• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5 status

sorry for the inconvience - I hate linking to facebook for several reason.

It could be because you need to be a member of that Facebook group to view the post or i could be because direct linking to a post within a thread doesn't work well.
the following is to the thread rather than the direct post (and if you are not part of the group you probably will be blocked)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/151886352134515/permalink/331313880858427/

If this works - Marc's post is about 1/2 way down.

If it doesn't... then follow this link to an image of the post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwXPXOpHG2g/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I'm not after a free set of the rules.

I'm after the fulfilment of the commitments my tier of backing were supposed to bring with it.

It is also pretty standard practice these days for updated/corrected pdfs to be offered as free downloads rather than having to pay again for what you should have got in the first place.

My 'email to T5 backers' comment is basically a courtesy for those who do not frequent facebook, or browse these forums so that they are aware of the new iteration of T5.

What I am mainly interested in is how I can buy at least two copies of this edition, is there a pre-order scheme, is it only available from FFE, will it arrive in game stores.

Will MWM be emailing T5 kickstarter backers?
. . .
It is also pretty standard practice these days for updated/corrected pdfs to be offered as free downloads rather than having to pay again for what you should have got in the first place.
. . .
What I am mainly interested in is how I can buy at least two copies of this edition, is there a pre-order scheme, is it only available from FFE, will it arrive in game stores.

S'truth!

Do we know if DriveThru RPG will be updated to the new version? Or how current PDF owners will get it?

ISTR that when the 5.09 update came out, I received a DTRPG Coupon for the download in my e-mail inbox (I don't remember if it was a "coupon-code" from FFE directly or a notification from/thru DTRPG).

If Marc does things as he has in the past, you will probably be able to get the PDF thru DTRPG, and the physical copy directly from the FFE website, when they become available.

As far as I am aware Marc is committed to making sure the original kickstarter promises are fully fulfilled.

I would expect the kickstarter to be starting on the 1st of next month (May) for new printed t5.1. This is purely speculation based on dates and delivery times so please don't hold me to this.

Last edited:
I will admit, I'm looking forward to this about as much as the finale to Game of Thrones.

I had hoped to have the PDF before my vacation this week, but then I'd have spent all my free time reading it. Instead of baking in the sun as I'm doing now. So I can wait just a wee bit more I suppose.

ISTR that when the 5.09 update came out, I received a DTRPG Coupon for the download in my e-mail inbox (I don't remember if it was a "coupon-code" from FFE directly or a notification from/thru DTRPG).

If Marc does things as he has in the past, you will probably be able to get the PDF thru DTRPG, and the physical copy directly from the FFE website, when they become available.

If memory serves, and typically how DTRPG works, it was a code from DTRPG to me, likely because my KS email is the same for both accounts.

I'm glad to hear that the 5.1 will likely be updated on DTRPG.

Just throwing this out there after reading through the thread a bit.

The last piece of the previous Kickstarter was the Player's Guide, and it has been mentioned that post the 5.1 release that is probably next on the schedule. While later even by KS standards, I do applaud waiting for the revision of rules (and hopefully this time things were more carefully edited) so that the players handbook can be better.

On the perpetual updating: that always depends on the author. The general rule appears, from my experience in DriveThru, corrections and updates get posted to your library. New versions is where things get blurry, and whether or not 5.09 vs 5.10 is a new version vs. updates/corrections is debatable. While my preference would be to update the library with the "corrected" version (and that is a very loaded word in this context!), I feel that it would be a good thing to do but not necessarily a required thing to do.

And finally - I too am looking forward to the next iteration, and hope that it becomes an actual playable system. While I really love the BBB, and enjoy going through it, the lack of index and its, err, interesting, organization makes its a voyage of new discoveries every time I do open it.

And yes, I will pay for yet another version to have that. As I've previously noted, I am sadly addicted to both Kickstarter and Traveller, and when they coincide, there is about a 0% probability I can NOT do it (even did the Mongoose JTAS and I have all the originals...I believe I need to join Kickstarter Anonymous as well as Traveller Hoarders Anonymous!)

In my opinion and this is strictly IMO.
5.1 is definitely a NEW version. \More content, revision of rules, and significant errata fixed.
So new rules, new content iff in the basic books then it is a new edition.

:coffeegulp: :CoW: :coffeesip:

Last edited:
Writing as someone that purchased T5 after it was released and received 5.09...

5.09 is an embarrassment. It doesn't even have an accurate table of contents. The book goes down hill from there. I have never been more dissatisfied by a rpg purchase in my life, and feel like I was cheated out of my money. I have never complained however given Marc's health issues and the ongoing "promise" that a fixed version would eventually come out. So I sit and wait patiently.

If FFE takes money from people and doesn't give them a product, then they need to either return the money or fix it. 5.10 may or may not be the fix - I haven't seen it.

Last edited:
In my opinion and this is strictly IMO.
5.1 is definitely a NEW version. \More content, revision of rules, and significant errata fixed.
So new rules, new content iff in the basic books then it is a new edition.

:coffeegulp: :CoW: :coffeesip:

IMO a new version should be called T6.

Personally, I've felt since the start (initial KS release) that it needed revised, and have yet to feel otherwise, so I'm hoping 5.1 leads me to at least feeling like I have a system I can use without needless confusion (which is how I've felt, and I know not everyone agrees with that).

But, I am someone who is always rooting for a redemption arc, and I'm happy to wait knowing there's an update coming, but I'll be miffed if existing buyers of any level don't get the 5.1 PDFs.

Personally T5.09 did all the wrong things in all the wrong places and wasn't a step forward. Who knows where T5.1 will land. I've got it on good authority that a moose won't be more effective against tanks than a plasma cannon this time around.

Now if only the rules don't allow you to mount a moose or plasma cannon on a tricycle...

Now if only the rules don't allow you to mount a moose or plasma cannon on a tricycle...
You...you say that as if it's a bad thing.

We've all heard the stories of Wehrmacht troops pushing their plasma cannon laden tricycles through the French countryside towards the Atlantic, with their stores in horse drawn carts.

Writing as someone that purchased T5 after it was released and received 5.09...

5.09 is an embarrassment. It doesn't even have an accurate table of contents. The book goes down hill from there. I have never been more dissatisfied by a rpg purchase in my life, and feel like I was cheated out of my money. I have never complained however given Marc's health issues and the ongoing "promise" that a fixed version would eventually come out. So I sit and wait patiently.

I have copies of most rule books of each edition of Traveller. I'm happy with MgT. But when I saw how big the hardback of T5 was and with the dense multiple tables of numbers. I wasn't interested at all in getting it.

I think the rulebook needs to be edited down to a players book and a referees book each of about 300 pages with minimal errta and an index before I get them. Marc should look at the D&D PHB for comparison for size etc. and get a professional editor to cut the book down into 2 decent books. Just my two credits...trying to give helpful suggestions.

Plus I'm disappointed with the lack of setting material for T5.

I think the rulebook needs to be edited down to a players book and a referees book each of about 300 pages with minimal errta and an index before I get them. Marc should look at the D&D PHB for comparison for size etc. and get a professional editor to cut the book down into 2 decent books. Just my two credits...trying to give helpful suggestions.

T5.1 is going to be three books of about 300 pages each, all in a slipcase.
See image here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwXPXOpHG2g/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I believe a separate Player's Book is still planned subsequent to this release.

Back