• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Type W Barge

any realistic LL4+ TL9+ is going to catch 99.999% of such before it ever loads, Jeff. It takes a real slack security or some level of crew collusion to smuggle aboard, assuming airport style security.

Originally posted by Aramis:
any realistic LL4+ TL9+ is going to catch 99.999% of such before it ever loads, Jeff. It takes a real slack security or some level of crew collusion to smuggle aboard, assuming airport style security.
Trues, put still well within the realm of possibility for an adventure.

Jeff, I'm quite taken by your Type W. Before I finally cruised over here and saw the specs, I assumed it would be a low-budget large-volume freighter. Imagine my surprise at your effective use of a 100 ton hull. However, I would think (maybe this is an IMTU) that the Type W might be a specification for any ship that is primarily a low-cost cargo hauler:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> The Type W Barge has an economic specification:
low performance characteristics (M1, J1)
low passenger-to-crew ratio </pre>[/QUOTE]I would then say that the Type W "Hopper" is your 100t design.

Playing around with the design, (particularly if you have gearhead tendencies) I'd suggest trying it out with an 0.5G maneuver drive, thus freeing up two more tons of space (one from the M-drive, one from fuel). Of course, all ship designs are plus-or-minus 10%, so the change really falls beneath the approximation threshold, but it's yet another annoying factor for those bargain basement starships.

I'd also suggest trying it out with a 100t planetoid hull, just for kicks.

And without further ado, the 10,000 Type W "Brock":

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> Hull Vol MCr

Planetoid 10000 5
(free space) 8500
J-1 500 500
M-0.5 50 150
P-1 200 400
fuel 1050 -
Bridge 20 -
ECS package 1 1
16 staterooms
(crew/dbl occ) 64 8
4 ELB 4 2
Hangar 150 15
Shuttle* 95 3

Cargo 6366 1094 (new)

* The shuttle functions as a lifeboat and as a fuel skimmer.</pre>[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by robject:

And without further ado, the 10,000 Type W "Brock":

I really like this design. I only have a single suggestion that would apply to the operation of the ship. Instead of using the shuttle to fuel skim, which would take a long time - have the whole ship refuel from a comet or ice asteroid instead. The crew will be put to work mining the ice and it would go into the tanks as unrefined, but it would keep the ship out of obvious danger zones like gas giants where hostiles might lurk.

Originally posted by Aramis:
Or someone willing to take a kickback or be 'leveraged' in the SPA. I mean, no one has ever identified smuggling rings involving airport security or pilots, now have they? ;)

If SPA are crewed by essentially minimum wage employees with variable standards of training and familiarity with their tech kit and ops procedures, there is at least a chance that even well equiped (from a technical point of view) systems could be insecure - due to the human factors (incompetence, slackness, corruption, poor training, etc). And there may be labour dissatisfaction, etc.

And smuggling isn't viewed (in some cases) as absolutely awful (relative to bombs/terrorism/etc).

Insystem Barge (Type W0)
Medium-sized spaceship.
TL 9, MCr 10, 100 tons.

This is a variant of the Type W. Designed to service short-distance insystem needs (such as prospectors and secondary colonies), the Type W0 is a Barge with the jump drive removed, and the excess fuel tankage converted to cargo space.

It has a 65 ton cargo capacity, and costs MCr10.

Insystem Barge
Class: Starship, Type W0
Jump Range: no jump drive
Fuel: 2 tons
Cargo Space: 65 tons
Cost: MCr10

The rest of its stats are per the typical Type W.

This kind of ship is really only useful for distances up to 4 AU, unless you install a 2G maneuver drive, in which case your useful range extends to 8 AU.

Barge%20final%20copy1.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, the Type W Barge courtesy of Bryan Gibson. An ugly bus that only its owner could love.

I finally got my exterior views!! Huzzah!!

Kaladorn: Any crew worth their salt is not going to trust the security forces of the port. In some modern airports, the "behind the wall" section has a spot for the screener to be overseen by an airline employee; in some airports, the facilities are present for separate xray for each airline, as the airline's own staff would run it.

It would not surprise me at all if normal screening occured at both on- and offload. On-load screening overseen jointly by the Purser and the SPA.

And I have heard of smugglers, and of them getting busted, in the local airport. One of them was even shown on the news after his arrest.

Originally posted by Jeff M. Hopper:
Ladies and gentlemen, the Type W Barge courtesy of Bryan Gibson. An ugly bus that only its owner could love.

I finally got my exterior views!! Huzzah!!
Man .... that really *is* ugly.
I LOVE it! :D

Please pardon the expression but, "I ache to give this ship as a mustering out *benefit* to any PC. Or better yet, *allow* them to purchase this magnet-for-adventure (read disaster)."

Seriously, this is one ugly and believable ship. Bryan Gibson never fails to impress and delight. Well done to all parties involved in this ship design process!

Originally posted by Burocrate:
Please pardon the expression but, "I ache to give this ship as a mustering out *benefit* to any PC. Or better yet, *allow* them to purchase this magnet-for-adventure (read disaster)."

That was one of the original purposes for the design, as a mustering out benefit for PCs. Based upon the price, there are about 3 Barges for every Scout/Courier in known space (that would be 45,000 to 90,000 in the Imperium and about 3000 in the Spinward Marches). If you do give it as a mustering out benefit, I'd suggest giving it completely paid off - you can always remove the players wealth by having them pay for excessive maintenance and repairs instead of ship's bank loan payments.

Back