• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Spaceship pictures site

Originally posted by Beholder:
OMG,

I am impressed.

Does the 1.5m X 1.5m x 3m area stands for a single ton? compared to these figures?
A ton in Traveller spaceship design is a "displacement ton" equal to 14 cubic meters. That's a space of roughly 1.5m x 3m x 3m.

(In case you're wondering, this is not the same as the actual mass of the ship; it's just a measure of volume. One displacement ton is approximately the volume of one metric ton of liquid hydrogen.)

Hey Scarecrow, this is a 100 ton ship!?!?
I saw the human beside the ship on the other site and have to say that the ship you made is the size I thought a 400ton ship would be
Actually, this is a little small for a 100 ton ship. All the volumes are correct according to the Classic Traveller (LBB) design rules except for the fuel. When I finally got round to building the tanks and calculating the volume (I build them real-size in Studio MAX and use a volume calculating plugin), it turned out that there was only space for 21 tons and not the required 40!!!
I cried, I sulked, I considered scrapping the project for a while but then I decided that, firstly I'd put so much work in that it was stupid just to scrap it. Secondly, The engines are MUCH bigger than they should be so that made up for a bit of the fuel loss and finally, in future I'd take it easier on deckplan designers who didn't get their plans perfect =)

Ahh the bitter taste of humble pie!

Crow

PS - Jame, HUGE update coming soon! I just need to find a bit of spare time.

Well, once again, I would like to tell you that the ship you made, outside and inside is a Hell of great piece of Art.

I am very amazed at your talents. How long did it take you to do that, in hours?

Did you learn 3D Max by yourself?

Originally posted by Tom Schoene:
[QBA ton in Traveller spaceship design is a "displacement ton" equal to 14 cubic meters. That's a space of roughly 1.5m x 3m x 3m.

(In case you're wondering, this is not the same as the actual mass of the ship; it's just a measure of volume. One displacement ton is approximately the volume of one metric ton of liquid hydrogen.)[/QB]
After reading the Freelance Traveller a little bit, i am perplexed. For my question, I will use an example:

Imagine a 50 ton ship, is it 50ton of space/volume for the entire ship, or 50 ton of interior space available?

(BTW, I know that I just Highjacked my own thread and am sorry to those wha are reading and expecting more ship site links, I will try to find others to excused myself)

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tom Schoene:
[QBA ton in Traveller spaceship design is a "displacement ton" equal to 14 cubic meters. That's a space of roughly 1.5m x 3m x 3m.

(In case you're wondering, this is not the same as the actual mass of the ship; it's just a measure of volume. One displacement ton is approximately the volume of one metric ton of liquid hydrogen.)
Imagine a 50 ton ship, is it 50ton of space/volume for the entire ship, or 50 ton of interior space available?[/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Both. Traveller doesn't generally worry about the difference between the interior volume and exterior volume.

I think that site might be confusing you because of all the discussion of real-world register tons, which are a measure of usable volme. Traveller simply assumes that all the volume is usable.

How long did it take you to do that, in hours?

Did you learn 3D Max by yourself?
Beholder, The Scout was started last June. I still haven't finished the upper deck. Admittedly I haven't been working on it solidly but I'd imagine there's a couple of hundred hours in it so far. My biggest personal gripe with it so far (aside from the fuel problem) is that it's all too clean and luxurious looking for what is supposed to be a utilitarian craft. ah well... I'll do it differently next time.

I did initially learn Studio MAX myself but I don't think I'd be anywhere near as competent as I am now without the things I've learned from my peers on sites like SciFi-Meshes.com and also in work. I've learned a hell of a lot actually working on this model - which was partially the objective.

Crow

Back