• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Deck plans for...

Which rules edition would you most prefer

• Total voters
There isn't any way to distinguish the updated polls from actual new posts?

Nope.

Edit: Well, at least not without me learning a lot more PHP and SQL. And gutting the page display system.

Last edited:
Well the thread is updated now. ;)

BTW, I just voted for Other. T5 is my preference.

Cheers,

Baron Ovka

Deck plans for any rule set would be great; they're still fairly easy to port to any other, it's the inspiration that could always use a bit of a boost.

Right now, for my Heretical Traveller Universe, I am using Classic with a touch of Mongoose for alternative interstellar drives. I have modified Classic a bit.

Right now, for my Heretical Traveller Universe, I am using Classic with a touch of Mongoose for alternative interstellar drives. I have modified Classic a bit.

Updating the previous post, I am now working with a modified version of the Cepheus Engine for my new sector.

I like the design sequence of MT in spite of some errata issues. I'm into the details it provides over CT, though I find that the players didn't care so I could fudge occasionally.

I use Ships for Windows in the design process. I adopted its house rule on extended powerplant range, since it made sense for the plausibility and survivability of certain situations.

I used to draw my deckplans by hand, having had some vocational training in drafting in my youth. I should be using CAD these days, but it's rare that I have the time to devote to the learning curve. I couldn't even get a start in Blender...

Poor Chris Foss and T4.

I understand that T4 was not the best received version of Traveller ever. And I certainly understand Chris Foss' art caught a lot of people, (me included,) by surprise.

And, frankly, T4's Starships was not a particularly well-received product either. The deck plans it did offer, were very aaa... basic... to say the least.

But now, twenty years later, I personally wish the game had been better developed. I understand I'm coming to this party very late. But imagine background write-ups and deck plans for all the color starship artwork Chris Foss supplied T4. I think these would make very interesting places to adventure in.

mini-THE_SENTINEL_Foss.JPG

Perhaps I should do more with the Naval Architect's Manual, but it really only lends itself to extremely large ships. Which, I suppose, is not necessarily a bad thing. It just doesn't treat smaller ships with any sort of depth.

Last edited:
But now, twenty years later, I personally wish the game had been better developed.

yeah, it's a shame. but the traveller setting is physically and temporally vast, and traveller fans tended to acrue their own vision of the game in isolation. thus what "developments" that did occur were incompatible with each other. this is readily visible when even people on this board come together for a game, everyone has differing expectations about what is to be done.

I understand I'm coming to this party very late.

doesn't matter, kick in.

I think these would make very interesting places to adventure in.

they would. perhaps you could run a game here.

I still use the Little Black Books, and Supplements) I purchased in the fall of 1978. I do bring in elements from MegaTraveller, mainly character generation and System/World development.

I also, depending on world my players visit, bring in elements from Dave Hargrave's "Arduin Grimoire."

I have a few things brought in over time from New Era, T4, Mongoose 1st ED, Twilight 2000 and Steve Jackson's "Rivets," "Ogre" and "GEV."

I haven't run a game in over a decade, so that's off the top of my head.

I'd really only be interested in deck plans for MGT. I can and do port everything over from other editions (and other entirely different systems), but I would use MGT as the core in all cases. Deckplans are more difficult to adapt than text.
A year or a few later, and I think I'll update my reply to CT. :cool:

Although, to be honest, I'd rather do my own than ask someone else.

Origional is best

I still use CT for new ships for my games. CT LLB 5 High Guard since it was published back in 1980 has been my go-to design system. The original ships in LLB Supplement 9 Fighting Ships with its classic ship illustrations and LLB 7 Traders and Gunboats set my base assumptions of what star ships look like. I tried to draw deck plans for all my ship designs. As new Traveller games have been published, I took what I needed and rolled with it. Differences in each set of ship design I handwaved as from different cultures taking lead in the Imperium and the differences in the 6 Major races as they designed their own ships. This is not Middle Earth with “One Ring to Rule them All!”
Too many of the ship plans published by other companies I considered ugly or boxy with no attractiveness or magnificence within them. Any culture that would build ships to carry their people to other star systems to meet and deal with new peoples would want their craft to display what they considered impressive.
The simple arrowhead shape of the Suliman Scout ship is displayed beautifully in many illustrations. The Free Trader, Subsidized Merchant, and Far Trader Empress Mavara have been used and loved by so many players over the last 44 years inspired adventures around this planet.
New game systems each have new ideas and ways to design ships adding ship systems but IMHO can not surpass the simple percentages of LBB5 or the deck plans of LLB Sup 7.

Back