• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Afhganistan's Law Level

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
Just explain that it is not a gun, but a "surgical device." No need to to explain that it does instant autopsies and reqauires no special training.

BTW, here in Texas carrying any blade 6"+ or a double edged 4"+ , or clubs, tomahawks, swords, spears, etc is illegal (except to and from "sporting events"). From the grumbling on Netsword and SwordForum, that is pretty universal in the US and Europe. Not even a carry permit will help.
A longarm (assault rifle, rifle, shotgun) is legal to carry openly in Texas, but if you start waving it around in a city, you're toast. On the other hand, driving through Massachusettes on the interstate highway with an unloaded shotgun in a locked case can get you jail time.

Now in Traveller I had a .350 (9mm) big game hunting rifle, custom made, a real work of art. It fired full-bore slugs from a five round clip, but extra clips with APDS or HEAP were easy to hide...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alaska is technically an "Open Holster State" for both guns and blades. (I've asked the local police. I've seen people arrested for concealed knives over 4" blade. I've checked swords at the door of bars. I've even been told by one barkeep/bouncer combo "Keep it on, and defend the dancers if need be."{even wilder, I needed to one night... free lap dances all night long...) Alaska law says that any federally legal weapon may be owned and carried, provided it conforms to local law, and is kept peace-tied and worn openly with three side visibility, or is kept in a locked case. Restrictions on where are in previous post.

------------------
-aramis
=============================================
Smith & Wesson: The Original Point and Click interface!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blue Ghost:
I heard Alaska's a pretty wild state.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

May be one; I've limited experiences outside Alaska that don't have a basis in Law Level 7+ (California, Los Disneys de Florida, and Ft. Dix NJ all were, when I got there, about LL7 or higher).

On the other hand, it just came out in the paper that it is illegal to operate a snowmobile without either a motorcycle licence or an automobile licence.

And out "Good Sam" law makes the licenced CPR/First Aid or better medics criminally and civilly liable if they DON'T stop to help, and grants _immunity_ to civil and criminal prosecution if training level isn't exceeded when they do stop.

Then again, 40% of the population lives in Anchorage. Overall, 60% live in cities. A good model for many traveller worlds.

------------------
-aramis
=============================================
Smith & Wesson: The Original Point and Click interface!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mjwest:

For law level, the US is a 6. Regardless of the legality, it is socially unacceptable to carry weaponry. Regardless of the state and regardless of the legality, if you walk around with a sword or six-shooter strapped to your waist, you are going to be hassled.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ever know someone in the SCA (Society For Creative Anachronism)? I've gone into grocery stores dressed as a 10th century Norseman, including approprite weapons, and had no problem shopping there. In fact, One time I had a little old lady walk up to me and ask me where the dairy section was located...I guess she figured I was an employee and it was "Viking Days" at that Albertsons.

smile.gif

Oh...last time I was in Wyoming, which I have to admit was probably about 15 years ago or so, I saw a couple people with revolvers on holsters, doing their shopping...then again, this grocery store also sold firearms, but again I digress. Here in Idaho, one does not see people wearing firearms in plain view, but on the other hand it's not that hard to get a concealed carry permit here.

Me

------------------
It is not I who am crazy, it's I who am mad!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blue Ghost:
I heard Alaska's a pretty wild state.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not wild, just that we DO believe in the 2nd amendment just as much as CA believs in the 1st. Note the rate of school shootings in Swizterland were all households have fully automatic weapons required for national defense.

Guess I wasn't clear.

Years back I took a writing class, and the guy sitting next to me was from Alaska. He went on about stories of local towns shooting it out with bike gangs, and how the local law enforcement folks waited until the shooting died down before moving in.

Whether he was BSing or not, I have no idea. It's like I said, I heard Alaska can be a pretty wild state.

Back