• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Combat Redux

Originally posted by Fritz88:
And, you wouldn't hide behind the NPCs (the police) IRL if it came to a shooting match?
file_22.gif
Most folks who complain about the deadliness of Traveller combat are really only concerned about deadliness to their own characters.
Exactly. CT combat is pretty realistic in terms of lethality - gunshots HURT big time in CT. An avarage 3D roll of 10-11 would render most CT characters unconscious (i.e. atleast one characteristic at zero) and might cause - for those with mid-low stats - serious medical issues (i.e. two characteristics at zero). Combat is short and bloody - so use cover, use tactics and use ambush - engage the enemy on your terms if possible, as is IRL.

My armor system makes armor VERY useful - it absorbs whole damage dice. As is IRL - a good ballistic vest will stop most pistol rounds.

And, you wouldn't hide behind the NPCs (the police) IRL if it came to a shooting match?
file_22.gif
Most folks who complain about the deadliness of Traveller combat are really only concerned about deadliness to their own characters.
Exactly. CT combat is pretty realistic in terms of lethality - gunshots HURT big time in CT. An avarage 3D roll of 10-11 would render most CT characters unconscious (i.e. atleast one characteristic at zero) and might cause - for those with mid-low stats - serious medical issues (i.e. two characteristics at zero). Combat is short and bloody - so use cover, use tactics and use ambush - engage the enemy on your terms if possible, as is IRL.

My armor system makes armor VERY useful - it absorbs whole damage dice. As is IRL - a good ballistic vest will stop most pistol rounds.

I see. Thanx for that I can see the ease of use with which it can be applied to other situations as well as combat.So far so good.

I see. Thanx for that I can see the ease of use with which it can be applied to other situations as well as combat.So far so good.

I'm thinking about dropping the dual armor values (ranged/melee) in favor for a single absorption number, ala T4. Sure, a bit less realistic, but even simpler.

I'm also thinking about creating one big bad list of weapons (from LBB1 and LBB4 plus my additions), giving the following data per weapon:
1) LBB1/LBB4-style range DMs (5 per weapon - Close, Short, Medium, Long, Very Long). You copy the relevant ones to your char-sheet.
2) Wounds Inflicted.
3) Armor Piercing.
4) Clip Size (if applicable).

In addition, I'll probably compile all the weapons' weights, prices, clip sizes and DEX/STR DMs into another table for the sake of convinience.

I'm thinking about dropping the dual armor values (ranged/melee) in favor for a single absorption number, ala T4. Sure, a bit less realistic, but even simpler.

I'm also thinking about creating one big bad list of weapons (from LBB1 and LBB4 plus my additions), giving the following data per weapon:
1) LBB1/LBB4-style range DMs (5 per weapon - Close, Short, Medium, Long, Very Long). You copy the relevant ones to your char-sheet.
2) Wounds Inflicted.
3) Armor Piercing.
4) Clip Size (if applicable).

In addition, I'll probably compile all the weapons' weights, prices, clip sizes and DEX/STR DMs into another table for the sake of convinience.

Lots of folks have mentioned hit location charts around these parts. It seems most (though not all) think it takes too much time or adds too many dice rolls.
I've adapted combat a bit in CT to where it's still damn deadly, but the PC's can still get in some fire fights (conflict is drama) and not be 100% slaughtered every time they do.

I've tried to find a good balance between the realism that Traveller affords and the action that players desire.

The method works pretty good so far in my game.

Lots of folks have mentioned hit location charts around these parts. It seems most (though not all) think it takes too much time or adds too many dice rolls.
I've adapted combat a bit in CT to where it's still damn deadly, but the PC's can still get in some fire fights (conflict is drama) and not be 100% slaughtered every time they do.

I've tried to find a good balance between the realism that Traveller affords and the action that players desire.

The method works pretty good so far in my game.

WJP, try using those ones (cutouts) that Scarecrow has put together. I think he has several sheets available by now.
Where do I get them?

I'd like to see 'em.

Why can't you make a copy of the deckplans, then put them on the cork board? Attach the cutouts to the pins, and you've got the best of everything.
Because I'm an idjut, and I never thought of that.

You're right. I should.

Last game session, I've got my out-of-print-hard-to-find Seeker deckplans all pinned out on my cork board. The game is over, so I put the cork board, face down, in the back of my truck, then throw some of my gaming boxes on top of it so that it doesn't blow out on the ride home.

I get home...and I lost one page of my damn deck plans. Shit. Shit. Shit.

There's 8 total pages, and one is gone now, blown somewhere on Houston's freeway.

Crap.

WJP, try using those ones (cutouts) that Scarecrow has put together. I think he has several sheets available by now.
Where do I get them?

I'd like to see 'em.

Why can't you make a copy of the deckplans, then put them on the cork board? Attach the cutouts to the pins, and you've got the best of everything.
Because I'm an idjut, and I never thought of that.

You're right. I should.

Last game session, I've got my out-of-print-hard-to-find Seeker deckplans all pinned out on my cork board. The game is over, so I put the cork board, face down, in the back of my truck, then throw some of my gaming boxes on top of it so that it doesn't blow out on the ride home.

I get home...and I lost one page of my damn deck plans. Shit. Shit. Shit.

There's 8 total pages, and one is gone now, blown somewhere on Houston's freeway.

Crap.

Surprise
At the beginning of every encounter, make an opposed Recon (or Leader)/INT task using the skill and the stat of the character with the highest Recon or Leader skill in each side. If no such skill is present, use a skill rating of 0 and no INT DM. Animals that aren't Pouncers or Trappers have an effective skill of 1D-4; Pouncers or Trappers have an effective skill of 1D. Under normal circumstances, if one side rolls 6 or more above the other side, surprise is achieved (see LBB1 pp.30-31 for effects). If an ambush has been laid out, the ambusher may achieve surprise at any roll higher than the roll of the quarry.

Encounter Range
Indoors, encounter range is usually determined by the Referee; outdoors, it should either be decided upon by the referee or determined by the rules presented in LBB1 p.31.

Avoiding an Encounter
A party that has surprise my avoid an encounter at will; Otherwise, roll a Recon/INT/-2 task to do so, with the following DMs:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">RANGE DM
Close N/A
Short -1
Medium +1
Long +2
Very Long +3</pre>[/QUOTE]Initiative
Initiative is an Opposed Tactics/INT task; use the stats of the character with the highest Tactics skill on each side; the winner's side goes first. If no Tactics skill is present, use a skill rating of 0, but no INT DM.

Making Attacks
Characters using melee weapons, hand-thrown weapons or single-fire ranged weapons may attack once per combat round; characters using most personal auto-fire weapons may attack twice per combat round (but both attacks must be on the same target OR on another target within Close range to it); characters using the Gauss Rifle, LMG, HMG or VRF Gauss Gun on auto-fire may attack three times per combat round (but both attacks must be on the same target OR on another target within Close range to it).

A Melee attack is a Skill/DEX/Range-DM task.

A ranged attack is a Skill/STR/Range-DM task.

"Skill" is the skill relevant to the weapon; Range-DM is the range-matrix DM. DMs for high or low Strength or Dexterity (LBB1 pp.34-350 apply as normal.

Autofire
Autofire-capable weapons are shown on the weapons charts with the two DMs in each column separated by a slash. The first DM is used when the weapon is fired semi-automatically; the second is used on full automatic fire settings. Characters using most personal auto-fire weapons may attack twice per combat round (but both attacks must be on the same target OR on another target within Close range to it); characters using the Gauss Rifle, Autocannon, LMG, HMG or VRF Gauss Gun on auto-fire may attack three times per combat round (but both attacks must be on the same target OR on another target within Close range to it).

Group Hits by Autofire
Non-evading targets within close range (1.5m) of the original target area are also attacked by the weapon's burst of fire. A DM of -3 is imposed to hit. From a normal four round burst, no more than two adjacent targets may be hit. From a ten round burst or greater (fired by Gauss Rifles, Autocannons, LMGs, HMGs and VRF Gauss Guns), four targets may be hit.

Group Hits By Shotguns
Each shot by a shotgun may attack up to three individuals within Close range to the original target. In addition, when firing against flying targets (winged animals, flying vehicles) within range, a DM of +2 is allowed. Note that this rule also applies to Flechette rounds fired in Long, Very Long and Extreme ranges and to High Energy Weapons (PGMPs and FGMPs) fired in Very Long and Extreme ranges.

Blast Damage
The High Explosive (HE) rounds of the LAG, ACR and Snub Pistol also damage all targets within Close range (up to 1.5m) of the main target with the regular AP, but only half the rolled damage. The High Explosive (HE) rounds of the Autocannon and all grenades also damage all targets within Short range (up to 6m) of the main target with the regular AP, but only half the rolled damage. Blast Damage and group hits (by shotguns/energy weapons/flechette/autofire) are cumulative.

Hand Grenades
Hand Grenades have no Range DMs; they may only be thrown at target in Medium range (or less if the character is suicidically heroic
toast.gif
). Hitting the target is a Throwing/DEX/+2 task to hit, have an AP of 4 and 6D damage, and do Blast Damage as described above to all targets within Short Range (6m0 of the primary target. If the task fails, the grenade scatters [mechanism?].

Throwing Blades and other Objects
Small blades (Dagger or Blade), spears, stones and other objects may be thrown on targets within Short or Medium ranges using a Throwing/DEX/+2 task in Short Range or a Throwing/DEX/-2 task at Medium Range. Stones (or similar small blunt objects) have an AP of 0 and cause 2D damage. Blades and spears use their regular AP and damage.

Tac Missiles
A Tac Missile is a TV-guided, man-portable missile; it uses a Launchers/DEX/0 task to hit anything within its range; DM -1 to -4 for a moving target (depending on speed), DM -2 for targets with ECM and DM -4 for targets with Extensive ECM. I'll create a table of Tac Missiles by TL, providing AP, damage and range.

Indirect Fire
Indirect Fire requires TWO task-throws: the gunner throws a Field Artillery/INT/0 task while the spotter rolls a Forward Obs/INT/0 task. If both succeed, the attack hits the target accurately; if only one succeeds, the shot scatters [mechanism?], unless he has rolled a Spectacular Success; if both fail, the shot hits an irrelevant location and is wasted. I'll detail artillery weapons later (along the lines of LBB4 pp.48-49).

Surprise
At the beginning of every encounter, make an opposed Recon (or Leader)/INT task using the skill and the stat of the character with the highest Recon or Leader skill in each side. If no such skill is present, use a skill rating of 0 and no INT DM. Animals that aren't Pouncers or Trappers have an effective skill of 1D-4; Pouncers or Trappers have an effective skill of 1D. Under normal circumstances, if one side rolls 6 or more above the other side, surprise is achieved (see LBB1 pp.30-31 for effects). If an ambush has been laid out, the ambusher may achieve surprise at any roll higher than the roll of the quarry.

Encounter Range
Indoors, encounter range is usually determined by the Referee; outdoors, it should either be decided upon by the referee or determined by the rules presented in LBB1 p.31.

Avoiding an Encounter
A party that has surprise my avoid an encounter at will; Otherwise, roll a Recon/INT/-2 task to do so, with the following DMs:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">RANGE DM
Close N/A
Short -1
Medium +1
Long +2
Very Long +3</pre>[/QUOTE]Initiative
Initiative is an Opposed Tactics/INT task; use the stats of the character with the highest Tactics skill on each side; the winner's side goes first. If no Tactics skill is present, use a skill rating of 0, but no INT DM.

Making Attacks
Characters using melee weapons, hand-thrown weapons or single-fire ranged weapons may attack once per combat round; characters using most personal auto-fire weapons may attack twice per combat round (but both attacks must be on the same target OR on another target within Close range to it); characters using the Gauss Rifle, LMG, HMG or VRF Gauss Gun on auto-fire may attack three times per combat round (but both attacks must be on the same target OR on another target within Close range to it).

A Melee attack is a Skill/DEX/Range-DM task.

A ranged attack is a Skill/STR/Range-DM task.

"Skill" is the skill relevant to the weapon; Range-DM is the range-matrix DM. DMs for high or low Strength or Dexterity (LBB1 pp.34-350 apply as normal.

Autofire
Autofire-capable weapons are shown on the weapons charts with the two DMs in each column separated by a slash. The first DM is used when the weapon is fired semi-automatically; the second is used on full automatic fire settings. Characters using most personal auto-fire weapons may attack twice per combat round (but both attacks must be on the same target OR on another target within Close range to it); characters using the Gauss Rifle, Autocannon, LMG, HMG or VRF Gauss Gun on auto-fire may attack three times per combat round (but both attacks must be on the same target OR on another target within Close range to it).

Group Hits by Autofire
Non-evading targets within close range (1.5m) of the original target area are also attacked by the weapon's burst of fire. A DM of -3 is imposed to hit. From a normal four round burst, no more than two adjacent targets may be hit. From a ten round burst or greater (fired by Gauss Rifles, Autocannons, LMGs, HMGs and VRF Gauss Guns), four targets may be hit.

Group Hits By Shotguns
Each shot by a shotgun may attack up to three individuals within Close range to the original target. In addition, when firing against flying targets (winged animals, flying vehicles) within range, a DM of +2 is allowed. Note that this rule also applies to Flechette rounds fired in Long, Very Long and Extreme ranges and to High Energy Weapons (PGMPs and FGMPs) fired in Very Long and Extreme ranges.

Blast Damage
The High Explosive (HE) rounds of the LAG, ACR and Snub Pistol also damage all targets within Close range (up to 1.5m) of the main target with the regular AP, but only half the rolled damage. The High Explosive (HE) rounds of the Autocannon and all grenades also damage all targets within Short range (up to 6m) of the main target with the regular AP, but only half the rolled damage. Blast Damage and group hits (by shotguns/energy weapons/flechette/autofire) are cumulative.

Hand Grenades
Hand Grenades have no Range DMs; they may only be thrown at target in Medium range (or less if the character is suicidically heroic
toast.gif
). Hitting the target is a Throwing/DEX/+2 task to hit, have an AP of 4 and 6D damage, and do Blast Damage as described above to all targets within Short Range (6m0 of the primary target. If the task fails, the grenade scatters [mechanism?].

Throwing Blades and other Objects
Small blades (Dagger or Blade), spears, stones and other objects may be thrown on targets within Short or Medium ranges using a Throwing/DEX/+2 task in Short Range or a Throwing/DEX/-2 task at Medium Range. Stones (or similar small blunt objects) have an AP of 0 and cause 2D damage. Blades and spears use their regular AP and damage.

Tac Missiles
A Tac Missile is a TV-guided, man-portable missile; it uses a Launchers/DEX/0 task to hit anything within its range; DM -1 to -4 for a moving target (depending on speed), DM -2 for targets with ECM and DM -4 for targets with Extensive ECM. I'll create a table of Tac Missiles by TL, providing AP, damage and range.

Indirect Fire
Indirect Fire requires TWO task-throws: the gunner throws a Field Artillery/INT/0 task while the spotter rolls a Forward Obs/INT/0 task. If both succeed, the attack hits the target accurately; if only one succeeds, the shot scatters [mechanism?], unless he has rolled a Spectacular Success; if both fail, the shot hits an irrelevant location and is wasted. I'll detail artillery weapons later (along the lines of LBB4 pp.48-49).

Originally posted by WJP:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fritz88:
Where do I get them?

I'd like to see 'em.
</font>[/QUOTE]Well, you'll have to scroll around in the thread to find the others, but here are some of his Aslan.

Sorry to hear about your deckplan, man. Bummer :(

Originally posted by WJP:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fritz88:
Where do I get them?

I'd like to see 'em.
</font>[/QUOTE]Well, you'll have to scroll around in the thread to find the others, but here are some of his Aslan.

Sorry to hear about your deckplan, man. Bummer :(

Back