• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Musings on the humble ACR

Timerover,

There are some smokeless powder replacements for black powder. Notably found in the muzzleloading community with those darned pellet powder guns.

Yes, there would be issues with TL incompatabilities, but if the product meets all the specifications, well, can't hurt to try, can it?

As to the Martini, well, it seems more TL3+, wouldn't quite put it at TL4-, so well, I used a bad example for a TL13 gun, but I do know someone who shoots one, and a Springfield Trapdoor. Cartridges are out there, and some reloading equipment. Using modern black powder (which some varieties burn cleaner with lots less waste (smoke) and fouling than traditional black powder) he even goes hunting with his Martini. For reenactment events, he likes regular smoky black powder, by the way.

Crazy things chemistry can do.

That's why I did the TL4-TL15 spread. If we extrapolate the future from today, there will be some dudes out from a TL15 there who are doing reenacting of the Vilani version of the Anglo-Zulu wars, or maybe the Crimean campaign, and using Vilani versions of the Martini built in their modern times that meet the specifications of the ancient Vilani Martini.

Undoubtedly there are some TL14 Solomani out there doing the Crimean reenactment thing. Maybe with an original Martini or two. I've seen stranger things (English Civil War reenactors using actual English Civil War artifacts during their fun games (and that's a 400-500 year gap between ECW and the reenactors.))

But, yeah, maybe I went too low in my TL example. Maybe TL5?

Actually they aren't actually smokeless. They are just substitutes for The Holy Black, There are Pyrodex, Triple 7, Trailboss (which is formulated for BP Cartridge guns). Generally only Pyrodex is found in pellet form. I shoot BP guns a lot which is how I know.

Timerover,

There are some smokeless powder replacements for black powder. Notably found in the muzzleloading community with those darned pellet powder guns.

Yes, there would be issues with TL incompatabilities, but if the product meets all the specifications, well, can't hurt to try, can it?

As to the Martini, well, it seems more TL3+, wouldn't quite put it at TL4-, so well, I used a bad example for a TL13 gun, but I do know someone who shoots one, and a Springfield Trapdoor. Cartridges are out there, and some reloading equipment. Using modern black powder (which some varieties burn cleaner with lots less waste (smoke) and fouling than traditional black powder) he even goes hunting with his Martini. For reenactment events, he likes regular smoky black powder, by the way.

Crazy things chemistry can do.

That's why I did the TL4-TL15 spread. If we extrapolate the future from today, there will be some dudes out from a TL15 there who are doing reenacting of the Vilani version of the Anglo-Zulu wars, or maybe the Crimean campaign, and using Vilani versions of the Martini built in their modern times that meet the specifications of the ancient Vilani Martini.

Undoubtedly there are some TL14 Solomani out there doing the Crimean reenactment thing. Maybe with an original Martini or two. I've seen stranger things (English Civil War reenactors using actual English Civil War artifacts during their fun games (and that's a 400-500 year gap between ECW and the reenactors.))

But, yeah, maybe I went too low in my TL example. Maybe TL5?

I shoot blackpowder muzzleloaders as well, and I have used Pyrodex, which loads by bulk equivalent to black powder. I was mainly thinking of nitro powder loadings for the Martini. I would not mind having a replica trap-door Springfield in .45-70, but the trap door action is not the strongest in the world. If I want a strong action for the .45-70, I will get a Ruger single-shot. That you can reload up quite a bit.

God, I love a place where you can talk star ship interiors and the merits of firearms at the same time.

The guy who fires a Trap Door uses reduced loads. But he loves his Martini. I swear he'd marry it if he could. Too bad no one makes a reproduction version.

Oh, well, can't wait till TL10 where that additive machine in the corner can make me one. :rolleyes:

I am not sure at all about trying to use Tech Level 4 ammunition in a Tech Level 13 ACR, because any weapon of that nature that is gas-operated requires a certain amount of gas pressure to operate the mechanism. Tech Level 4 is the cross-over between black powder and nitro-based powders, while Tech Level 13 might be using a specifically design powder for maximum output with minimum volume.

Why would a TL13 ACR be designed to take TL4 cartridges?

I shoot blackpowder muzzleloaders as well, and I have used Pyrodex, which loads by bulk equivalent to black powder. I was mainly thinking of nitro powder loadings for the Martini. I would not mind having a replica trap-door Springfield in .45-70, but the trap door action is not the strongest in the world. If I want a strong action for the .45-70, I will get a Ruger single-shot. That you can reload up quite a bit.

Having fired a .45-70 Colt Lever Action (modern) ... WTBleep does one need to fire one for? It's a shoulder dislocation device masquerading as a rifle. Especially in actions that don't move...

Well, it is scary intimidating for home defense, but AUGH!!! Braced, in a proper shooting jacket, with a cushioned butt-pad... the bruise from 5 shots ran a hands-width below the seated position. And that was with commercial rounds.

A friend shot it, with it seated wrong, and dislocated his shoulder. The weapon's owner fired 10 rounds, developed a bruise from the shoulder to the beltline... and sold it a week later.

I wouldn't fire a .45-70 again unless it had a recoil-driven action (Semi-auto)

Why would a TL13 ACR be designed to take TL4 cartridges?

Why would modern .357 be able to chamber 1880's .38 S&W? because backwards compatibility means ammo is cheaper.

Especially if looking at an imperium which has widely varying local tech. If that TL4 world can manufacture ammo to spec... perhaps it's easier to let them pay taxes in ammo...

Why would modern .357 be able to chamber 1880's .38 S&W? because backwards compatibility means ammo is cheaper.

Especially if looking at an imperium which has widely varying local tech. If that TL4 world can manufacture ammo to spec... perhaps it's easier to let them pay taxes in ammo...

Actually a .357 can't chamber a .38 S&W. The .38 S&W is actually larger diameter than the .357. I reload for both which is how I know.

God, I love a place where you can talk star ship interiors and the merits of firearms at the same time.

The guy who fires a Trap Door uses reduced loads. But he loves his Martini. I swear he'd marry it if he could. Too bad no one makes a reproduction version.

Oh, well, can't wait till TL10 where that additive machine in the corner can make me one. :rolleyes:

I imagine that a good gunsmith could turn out a replica Martini, but it might be expensive. The Martini action is very strong, and with modern materials should be able to handle quite a bit.

As for the .45-70, I am not sure why Aramis and his friends had such problems. With a 400 grain bullet at 1300 feet per second, it is on par with a 12 gauge shotgun. Just a bit more accurate at longer ranges.

Hunting Big Game. It is common amongst Bear Hunters.

Yea this struck me as funny.

"Don't you live in Alaska, aramis?"

Most modern versions I see are the lever action, carbine sized, big looped hand cannon with compensators called "Guide Guns".

From a hickok45 youtube video "405 grain with a stiff load, that ought a take out a 2-liter".

Well, some .45-70s that I have seen have a narrow butt-plate (and pity the fool that has a steel plate on one.) so the round can be punishing.

It is not a cartridge for the t-shirt wearing crowd to play with.

And, Aramis, when you absolutely, positively, need that Grizzly or charging Bull Moose dead right there right now, well, that's a perfect answer for why .45-70.

Or, in the Traveller world, when you absolutely want to bag yourself a scout ship.:eek:

Well, some .45-70s that I have seen have a narrow butt-plate (and pity the fool that has a steel plate on one.) so the round can be punishing.

And, Aramis, when you absolutely, positively, need that Grizzly or charging Bull Moose dead right there right now, well, that's a perfect answer for why .45-70.

Or, in the Traveller world, when you absolutely want to bag yourself a scout ship.:eek:

On El Paso, the .45-70 is widely used for buffalo and harvesting the more ornery Longhorns, and has been used on Megaphants, but is a tad light for those.

See the following thread for more on El Paso. Right now, development is a bit slow until I can get my files off of a recalcitrant laptop.

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=37564

It does NOT reliably take Kodiak Grizzlies. Nor does an M-60 nor M2-HB, unless you burst-fire into them. Guy who bought the rifle off the roommate got a bear permit... put 7 rounds down range, 5 into the bear (as evidenced by splatter), and had to report an escaped bear... (If you hit it and don't take it down, failing to report is punishable.)

If you're doing bear defense, a .40 cal pen flare is a far better round (and not controlled in Alaska), with a very low recoil.

And moose can reliably be taken with a .30-06 and good aim.

Regarding cartridge ammunition vs weird variations such as caseless, or binary or whatever, well, look at it from the procurer's point...
Basically, once you get the cartridge, it is hard to improve on the basic idea. What does change with TL is power of the propellant, strength of materials, ease of manufacturing. Set the TL of the ACR at '10' and then we are at the same situation as if, say, I want to buy ammo for my Krag-Jorgensen rifle from the Spanish-American War (if I had one) or a Martini-Henry in .577. 'Ancient TL3/4 guns, modern TL8 ammo.

Those are great ideas, but if it's a base TL10 ACR, is that what's going to be used by an Imperial Army? Granted that your description would mean that it can be resupplied with ammunition from any TL4+ system, but what TL does the IA operate at normally? If it was much higher (13+) would it accept using an old-fashioned ACR as the primary small arms?

It's the gauss rifle.

It's primary ammunition is a propellantless mini slug.

slug_1627430c.jpg

Regarding cartridge ammunition vs weird variations such as caseless, or binary or whatever, well, look at it from the procurer's point.

You have a great rifle, firing a 7mm bullet in a cartridge. By standardizing all the pieces parts of the cartridge, you create a standard that is, well, universal. Some Imperial variation of SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute) or Imperial Small Arms Institute or whatever, specifies the following:
[ . . . ]
Lower-tech slug ammunition for ACRs (manufactured down to TL8) gets an honourable mention back as far as LBB4.

I see the ACR as the AK of the traveller universe. Some folks will view it as obsolete, some folks will view it as good enough. It's a sort of lowest common denominator for a weapon capable of being used in combat against high tech forces.

With enough population and money (perhaps from about pop 6 upwards), a lower-tech world could import tooling to make their own ammunition - and offworld techs to maintain the plant if needed. Poorer worlds are more likely just to import the weapons and ammunition. Most worlds will be within a reasonable jump range of at least one world capable of manufacturing ACRs.

Locally manufactured lower tech weapons (rifles, autorifles, assault rifles etc.) may supplement imported ACRs to save money with some units being equipped with local kit and some equipped with ACRs to deal with the possibility of threats that have access to high-tech body armour.

Certainly the market for such kit is going to gravitate to a small number of standard calibres and designs. You can see this phenomenon today in the prevalance of AK and AR designs made by a large number of different manufacturers. Imperial authorities could reasonably publish specifications for a standard ACR design, although they don't necessarily have to unless they are procuring the weapons for their own forces.

Your hypothetical TL4 world is not likely to make TL 4 ammunition for an ACR but (if wealthy enough) they may import plant to make their own ammunition under licence. Alternativley they will just import enough weapons and ammunition to meet their need for high tech armaments and make up the difference with something manufactured locally.

Last edited:
Gauss weaponry would be categorized as military.

ACRs probably wouldn't need an end user certificate, and probably would be easily available for export,useful for outfitting a mercenary unit, or rapidly equipping a nascent military or just parachuting a bunch of guns to some insurrectionists.

Back