• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Strangest place to keep a weapon

For the strangest places for weapons how 'bout a soda can hand grenade just pop the tab throw and BOOM
file_23.gif

Didn't have this in a game, but as a sort of reverse twist in a story of mine, a character in the story realizes the fecal matter has hit the rotary atmospheric ocillator and it's up to him to save the day. He walks to his stateroom and there on the wall is a gun rack holding an impressively nasty battle rifle and attachments. He looks at it for a moment before sliding it aside to reveal his wet bar
He then pours himself a very stiff drink.

"Not again!" he says as he drains the glass.

Originally posted by lisagb:
Did Walter Jon Williams do anything similar? Cos Hardwired kicked some serious arse.
He has some other nice work like:

Voice of the Whirlwind (1987)
This has some really nice first contact stuff (kinda like Hivers mixed with K'kree mixed with Aslan) wrapped around a central character who is your basic star-merc. Makes Hardwired look soft.

The Crown Jewels
House of Shards
Two very funny novels, with a main character who is a 'licensed burglar'. Comedy-spoof sci-fi, again with some interesting aliens. Good for a laugh.

how about in the fresher ...just in case a Vargr Puppy comes "sniffing around"???....maby laser pistol.....to cook it!!!.....Pew, Pew, PEEE UUU
burning fur!!!....dont kill it....let it run around with a bare Butt for a while....great warning to others..
file_22.gif
file_22.gif

I believe you are referencing Isaac Asimov's "Marooned of Vesta" (?IIRC). Survivors of ship catastrophe in a short-term viable chunk of wreckage; no power, no life support, no drive, but water supply for months!? Answer: vent water supply to vacuum, use for reaction mass.

What is the strangest place you or your PCs have kept weapons?

When I was 22, I went down to visit my grandfather on his farm. It was my wife's first visit there, and we'd taken pistols because it was where I learned to shoot. Granddad always kept a Beretta .22 on a peg by the kitchen door, and his 1911 on top of the fridge until bedtime... so it was normal growing up there to see firearms.

We get there, and .. both are gone.
Asked Granddad about it, he said, "We hid them because we weren't sure about her (nod to new wife) thoughts on guns and we didn't want her thinking we were barbarians." At that point I mentioned she was just starting to get into shooting.... and Granddad took us on a tour of the farm.

He walked into the barn, and slapped his hand on the top of one of the wall panels... and it dropped open on a hinge and a 12 gauge pump fell into his hand.

There was a hidden panel in one of the produce storage rooms that produced another handgun.

Behind the seat of one of the old broken down trucks was a rifle.

It went on and on...

Finally, I asked, "Why?"

About ten years prior (say, around 1970ish) a group of bikers had rolled into one of the farms just down the road from them and taken the husband and wife there as slaves. It took six months or so for them to get a message out and the police to find out about it. After he and Grandma talked to the couple and got the details, he decided that he'd plan ahead for such things.

I'd spent my summers out there as a teenager... and for at least 5 years, maybe more, there were these "family secret weapon caches" that I didn't know about at all. It was kinda weird to find out about it that way.

When I was 22, I went down to visit my grandfather on his farm. It was my wife's first visit there, and we'd taken pistols because it was where I learned to shoot. Granddad always kept a Beretta .22 on a peg by the kitchen door, and his 1911 on top of the fridge until bedtime... so it was normal growing up there to see firearms.

We get there, and .. both are gone.
Asked Granddad about it, he said, "We hid them because we weren't sure about her (nod to new wife) thoughts on guns and we didn't want her thinking we were barbarians." At that point I mentioned she was just starting to get into shooting.... and Granddad took us on a tour of the farm.

He walked into the barn, and slapped his hand on the top of one of the wall panels... and it dropped open on a hinge and a 12 gauge pump fell into his hand.

There was a hidden panel in one of the produce storage rooms that produced another handgun.

Behind the seat of one of the old broken down trucks was a rifle.

It went on and on...

Finally, I asked, "Why?"

About ten years prior (say, around 1970ish) a group of bikers had rolled into one of the farms just down the road from them and taken the husband and wife there as slaves. It took six months or so for them to get a message out and the police to find out about it. After he and Grandma talked to the couple and got the details, he decided that he'd plan ahead for such things.

I'd spent my summers out there as a teenager... and for at least 5 years, maybe more, there were these "family secret weapon caches" that I didn't know about at all. It was kinda weird to find out about it that way.
A very wise pair of grandparents.

Yeah, stories of rampaging bikers are scary. Too bad lethal traps are illegal... we certainly shouldn't build any "just in case." Nope. Not at all.

What is the strangest place you or your PCs have kept weapons?
;)

Hey, you asked...

Not my character, but:

In an episode of Doctor Who, a Robot says to Captain Jack Harkness: "But you're unarmed. You're naked."

Jack pulls a gun from 'behind his back'.

The second robot says: "But that's a compact laser deluxe."

The first Robot says: "Where were you hiding that?"

Captain Jack says: "You really don't want to know."

The strangest wasn't in Traveller, but since the question was for PCs, a character in a cyberpunk game had weapons not only in several places in his van, but also a rifle in a custom mounted case underneath the chassis. Dive for cover, get a weapon while you're under there.

... a holdout pistol strapped to her left inner thigh and clipped to the top of her stocking.

With you so far.

A spare ammo clip and knife were strapped to the other thigh.

My inner sperg might have won out against my rule of cool tolerance here. That's a lot of click-clack chafing going on there.

Back