you money compared to medium passengers.
Hmm, you're right of course, and I recall we ignored passenger baggage when we played, for that reason. The rules seem to stronly imply that High Passage should be a better revenue source than Middle Passage and that is not the case if they have a ton of baggage in addition to the Steward cost.

In MTU I also always flipped the Medic and Steward salaries and required a level of Steward skill (no zero level). It just seemed wrong the way it was.

However for this exercise I think we'll stick with the book for the salaries and only up the skill requirements so it's a minimum of 1 across the board (more on that to follow).

The best solution to the value problem would seem to be to ignore the baggage allowances and simply put it all down as carry on and stateroom stowed. The difference between High and Middle being the attention of the Steward(s). High passengers have meals prepared, staterooms cleaned, laundry done, baggage carried, and have free access to the ship commons, etc. etc... Middle passengers have to cook for themselves, clean the stateroom themselves, do their own laundry, tote their own baggage, and are restricted to their use of the ship commons, etc. etc...

Sound good to everybody?

Thanks, It did. That is the way I have always done it. How ever it looks like I may not be able to take part as I just took a second job.
Well Real Life (tm) always comes first but I hope if you can find time I can make it interesting and fun for all.

Another thought:
High passage requires 5 dtn per passenger when you figure in the baggage space. It pays 8000 Cr after expenses. Net income 1600 Cr per dtn.
Med passage requires 4.1 dtn per passenger. It pays 6000 Cr. Net income 1463.5 Cr. per dtn.
Difference is 136.5 Cr. Times 8 Hi passengers per steward. Equals 1092 Cr times 2 jumps per month equals 2184 Cr income steward brings in for a ship. Steward 0 pay is 3000 per month. Looks like High passengers loose you money compared to medium passengers.
Hmm, you're right of course, and I recall we ignored passenger baggage when we played, for that reason. The rules seem to stronly imply that High Passage should be a better revenue source than Middle Passage and that is not the case if they have a ton of baggage in addition to the Steward cost.

In MTU I also always flipped the Medic and Steward salaries and required a level of Steward skill (no zero level). It just seemed wrong the way it was.

However for this exercise I think we'll stick with the book for the salaries and only up the skill requirements so it's a minimum of 1 across the board (more on that to follow).

The best solution to the value problem would seem to be to ignore the baggage allowances and simply put it all down as carry on and stateroom stowed. The difference between High and Middle being the attention of the Steward(s). High passengers have meals prepared, staterooms cleaned, laundry done, baggage carried, and have free access to the ship commons, etc. etc... Middle passengers have to cook for themselves, clean the stateroom themselves, do their own laundry, tote their own baggage, and are restricted to their use of the ship commons, etc. etc...

Sound good to everybody?

Originally posted by Zakrol:

Chris
Last questions first since they are the easy ones.

You may not double bunk crew members on commercial ships, and as these are commercial ships that means each crew member gets their own stateroom. Check pg. 14 heading B. Staterooms.

In my opinion there are no jobs that can't be doubled up, though I've been called as violating the spirit of the rule by doubling up a single Engineer to fill the requirement of two
file_22.gif
Spirit smearit I say ;)

However, and this leads into the first part of the questions, I worked up some guidelines for crew skill levels that seem reasonable to me. I'll post them up shortly in the first post on page 1 for ease of finding.

Originally posted by Zakrol:

Chris
Last questions first since they are the easy ones.

You may not double bunk crew members on commercial ships, and as these are commercial ships that means each crew member gets their own stateroom. Check pg. 14 heading B. Staterooms.

In my opinion there are no jobs that can't be doubled up, though I've been called as violating the spirit of the rule by doubling up a single Engineer to fill the requirement of two
file_22.gif
Spirit smearit I say ;)

However, and this leads into the first part of the questions, I worked up some guidelines for crew skill levels that seem reasonable to me. I'll post them up shortly in the first post on page 1 for ease of finding.

Originally posted by robject:
Here's my initial loss estimates for unspeculative cargo.
:( "loss estimates" sounds bad...

I think you may need to go for more volume, though the idea of cutting the baggage hold from the designs may help a little.

I also need to figure out for myself what kind of loss estimate might be acceptable in light of probably counting speculation as a boost to the bottom line. I'll be posting an example soon that should help me get a feel for that and give you all a format for your own submissions.

In the mean time there's nothing wrong with posting designs here or commenting on them, but please hold your final design and prospectus until closer to the deadline and give me to the end of the week to make the final rules clear.

Phase 1 of the contest officially kicks off May 7th (as in the rules will be final at that time) and the entry deadline for the design and prospectus will be anytime between the 21st and 28th. That will give me a couple days to go over the entries and prepare for Phase 2 to kick it off on (tenatively) June 1. I hope that time schedule works for all, if not post here and a reasonable extension can be considered.

Phase 2 (subject to participation and not a requirement for Phase 1 participation) will consist of play by email turns. Each turn will cover a single trip. Daily (or so) you will receive an email of the situation upon arrival in system and a list of the decisions to be sent in reply. Then there will be a follow up email to that with the resolution and current status. I hope to conduct 1 game year of trading in a real calendar month this way doing about a trip a day so prompt replies will be important. Don’t worry about missing a day now and then or a weekend though, if it goes a little longer so be it. More on this shortly in the first post.

Originally posted by robject:
Here's my initial loss estimates for unspeculative cargo.
:( "loss estimates" sounds bad...

I think you may need to go for more volume, though the idea of cutting the baggage hold from the designs may help a little.

I also need to figure out for myself what kind of loss estimate might be acceptable in light of probably counting speculation as a boost to the bottom line. I'll be posting an example soon that should help me get a feel for that and give you all a format for your own submissions.

In the mean time there's nothing wrong with posting designs here or commenting on them, but please hold your final design and prospectus until closer to the deadline and give me to the end of the week to make the final rules clear.

Phase 1 of the contest officially kicks off May 7th (as in the rules will be final at that time) and the entry deadline for the design and prospectus will be anytime between the 21st and 28th. That will give me a couple days to go over the entries and prepare for Phase 2 to kick it off on (tenatively) June 1. I hope that time schedule works for all, if not post here and a reasonable extension can be considered.

Phase 2 (subject to participation and not a requirement for Phase 1 participation) will consist of play by email turns. Each turn will cover a single trip. Daily (or so) you will receive an email of the situation upon arrival in system and a list of the decisions to be sent in reply. Then there will be a follow up email to that with the resolution and current status. I hope to conduct 1 game year of trading in a real calendar month this way doing about a trip a day so prompt replies will be important. Don’t worry about missing a day now and then or a weekend though, if it goes a little longer so be it. More on this shortly in the first post.

Back