• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Sector, Subsector, Planetary navies

Actually, that is an interesting "in" to explain the prevalence of mercenaries in a high tech interstellar society. Obligations and reluctance to leave territory undefended might leave "gaps" in coverage that could turn into lucrative mercenary contracts.

Of course, if it is so important for nobles to maintain colonial fleets, it sort of paints a picture of an imperium that is at a bit more unrest that traditional traveller materials imply, and perhaps there is a bit more Dune-life strife in the nobility than we see.

I mean we see TAS articles about worlds rebelling or getting in wars and the Imperial forces having to intervene. But who's to say how much nobility power play goes on behind the scenes.

Originally posted by thrash:
[qb] </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />does it not say that Colonial fleets can be "Imperialized"?
Actually, no, this isn't explicitly stated in CT that I know of. We infer something of the sort from FFW and I:E, where colonial and regular units are mixed in the same commands. There is a significant difference, however, between "HG the Duke offers his forces to the Emperor..." and "You are hereby ordered to report to Sector HQ at coordinates...".

</font>[/QUOTE]If it helps any, quoting JTAS #9 page 41 (only one sentence) and page 42 (the full first paragraph) reads:

"Imperial colonial squadrons are locally trained and financed. In time of war, they become imperialized and may be utilized by the Imperial Navy as required for te greater good of the Imperium. This fact is not necessarily well-publicized before hostilities begin"

I know this brings us back to how you define a "reserves" unit and to some extent contradicts the idea that they are kept 100% separate. As you note, a Noble could offer his troops voluntarily much like a Colonel offers his regiment. However, this bit about Imperializing a unit sounds like a form of deputizing for the duration of the hostilities kind of thing. I suspect too, that it doesn't happen during normal periods of peace - but only in times of war.

Originally posted by Psion:
Actually, that is an interesting "in" to explain the prevalence of mercenaries in a high tech interstellar society. Obligations and reluctance to leave territory undefended might leave "gaps" in coverage that could turn into lucrative mercenary contracts.

Of course, if it is so important for nobles to maintain colonial fleets, it sort of paints a picture of an imperium that is at a bit more unrest that traditional traveller materials imply, and perhaps there is a bit more Dune-life strife in the nobility than we see.

I mean we see TAS articles about worlds rebelling or getting in wars and the Imperial forces having to intervene. But who's to say how much nobility power play goes on behind the scenes.
Actually? That raises another point. Take a look at the missions a typical Naval inductee can potentially undergo in his career in the Navy. The missions are:

Battle
Shore Duty
Siege
Strike
Patrol
Training
Special Training

Battle is self-explanitory, as are Shore Duty, Patrol, and training. What I find interesting are Strike and Siege.

Prior to the Fifth Frontier war, none of these "actions" should have been possible unless (presumably of course - ie, IMTU!!!) there was something going on internal to the Imperium. Otherwise, these "events" would occur against an actual enemy who happens not to be the Zhodani. A siege (or blockade perhaps?) is an act of war. A Strike could plausibly be a deniable act providing the strike is small enough and the ship doesn't get caught with its hands in the cookie jar. Ultimately however, the missions suggested in the book have a rather um... high fatality possibility. This almost implies that either the character is on the lead ship going in to neutralize a planet's defenses - or the player character is involved in some pretty heavy action where the overwhelming weight of the Imperium is NOT present. Hmmmmmm

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hal:
If it helps any, quoting JTAS #9 page 41 (only one sentence) and page 42 (the full first paragraph) reads:

"Imperial colonial squadrons are locally trained and financed. In time of war, they become imperialized and may be utilized by the Imperial Navy as required for te greater good of the Imperium. This fact is not necessarily well-publicized before hostilities begin"
That clinches it, then -- thanks. I'll have to add the relevant bits from that JTAS article to my repertoire when I get home.
"
</font>[/QUOTE]You're welcome. Right now I'd like to just find a "middle ground" in designing things so that it is usable
Having your help is appreciated.

From all of this, I've got the folling "view":

1) the Colonial Command structure *IS* different from the Imperial Navy structure.

2) Based on material elsewhere - the Sector Duke and the Arch-Duke are in the Imperial Navy chain of command. The difference between them being in the Imperial Chain of command versus the Colonial Chain of command is that each "navy" has its own mission statement. The two navies sort of overlap in potential mission collaboration, but for the most part, they stick to their missions because they were expressly designed to be.

3) The Colonial navy, while unspoken, has the additional job of acting as a form of a check and balance against any territorial ambitions that some Admiral might have against the Iridium Throne. The only way an Imperial Fleet can head for the capital is if the nobles who control the subsector fleet agree with them in principle.

4) Originally, I started from the viewpoint that the funding of the Colonial navy had to be distinct from the Imperial Navy. This is a given from JTAS 9. However, I had also presumed that the subsector Navy was a mirror of the Colonial Navies in the sense that they are independently funded outside of the Imperial navy. However? If we merge MT REBELLION and CT, I can see a possible way out of the conundrum you guys have been discussing. There is nothing to state that a reserve unit can't serve with the Colonial fleet on detatched duty is there? This means that Reservist Naval Officers are either bringing Imperial Naval expertise to the Colonial Squadrons OR they are gaining experience in battle - or BOTH .
To illustrate: Suppose the main Imperial battle fleet has been at peace for the last oh, 20 years. The only training they have in matters of war is dril, more drill, and yet MORE Drill. On the other hand, officers rotated to reserve duty might find themselves commanding an older hull, but spending time amongst the colonial fleet as they deal with the issue of Piracy (yes, I know, an ugly word!). But if nothing else, it is a form of active command.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Take a look at the missions a typical Naval inductee can potentially undergo in his career in the Navy.
I wouldn't read too much into this facet of the character generation system. Note that there is no mission in Mercenary to account for an all-out war, only "raids," "police actions," and "counter-insurgency." Given that Mercenary was written in 1978 by Vietnam War veterans (among others), this bias towards "small wars" is hardly surprising. </font>[/QUOTE]Ok, I'll take that into account then.

While I'm here with hat in hand asking for advice - by chance, do you know how to calculate least time orbits from one world to another? GURPS STARSHIPS will tell you the distance between a gas giant and the main world and all. But what I need to do for one of the phases of my web page is crafting a set of rules for vector movement within the game. The Vector rules from the LBB works just FINE for this - but...

I have to record the location of a ship at any given time within the stellar system in question. For that I've settled on using 1,000 mile units plus polar co-ordinates. Using basic trig - it isn't hard to figure out the distance between two ships when you know length of one side of the triangle, angle of separation between ships, and length of second side of triangle. But here is where I run into a minor "block". Take Earth as an example. In the space of a single turn in Traveller, Earth would move some 22,000 miles. The problem for me is calculating a least distance trajectory from where the ship is - not to where the world is NOW, but where the world will BE by the time it gets near. That least time course will also depend on just how close you want to shave the course to the primary sun
file_23.gif

If I can get all this together? What I will have is a system where people can use Excel to record where they are by recording the distance on the ray, and the angle of the ray (Polar Co-ordinates). A second set of information would be the length of the ship's vector along with the direction of the ship's vector. Best part is? Ship's location is based on the primary sun's point of reference. Ship's vector will be based on the SHIP'S point of reference.

Dammit - I want this done already :(

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hal:
If it helps any, quoting JTAS #9 page 41 (only one sentence) and page 42 (the full first paragraph) reads:

That clinches it, then -- thanks. I'll have to add the relevant bits from that JTAS article to my repertoire when I get home.
"
</font>[/QUOTE]You're welcome. Right now I'd like to just find a "middle ground" in designing things so that it is usable
Having your help is appreciated.

From all of this, I've got the folling "view":

1) the Colonial Command structure *IS* different from the Imperial Navy structure.

2) Based on material elsewhere - the Sector Duke and the Arch-Duke are in the Imperial Navy chain of command. The difference between them being in the Imperial Chain of command versus the Colonial Chain of command is that each "navy" has its own mission statement. The two navies sort of overlap in potential mission collaboration, but for the most part, they stick to their missions because they were expressly designed to be.

3) The Colonial navy, while unspoken, has the additional job of acting as a form of a check and balance against any territorial ambitions that some Admiral might have against the Iridium Throne. The only way an Imperial Fleet can head for the capital is if the nobles who control the subsector fleet agree with them in principle.

4) Originally, I started from the viewpoint that the funding of the Colonial navy had to be distinct from the Imperial Navy. This is a given from JTAS 9. However, I had also presumed that the subsector Navy was a mirror of the Colonial Navies in the sense that they are independently funded outside of the Imperial navy. However? If we merge MT REBELLION and CT, I can see a possible way out of the conundrum you guys have been discussing. There is nothing to state that a reserve unit can't serve with the Colonial fleet on detatched duty is there? This means that Reservist Naval Officers are either bringing Imperial Naval expertise to the Colonial Squadrons OR they are gaining experience in battle - or BOTH .
To illustrate: Suppose the main Imperial battle fleet has been at peace for the last oh, 20 years. The only training they have in matters of war is dril, more drill, and yet MORE Drill. On the other hand, officers rotated to reserve duty might find themselves commanding an older hull, but spending time amongst the colonial fleet as they deal with the issue of Piracy (yes, I know, an ugly word!). But if nothing else, it is a form of active command.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Take a look at the missions a typical Naval inductee can potentially undergo in his career in the Navy.
I wouldn't read too much into this facet of the character generation system. Note that there is no mission in Mercenary to account for an all-out war, only "raids," "police actions," and "counter-insurgency." Given that Mercenary was written in 1978 by Vietnam War veterans (among others), this bias towards "small wars" is hardly surprising. </font>[/QUOTE]Ok, I'll take that into account then.

While I'm here with hat in hand asking for advice - by chance, do you know how to calculate least time orbits from one world to another? GURPS STARSHIPS will tell you the distance between a gas giant and the main world and all. But what I need to do for one of the phases of my web page is crafting a set of rules for vector movement within the game. The Vector rules from the LBB works just FINE for this - but...

I have to record the location of a ship at any given time within the stellar system in question. For that I've settled on using 1,000 mile units plus polar co-ordinates. Using basic trig - it isn't hard to figure out the distance between two ships when you know length of one side of the triangle, angle of separation between ships, and length of second side of triangle. But here is where I run into a minor "block". Take Earth as an example. In the space of a single turn in Traveller, Earth would move some 22,000 miles. The problem for me is calculating a least distance trajectory from where the ship is - not to where the world is NOW, but where the world will BE by the time it gets near. That least time course will also depend on just how close you want to shave the course to the primary sun
file_23.gif

If I can get all this together? What I will have is a system where people can use Excel to record where they are by recording the distance on the ray, and the angle of the ray (Polar Co-ordinates). A second set of information would be the length of the ship's vector along with the direction of the ship's vector. Best part is? Ship's location is based on the primary sun's point of reference. Ship's vector will be based on the SHIP'S point of reference.

Dammit - I want this done already :(

I have never done least time orbits, but I know that when I was in high school, may classmates, using nothing more than basics physics would routinely calculate least FUEL orbits, which would be far more elaborate, and would be dependant on first calculating closest approaches of the bodies in question, a calculation totally useless for your purpose.

I would suggest a little research. I can almost bet somewhere in NASA's vast bulk of web sites, the calculations are already compiled to any level of detail, and complexity you would like.

Also The L-5 society EXISTS to discuss exactly such mission planning, strictly by amateurs with often more limited math backgrounds. I never encountered any of those folks after the web was created, but I cannot imagine them not having a web presence, and again, I would be very surprised if they have not already reduced the computations down to a set of equations you can readily modify to suit your needs.

With current technology, and planning, fuel is the limiting factor, and mission planners have the luxury of being able to plan far enough out to take advantage of planetary alignments, so NASA would be more interested in least fuel orbits, though as fuel efficiency improves and mission timing becomes more of a factor least time fits are becoming more important.

L-5 on the other hand is a group of dreamers, who work not only within current tech limits, but look to future improvements as well. They love to study least fuel transits, least time, and optimizing between two.

Anyway, between these two groups, I think you will find that at least the worst math has already been done for you.

Hope this helps. I would like to see how it all works out when you get done.

Peace

Mr TEK

Originally posted by Hal:

<snip>

Question? When you utilized the figures, did you divide the military budget amongst the various forces or utilize it fully by the Navy? At present, I'm leaning towards the following:
Well, I hadn't really thought about it. I've got about twelve irons in the fire related to Traveller, plus other game systems I don't mention here, and hadn't done detailed budgetary work for Subsectors and so on.

Among other things, I was occasionally glancing at Pocket Empires and trying to come up with an even higher level abstraction, sort of a per-body avg value cost per year for the Military, for the Bureaucracy, and the Intelligence groups. Then, I was going to go over the down-payment w/monthly payments (summarized by year for easier tracking) to see what sort of budget was really necessary to keep a fleet. There would be annual capital to purchase new ships, annual costs to scrap (or mothball, or transfer, or whatever) ships too old to keep in service, and the sum total of each years mortgage payments (and annual maintence), plus a reasonable overall surcharge in extra payments for repairs (an active fleet damages itself during training here and there), and a fraction of ships to replace (there are always some losses in training; which would need to be replaced by each year's capital purchases budget.

From ship designs, you'd know your crewing levels. You could also do another abstraction for personnel necessary for bases, support, and administration (additional personnel based on added % values of the total personnel aboard fighting ships).

Your avg faceless Navy body would also have a cost. Each year, a fraction of the total personnel in service retire or die (requiring exit costs (mustering out benefits or death benefits) and assumption of retirement pension pay (or delivery to beneficiary), the fraction of total personnel that are new recruits (requiring additional recruit training costs), and the rest of the personnel (who require their abstracted annual pay; which includes everything, including refresher training, etc.)

Of the 15.9 TCr, I was thinking, at the time of writing the original post, that it was sufficiently large that 2 TCr could be devoted to the Navy, and another 1 TCr to the Subsector Army (bases, transports, everything; with a lot more in the way of small elite TL-15 strike teams and a brigade or five than in lots of Army Corp to drag around; that's the province if the IM). Only 3 TCr for the military leaves 12.9 TCr for the Imperial Bureacracy, etc. (The Subsector Duke's stipend was something like 200 GCr, so he pays for his Office and personnel and their maintenence out of that).

I've been looking over the translated Per Capita earnings table I made last year (I only had GT:FT for 2 weeks, made the table, then had to give GT:FT back to its owner; and only got myself a new copy a month or two ago). I seem to recall a serious disagreement with the per capita earnings at the higher TLs. GT:TL-12 only earns 15,000 GT:Cr. If I translate at the same rate as 3500 GT:Cr = 1 GT:High Passage, then the conversion rate to the OTU:High Passage of OTU:Cr (10,000) is 2.86. I went with 3, though. However, that gives us a canon per capita earnings for the avg OTU:TL-15 citizen of 45,000 OTU:Cr. This seemed rather low to me at the time (8 TLs higher than now and only 45 OTU:KCr?). I WAGed out some higher per capita values at TL-13 to TL-15. I need to look at it again. Oh yeah, given that my database has a boatload (30+ TL-16 worlds, I had a TL-16 value as well).

Also, as I mentioned, originally, I missed the modifiers for Trade Codes, which I haven't designed new queries to handle, so that isn't taken into account.

Originally posted by Hal:
3% of GDP of a world goes to its planety military needs. All of this is spent on such things as Planetary Defense, Marines, Army, Navy, COAAC, and special forces.

In addition to the world's normal taxation, another layer of taxation by treaty is appended to the planetary structure. This taxation in turn is utilized as funding for the subsector level government as well as military. I'm leaning towards 25% of the subsector tax being spent on the military. This military structure however does not have a planetary defense budget nor a COAAC portion.

What comes next however isn't a happy mix of budgetting:

Sensor platforms for early warning

Repair and maintenance

Wages both during employment and retirement benefits

Basing costs for military and families

Subsidiary benefits (medical, education, etc)

Training costs

Resupply of expendables etc

And so on. This doesn't even mention things such as R&R of systems nor does it mention R&R for ship building by class etc.

<snip>

Wanna exchange emails and see what we can come up with?
I'd be happy to discuss it.
But why not right here on CotI?

Ok, I've just spent a minute looking at the list Armored Cruiser from CT:Supp: 9. For the cost of one ship, I can pay for the mortgages of 18.18 of them.

The formula I used to arrive at the annual cost (not counting down payment, which would be handled out of the capital expenditures budget) was:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">ShipCost / 240 x 12 + (Shipcost * .005)</pre>[/QUOTE]In this, I effectively propose that Military vessels require .5% per year to maintain, instead of the normal .1%, to cover a variety of additional expenditures that civilian craft certainly don't have, and the tougher handling they receive overall.

Under this quick estimation (even a 1 TCr/year budget could probably field 100 Armored Cruiers without difficulty. It would only need to purchase, each year, about 2.5 (100 years / 40 year ship effective lifespan; 2 on even years, 3 on odd years).

If we take 100 / 18.18 = 5.5.
5.5 x ShipCost + (Ship Cost x 2.5) = 237.759 GCr. Ok, that's 25%, maybe a little too high (for the 1 TCr budget, but probably not for the 2 TCr budget). Maybe cut down to 25-50 ships or so. At this point, there's still plenty left over for other supporting vessels.

Re: 22,000 miles compared with AU movements ;)

That's 22,000 miles per "turn". Thus, in a 3 day journy, that movement is a total of 22,000 miles times 3 days times 24 hours times 3 turns per hour...

In total - Earth would have moved 4,752,000 Miles. Not an awful lot per se - but it does add to travel time. I was hoping there was some sort of simple formula to calculate all this. Your iteration concept is unfortunately too close to what I thought I'd have to do :(

This is a concession of defeat, of a sort.

I don't care enough to keep arguing.

Traveller canon is contradictory enough to support a whole bunch of different interpretations. Formalism doesn't help, because at a certain point, it stops making sense.

As we know, four Kinunir class Battle Cruisers is adequate to defend Regina subsector.

Aslan Ihatei fleets, of the type explained in the relevant CT Alien module, overran Tobia and Glisten.

Explaining these "facts" requires some very serious "interpretation". The exact nature of this "interpretation" is your problem, not mine.

What I am saying is: "Whatever you think makes sense is how it is in your game, if you are the referee. If you are a player, then it's your referee's problem".

Personally, I still think that the Reserve Fleets are composed of "whatever forces happen to be available in that particular subsector", with a bit of thought and planning about what those forces should be having previously taken place.

The Imperium is neither centralised nor incompetent. It's military planning is therefore neither optimal nor deliberately stupid. The Imperial Navy therefore fields the best possible forces available to it.

And if Duke Eneri Santanocheev-Tukera has any influence on it, it may or may not be exactly how Strephon's brain trust envisioned it.

Originally posted by thrash: </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
I've been looking over the translated Per Capita earnings table I made last year... I seem to recall a serious disagreement with the per capita earnings at the higher TLs...
If I may: you're off on a tangent, vhere. The per-capita GWP and passenger ticket rates in GT: Far Trader were set without reference to CT.
</font>[/QUOTE]That's too bad. Now I understand why there are no conversion tables or forumla for Credits between GT and CT.

<snip>

Hi Chris,
I just read your redefining TL's for GURPS TRAVELLER. Makes for interesting reading
Thanks for posting the link.

Tidbit of interest...

Training costs in the year of 2000 (2001?) were on average across all services - $28,800 per man with roughly 33% allocated to equipment costs and/or managerial costs. The rest were wages and benefits. This pertains to the initial basic training costs - not the ongoing costs as time progresses.

Hmmmmmmm

Back