• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Why aren't XBoats automated?

Naw, I'm saying the problem with a remote pilot vs someone aboard is if the red light comes on after jump you're screwed
If the red light comes on DURING jump, you're probably screwed ALREADY ... since it's not as if you can "bail out" mid-jump.

Or can you ...? :unsure:
Might be just a simple fix... But if there's nobody aboard, it ain't happening
If it's a "simple fix" (as you say) then the automation and (redundant) backup systems can handle it.
If they can't ... the craft is almost certainly doomed already, regardless of whether or not there's an "audience" there to ride the disaster to conclusion.

0R6lZIa.gif

If it's a "simple fix" (as you say) then the automation and (redundant) backup systems can handle it.
If they can't ... the craft is almost certainly doomed already, regardless of whether or not there's an "audience" there to ride the disaster to conclusion.
Dunno.
I was reading the other day about one of the AmSats launched years ago that had stopped working. The diagnosis from the ground was that the battery which stored power from the solar panels had developed a short.
Several years go by... And it's suddenly working when it's in the sun side of it's orbit. They think the battery decayed to completely open, and now the solar goes straight to the electronics.

It's a "fix", of sorts, but the kind of thing that's an X Boat pilot could do with a pair of wire cutters... And one that the designers of the Sat never considered . Taking the battery completely out of the circuit isn't normally part of the plan

Similar issues with the Voyagers, where they've come up with remote work arounds, but 5 minutes of on site would have been a better solution.

Part of the handicap of discussions like this is we really don't know the details of how stuff works. What's likely to go wrong on an Xboat?
What's fixable that you can't preemptively put redundancies in so that you don't need a pilot? What's not?
What's the daily maintenance issues that make having someone aboard worthwhile?

We've got no hardware specs and we're just guessing. Worse, we're guessing with the knowledge that a Roman ship captain would have of a modern destroyer, or worse.

The Imperium ran X-boats with crew for centuries. Either there's a technical reason, or there's a strong tradition (Vilani?) That they can't psychologically overcome.
I have issues with the "sophont interaction with jump space" thing. I'd feel better with an explanation that didn't include that.

I reconcile decanonization of jump torpedos as "they didn't arrive at the destination often enough to be reliable", probably due to trying to cram everything into a small space with limited redundant systems.

I suspect you could run an X Boat with a TL13+ (by T5 rules) robot running the thing. You're dumping nearly a Mcr there though. T5 has skill 1 being paid about 500cr a month, call it 6kcr a year. That's 166 years before the robot breaks even. Even adding in life support costs, it's like 18 years to break even, and that's ignoring maintenance on the bot. If you go with anything over 4% or so of the price of the bot per year it never beats the sophont. A sophont is cheaper, and easier to find worlds with high enough TL to do maintenance.

But really, that's whistling on the way past the graveyard: the Imperium keeps putting people in them. Everybody else puts people in their couriers. The K'kree go out of their way to find people to do it.
If there was a way to skip the pilot, you'd think someone would have

Jump torpedo, I just figured it was a minimum volume to initiate a jump field issue. No jump small craft is a big thing.

Assume token attitude jets (as a minimum, cold gas thrusters, might be hypergolics, could even just be directing the exhaust from the power plant or equivalent). At typical 100D distances, should be enough to change a planetary impact into a close fly-by.

An autopilot could do it too though.
Note that the Shudasham Accords severely limit the use of Robots in the 3I, according to Book 8.

Automated systems couldn't do diagnostics and get their remote system drones to fix things? Maybe I watched too much Farscape...
This will be feasible with MgT rules and their repair drones (all my designed automated ships have them), but in CT/MT those did not exist (or at least, where not described when the X-boatwas designed)...

So, with the rules at hand when the X-boats were designed, the computer might diagnose the problem, but there will be no hands to fix it if no sophont was there (albeit LBB8 fixed it, this was quite latter)

Granting your assumptions, how can a pilot on the XBoat avert the accident?
By blowing up the ship first. Better one Scout die than that an inhabited planet experience an extinction level event. They can bail out in a Vacc Suit first and hope someone can pick them up. Why do you think CT Scout survival rolls are so high?

By the way I found another canonical robot ship - the robot scout in MT Robots (available from FFE via drivethru)
Its worth noting that it is not on the canon list on FFE for MT, but it is on the DTRPG catalogue list. It's a fan work allowed by Marc to be made available.

It's also relatively recent.

There are similarly a couple new MT adventures on DTRPG, but not on the PDF list for MT on FFE.

Back