• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

FASA and OTU

sekalo

SOC-5
I found Traveller through FASA from being a big Battletech/Mechwarrior player. Mechwarrior at the basic core is Traveller target numbers with just penalties or bonuses assigned from the attribute stats.

Anyway - I seem to remember reading somewhere or it was discussed that FASA had their own area or location on the map, which they could release their modules, and play (company modules) within their own region of space. This area transitioned into the early Battletech universe due to inter planet wars with in the galaxy region of space. From my understanding it was suppose to be far off the trade routes or known space.

Was this really a thing or was it just speculated by magazines and articles of the early to mid 80s? This would have been somewhere around 1984-1988ish I remember reading about this is in some magazine, which was around the time that Mechwarrior 1st edition came out.

I could just have inhailed to many diesel or rocket fuel fumes. ;)

Also any books that I can read to get updated on the OTU?

Short answer FASA started supporting Traveller.

There was some discussion in the day about a Traveller adjacent map.... Though its been years, and I can't point at a source for that.

I found Traveller through FASA from being a big Battletech/Mechwarrior player. Mechwarrior at the basic core is Traveller target numbers with just penalties or bonuses assigned from the attribute stats.

Anyway - I seem to remember reading somewhere or it was discussed that FASA had their own area or location on the map, which they could release their modules, and play (company modules) within their own region of space. This area transitioned into the early Battletech universe due to inter planet wars with in the galaxy region of space. From my understanding it was suppose to be far off the trade routes or known space.

Was this really a thing or was it just speculated by magazines and articles of the early to mid 80s? This would have been somewhere around 1984-1988ish I remember reading about this is in some magazine, which was around the time that Mechwarrior 1st edition came out.

I could just have inhailed to many diesel or rocket fuel fumes. ;)

Also any books that I can read to get updated on the OTU?

FASA was originally a Traveller licensee.
  • FASA = Freedonian Aeronautics and Space Administration.
Freedonia is a world in Far Frontiers Sector.

FASA had been given a license to develop both Far Frontiers and Reaver's Deep. It had previously been developing the Old Expanses in High Passage as well.

Thank you all for the suggestions and insight. Are there any books that can bring me up to speed on the Official Traveller Universe?

That is, admittedly, more complicated than you might think, given the history of the IP overall and the various editions which have often explored different points in the canon timeline (plus the non-canon GURPS timeline and the various bits of decanonized former publications). I think it's safe to say that the "most official" stuff at this point with be the Mongoose Traveller supplements.

I'm kind of hoping that they might be convinced to do a Library Data book in the same vein of the old CT supplements, but that simply gives a scattering of history and details to make the Imperium and known space more accessible to people who want lore but aren't either grognards or have a trust fund...

D.

Traveller to me is Classic and MegaTraveller. I think I played MegaTraveller a few times in the early 90s; however, it was the setting that worked for me. During the early to mid 90s, I was a huge Battletech/Mecwarrior fan. Played the board games, computer games, and read the novels, so when MegaTraveller setting had the collapse of The Third Imperium, I was hooked on the dark setting.

World be neat if someone like Michael A. Stackpole did novels for Treaveller as he did for Battletech.

This thread was wonderful for those of us returning to the game after years. Thank you!

What's interesting is that Classic Traveller originally was "setting-less." Everything, I think, was back then, although it didn't take much time at all for "official settings" to be developed.

Originally I came to Traveller for the sci-fi rule set. I ended up staying for the setting. For me the different "versions" of Traveller were more explorations of its history, which I loved.

On the other hand, I always appreciated the ability to "roll my own" and in the end ended up trying to find a "quiet area" (currently Hinterworlds) to play around in and develop.

This thread was wonderful for those of us returning to the game after years. Thank you!

What's interesting is that Classic Traveller originally was "setting-less." Everything, I think, was back then, although it didn't take much time at all for "official settings" to be developed.

Originally I came to Traveller for the sci-fi rule set. I ended up staying for the setting. For me the different "versions" of Traveller were more explorations of its history, which I loved.

On the other hand, I always appreciated the ability to "roll my own" and in the end ended up trying to find a "quiet area" (currently Hinterworlds) to play around in and develop.
Like you I came here for 2d6 rule ideas, since I have a very soft spot for 2d6 and 1d6 rules. In addition, I like rules light game mechanics, that just give enough framework in mechanics, but allows for the dynamic tabletop judgement calls. Yet, I base all my table top judgement calls on how well someone is roleplaying their character. I might be harder on dice penalties if someone is "roll-playing" oppose to "role playing".

Yet, I base all my table top judgement calls on how well someone is roleplaying their character. I might be harder on dice penalties if someone is "roll-playing" oppose to "role playing".
One of the few things to come out of the D&D 5e that I really liked was the idea of "Inspiration Tokens". A reward for role playing and one that was not only given by the GM but other players as well. I loved the idea of a player receiving recognition for doing something that made the game better not just rolling lucky.

Not to take it too far, but just a little bonus sort of thing. :) (y)

Thank you all again with ideas and suggestions about FASA and OTU. I believe my original question was answered, and I with I could close topic.

Back