• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller Minis!

Which 12 Traveller minis would you like to see produced first?

• System Defense Boat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SDB Detachable Jump Shuttle

• Small Craft-1 (Gig, Ship's Boat, Slow Boat, Pinnace, Slow Pinnace)

• Small Craft-2 (Launch, Cutter, Modular Cutter, Shuttle, Fighter)

• Asteroid Ship (Fittings to attach to a rock you find yourself)

• Xboat

• Xboat Tender

• Packet (new armed merchant)

• Clipper (new high jump merchant)

• Freighter (new merchant)

• Patrol Cruiser

• Aslan Family Trader

• Annic Nova

• Survey Cruiser

• Solomani Trader

• Total voters
Originally posted by bryan gibson:
this comes as no surprise- traveller as miniatures has never been a steller seller compared to other lines...

until someone produces a line of a more complete ship line , don't hoild your breath. For that matter, most companies that are producing minis do so to promote and support their own systems/settings. Traveller has never really done this on any real scale, as I recall. Plenty of the old martian minis and grenadier stuff...20 years ago!none in the last decade, and certainly no ships that i can recall.

fact is, Traveller consititutes a very small market share. When you have Warhammer players snapping up that stuff worldwide, who wants to invest in a niche market, especially a small one?
paragraph.gif
RAFM had a good line of ships (good=above average quality, far better than Martian Metals or Grenadier). I really was amazed by the variety of ship types they offered, to tell the truth. Currently, MegaMini's mold quality and detail is superior even to RAFM's.

paragraph.gif
IMHO, the problem with Traveller minis (since the 1990s) has been with their marketing. When the 2nd edition of Mayday came out, why not have included minis in the game itself? Same for Brilliant Lances. GDW really missed the ships boat on this, as these are the game formats which really require ship minis.

paragraph.gif
Failing that, why not market the adventure class ships in assortment sets of 3-5 pieces each. Another opportunity missed. Sure, the buyer might get a ship they didn't want now and then, but the volume of individual pieces sold would lower costs, and the overall product line would have been more stable (just as many Donosevs sold as Suliemans). RAFM could also have done this, and still kept the retail price at or around $25.

paragraph.gif
Many of those same RAFM minis are selling for more than than $25 apiece on eBay now, so you cannot tell me folks are unwilling to shell out the credits for them, niche market or not. Hopefully, MegaMiniatures can learn from RAFM's mistakes so as not to repeat them. Their quality is so highly superior, it would be a real shame if the line were discontiued. It is barely off the ground.
omega.gif

We may see some more Traveller minis. The FFE site does mention MegaMini miniatures, but has no link. They may be waiting to release more minis until T5 is out the door and into the hands of the fans.

I don't know, but I have heard...

That GZG wanted to do minis for Power Projection, but were told they could not have the rights. These of course would have be minis of ships the smallest of which would be a lot larger than "adventure class ships".

Is there any truth to this??

If so and GZG DID get the rights, perhaps they would do a larger scale line of adventure class ships??

One can always dream....

Originally posted by Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen:

If so and GZG DID get the rights, perhaps they would do a larger scale line of adventure class ships??
I think GZG would stick to fleet combatants: one would finally see minis od the heavy Planet-class cruisers and Tigress-class dreadnoughts I guess.

Originally posted by ElHombre:
Mark Siefert posted this on another thread. Ad Astra Games (makers of the Attack Vector: Tactical and Honor Hartington game SITS) are going to be making Traveller minis for FFE and BITS

Details at Starship Combat News
Now that's good news! For the first time ever, Traveller will have miniatures of the 3rd Imperium's major fleet combattants (plus the Zhodani's)!

I wonder if Ad Astra Games will continue the line of adventure-class ships AND adventurer figures (need more K'kree, you know ;) ).

Since I sold almost all my ship & figures minis, I'd be torn between ships & figures. I'd have to go with ships since I have plenty of 15mm & HO scale figures, not to mention all the micromachine Star Wars figures.

I admit I REALLY liked the RAFM minis for their detail. I don't have any of the Megaminis but they look nice from the pics. ;)

Patrol Cruiser, Mercenary Cruiser and Corsair would be high on my list.

However, that would really only be if I had a list. Not to throw cold water on the idea, but I have a lot of generic spaceships that I have painted up, and I am quite happy with them for Traveller gaming. I probably would not buy anything just because it was a Traveller trademarked ship, and would hate to see someone lose money on such a venture, if other gamers think like I do.

Maybe the better question is how many people would buy such a line, as opposed to the wet blankets like me who would just use Full Thrust, Silent Death, some of the really cheap plastic ships from Buck Rogers: Battle For the 25th Century, Twilight Imperium, or whatever.

Another possibility is to find ships from other systems that look sufficiently Traveller-like, and stat them.

Back