• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

U.S. WW 2/ Imperial Marines

Originally posted by Telsor:
I think you've nailed it OZ, except for the recon by point man.

I think a high tech UAV would be used...think a tiny, self propelled ball with cameras/sensors, always looking around the next corner ( more likely 2-3 corners ahead, so if they attract grenades, the marines are safe. )

Come to think of it...Send these in before the marines even enter and use them to gain as much intel as possible before the troops are deployed.

Of course, closed doors would limit them, but anything that adds to the information the commander has before he deploys his troops is bound to be used ( unless there is some kind of time constraint ).
I agree: the Marines would use UAVs as much as possible. There was just such a device written up in a JATS article once, IIRC.

Really small ones could infiltrate through air ducts, cracks in the hull from damage, all kinds of ways.

Of course, if you're boarding an enemy ship with it's own Marines, they'll have UAVs of their own to use against you.

It might be possible for such micro-vehicles to carry weapons too, or perhaps manipulators to operate doors or other controls. Any advantage might be useful.

UAVs as recon? Nice! Never thought of that... Thanks for the link, Bmonnery, it seems to capture the original equipment of CT marines (sans Battledress and cutlasses); it doesn't, however, mention UAVs (that or I overlooked it). UAVs will eventually get their own topic.

Originally posted by Jame:
UAVs as recon? Nice! Never thought of that... Thanks for the link, Bmonnery, it seems to capture the original equipment of CT marines (sans Battledress and cutlasses); it doesn't, however, mention UAVs (that or I overlooked it). UAVs will eventually get their own topic.
Balls, never made it into the article by the looks of things, but it was certainly discussed on the etranger list.

The parent page is http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dheb/2300/index.htm I suspect you'll like stuff like the USMC Raider Companies article ;)

Bryn

Oh-ho, yes, BMonnery (may I call you Bryn?), I _like_ it, Like it, _yes_ I do (gratuitous Rolling Stones!). I'd like to keep it! And I will...

I honestly can't remember the name, but I think it was "The 58 Days" or some such.
================================================
"55 Days At Peking." Captures the flavor of the era if not exactly historically accurate....quibbel quibble

Had the war continued a few more weeks New Orleans would have fallen (
=======================================
The war was already over before the battel was fought. Traveller lag time --- Treaty of Ghent 1814, Battle of NO, January 1815.

New Orleans is ungovernable...the French and Spanish learned that. Maybe one day the Feds will too.

One of the Ungovernables...

It's an interesting thing that cultural perspective brings.

From the American point of view 1812 was a demonstration of America's will to survive against the aggressive British Empire. (Never mind that they got handed their heads)

From the Canadian Perspective it was brave little canadian Militiamen protecting the young country from the evil American 'Manifest Desitiny' Oh.. and we BURNED the white house.(Never mind that MD is from a different point in history and that british regulars did all the real work (including burning the white house))

From the British perspective it was a stupid spot of bother while they were dealing with Napoleon. And it all would have been resolved anyway if they'd only had a transatlantic telephone back then.

Actually, the comparison between post-Revolution Marines and 57th Century Marines might have some benefits (no, I don't know what).

Even if we'd had transAtlantic telephone, what're the chances we'd've worked things out? Pretty slim, I'd say...

After a bit (read: not enough, same as with all else for most everyone else) of research, Traveller Marines seem to be equipped like somewhat higher-tech WW1 era British Tommies with Interwar American systems and maybe tactics.

Keep in mind that this is for the original CT version, Doug Berry's vision of them for GT is different.

The question ignored here is why Imperial Navy ships carry Marines in the first place....

Because sheep would be too obvious.

Originally posted by secretagent:
The question ignored here is why Imperial Navy ships carry Marines in the first place....

:eek: Now that's just...

file_28.gif
I can't even...

file_21.gif
No, no, not me, I wasn't laughing, its umm, a cough, yeah, a coughing fit, that's it, yeah...
file_22.gif

Gotta remember this for starting the requisite starport barroom brawl next game...
file_23.gif

(absolutely positively no real world insult intended by the above reply to members of any Navy or Marine force or sheep, so no flames right, its humor right
)

Originally posted by Garf:
From the Canadian Perspective it was brave little canadian Militiamen protecting the young country from the evil American 'Manifest Desitiny' Oh.. and we BURNED the white house.(Never mind that MD is from a different point in history and that british regulars did all the real work (including burning the white house))
The Aboriginals did their share of fighting and did a good job of it (Mohawks?).

I'm sure they let someone from Canada throw a match. But this is where (for the record) it *became* the White House, IIRC. (afterwards)

And the favour was returned - the Yanks burnt York at some point.

Now, if only we could once again arrange such a mutually beneficial reciprocal capital burning...

;)

From the British perspective it was a stupid spot of bother while they were dealing with Napoleon. And it all would have been resolved anyway if they'd only had a transatlantic telephone back then.
Or didn't tend to send gits to represent them to various countries....

Geez, make a simple comparison between the militaris of one real/historical and one entirely fictional and all I get is rampant nationalism. Oh, well. G-d! I take you to witness -I TRIED TO HAVE A COMPARISON!
file_28.gif
:D ;)
file_22.gif
toast.gif

Originally posted by secretagent:

"What do you thik the Argyles ate in Aden? Arabs?" :D

"What do you thik the Argyles ate in Aden? Arabs?"
=================================================
Reports of cannabalism in the Imperial Navy are greatly exagerrated.

MP's FC.

It becomes interesting in the after action report when the corporal in the squad NUKED a hard target on a planetary operation. If the imperial goons in maroon, the agents of the emperor are permanently re sculpting to surfaces of occupied worlds. The after party had better include alot of reparations and relocation coupons OR and extensive nuclear damper usage to render worlds livable again.

I'd think nuke-damper cleanup after the fact would be the default protocol.
The only time you'd deliberately leave hot craters and significant fallout accumulation areas would be for area denial, and that would mostly affect unshielded civilians rather than opposing forces.

I'd think nuke-damper cleanup after the fact would be the default protocol.
The only time you'd deliberately leave hot craters and significant fallout accumulation areas would be for area denial, and that would mostly affect unshielded civilians rather than opposing forces.

Why? The 3I makes the risks of imperial intervention known...
In agent, we see the imperium depopulate a world. Not once... several times. Different reasons.

Cleanup would be left for whomever repopulates them...

Back