• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Traveller 40th Anniversary Set!

Sign me up for a nice, glossy hardcover of TTB. :cool:
Just don't use that lame cover-art of the Vargr in the member's only jacket. :nonono: Simply jet-black -- like the cold, unforgiving depths of space -- would suffice.

Real books.

Ever see the D&D anniversary edition? I would have bought two if they hadn't been so hard to get hold of...

I would do a collectors edition and a more available general edition.
Traveller is not D&D.

I disagree, the interest in OSR is pretty strong and thre is always interest in Traveller when it is asked about on other rpg sites.
There is no Traveller Renaissance going on. What you see online about Traveller is it. The OGL crowd is barely a blip. There is no rush of products or buyers out there for Not-Traveller (NT).

Traveller is not D&D.
Never claimed it was or is. :)
It was a question about the anniversary edition of D&D.

There is no Traveller Renaissance going on. What you see online about Traveller is it. The OGL crowd is barely a blip. There is no rush of products or buyers out there for Not-Traveller (NT).
We obviously frequent different rpg sites. :)

Last edited:
I think I was the first to post about the availability of the pod TTB...
yes, I know about them.

I want a CT 40th anniversary set.

MWM could find some old box sets - he still has a few - stick a 40th anniversary sticker on it, sign it, throw in some T5 dice and a couple of noble patents and I would buy it.

Last edited:
Real books.

Do you know about FFE's hardcopy prints of the Traveller books? Those are quite real, and are available for not too expensive at all.

As far as I know, they do not publish a "Little black book". They did some reprints long ago, and still have some (I'm assuming legacy) stock. But those aren't the 5x8 books, rather they were 8.5x11 books, 2 pages side by side.

They never were attractive to me, as they looked awkward.

I actually wrote a little program once that took the LBB PDFs, and reorded the pages to be printed in such a way that then printed 2 pages per page, double sided, and then cut in the middle, I would have had LBB 1-3 in a single volume. I was thinking to take that to Kinkos and have them stick a card cover on it and spiral bind it.

Make 2 volumes: 1-4 and 5-8.

Or publish a PDF to a "print on demand" company that can make something like that.

You can get a "perfect bind" printing on line for about $25.

I'm not a big fan of perfect bind printing for something like this, though. It's fine for reading, but not for laying flat on the table. The 5x8 format is too small to make it work, unless you can do it like O'Reilly used to do for its books. Those seemed to have a more flexible back.

I actually wrote a little program once that took the LBB PDFs, and reorded the pages to be printed in such a way that then printed 2 pages per page, double sided, and then cut in the middle, I would have had LBB 1-3 in a single volume. I was thinking to take that to Kinkos and have them stick a card cover on it and spiral bind it.

You did it the hard way - you can enter the pages into the in Acrobat (and have been since the mid 90's version)...

so, for a 48pp, 2-up, double sided short edge, "1,48,47,2,3,46,45,4,5,44,43,6,7,42,41,8,9,40,39,10,11,38,37,12,13,36,35,14,15,34,33,16,17,32,31,18,19,30,29,20,21,28,27,22,23,26,25,24"

since about 2002, one can just "booklet print" the PDF.

I don't know if that page is up to date. I went to buy a copy of FFE0000 and when I was taken to Paypal the cost wasn't $10, but $12. I emailed FFE to see what the current status is, so stay tuned...

When I bought mine I had assumed the extra two bucks was for shipping.
But it was a while ago, so I might be remembering the details incorrectly. Or I might have assumed incorrectly.

Last edited:
I don't know if that page is up to date. I went to buy a copy of FFE0000 and when I was taken to Paypal the cost wasn't $10, but $12. I emailed FFE to see what the current status is, so stay tuned...

It is not up to date: the cost is $12/book, plus shipping.

Some sort of 40th Anniversary version would be great.

Looking forward, a "Galaxiad Sourcebook" would be nice to advance the timeline and get a step past cryptic hints.

Both would be fabulous, but that's a big commitment for one person to produce, I know, especially as the anniversary year is about 1/3 over at this point.

For that matter, a "Player's Book" was supposed to be part of the original Kickstarter, that would be nice too.

For the 40th edition, I think I'd just want a box set with the original art, Free Trader Beowulf, with a diagonal red banner in one corner stating in white, 40th Anniversary Edition. Inside I'd like all eight of the classic little black books.

72wy9u.jpg

Box sets for the supplements, journals, and adventures would be nice.

How is the quality of the POD stuff through DriveThru? Is is equivalent to that of Lulu? Worse? Better? I don't want to get TTB in HC if it is going to fall apart once I open it up (and yes, the quality of POD books is usually shoddy).

How is the quality of the POD stuff through DriveThru? Is is equivalent to that of Lulu? Worse? Better? I don't want to get TTB in HC if it is going to fall apart once I open it up (and yes, the quality of POD books is usually shoddy).

My copy feels very good and durable. They are also quick to replace if you find defects in manufacture.

Back