• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Which version of Traveller for a high school gaming club?

Which version of Traveller for a high school gaming club?

• Classic Traveller

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • MegaTraveller

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Traveller: The New Era

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Marc Miller’s Traveller - T4

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • T20 - Traveller d20

• Hero Traveller

• GURPS Traveller

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Mongoose Traveller v1

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Mongoose Traveller v2

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Traveller5

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Other ( ? )

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Definitely a hybrid

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
Going by my own experience as a GM/Referee, I feel like the group and the game are certainly intertwined. And if the group were to outright reject any particular game it'd be an uphill effort ( one probably not worth pursuing ) just to establish a particular game. Things factor in here, but that's a pretty good general statement.

That being said, my original intent with this was to figure how to serve two goals at once: provide all the benefits we can name that come from roleplaying to school kids, and at the same time introduce Traveller to young people as a vehicle ( heh ) for the first thing. Traveller is definitely not the only game that could provide 'the benefits,' it might not even be the best in some cases, but those goals together were what I was sort of poking at.

The meta-goal being "how could someone best enable all this?"

It has been my experience that most groups are open to most games, although there are certainly exceptions. It's also been my experience that Traveller can be crafted to fully support a particular core activity. With Ref skill and a little luck this comes from a synthesis between the person running and the people playing; in that process there are also valuable lessons to be learned.

I've never assumed the Ref mantle for an existing group; I've always either formed the group myself from the ground up or started playing with players I was already familiar with. I imagine as a faculty advisor in a school situation you'd see instances of all diff types of situations.

Back