• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Question(s) about Battledress

I usually like to make the combat consistent with what the military in the games would be like. (Not that I ever intend to have PC's in battledress with fusion guns), simply because if the combat system doesn't break down with armored troopers firing at each other, then it probably won't with much less armored PC's.

I've just seen too many games where two opposing squads of modern soldiers simply can't kill each other. This usually goes against my need for high tech lethality. (heh). If the armor is so good as to make guns less than effective, someone is going to come up with a better gun. It's just the natural arms race between weaponry and armor.

This is where my obsession with AP comes in. I have no problem if the armor is capable of routinely stopping rounds from low tech pistols (or even high tech sidearms, assuming the armor is of equal tech). I just don't like it when the armor is SO good that the modern longarm (be it ACR or gauss rifle or laser rifle) can't satisfactorally damage an opponent.

As for vehicles, this is kind of problematic. However, I'd rule that the "AR" gained from scale is never subject to AP effects. That should help a little bit. Maybe AR should scale too...vehicle AR is twice what character AR is. That has too many problems to really seriously entertain, but I think if scale "AR" is never allowed to be reduced by AP, that seems ok with me.

While we're on the topic- unless I'm mistaken, a TL14 or so Fusion Gun does 9d20 (don't have book with me). Now then, if a TL13 "medium" battledress has AR10 +5 for vehicle scale, doesn't this mean that a character in Battledress "only" takes 1d20-6 damage? If so, given an average Lifeblood of 12-13 for a Marine, that means the character has a mere 10-15% chance of killing said marine in a single hit. Perhaps I'm just confused having only previously played GURPS Traveller, but aren't single hits from plasma or fusion guns supposed to be IMMEDIATELY fatal, even to guys in BD? They certainly are in GURPS...too bad GURPS has so many other problems as to make it virtually unplayable at times.

I figure the damage would have to "scale up".

Any weapon that can penetrate a tank is going to "really hurt" if it happens to penetrate an occupied space. Standard DB is about as heavily armoured as modern battle tanks (AR7) so I try to keep that in mind with them.

I also figure that practically all of the inside of the DB is filled with soldier - it is unlikely to "just" do vehicle damage.

I suppose it depends on what effect you want. I like DB troopers being as tough as mother-in-laws but not invulnerable - So I would scale all penetrating hits up by converting the number of internal points to d8 (ie 3 points -> 3d8) and apply damage to lifeblood. I would do this as well as the SI damage to the actual suit.

The result is that small arms bounce, medium arms sometimes get lucky (and wound the wearer), heavy weapons kill the victim. If a wearer is killed, some suits are repairable, many are not. This result is what I would want, so I'm happy with it.

I like it too. I'll use your ruling if it ever comes up in play. Thanks!

Doh! Another question- do critical hits ignore the AR of the battledress and go straight to SI AND the wearer or what?

I actually do support the "can take an 88mm shell" school of thought, but I'm new to Traveller.

My reasoning is I always viewed battle dress as essentially Starship Troopers powered armor. And in the opening scene of Starship Troopers (the book), Rico makes it clear that sending tanks against MI is suicidal.

If Joe Battledress does take an 88 and survive, his sensors are all out of whack, his head hurts and the left servo isn't working anymore...but he's not just some red paste in a shell.

Back