• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Reading a subsector - Regina

Some of us believe that the universe described by MT material is the same as the universe described by CT material. We call it the Official Traveller Universe. :D

It is, and it isn't. Sure, jump equals 1 week of travel in all editions of Traveller. But, you've got things like HEPLAR in TNE, T-Plates in MT, and just a plain, undefined Maneuver Drive in CT.

There are differences. Fusion+ was first seen in T4, correct?

I can imagine passenger liners looking, not like the Subsidized Liner (which is a cruise ship!) but a meat wagon, a 1000 ton widebodied Airbus carrying 500 low berths. Pack em in, jam em in. Freeze those suckers. No in-flight meals. Racks and racks and halls and halls of the things. I can get my family offworld (and back) for Cr8,000 ($40,000).

Let's look at this as a rough estimate in today's dollars. It's 200Cr per month rent for an ordinary quality lodging. Apartment rent would translate to about $1000 a month, on average (where I live). That means a Cr is equal to about $5.

So, it would cost, round trip, about $40,000, and a minimum of 3 weeks away from your job (figure one week travel each way and at least a week at your destination).

The upper middle class can afford 3 week vacations, no doubt. But, I don't think the average upper middle class family will be taking too many $40,000 vacations.

It might be a once in a lifetime deal, but $40,000 is a new car. It's something you'd finance for 3 years or so.

Space travel is very expensive, and very time consuming. As I said, I don't think too many people will be leaving their homeworlds in the Traveller universe. It's not like Star Wars where you can pop into the family shuttle and trek over to the other side of the galaxy.

Even at double occupantcy, you're talking $40,000 for a two-way trip.

I can imagine passenger liners looking, not like the Subsidized Liner (which is a cruise ship!) but a meat wagon, a 1000 ton widebodied Airbus carrying 500 low berths. Pack em in, jam em in. Freeze those suckers. No in-flight meals. Racks and racks and halls and halls of the things. I can get my family offworld (and back) for Cr8,000 ($40,000).

As you plop down your $40,000 for your family of four to travel low passage, round trip, to the next star and back...

....your 9 year old tugs on your shirt tail. He's learned to read pretty well. And he asks, "Daddy, what does 92% survival rate mean?"

Ha ha! "Son, its your chance of winning the Low Lottery!"

I've flown economy a few times on trips to Greece and Cyprus, where meals cost extra you pay for movies and headphones and attendants come around while in the air offering to sell you scratch lottery cards. So the Low Lottery seems quite in line with the economy model!!

I guess you can't get holiday insurance when you fly low berth?

I guess you can't get holiday insurance when you fly low berth?

Sure you can. It's just that, with 8% of the total passengers covered by the insurance company ending up dead, the companyhas had to pay a lot of claims. Therefore, the insurance is very expensive (more expensive than a High Passage ticket), and the company has found that the low passengers haven't really got an extra 10Cr, much less an extra 10,000Cr.

Let's look at this as a rough estimate in today's dollars. It's 200Cr per month rent for an ordinary quality lodging. Apartment rent would translate to about $1000 a month, on average (where I live). That means a Cr is equal to about $5.
Back when the three LBBs were first published, a credit was the equivalent of one $US. Around 2000 we were talking about a credit being the equivalent of 3$. I suppose it must be a bit more by now, but probably not 5$.

For comparison, the per capita GWP of a TL15 industrial world is around Cr30,000. (This is in CT terms. Unfortunately, GT credits aren't comparable).

So, it would cost, round trip, about $40,000, and a minimum of 3 weeks away from your job (figure one week travel each way and at least a week at your destination).

The upper middle class can afford 3 week vacations, no doubt. But, I don't think the average upper middle class family will be taking too many $40,000 vacations.

It might be a once in a lifetime deal, but $40,000 is a new car. It's something you'd finance for 3 years or so.
I agree that a star trip would be a once or twice in a lifetime deal (And you would spend a lot more than one week at the destination). But the upper middle class of TL15 worlds has more money at their disposal than the upper middle class of a TL7-8 world like Earth.

Hans

It is, and it isn't. Sure, jump equals 1 week of travel in all editions of Traveller. But, you've got things like HEPLAR in TNE, T-Plates in MT, and just a plain, undefined Maneuver Drive in CT.
Yes, but some of those are simple errors. When MT claimed that jump fuel was less than 10% per jump number, it was just plain wrong. Some times RPGs get things wrong, you know ;). HEPLAR may work like TNE describes it, but practically no one uses it in 1105; they all use thrusters. And the undefined M-drive of CT turned out to be thrusters when it was defined (there was some reference to using fusion exhaust as a weapon, but that was obviously another mistake ;)).

There are differences. Fusion+ was first seen in T4, correct?
It was first mentioned in T4, sure. But since it was invented in -30 or whenever, it must, of course, still exist in 1105, so even though CT doesn't name it, the CT fusion plants are Fusion+[*].

Just as the capacitors that allow drop tanks was invented around 1080, so if T20 features a ship with drop tanks, it's a mistake.

See, it's easy when you know how, right? :D

Hans

[*] Unless there's some reason why Fusion+ is no longer used in 1105.

Last edited:
As you plop down your $40,000 for your family of four to travel low passage, round trip, to the next star and back...

....your 9 year old tugs on your shirt tail. He's learned to read pretty well. And he asks, "Daddy, what does 92% survival rate mean?"
Ah, but you see, that's another mistake. Or, if you prefer, a feature introduced by an RPG to make play more exiting even if less accurate. Sure, if you take a trip with a 50 year old free trader whose medic got his license from a forger, then the survival rate may be 92% percent, but if you go with a reputable company, the risk is minimal. Just check the rules in MT and GT.

Hans

It was first mentioned in T4, sure. But since it was invented in -30 or whenever, it must, of course, still exist in 1105, so even though CT doesn't name it, the CT fusion plants are Fusion+[*].

Just as the capacitors that allow drop tanks was invented around 1080, so if T20 features a ship with drop tanks, it's a mistake.

See, it's wasy when you know how, right? :D

Hans

[*] Unless there's some reason why Fusion+ is no longer used in 1105.

You need to start another thread and call it, "Reading a game system with multiple editions." :)

Ah, but you see, that's another mistake. Or, if you prefer, a feature introduced by an RPG to make play more exiting even if less accurate. Sure, if you take a trip with a 50 year old free trader whose medic got his license from a forger, then the survival rate may be 92% percent, but if you go with a reputable company, the risk is minimal. Just check the rules in MT and GT.

Why does that have to be a mistake? It wasn't a mistake for years and years before any other edition of Traveller came out.

I "read" that as a fairly automatic system (anybody can do it--hit the green button, but a Medic-2 or better can also watch vital signs and adjust where a layman can't) with a fairly high safety problem. (8% for healthy people).

What you seem to be doing is looking at all the editions of Traveller and picking & choosing what you like best.

That's not deciding on what the OTU is...that's picking your own house rules!

In the OTU of CT, a 92% survival rate with the low berths is canon and not a mistake. Just because another edition of Traveller came along (MT) and changed the rule doesn't make the 5+ throw for low berths in CT less canon.

You see, each edition does have its own peculiarities.

Last edited:
Why does that have to be a mistake? It wasn't a mistake for years and years before any other edition of Traveller came out.
But the other editions did come out. Either they're talking about different universes or one or more of the editions are mistaken. Whether it's one or the other is a matter of opinion, but they can't all be right AND be talking about the same universe.

I "read" that as a fairly automatic system (anybody can do it--hit the green button, but a Medic-2 or better can also watch vital signs and adjust where a layman can't) with a fairly high safety problem. (8% for healthy people).
But that's exactly what I suggested: That the extremely high mortality rate applies when you don't have someone competent to monitor the process.

What you seem to be doing is looking at all the editions of Traveller and picking & choosing what you like best.
Not quite. Whenever I run across an apparent discrepancy, I try to figure out a way to reconcile the contradictory statements. If I can't, I then decide which one I think is the most likely (Or the most fun ;)). I guess the last qualifies as picking and choosing what I like best, but in this case, I submit that the two statements can be reconciled in the way I suggested.

That's not deciding on what the OTU is...that's picking your own house rules!
No, my house rules I decide for myself. I don't get to decide on what the OTU is. For that, I need to persuade Marc Miller or a Traveller editor that what I suggest makes sense (I've had mixed success with that so far ;)). However, I suspect that precisely because MT and GT had less deadly low berth survival rules than CT, I'd have a good chance of persuading an editor to let me describe the low lottery as an urban myth. I could be wrong, but I certainly intend to have a try some day! :D

In the OTU of CT, a 92% survival rate with the low berths is canon and not a mistake. Just because another edition of Traveller came along (MT) and changed the rule doesn't make the 5+ throw for low berths in CT less canon.
In my opinion, there is no such thing as 'the OTU of CT'. There's the CT Universe (several of them, in fact -- the CT rules changed along the way), but there's only one Official Traveller Universe. Only one. And in any given universe things usually can't both be true and not true at the same time.

You see, each edition does have its own peculiarities.
Each edition, yes. Just as Flashing Blades, Lace & Steel, and GURPS Swashbucklers each describe a different Paris anno 1625, yet are all three based on a single truth.

Hans

Both numbers can be right unless you say that capabilities are the same for ALL low-berths in the universe....maybe there is one manufacturer of low-berths that is not as reliable as others...or perhaps the worse one if lower tech in some fashion.
Perhaps the manufacturer of low-berths in the Marches is more shoddy than the manufacturer of berths along the Rim.

I dislike the idea of making equipment specs into a huge flat boring blanket that covers every piece in the known universe.

But the other editions did come out. Either they're talking about different universes or one or more of the editions are mistaken. Whether it's one or the other is a matter of opinion, but they can't all be right AND be talking about the same universe.

And judging from the numerous differences in rules and setting, it's just as easy to say that each is a parallel universe described accurately, and that overlap is likely.

Given the relic ships in TNE using HEPlaR, they CAN NOT be the same universe as MT. Nor Can MT be the same universe as CT, though they are quite close. And T4... yet another parallel universe with ships behaving very differently (despite the same designs as TNE)...

And GT is way out there... the Terranglos must have been from the US to have imposed imperial units (ft/lbs) on the vilani...

Each edition, yes. Just as Flashing Blades, Lace & Steel, and GURPS Swashbucklers each describe a different Paris anno 1625, yet are all three based on a single truth.

Lace and Steel isn't set on Earth, let alone covering Paris... It's set in mittlemarch. Which looks more like Australia hybridized with renaissance europe.
http://www.buffnet.net/~caleb/Lacetoc.htm

And judging from the numerous differences in rules and setting, it's just as easy to say that each is a parallel universe described accurately, and that overlap is likely.

Given the relic ships in TNE using HEPlaR, they CAN NOT be the same universe as MT. Nor Can MT be the same universe as CT, though they are quite close. And T4... yet another parallel universe with ships behaving very differently (despite the same designs as TNE)...
But given that the prior histories of the TNE universe, the MT universe and the CT universe are identical, the ships CAN NOT behave differently, since different technologies would inevitably have resulted in divergent histories. It's a circular argument that can't be resolved if you insist that every statement must be regarded as true. Since the part I'm interested in is the history, I prefer to go with the "Same universe, same technology" option. You're free to go with the alternative, but then you're not discussing The OTU.

Lace and Steel isn't set on Earth, let alone covering Paris... It's set in mittlemarch. Which looks more like Australia hybridized with renaissance europe.
http://www.buffnet.net/~caleb/Lacetoc.htm
My mistake. I must have been thinking about another Three Musketeer RPG. Doesn't affect my point, though. It's perfectly possible to have rules sets that are so different you'd think they described different worlds that are nevertheless based on the same setting. All it takes is rules sets that focus on different aspects and skimp on research on other aspects.

Hans

You're free to go with the alternative, but then you're not discussing The OTU.

But, neither are you. You're the one making the choice of what and which way to reconcile discrepentcies among the game editions. Therefore, it's not the OTU you're describing, but your vision of the OTU. In other words, YTU, or your "house rules" as I said above.

But, neither are you. You're the one making the choice of what and which way to reconcile discrepancies among the game editions. Therefore, it's not the OTU you're describing, but your vision of the OTU. In other words, YTU, or your "house rules" as I said above.
Didn't I just point out that I can't decide what is and isn't true in the OTU? Only Marc Miller and his minions can do that. What I'm doing is discussing the OTU. Identifying discrepancies and suggesting ways to reconcile them. Sure, it's my vision of the OTU I'm describing. What's wrong with that? Whose vision should I be describing?

Take the case in point. Different canonical statements about low berth survival rates have been made. One statement (CT) says that 8% of passengers die. Another statement (MT) says that damages are more differentiated[*]. A third statement (GT) says that with proper medical supervision, the risk is minimal[**]. What is the best way to reconcile those statements? To say that the first one is true and the other two are completely false? Or to say that the first one is true, but only in special cases (no proper medical supervision), and that the other ones are also true?

[*] You roll dice for how much damage the passenger gets and only if it exceeds his hit points does he actually die. It's been so long since I actually read the MT rules for low berths that I can't remember the details.

[**] I forget how big the risk is without proper medical supervision.

Hans

What I'm doing is discussing the OTU. Identifying discrepancies and suggesting ways to reconcile them. Sure, it's my vision of the OTU I'm describing. What's wrong with that? Whose vision should I be describing?

Don't get me wrong. I like reading the things you point out because you're well versed in published material. I tend to default to published material, when it's easy to access, first, as well.

But, your statements come across as less than your opinion and more like statements of OTU fact.

I was only pointing out that, when reconciling the different editions of Traveller, there really is no OTU because different editions disagree on different details. (Or, the OTU exists in only general terms--not specifics).

Take the case in point. Different canonical statements about low berth survival rates have been made. One statement (CT) says that 8% of passengers die. Another statement (MT) says that damages are more differentiated[*]. A third statement (GT) says that with proper medical supervision, the risk is minimal[**]. What is the best way to reconcile those statements? To say that the first one is true and the other two are completely false? Or to say that the first one is true, but only in special cases (no proper medical supervision), and that the other ones are also true?

Exactly my point. In CT, low passage is an extremely risky proposition. In MT, it's not near as risky.

Both are correct. Both are OTU. One is the CT flavor. The other is the MT flavor.

You seem to be picking the option you like the best out of the choices presented in the different editions and calling that the OTU.

You said (a few posts back) that CT's low passage, with its 92% survival rate, was a "mistake".

What mistake? (You imply that CT's throw is not correct and againt OTU canon.)

It's not a mistake. That's how it is in the CT OTU.

Don't get me wrong. I like reading the things you point out because you're well versed in published material. I tend to default to published material, when it's easy to access, first, as well.

But, your statements come across as less than your opinion and more like statements of OTU fact.
Sorry about that. I thought the "Ah, but you see" that I preceded the statement with would indicate that I wasn't being entirely serious. Still, I guess that you are right. When discussing a discrepancy where the resolution is more or less six of one and half a dozen of the other (i.e. both are equally likely, they just can't both be true at the same time), I try to be careful to mention that. But in the case of the deadly low berths, I really think that, given the basic assumption that there is only one OTU, the massed statements taken together means that the statement "low berths are always very dangerous" is downright wrong. Specifically, I think that applying those mortality figures to regular passenger traffic is wrong.

I was only pointing out that, when reconciling the different editions of Traveller, there really is no OTU because different editions disagree on different details. (Or, the OTU exists in only general terms--not specifics).
But there is an OTU. We talk about it all the time. And Traveller authors have to pay attention to previously published material. When we wrote Sword Worlds we based a lot of it on CT information. The things we changed deliberately (e.g. population levels of Hofud and a couple of other worlds) we had to get specific permission to change (And we got that permission only because we could point out conflicting CT statements). Other changes that we wanted to make we weren't allowed. Why bother with all that unless the information provided by CT applied to the GTU? And why would it, unless it was the same universe? (OK, two parallel universes, but they were identical up until 1114.)

Exactly my point. In CT, low passage is an extremely risky proposition. In MT, it's not nearly as risky.

Both are correct. Both are OTU. One is the CT flavor. The other is the MT flavor.
But they can't both be correct in the same universe, unless there's a reasonable explanation for the difference. Such as one applying when there's no proper medical supervision and the other applying when there is. "Well, that was CT, this is MT" is not a reasonable explanation.

You seem to be picking the option you like the best out of the choices presented in the different editions and calling that the OTU.
No, I'm synthesizing a version that IMO best reconciles the different statements.

You said (a few posts back) that CT's low passage, with its 92% survival rate, was a "mistake".
IMO it's a mistake to apply it to all low berth travel across the board, yes.

What mistake? (You imply that CT's throw is not correct and against OTU canon.)
And so I think it is, since I think MT (and, as far as technology goes, GT) is just as good OTU canon as CT.

It's not a mistake. That's how it is in the CT OTU.
No, it's how it is with the CT rules. Not the same thing.

Hans

Nice thread.

Vera nice, I will do my usual and incorporate it into my Marches, and to me it's seems that both can be true, not all products are the same, ship TLs are different, etc, but IMTU there mostly still vaguely dangerous (or at least enough to scare PCs.) :devil:

Back