• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Tigress class dreadnaughts

Try some Vilani names or even Vargr for those in the Antares service. Other languages could be Russian, Chinese too.
The name of the kashan is derived from its Vilani name:
That's a very good point. For new hitherto unknown species Terran taxonomers could easily turn to the Vilani names. "This great cat diverged from the Sylean Lion some 250,000 years ago, but it's definitely a distinct species by now. What did you say it was called? Kaadshanashkhaa? Bit of a jawbreaker that. We'll call it a kashan. Taxonomic name: Panthera kashan. That'll do.
But these are names of Imperial starships. They would predominantly be in Anglic, the official language of the Third Imperium. Or is Vilani officially a co-equal language? If it is, I suppose I could justify rolling up scores of Vilani names. But that's really rather boring, IMO, so I probably won't. If someone else wants to do it, however, I wouldn't mind. I'm currently about 135 names short of a full list, so knock yourself out, if you like.

Per GT:Starships
"...Batrons are usually assigned one per sector."
That one is straight out of Fighting Ships.

Per MgT
"...capable of defeating an entire enemy fleet."
One squadron of Tigresses a match for 8-10 squadrons? I think that's hyperbole. A match for two or three squadrons costing about the same in total as one Tigress squadron, sure (assuming that combat favors the larger ship, of course ;)), but I suspect not an entire fleet.

Hans

The name of the kashan is derived from its Vilani name:
But these are names of Imperial starships. They would predominantly be in Anglic, the official language of the Third Imperium. Or is Vilani officially a co-equal language? If it is, I suppose I could justify rolling up scores of Vilani names. But that's really rather boring, IMO, so I probably won't. If someone else wants to do it, however, I wouldn't mind. I'm currently about 135 names short of a full list, so knock yourself out, if you like.

That one is straight out of Fighting Ships.

One squadron of Tigresses a match for 8-10 squadrons? I think that's hyperbole. A match for two or three squadrons costing about the same in total as one Tigress squadron, sure (assuming that combat favors the larger ship, of course ;)), but I suspect not an entire fleet.

Hans

There is a quick name generator, but it really depends where the 3I builds them. And i see no reason for the Admiralty not to be open to naming them after Vilani discovered pouncers. If I get time...

I agree with the combat assessment, but as mentioned, I never did MgT combat so your assumption is as good as mine.

Wow, that must be a radically different space combat system.

Torpedoes Away! :toast:

:rofl: Yeah. I agree, if we're talking a planetary navy fleet with an old battleship, few destroyers and SDBs. I try to be supportive, but writers need to a bit cautious.

There is a quick name generator, but it really depends where the 3I builds them.
Not if, as I assume, the names are generated by someone at the Admiralty. It is, of course, theoretically possible that the REMFs at Admiralty will have the tact and sensitivity to assign the Vilani names to ships being built in Vilani shipyards, but since when did REMFs display tact and sensitivity? ;)

And i see no reason for the Admiralty not to be open to naming them after Vilani discovered pouncers.
Cat-like pouncers. No reason at all. But you missed my point. Those Vilani-discovered cat-like pouncers will have Anglic names, translations from the Vilani, in addition to their original Vilani names. And so far I've assumed that the Anglic version is the one the Admiralty would use. Such as 'kashan' (female form 'kashaness') instead of 'kaadshanashkhaa' (female form '<appropriate Vilani prefix>-kaadshanashkhaa').

If I get time...
Feel free.

BTW., anyone know how the feminine is formed in Vilani? What would be the word for tigress, for instance?

Hans

Not if, as I assume, the names are generated by someone at the Admiralty. It is, of course, theoretically possible that the REMFs at Admiralty will have the tact and sensitivity to assign the Vilani names to ships being built in Vilani shipyards, but since when did REMFs display tact and sensitivity? ;)

Cat-like pouncers. No reason at all. But you missed my point. Those Vilani-discovered cat-like pouncers will have Anglic names, translations from the Vilani, in addition to their original Vilani names. And so far I've assumed that the Anglic version is the one the Admiralty would use. Such as 'kashan' (female form 'kashaness') instead of 'kaadshanashkhaa' (female form '<appropriate Vilani prefix>-kaadshanashkhaa').

Feel free.

BTW., anyone know how the feminine is formed in Vilani? What would be the word for tigress, for instance?

Hans
femine? only for humaniti per Eaglestone without checking CT, etc.
We (Americans) have numerous European (French, for example) names not translated. Do it as you see fit, but I think Galactic is probably a bit of a mix.

We (Americans) have numerous European (French, for example) names not translated.
Names for animals? Could you give some examples? Why would you use a French name for an animal? French-derived, sure, but surely the word would be American.

Hans

Names for animals? Could you give some examples? Why would you use a French name for an animal? French-derived, sure, but surely the word would be American.

Hans

Here are a few. Pronuciation is essentially different. Hard to say who discovered them first. There is no reason to assume a mixed culture (Terran/Vilani) would not interchange words (English/French Canada).
Leopard - le léopard
Lion - le lion (luh lee-ohn)
Jaguar - le jaguar

At some point you run out of names and either change the naming convention or start borrowing from fiction, or you make them up.

Treecatrix

At some point you run out of names and either change the naming convention or start borrowing from fiction, or you make them up.
Perhaps, but I'm assuming that when the [Office of Naming] ran out of Terran and Terran-descended great cats, they turned to alien animals that resembled great cats closely enough to have been given names that reflected the similarity. The graymalkin of Arden (not canon) might thus provide the name Graymalkiness.
Graymalkin (Felinoida graymalkin): A large felinoid carnivore/pouncer belonging to the Parafelidae family of Sphere Arden, native to Arden/Vilis (Spinward Marches 1011).

Treecatrix
Thank you VERY much for that suggestion! I'd forgotten about that suffix. For some reason I find '-catrix' much more euphonious than '-catess', so that opens up for the use of great cats whose names end in 'cat', like Bobcatrix

Hans

You might also see them start to name ships after specific individual famous big cats, or even to abandon class naming conventions entirely.

Yeah. I agree, if we're talking a planetary navy fleet with an old battleship, few destroyers and SDBs. I try to be supportive, but writers need to a bit cautious.

Hmm, don't forget the Imperium Navy probably uses a different rules set for it's wargames and HG wargames rules were obviously released to encourage
potential opponents to come out and fight rather than run away.

Try using Mongoose High Guard rules and see the difference...

Kind Regards

David

The OTU was deliberately changed so that HG2 could become the new paradigm for how ships work.

If your rules do not produce the same results they don't model the OTU but some strange ATU.

:CoW: :devil:

The OTU was deliberately changed so that HG2 could become the new paradigm for how ships work.
I don't think so. The crucial descriptions of cruisers and battleships that define the paradigm for how ships work in the OTU (in FS) postdates HG. It's unfortunate that the HG rules are incapable of emulating that paradigm, but that's the way it is.

If your rules do not produce the same results they don't model the OTU but some strange ATU.
Exactly the other way around, unfortunately.

Hans

Last edited:
I don't think so. The crucial descriptions of cruisers and battleships that define the paradigm for how ships work in the OTU (in FS) postdates HG. It's unfortunate that the HG rules are incapable of emulating that paradigm, but that's the way it is.

Exactly the other way around, unfortunately.

Hans

Hans. But if OTU is not emulating a real world situation, it is still OTU and any variant is still an ATU. However, I think ATUs are a good thing in general. They are suppose to be improvements after all.

The library data entries are entirely consistent with combat played out using HG2 - especially since they are written from the Imperium's point of view.

The OTU was described by the rules in LBB1-3, LBB5 changed the paradigm and hence the OTU, then Library Data was written under this new paradigm. The descriptions of battleships and cruisers therein are entirely consistent with HG2 designed fleets playing out engagements pre-FFW.

The only way you can disprove this is to design fleets at the appropriate TLs, conduct the combats using HG2 rules and come to a different conclusion.

Hans. But if OTU is not emulating a real world situation, it is still OTU and any variant is still an ATU.
The question is what is the OTU and what is the ATU, the worldview expressed by the setting material or the worldview expressed by the rules. I believe the setting material trumps the rules. Of course, it would be best if there were no difference between the two, but if there is a difference (as I believe there is), the setting prevails.

Back