• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Why do you hate the Virus

:)

Yeah, that is a bold and funny statement.

The more I think about it, the more appeal there is to a possible psionic component.

Given that, what if the Empress Wave was the next big shot of disinfectant made to wipe Virus?

I leave you to ponder...

The more I think about it, the more appeal there is to a possible psionic component.

Given that, what if the Empress Wave was the next big shot of disinfectant made to wipe Virus?

I leave you to ponder...

That thought has occurred to several on Marc's M1900 discussion list...:coffeesip:

I leave you to ponder...

It makes little sense. So, thousands of years ago an Empress sent a psionic message across the Galaxy (or at least in our direction) so that they could wipe out a silicon based lifeform that is causing 3I grief. Oh wait 3I is gone by this time. And they knew when to send it? And where? :rofl:

There are better ways to deal with Virus. Why does the Black Empire even exist if Virus is so unstable and unplayable? Why even have the K'Kree war in 1248. Because someone was re-writing OTU and looking for a fix all. And it didn't work. :confused:

Look COTI and other forums have been fighting over TNE for decades. It was a shotgun change to a beloved environment. It's over with. GDW should have come out with a string of options. But times we're tough and they had new competition.
They shook things up. Even Loren was onboard and then flipped when he went to Steve's company and saw a new opportunity. Times we're tough for Loren.

Those that don't like Virus should take the LTU or Rebellion only courses when they ref. Those that like Virus can continue to perfect it's usage. Virus is an option. A ref could take one strain "mother" and incorporate it into his campaign.

Threads like this are "great" for fixing OTU problems. I've seen perspectives here that had not occurred to me. But not re-writing the OTU. That's been done and makes a bigger mess as i tried pointing out in the TNE/Lorenverse history convergence thread. 1248 left a bigger disaster that requires hand waves for a ref to establish anything.

I am just saying, some people like it and some don't. We should identify the good and bad so refs can work through it. :cool:

Remember that 1248 is not what GDW had planned. There are lots of hints in Dave Nilsen's interview of what they had planned, and 1248 wasn't it.
Virus was designed to introduce - eventually - sentient machines into the setting because they had become a major sci-fi trope.
The empress wave was not a distress signal from some long post branch of ancient uplifted transplanted humans but was a meta plot way to raise the profile of psionics in the setting.

For the galaxiad I would invoke reality manipulation and just write the 1900 setting to show off the T5 rules and the TL20 they describe.

Remember that 1248 is not what GDW had planned. There are lots of hints in Dave Nilsen's interview of what they had planned, and 1248 wasn't it.
Virus was designed to introduce - eventually - sentient machines into the setting because they had become a major sci-fi trope.
The empress wave was not a distress signal from some long post branch of ancient uplifted transplanted humans but was a meta plot way to raise the profile of psionics in the setting.

For the galaxiad I would invoke reality manipulation and just write the 1900 setting to show off the T5 rules and the TL20 they describe.

I'm with you on this. Just jump over the mess and start with galaxiad.

Can you point us to where Dave Nilsen makes that statement of purpose for Virus?

Note that the LTU gives us AI w/o needing to pull a Virus.

Heck, CT gave us that already in Adventure 13.

Whatever it was, Virus wasn't an introduction to AI. It was Dave's tool to wipe out the Rebellion, which to him was morally repugnant. I remember him saying THAT.

Can you point us to where Dave Nilsen makes that statement of purpose for Virus?

Whatever it was, Virus wasn't an introduction to AI. It was Dave's tool to wipe out the Rebellion, which to him was morally repugnant. I remember him saying THAT.

Virus discussions started years before Dave. He was the implementer. And lets face it all of the GDW issues weighed heavy on Traveller. In MT04 there is an interview about how to end the Rebellion. I think it's a little off but the ideas we're out there prior to TNE.

Playing a god of a galaxy means that you can manipulate things to occur at a certain point on a certain spiral arm in what seems to be a happy (or messy) coincidence, n'est-ce pas?

I seem to remember reading (or perhaps inferring) somewhere that the Galaxiad FFF setting/timeline is intended to be far enough out that all that came before (tm) is a distant memory. Some people think that 1K years ago there was a nasty virus that ravaged charted space. Other people disagree and think that 1K years ago was an extended golden age.

That being the case, there really isn't a need to reconcile the timelines. Use whichever you prefer for YTU and move on. If you want to set your campaign in MT/HT/TNE/1248, then set it there. If you want to set your campaign in LTU, then set it there. If you want to set your campaign in Galaxiad, then set it there. If you set it in Galaxiad, you can decide which is right for YTU, or decide that different historians have different ideas on the matter (just like they do about the ancients).

Cheers,

Baron Ovka

I have gone though his Q&A session here and here are some key points:
On the subject of Virus:
So the initial concept came from Frank, we kicked it around for a long time, rejected it a few times and kept coming back to it, primarily for dramatic reasons

one of our explicit intentions with Virus, to allow machine life forms, and get past the question of "is it alive or is it a program?" And then of course the very next step would be the chance to have PC machines.

I think your phrase "up to date (so to speak)" is quite apt, as Traveller felt kind of funny being so futuristic without the artificial life forms that are so common in science fiction. And virus would allow us to redress that almost at a stroke.
And on the Empress Wave:

The Empress Wave concept was going to explore the relationship between psionic supraspace and Jspace as related phenomena along the same continuum.

The wave is the physical manifestation in Nspace of an upheaval in Jspace/supraspace starting at or near the galactic core, or more specifically, the interface or “membrane” between Nspace and Jspace/supraspace

In the long term it might have allowed an alternative House System science fantasy game set decades or centuries in an alternate Traveller future where thinking starships and “psionic knights” are able to storm Castle Anthrax. However it would have had no such impact on the TNE campaign.

Swords and blasters! Woo hoo!
"I am Ergo the magnificent. Short in stature, tall in power, narrow of purpose and wide of vision. And I do not travel with peasants and beggars. Goodbye!" Ergo - Krull (1983)

... and they said Traveller wasn't like Star Wars. ;)

"That's no moon, it's a massive virus infested living machine/station."

Really?
Let my first admit my own skimpy knowledge of MT (I have never played it or run it. I own a lot of CT stuff, and I once owned but never ran TNE).

I had thought that Rebellion was effectively over by the period depicted in Hard Times, because none of the factions had the strength to reunify the Imperium.

Back