• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Proof of idenity in the OTU?

From T4 Core Rules, p. 66 (~ I.Y 000 / Setting Max TL12):

Imperial ID
Also known as the "Universal ID," or more often just the "Universal," this contains authenticated identity information about a person, such as fingerprint, name, date of birth, holographic photo, and so on. This info is encrypted on the card, the encryption being updated every day or so based on an internal clock and computer. Normally, most transactions just go through a person's comm, which has links to the necessary databases—bank account, passport control, etc. In cases where a more secure ID is required, however, the Office of Imperial Records also is queried, which in turn queries the person's Universal, decrypts the information there based on the current day-and-date code, and can thus provide backup identification. A Universal is free on most Imperial worlds, but it can be a troublesome process to replace one that has been lost or stolen.

THE VALUE OF ID

In the Imperium, ID is everything. Indeed, there are urban legends and tri-d dramas about people getting lost in the system. After having their ID scrambled somehow, their car would not start, their house locked them out, and they could not even place a comm call to Imperial Services to get the situation fixed. There are now safeguards built into the system so that in the event this happens, a "safety net" will catch a person in the form of toll-free emergency lines, support services, etc. It can still be a terrible pain, but it happens to only about one person per million lifetimes. Still, no one wants to be that one person.

Comm
A comm is a ubiquitous piece of communication hardware that serves the function of personal appointment book, watch, and video cellular phone. Depending upon the capabilities of the model, comms are usually about the size of a man's wrist-watch, although they can be made into pendants, sunglass lenses, large screen folding versions or even audio-only rings. Comms broadcast on a licensed part of the high-frequency radio spectrum, with basic TL12 encryption (difficulty level 2 to break) and spread-spectrum technology to prevent casual eavesdropping. A personal comm contains basic information about the owner, and can be programmed by voice or computer. Typically, a comm will have its owner's name, address, next of kin, list of comm codes for friends and associates, and any other information the owner considers important enough to carry. Public comms have bigger screens and better bandwidth, and can handle more simultaneous calls than the limited capabilities of a wrist comm. A basic wrist comm is capable of receiving and storing a small amount of voice, video, and computer data for later retrieval. This makes it capable of functioning as a low-quality video camera and recorder, though its storage space is limited. Often, people who use a comm in this way have it transmit the audiovisual signal back to a personal computer with more recording space.

By the same token, many jurisdictions have a comm override command for law-enforcement use. In case of sufficient cause (fire, riot, etc.), all comms in an area can be commanded to broadcast to police HQ, giving officials hundreds of video feeds from different vantage points for later analysis and possible use in criminal prosecution. Even with advances in electronics, a comm has a very low power output, and requires nearby antennas for retransmission of its weak signal. In populated areas and on major travel routes, this is not a problem. In rural or remote areas, however, a comm Booster is often carried. This is a wallet-sized amplifier and power supply that rebroadcasts the comm signal at sufficient strength to be picked up by satellite and routed to its destination. Dedicated use of a satellite channel is slightly more expensive than normal calling, however, enough so as to discourage casual use, but not so much as to prevent it altogether. Comms run in price from about Cr50 for a cheap version, up to around Cr200 for a decent quality, full-feature model. They weigh no more than 0.1 kg unless set in a casing of precious metal. Comms with specialized encryption chips cost up to ten times the normal price, but have a level 4 encryption, sufficient to block most real-time eavesdropping. High-security communications require dedicated equipment too large to fit in a comm. Comm boosters are available (see the exploratory gear section). Comms have a computer rating 1.

But that's because they can do it virtually instantaneously here. That isn't so in Traveller. X-boat data takes as much as two + weeks to transfer between two systems that are on the X-boat route. If the system isn't on the X-boat route, it'll take longer.
So, when a gov't creates an ID for a citizen (most likely when that person is 18) and sends that data out to all the systems, that citizen is traveling faster than that network? Please explain how that is.

Every citizen of an Imperial world is a citizen of the Imperium - except when they are not.

The Imperium doesn't give two hoots for the repressive dictatorship or religious autocracies that govern its worlds. The citizens of such planets may be Imperial Citizens in name, but not in practice.

Does every Imperial world scan the biometric data of every citizen and transmit that data to every Imperial world via the xboat system. Nope.

The only people who get an Imperial ID documents are those that need it. Anyone travelling offworld will have their data put into their personal ID and a copy will be put into the xnet.

This is exactly how I run it. It makes the most sense.

So, when a gov't creates an ID for a citizen (most likely when that person is 18) and sends that data out to all the systems, that citizen is traveling faster than that network? Please explain how that is.
It takes weeks for that information to travel one jump to another system, however far that single jump is, using an X-boat. When that information arrives in that system, it has to be transferred to the local government's means of storage. That too isn't instantaneous. Then, it gets copied and sent to other systems nearby not on the X-boat route. Those systems copy and send it on.
Then, it periodically requires updating. How often does that occur, daily, weekly, yearly? Thus, any single system's current data could be out of date by up to years depending on how this system updates. What one system has is likely not what another has.
Compounding all that, each system--assuming the person moves around like a space faring crew member might--adds their own information about this person to the system that gets added. Throw in bureaucratic errors, and then on some law level H planet somewhere this happens:

It takes weeks for that information to travel one jump to another system, however far that single jump is, using an X-boat.
Well, in the US, normally, it also takes weeks to get a passport. (Yes, there's an expedited path.)

Part of that "weeks" can be letting the data have a "head start".

Systems that aren't part of the X-Boat network are still part of some mail network, whether it's a formal courier routinely coming, or tossing a thumb drive to a passing trader.

"Can't stop the signal, Mal!"

The simple truth is, if "this is a problem", then they work a solution to work out the problem. Holding the ID until the data has had a chance to propagate can be A solution to that problem.

Also, as long as the ID is authentic, which can be verified (this has to exist otherwise its all moot), then simply handing over the passport propagates the data. When you go through customs, cha-ching, the ID is uploaded into the local "instantaneous" network.

Going back to my contrived example, all that's really necessary to propagate is the signing key that's used to authenticate the IDs. If systems are diligent in sending out the "new" key a couple of months before they use it, there's no problem at all. You're back to the previous scenario. Customs sees your ID, verifies it's signed by the official key they already have, import you into the system, and away you go.

"We see you're new here. Here's a temporary ID you may need for the next couple of days. System usually catches up in a few hours, but just in case." The temp id is signed by a local authority and bound to your ID.

If you're found on planet and NOT in the network? Well, then there's trouble. You can have that window "Well I should be in the system, I just came in yesterday, and, gee, where is that temp ID...shucks, must have lost it." "That's no problem sir, we'll simply incarcerate you until the ID clears the system. The food isn't half bad. Come with us, please!"

But see, for an "important" transaction, "well, sorry, we'll just have to wait for that then sir." "What, you won't let me draw out 1MCr from my account with just my still-hot-off-the-presses passport?" "No sir, come back in a couple of days."

It takes weeks for that information to travel one jump to another system, however far that single jump is, using an X-boat. When that information arrives in that system, it has to be transferred to the local government's means of storage. That too isn't instantaneous. Then, it gets copied and sent to other systems nearby not on the X-boat route. Those systems copy and send it on.
You still haven't explained how when your ID info is sent out when you are 18 you are subsequently outrunning that data when you travel . Your explanation doesn't hold water. By the time 99.999% of the population goes on an interstellar jaunt the data will have had a minimum of many months and almost always, YEARS to disseminate.

1. It's only really issued to people who need it. Interstellar travellers, employees of the Imperium, and others who need it. The vast majority of people never get an Imperial ID. It's just not required.

2. There's anti-forgery and authentication built into an Imperial ID. I don't have the background to specify, but it can be checked with routine items at any imperial connected starport. It can say "I'm an authentic Imperial ID" to a customs agent, who may or may not be inclined to check against a list. I see an Imperial ID as smart card/book with electronics built in.

3. Backwater locations can issue a temporary Imperial ID that can be used to get a higher tech one. If a traveller uses one too long, the Authorities like to use them for testing every sort of search technique, behooving the person to get a proper one.

Well, in the US, normally, it also takes weeks to get a passport. (Yes, there's an expedited path.)

Part of that "weeks" can be letting the data have a "head start".

Systems that aren't part of the X-Boat network are still part of some mail network, whether it's a formal courier routinely coming, or tossing a thumb drive to a passing trader.

"Can't stop the signal, Mal!"

The simple truth is, if "this is a problem", then they work a solution to work out the problem. Holding the ID until the data has had a chance to propagate can be A solution to that problem.

Also, as long as the ID is authentic, which can be verified (this has to exist otherwise its all moot), then simply handing over the passport propagates the data. When you go through customs, cha-ching, the ID is uploaded into the local "instantaneous" network.

Going back to my contrived example, all that's really necessary to propagate is the signing key that's used to authenticate the IDs. If systems are diligent in sending out the "new" key a couple of months before they use it, there's no problem at all. You're back to the previous scenario. Customs sees your ID, verifies it's signed by the official key they already have, import you into the system, and away you go.

"We see you're new here. Here's a temporary ID you may need for the next couple of days. System usually catches up in a few hours, but just in case." The temp id is signed by a local authority and bound to your ID.

If you're found on planet and NOT in the network? Well, then there's trouble. You can have that window "Well I should be in the system, I just came in yesterday, and, gee, where is that temp ID...shucks, must have lost it." "That's no problem sir, we'll simply incarcerate you until the ID clears the system. The food isn't half bad. Come with us, please!"

But see, for an "important" transaction, "well, sorry, we'll just have to wait for that then sir." "What, you won't let me draw out 1MCr from my account with just my still-hot-off-the-presses passport?" "No sir, come back in a couple of days."

2. There's anti-forgery and authentication built into an Imperial ID. I don't have the background to specify, but it can be checked with routine items at any imperial connected starport. It can say "I'm an authentic Imperial ID" to a customs agent, who may or may not be inclined to check against a list. I see an Imperial ID as smart card/book with electronics built in.
In a new personal MFA product I recently help launch the token won't function if the person it is attuned to isn't the one wearing it. So you present it as ID and it tells the authenticating H/W that you are an imposter.

Do not let yourself get onto a position where you need to speed-run the passport office. It almost never works.

Almost. ;)

(I got really lucky that one time, with an assist from Mrs. Moped's people skills and some very efficient civil servants.)

The expedited path isn't cheap, and the really-expedited version typically requires a dead relative for justification.

Still, the process was a lot simpler than I expected it to be, if one already has the necessary documents. I imagine that there might be issues if you're starting without some of them.

There’s been talk about proof of ID within the imperial system but what about outside?

If I’m from one of the client states in the Reavers Deep or from an independent world in the Trojan Reach how does my ID work? If I’m an imperial traveling to those worlds do I need a local ID?

In my drinax campaign I like to play up the difference between the IDs issued by the Great Powers, Minor Powers and barely rans.

The players with Imperial ID tend to have less trouble with customs and tend to be approached more by the less politically aware to solve their problems. (Neobarb militia wants their pirate hunter trained, City Mayor invites them to dinner to prove to the peasants how cosmopolitan he is etc etc.) Outside the major routes Imperials are minor celebrities and are assumed to all be rich, powerfully connected and understand high technology.

The players from Drinax (both nobles) tend to do more of the local politics and the politically aware (who don’t want either great power fiddling in their pie) tend to see them as problem solvers but are seen as more mundane by the average peasant or minor official.

I have ID as both a card that has a universal reader that imperial star ports (and a good number outside the imperium) have but they also have a paper/card/spacepaper version that just has the standard profile.

When the players go into the Heirate it all gets confusing as they tend to need new ID every time they go to a new clan territory, the ease of acquisition being wildly varying

If I’m from one of the client states in the Reavers Deep or from an independent world in the Trojan Reach how does my ID work? If I’m an imperial traveling to those worlds do I need a local ID?
You will if you want to do anything of note.

If a polity can't vet your ID, and you're "just who you say you are", IF they let you in at all, they'll give you some temporary ID. A visa or something that says not only who they think you are, but that you actually have permission to be there.

Obviously the more "frontier" the place is, perhaps, the looser this system would be. Show up unannounced at one of the core worlds, and they'll likely just show you the door back the way you came from.

TraffickingTattoo.jpg

You will if you want to do anything of note.

If a polity can't vet your ID, and you're "just who you say you are", IF they let you in at all, they'll give you some temporary ID. A visa or something that says not only who they think you are, but that you actually have permission to be there.

Obviously the more "frontier" the place is, perhaps, the looser this system would be. Show up unannounced at one of the core worlds, and they'll likely just show you the door back the way you came from.
Yeah so how do they verify?

Let’s say I’m from Drinax in the Trojan Reach. If I visit a nearby world like Torpol it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that they have a way (through treaty or something) of checking my space passport (in whatever form that may be).

If I were to travel further afield, to the sourjournate on the other side of the sector for example it’s incredibly likely the customs folks there have never seen Drinaxi Identification Documents and May lack the means to verify.

If I visit an Imperial world like Tobia the identity documents of some back woods planet on the border with the Hierate are unlikely to pass muster.

I guess documents like visas could be obtained at various embassies if such things existed but if your planet had no such embassies it seems unlikely people would be able to remotely apply for documentation.

The God-Emperor's Secretary of State demands and requires in the name of His Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance and to afford the bearer every assistance and protection as may be necessary or face the wrath of the God-Emperor.

Yeah so how do they verify?
Implicitly, they can't.

You're who you say you are, whoever that is.

If they are uncomfortable with that level of confidence, they won't let you in. If they catch you inside, they'll deport you, or shove you in a holding cell until you can be vetted.

Obviously, it depends on the polity and how liberal they are with their immigration rules.

You have to appreciate the basic reality that "this happens every day", and there's some policies to deal with that situation when they arise.

As a traveller, it behooves you to understand these identity laws and, perhaps best, to comply with them so that your travel is not unceremoniously disrupted or delayed by the authorities.

And if there are no "authorities", well then, "I'm Jack, from off world. Do you take gold?"

Obviously, it depends on the polity and how liberal they are with their immigration rules.
You have to appreciate the basic reality that "this happens every day", and there's some policies to deal with that situation when they arise.
As a traveller, it behooves you to understand these identity laws and, perhaps best, to comply with them so that your travel is not unceremoniously disrupted or delayed by the authorities.
"Let's just say we'd prefer to avoid any imperial entanglements."
- old man in a bathrobe who did NOT break the "no blasters" rule of the establishment

Back