• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Why aren't XBoats automated?

Given that XBoats are used only for jumps between stops on the XBoat network, and no maneuver is possible, why does the boat need a crew? Can't the jump be programmed and the programmer leave the boat before the jump? Couldn't the jump even be programmed remotely? It seems wasteful, and potentially madness-inducing, to put a pilot on the boat.

Current explanation is that conscious sophont (biological) mind required for default jump transition.

So, no low passaged android chimpanzee.
That is a third party fanon made canon snippet from the same company that bings you cinematic Star Wars cartoon physics.

I'm not averse to the idea but it is contradicted by OTU canon.

OTU canon has many examples of robotic ships, and robots that can crew ships.

Astrogation - the ability to carry software cassettes from storage cabinet to server rack. Roll a routine task to avoid tripping, roll a routine task to secure the cassette, roll a routine task to press the big button. Any failure results in a catastrophic misjump which inevitably leads to the referee's contrived next adventure or alternatively a TPK.

Astrogation - the ability to carry software cassettes from storage cabinet to server rack. Roll a routine task to avoid tripping, roll a routine task to secure the cassette, roll a routine task to press the big button. Any failure results in a catastrophic misjump which inevitably leads to the referee's contrived next adventure or alternatively a TPK.
How very 1977

At what TL does the need for any human intervention or oversight become unnecessary? You'd imagine that would the be point at which the X-boats would be completely automated.
Come to think of it, that might be the point at which the network is automated (refueling, tending, data transfers, systems checks for exceptional servicing, etc)

The x boat is TL10 so there is your answer

TYPE X EXPRESS BOAT
X-51216 Express Boat X-1540041-000000-00000-0 MCr70.65 100 tons
Book 2 Design Crew=1 . TL=10.
Passengers=1 (possible). Low=O. Fuel=40. Cargo=1 (possible). EP=O. Agility=O.

The x boat is TL10 so there is your answer

TYPE X EXPRESS BOAT
X-51216 Express Boat X-1540041-000000-00000-0 MCr70.65 100 tons
Book 2 Design Crew=1 . TL=10.
Passengers=1 (possible). Low=O. Fuel=40. Cargo=1 (possible). EP=O. Agility=O.
The standard boat might be TL10, but that might not be the point at which everything can be handed off to drones/robots etc.

T5 lists the positronic brain turning up at TL12, so maybe that's the point at which the system starts to become fully automated, while the self-aware devices turning up at TL14 get to feel good having a sense of purpose keeping the Imperium connected.

XBoat crew aren't needed in the "flip switch to drop landing gear" sense of handling standard operations that the automation is incapable of doing.

XBoat crew are wanted in the event of mishap. One of those "in case of emergency, get crew" kinds of deals.
The (one person) crew is there as BACKUP for the automated systems. The crew oversees and double checks everything, as opposed to being the primary mover of everything that happens (In a "mother may I?" kind of way).

Think in terms of "automated by default, with manual override possible if necessary" ... rather than the reverse of "manual control by default with automatic safety overrides if necessary" that would be more common in ships and craft capable of flying freely.

Fun fact ... according to LBB2.77, when a power plant was not required for a jump drive ... a 100 ton XBoat could use a STANDARD HULL (15 tons for drives, 85 tons for everything else!) because Jump-B standard drives were (drum roll please) ... only 15 tons.

Jump-B = 15 tons
Maneuver-None = 0 tons
Power Plant-None = 0 tons
15 tons total drives

Fuel = 40 tons
Bridge = 20 tons
Computer model/4 = 4 tons (the /fib hadn't been "invented yet" at that point in CT)
Staterooms (2) = 8 tons
Cargo Hold = 1 ton

12 tons remaining (presumably augmented communications, extensive data banks)

Given that XBoats are used only for jumps between stops on the XBoat network, and no maneuver is possible, why does the boat need a crew? Can't the jump be programmed and the programmer leave the boat before the jump? Couldn't the jump even be programmed remotely? It seems wasteful, and potentially madness-inducing, to put a pilot on the boat.
Currently now it is like with trains, and such, the reason is culpability; I mean who ever did it would be liable if something goes wrong.

The tender could have precharged the jump capacitors, but the issue with that would be the need for continuous energizing the jump drive.

Not to mention life support.

OTU canon has many examples of robotic ships, and robots that can crew ships.
Could you please tell us some example?

I trust your knowledge, but the only roboted ship I remember from canon is in SotA, and not Imperial (though I have not seen all Traveller books). Nor that I am against the idea, as my own designs can show (specially the courrier drone, albeit I made it Zhodani just for the reasons here discussed)

Kinunir, Annic Nova, Vampire Fleets, 101 robots
Kinunir was not intended to work without a crew.

Neither Annic Nova nor the Vampire fleets are Imperial. I don't remember havign read 101 robots, so I cannot talk about it.

But, unless there are Imperial robotic ships there, we can still assume the Imperium laws requires sophont crew in the ships. Of coruse, this doesn't mind they are not possible, just they are not legal in the 3I...

Back