• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Imperium by Avalanche Press Ltd

Arioch,

The Avalanche game Imperium is a remake/update of the ancient GDW game Imperium, a game whose first version predated Traveller itself.

In the first version, the Imperium of the title is comprised of seventy stars and centered on Capella. In GDW's later releases of the game, that pre-Traveller Imperium becomes the Vilani Ziru Sirka.

With the exception of a few minor rules and some descriptive text, the various GDW releases are the same. The Avalanche version has a lot of 'chrome' compared to the GDW versions; much better counter graphics, fancier map, better tables, and many, many new rules. These rules IMHO add nothing substantial to game play and add quite a bit to game time. One new wrinkle, a tactical movement setup, provides so little benefit that players generally ignore it.

I was a wargamer well before I was a roleplayer. I am still more of a wargamer than a roleplayer. I even play Avalon Hill's Fleet series with all the advanced and optional rules. IMHO the chrome Avalanche added to Imperium is not worth the effort.

Imperium begat a GDW spin-off titled Dark Nebula. Set during the Long Night, it modeled the Aslan-Human wars of that period in Dark Nebula sector. With the exception of a few rules, one of which changes the map each time the game is played, the two games are essentially similar.

Both games use the usual Ugo-Igo turn structure. Players determine how many resource points the systems that they own provide. They then spend those points to buy military forces like ships, troops, and planetary defenses. Which kinds of ships and troops are available for purchase are constrained by various rules; the Vilani side can't build certain vessels without permission from the Emperor, the Terran can't build ship B until ship type A is destroyed, neither can build more ships/troops than the counter mix provides, etc. Maintenance fees also must be paid.

Movement is along 'jump lines' between star systems. Notes in the first version reveal this idea came from Pournelle and Niven's Mote in God's Eye(1). (In Dark Nebula a research advance allows movement off the lines.) The phasing player; whose turn it is, has unlimited movement, he can move his ships and stacks as far and as long as he wants. The non-phasing player is then allowed to move a designated reaction force three times.

Combat occurs when ships occupy the same system or when troops are landed on planets that have opposing troops/planetary defenses. Combat itself is straightforward, you line up the opposing ships/troops and roll against various attack factors on a combat results table. Ships can be damaged or destroyed. (The tactical movement setup I mentioned in the Avalanche version comes into play here and provides so little benefit that players generally ignore it.)

One nice feature of the games is that they present a series of wars and not just one war. There are rules for the periods of peace inbetween each war. Territories get adjusted in certain ways and armed forces drawn down before the next war kicks off.

IIRC, Avalanche Press made Imperium part of a recent 'Fire Sale'. They dropped prices to move certain titles out of their warehouse. After the sale, all unsold copies of the titles in question were to be burned. Make of that what you will.

Have fun,
Bill

1 - You can see that the 'jump lines' in Imperium and Dark Nebula have a non-Traveller lineage. You can also see how jump lines, and the way movement is handled as a whole, were chosen as a way to speed game play. Sadly, the authors of GT:ISW failed to appreciate that and the playtesters, of which I was one, failed to explain that to them. Subsequently, GT:ISW chose to 'explain' the presence of jump lines in a decidely canon breaking matter, further differentiating GT from the rest of Traveller.

It was as if the authors chose to 'explain' why Imperial, Sword World, Vargr, and Zhodani fleets in the Fifth Frontier War boardgame seemingly don't have jump fuel regulators. They mistakenly confused an aspect meant to streamline play in a boardgame with an actual aspect of the overall game setting.

Arioch,

The Avalanche version right?

Playable. Perhaps needlessly complex due to extra 'chrome' that detracts from rather than adds to the fun, but definitely playable.

I don't know what the eBay price is. I do know that, after playing several complete games with a friend's copy, I declined to purchase my own copy. The original Avalanche price, IIRC, was somewhere around 40 USD. I, who owns more of Traveller than any other game system, decided it wasn't worth that price.

Have fun,
Bill

P.S. The Games Reprint, which contains Imperium and all the other Traveller war and boardgames, is available from FFE. I believe the CT CD-ROM contains the same.

You would have to make your own counters and maps but, in this age of computers, that's far more easier than it was.

Boardgame Geek entries including reviews, downloads, houserules & more:

GDW editions:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3661

Avalanche Press version:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2106

Personally I find the GDW game interesting if too long for my tastes these days & had no interest in the AP game. In general AP has very nice looking games with mixed results on the rules. Their Imperium is IMO not one of their better efforts. Cheap with one of the fixes/the GDW rules it should be easier on the eyes than the GDW game.

Of course one option is to buy the Avalanche version for the lovely map and counters but actually use the original GDW rules to play it (which IIRC are included in the big The Games book published by FFE).

I have both and at some point it might be interesting to play two games following the same strategy but using the two different rulesets.

I agree with Mr. Cameron's assessment of the Imperium games. The AP version looks a lot nicer, but the rules are daunting and make the game too long to play.

The GDW Imperium is best suited for a campaign game, where the ending of one war sets the starting positions for the next. Played over the course of several months, this is an interesting challenge.

If you want a fast pick-up game, I'd opt for Dark Nebula. The Series 120 games were designed for fast play, and this is IMHO the fastest version of the Imperium rules.

Gents,

Thanks for all the review links. I'm sure they'll help Arioch a great deal.

Just to expand on my comments regarding needless complexity, let me blather on using ground combat in the two game versions as an example.

In the GDW versions, ground combat was straightforward and simple. Planets were represented on the map by a circle and a box. Ships stayed on the circle and troops/planetary defenses (PD) stayed on the box. Ships could bombard troops/PDs. PDs could shoot at bombarding ships and any troops you were trying to land. Once you landed, your troops and the opposing troops/PDs were lined up and (IIRC) 3 rounds of combat took place. If you hadn't destroyed the defenders in 3 rounds, you got 'bounced' back up onto your transports. (Space battles were limited in much the same way.)

As you can see it was simple, yet not simplistic. While the various aspects of opposed landings were present; bombarding ships, ships being shot down, defenders advantage, etc., the designers realized the game was a strategic level game centered around ships and not a grand tactical game centered around troops. Keeping that in mind, they crafted a ground combat section that satisfied the need to model planetary invasions quickly and simply without detracting from the game's focus.

Now, a more extensive ground combat model with maps of various planets, additional troops, additional rules, and the rest was published in the old JTAS magazine. However, it was published as a variant. You could still play Imperium without it.

Avalanche Press used both the GDW version and the JTAS variant to fashion their 'updated' version of Imperium, a version in which an extended and complex ground combat system was an intregal part of the game. As the reviews suggest, the results were uneven at best.

In the old game, planetary invasions were resolved in perhaps a dozen 1D6 rolls involving markers you could count on one hand. Whether the invasion succeeded or failed, the game quickly returned to being a strategic game about ships. In the Avalanche version, planetary invasions mushroomed into an entire game within a game complete with maps, initiative rolls, impulses, unit movement, terrain tables, and all the rest.

In the Boardgame Geeks review posted above, you can find a link to an interview with Avalanche editor in which he admits Avalnche lost control of their version during the design and playtest processes. Everyone involved had their own little idea to add and no one involved did any of the pruning a good game requires.

Have fun,
Bill

Yes, thanks for all the feedback guys. It's a great help. I'm suprised that I never heard of this game before, perhaps I just haven't been paying attention. Sounds like the "Vilani" factor is not taken into account, "eg. brutal & ruthless when it comes to war". To bad. Anyways, should I get my hands on the game by Avalanche Press I'll give it a good read, a try and then dream of an improved version.

Originally posted by Bill Cameron:
P.S. The Games Reprint, which contains Imperium and all the other Traveller war and boardgames, is available from FFE. I believe the CT CD-ROM contains the same.

You would have to make your own counters and maps but, in this age of computers, that's far more easier than it was.
I have the lovely Games reprint... but never made Imperium or Dark Nebula maps/counters. The scans provided on the FFE website just weren't good enough for this.

I received my copy of Imperium by Avalanche Press a couple days ago. I read the rules over and checked out all the variations listed on the Avalanche Press website. I like the variation ideas of Mine Layers, Mine Sweepers and Battle Cruisers. Also the Emperor's fleet is appropriately powerful.
I find the "Vilani Factor" is missing. Let's remember that the Vilani have been ruling an Empire for 4000(?) years. They are very reluctant to change and have a very traditional culture. A unrelated topic string mentions that Vilani marines still have Cutlass and Revlover skills; Therefore, the one variant rule that I do not agree with is: that after the Vilani encounter a Terran Battle Cruiser in Battle that they can then build them. Actually why would they need to? They have many other types of cruisers.

Remember the Vilani joke; How many Vilani does it take too change a light bulb? --I don't know, what does the manual say?

I'll give the game a try and see how it plays out and where there's room for improvement.
My precious!!

I do wonder how much a copy of the GDW version of Imperium would be worth if someone were to try to sell it (at least as a general asking price).

Just taking a quick look at sold items on eBay, it seems to go for anywhere from $15 to $40, depending on version and condition.

Don't get me thinking, the sad thing is I had a copy of Imperium when it was published by Conflict Games long long ago in a galaxy far far away. We played the hell out of it though so it wasn't in mint condition.

pic38274_md.jpg

There is a beautiful VASSAL version that someone named Gouka has recently made available. The Imperium rules are available in pdf format on the FFE CD and its also available at RPG Drivethru.

Imperium1.05Sample3.png

I don't know exactly what my edition was, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the later ones from before GDW folded. Played it a couple times and thought it was pretty well made.

Got the Avalanche version when it came out several years later, and as always, their graphics were outstanding, but their rules were obviously created by hordes of monkeys banging on typewriters.

It spurred me to create a set of "fixes", which I uploaded to BGG and seemed to be somewhat popular.

Then instead of fixing things, Avalanche just made things worse and worse with rules additions/changes and the ridiculous "emperor's fleet" among other things. I gave up all hope they would survive. Shame, since they made such BEAUTIFUL games and sold them for tolerable prices.

Back