• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller Minis!

Which 12 Traveller minis would you like to see produced first?

• System Defense Boat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SDB Detachable Jump Shuttle

• Small Craft-1 (Gig, Ship's Boat, Slow Boat, Pinnace, Slow Pinnace)

• Small Craft-2 (Launch, Cutter, Modular Cutter, Shuttle, Fighter)

• Asteroid Ship (Fittings to attach to a rock you find yourself)

• Xboat

• Xboat Tender

• Packet (new armed merchant)

• Clipper (new high jump merchant)

• Freighter (new merchant)

• Patrol Cruiser

• Aslan Family Trader

• Annic Nova

• Survey Cruiser

• Solomani Trader

• Total voters
Well the scupltor/modeler should know, but then we don't know who that is. My best guess based on my attempt at accurizing the scale of the old type A mini for deckplans of the correct volume* is about 1:764 for this one. I have the Beowulf at 42m long on my deckplans, this being 55mm long, presuming the same general layout, and no error in my math. My question would be will all the new minis be to the same scale?

* My newish philosophy is that Traveller ship construction "tons" are mass not volume and always has been. But it's a tough adaptation to make after all the sweat of trying to make it work the other way for all these years

Well, not to hijack the thread (but I guess I am ;) ), and it's very last minute, but damn I missed that Cold Navy is having a sale that ends today. 20% off. So instead of waiting for 5 or 6 months I may have to buy me an early birthday present fleet
Hmm, which bank to rob
file_22.gif
Maybe I have something I can sell around here, like maybe, nah, I'm keeping my old Traveller minis a while longer :D

Price wise I guess the new Beowulf compares favorably with the Cold Navy ships, I'm just wondering if the casting quality is equal? The Cold Navy ships are very detailed (especially with the new caster) and I just don't see that in the Beowulf :(

Edit: And as Casey points out below, I didn't compare the sizes in my haste, which should drop the Beowulf to half or it should come as a two pack.

<sigh> too little time and not enough money :rolleyes:

Looks like near enough 1/1000 to me. The MT deckplans put the Beowulf at about 51m, the main body of the mini is just over 50mm.

Originally posted by far-trader:
Price wise I guess the new Beowulf compares favorably with the Cold Navy ships, I'm just wondering if the casting quality is equal?
Looks like the Beowulf costs twice as much as similar Cold Navy packs. One ships compared to 2 or 3 ships a pack at roughly the same price or cheaper.

It's possible it still could be a misprint but the other Mega Miniatures packs with multiple figures in them have a x 2 etc. by them.

Example Cold Navy pack picked for similar miniature length:
XHCN004 Masada Class Heavy Destroyer
Length: 60mm
Width: 17mm
Height: 21mm
1 piece per ship
2 ships per blister
$12.50 per blister MSRP

The Beowulf is listed as being 55mm long for $11.99 for one ship.

That's not what I'd call a favorable comparison.

Originally posted by Casey:
Example Cold Navy pack picked for similar miniature length:
XHCN004 Masada Class Heavy Destroyer
Length: 60mm
Width: 17mm
Height: 21mm
1 piece per ship
2 ships per blister
$12.50 per blister MSRP

The Beowulf is listed as being 55mm long for $11.99 for one ship.

That's not what I'd call a favorable comparison.
Yep you're right, I was typing and looking too fast last night and didn't compare size. Must edit my assessment above to agree with you. Can't wait for my CN Terran Fleet to arrive. I ordered it last night, why isn't it here already :D

Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
Looks like near enough 1/1000 to me. The MT deckplans put the Beowulf at about 51m, the main body of the mini is just over 50mm.
The SOM ones that put it well over 200tons displacement or require ignoring the given scale and (iirc) using the grid as 1m squares to get close? That one, after I accurized the scale came out to about 48m long so maybe your ballpark 1/1000 scale does sound good. Making several assumptions of course.

Yeah what's up with that vertical fin on the model anyway? It's never been in any of the previous pictures unless I'm forgetting something. Makes it look 50s Detroit imo. Not a good thing in my book but I guess somebody likes it.

This whole scale issue and volume error and deckplans not fitting the model is stupid. It should be done right imo. If it's just for a space battle sim, fine, we don't need scale accuracy or compatible deckplans, but this is supposed to be an RPG where such stuff does (or should) matter. Ah, hell, it bugs me is all. Maybe I'm the only one.

What material would these ships be made of? Plastic would be durable. Not to mention light weight.

At the above stated scale, how big would a Kokkirak dreadnaught be? A Tigress dreadnaught? An Azhanti Class Cruiser? I realize that they aren't choices in this survey, but what if you decide to go further?

If my 1.5 inch long far trader is ever in a situation with a dreadnaught, should I just go outside and place it alongside my car?

My Mega Miniatures “Beowulf SHIP” finally arrived and I am very pleased to have it on my desk. There is a list of Pro’s and Con’s, but the sheer joy of this pewter NEW Traveller mini outweighs anything negative!

Pro:
New Release!
Unpainted, as all minis should be.
Stretched design, to better reflect deck plans?
Very fine detail displayed on hull.
Very little in the way of flash or visible mold lines.

Con:
$12 US for one ship.
Stand could be more robust.
New scale used, means I will have to buy all new ships. (I already pre-paid for the Scout/Courier so this issue obviously did not stop me.)
Odd “rudder” looking fin set between maneuver drive exhausts.
Some minor pitting needs a little dremel work.

Overall, I am a Happy Camper.

Never mind. I found them on the Paizo Publishing site.

They also have preorders available for the Scout/Courier, the Pinnaces, and a five pack of Droyne figures!

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
1/1000 is good to me. Now mt Free trader can fight the Polar Lights Enterprise or Klingon d-7 crusier (hehe)
That sounds like a good idea. At $12 for the Beowulf, I am saving now for the Azhanti High Lightning (and the pickup truck to get it home in)

I was in contact with them a few months ago. They then advertised the fat trader for release, but it got pulled. I asked why and they answered it was something with quality control.

They have (had?) plans for some Vargr minis, but I haven't seen anything yet. If you go to FFE's web site you see the miniature link is gone.
Megaminis als informed me that Travelelr was their slowest selling product line. If you look at Ebay their store there has hardly sold any units at all. http://stores.ebay.com/MegaMiniatures

this comes as no surprise- traveller as miniatures has never been a steller seller compared to other lines. Minitures of figs always did okay, at best, but when it comes to ships? well, once you've bought a beowulf, or a scout, what else is there?

until someone produces a line of a more complete ship line , don't hoild your breath. For that matter, most companies that are producing minis do so to promote and support their own systems/settings. Traveller has never really done this on any real scale, as I recall. Plenty of the old martian minis and grenadier stuff...20 years ago!none in the last decade, and certainly no ships that i can recall.

fact is, Traveller consititutes a very small market share. When you have Warhammer players snapping up that stuff worldwide, who wants to invest in a niche market, especially a small one?

Back