• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Ship operations

Looking at my 1st Ed HG this morning (something about those crew requirements was bugging me) I see there used to be a Medical Section. This seems a pretty important oversight to me. Maybe it was supposed to be subsumed in the Services Section in 2nd Ed HG but it's not specifically mentioned.

I'm adding it to the above post.

Ahoy Maties,
I have designed a 1000dton warship of sorts.
I am having some trouble fleshing out the crew requirements.
The following are what i have done , but im not sure if its too many.
Capt.
Xo.
1 Pilot
2 Nav.
2 Como.(sensor) O.
1 Comp. O.

Ch Gunner (bridge fire control)
2nd gunner
8 gunners (turrents)

Ch Engineer
2nd Engineer
4 engeneering mates

Ch Medical O.
med. tech

Flight O. (Ships boat and fighter)
Ships boat pilot
fighter pilot

Ch Maintenence O.
2 maintenece mates (electrical)
2 maintenece mates (mechanical)

Ch Steward
4 steward mates (galley and ward room)

Ships troops
Commander
2 8 man squads

this is what i have to work with for crew rotation/shifts.
Plese feel free to comment.
As always thanks in adavance.

Looks good to me

The gunners and ship's troops can always help out with general maintenance duties.

Have you posted the ship stats anywhere yet?

YUP Here she is:
Ship: SHIELD of SOL
Class: PROTECTOR CLASS
Type: Patrol Frigate
Architect: STAAR SHIPYARDS
Tech Level: 15

USP
PF-A1345E2-500000-40003-0 MCr 671.160 1 KTons
Bat Bear 8 1 Crew: 56
Bat 8 1 TL: 15

Cargo: 59 Fuel: 350 EP: 50 Agility: 2 Marines: 17
Craft: 2 x 10T Grav A.P.C.s, 1 x 20T Fighter, 1 x 30T Ships Boat
Fuel Treatment: Fuel Scoops and On Board Fuel Purification
Backups: 1 x Model/3 Computer

Architects Fee: MCr 6.712 Cost in Quantity: MCr 536.928

Detailed Description
(High Guard Design)

HULL
1,000.000 tons standard, 14,000.000 cubic meters, Needle/Wedge Configuration

CREW
Pilot, Navigator, 6 Engineers, Medic, 9 Gunners, 2 Flight Crew, 17 Marines, 19 Other Crew

ENGINEERING
Jump-3, 4G Manuever, Power plant-5, 50.000 EP, Agility 2

AVIONICS
Bridge, Model/5fib Computer
1 Model/3 Backup Computer

HARDPOINTS
10 Hardpoints

ARMAMENT
2 Dual Missile Turrets organised into 1 Battery (Factor-3),
8 Triple Beam Laser Turrets organised into 8 Batteries (Factor-4)

DEFENCES
Armoured Hull (Factor-5)

CRAFT
2 10.000 ton Grav A.P.C.s (Crew of 0, Cost of MCr 0.000),
1 20.000 ton Fighter (Crew of 1, Cost of MCr 0.000),
1 30.000 ton Ships Boat (Crew of 1, Cost of MCr 0.000)

FUEL
350 Tons Fuel (3 parsecs jump and 28 days endurance)
On Board Fuel Scoops, On Board Fuel Purification Plant

MISCELLANEOUS
32 Staterooms, 20 Low Berths, 59 Tons Cargo

USER DEFINED COMPONENTS
1 Holo Suite (8.000 tons, Crew 0, Cost MCr 0.000),
1 Sick Bay Suite (18.000 tons, Crew 0, Cost MCr 0.000),
2 Missle Magazines (6.000 tons, Crew 0, Cost MCr 0.000),
1 Gym Area (6.000 tons, Crew 0, Cost MCr 0.000),
1 Hydroponics Suite (10.000 tons, Crew 0, Cost MCr 0.000),
1 Armory (6.000 tons, Crew 0, Cost MCr 0.000),
1 Brig (6.000 tons, Crew 0, Cost MCr 0.000),
2 Maintenence Shopss (4.000 tons, Crew 0, Cost MCr 0.000)

COST
MCr 677.872 Singly (incl. Architects fees of MCr 6.712), MCr 536.928 in Quantity

CONSTRUCTION TIME
120 Weeks Singly, 96 Weeks in Quantity

COMMENTS

When I was in the Marines, I did an overseas tour on the USS Midway. Heavily compartmented, old, slow and smelly (like my truck). There were 3 people in my repair shop, and as the new man, I drew the 7:30 pm to 7:30 am shift.

During periods with minimal repair work, we could leave the tech area for lunch, snacks, etc. Entertainment is minimal, so I compensated by sleeping 11 hours per day.

We too stood watches at various times during the day and night. Fun ones were where we crossed a time line and your four hour watch morphed into five... :mad:

At GQ there is NOWHERE to go. All mess facilities are shut down, so you better have some snacks handy...and don't even think about going to the bathroom... :eek:
Fortunately I was never in combat. It probably wouldn't be pretty.

Of course, TRAVELLER ships are probably easier on their crew. Could you wander about an area that was between bulkheads? Those are the pressure tight areas, IIRC.

IMTU naval crews use a sensory enhancement chamber to relieve stress of long voyages. But I certainly agree with those who say CT ships are undercrewed for long voyages...

By the way, do CT ships smell better than the Midway? Try living on an unstable gas station with lethal onjects in close proximity...
toast.gif

I have read through this thread now and I would like to add a few points, all from my perspective:
It is entirely possible, and indeed standard modus operandi in our navy, to run a watch system in which personnel spend 50% of their time on watch. However, I would think it unadvisable to spend more than, say, 6 hours on a single watch, because attention spans really start to sag then. In a "war" cruise we basically had the following routine:
6 hour watch
6 hours miscellaneous duties (and maybe one or two hours sleep)
6 hours watch
6 hours rest (of which ~5 hours are sleep)
Cycle starts anew.
This is the standard cycle for medium-sized German navy ships (frigates) and AFAIK other European navies use nearly identical procedures. This is sustainable for several weeks, but should be followed by a period of rest (port call, or jumps for Traveller ships).
It's far from pleasant - you turn into a zombie quite soon, but it's entirely possible to function this way. Of course, there are always some personnel who don't stand watches - beginning with the Captain - but who can be called upon at any time they might be needed.
On a different matter: It is IMHO unnecessary to have an XO on small vessels. Our S-Boats and U-Boats don't have them, for example, and indeed the presence of an XO is the criterion to distinguish a "boat" from a "ship". There is a captain, there are 2 or 3 watch-standing officers, and that's it. And of course those vessels don't bother with niceties such as mess stewards either.

Regards,

Tobias

Funny, our Navy's criterion to distinguish a "ship" from a "boat" is whether or not it is designed to sink.
file_21.gif

Watches can be done one way that will succeed for long stretches, but need to be "massaged" for surging. They can also be done in a way that works for short stretches, but collapses over the long haul. Pick your poison.

DLO, we know that at least the Scout ship smells that way. It's canon!
(And, I think they all would eventually. Though pax liners would use something like Febreeze liberally....)

The US Navy uses two criterion (Bluejacket's Maual, 19th ed, and Naval Science 1, USNA Press, 1982):

Ship: non-submersible over 100' long
Boat: Submersible OR under 100 feet long.

Originally posted by Hal:
Hi guys,
Got a question for you all.
You're the commanding officer. Where do you station your ship? What kinds of shifts do you maintain? How do you maintain a round the clock bridge watch? What about R&R? What do you do about sickness such that a crew member is on sick duty? ...
I station my ship on the parking apron of the Starport, all fuled up and ready to go...I myself am playing golf with my XO...
Let those worthless SDBs from the planetary gov't worry about customs and planetary patrol...They'll call if system scan shows up a suspicious ship...I ain't working any harder than needed to keep the Resident Observer happy. If they wanted round the clock system patrol, they'd assign a squadron. This ain't Basilisk Station, ya know...

-MADDog

Originally posted by MADDog:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hal:
Hi guys,
Got a question for you all.
You're the commanding officer. Where do you station your ship? What kinds of shifts do you maintain? How do you maintain a round the clock bridge watch? What about R&R? What do you do about sickness such that a crew member is on sick duty? ...
I station my ship on the parking apron of the Starport, all fuled up and ready to go...I myself am playing golf with my XO...
Let those worthless SDBs from the planetary gov't worry about customs and planetary patrol...They'll call if system scan shows up a suspicious ship...I ain't working any harder than needed to keep the Resident Observer happy. If they wanted round the clock system patrol, they'd assign a squadron. This ain't Basilisk Station, ya know...

-MADDog
</font>[/QUOTE]Well put Mad Dog. But I think you see where my question was heading. If it were but a single ship, you'd probably be put on station and low alert. But if you are underway - what would your routine be like? How well would your routine stand up to day to day operations. Now, if you analyze your ship's activities, you might want to go along with another issue - crew sickness ;) IF your watch schedule is that tight and has little room for error, what happens when an "Oops" occurs where the Ship's Engineer is certified as being on the sicklist? Now what?

Here's an ancilliary question. How are the military ships set up for recruit training? If there isn't a training base at every starport in the Imperium, then I always assumed that recruits got their basic training onboard ships - hopefully in transit to an actual training facility and not a combat zone. This takes care of a lot of the messenger watch/mess crank/gofer duties that float around as part of the OJT.

I'm not a historian, but isn't that how most Wet Navy personnel were trained back in the 1800s?

As for watchstanding, a lot will depend on what is going on. In jump, there will be light watches because there will be nothing that can really be done to most ship systems (except maintenance). In normal space, a watch should not last more than about 12 hours or else you run into problems with degraded performance over long periods of time. General Quarters will last as long as the CO deems it necessary for the ship, in the US Navy there are procedures set up to allow for eating and sleeping while at General Quarters. It should also be noted that General Quarters means that the ship is in a state of combat readiness and not in combat itself.

The Imperial Navy has training fleets, and training facilities at depot systems.
Then there are the Flight schools, Academies, Medical schools etc. mentioned in character generation.

I would imagine that a new recruit would receive basic training at a facility like one of these, before being sent to his first ship.

However, they must be in transit to these facilities initially so I would imagine training would begin on the ship transporting them to the nearest dedicated training facility.

Originally posted by Jeff M. Hopper:
I'm not a historian, but isn't that how most Wet Navy personnel were trained back in the 1800s?
Jeff,

They weren't trained at all. Or, more accurately, they weren't trained in any manner that we would think of as training.

First, wet navies tried to 'recruit' personnel that were already sailors; merchantmen, fishermen, dock workers, etc. That could be done via better pay, bounties, promises of prize money, and the like or it could be done via the 'press'; the officially sanctioned kidnapping of personnel from shoreside or ships.

Once aboard, it was 'makee learnee'. You learned by doing. Some never got past knowing to pull on a rope when told to, while others showed some promise and were apprenticed to various skilled ratings like carpenters and gunners where they learned more by doing more.

Officers and mates were different. Most came aboard as boys, sent to sea with captains who were either owed a favor or were granting a favor. Depending on the captain, their training ranged from excellent to awful. There might be a schoolmaster to give them the three 'Rs'. They would also (hopefully) learn navigation. once again by 'makee learnee'. Not all would become officers. Some would specialize. A good portion would remain masters mates, sort of akin to a super NCO or a current day warrant officer.

As for watchstanding, a lot will depend on what is going on. In jump, there will be light watches because there will be nothing that can really be done to most ship systems (except maintenance).
Exactly. That is also why I feel we need to differentiate civilian manning requirements from military manning requirements in Traveller.

In most systems, the trip from port to jump limit will be under 8 hours. Thus, a merchant ship spends less than 10% of its trip between worlds in normal space. The number of watchstanders required in jump space is very little. All you need do is monitor the jump drive, tend the power plant, and make sure life support keeps working. On small ships, one man may be able to do all that.

It's when you're in normal space that you need more watchstanders.

In normal space, a watch should not last more than about 12 hours or else you run into problems with degraded performance over long periods of time.
As someone who has actually stood watch, let me say that standing watch for 12 hours in a row on a regular basis is utter nonsense. It is a man killer.

It's been discussed before in this thread, but a recap seems to be needed:

- Watches are not your work day, watches are in addition to your work day.

- You do not stand watch by sitting down waiting for something to happen. Watches are nothing like manning some IT help desk with a crate of Cheetos, a case of Mountain Dew, and a stack of magazines.

- Standing watch is also not like being on call. Riggers and miners may put in a 16 shift, but they do not actually work during even half of that. Firefighters are on call, policemen stand watch. Tell me, do you want to deal with a cop who is on the 11th hour of his twelve hour watch?

- Poorly designed watchstanding can be a man killer. The 'Southern Swing' shift rotation some industries still use has been proven to take years off workers' lives.

- Watchstanding is definitely life altering. After standing 'six and sixes' for most of a WestPac, I returned home on leave. My second night home, I awoke in a girlfriend's bedroom at 11:45PM and found myself dressing. When I asked what was going on, she informed me I had told her that "I was late for watch relief and couldn't find my dosimetry."

I hope all that finally gets the point of watches across.

General Quarters will last as long as the CO deems it necessary for the ship...
Yes, and an idiot CO can hold his crew at GQ long enough to render them useless. It's happened on more than one occasion. Google 'Savo Island' and 'Scharnhorst' for two examples.

During the initial landings on Guadacanal, the Allied cruiser fleet stayed at GQ so long - even with the food and sleep breaks you mention - that the IJN easily destroyed them. Granted, the IJN was the world's premier night fighting force at the time and also had the 'Long Lance', but the Allied cruisers should have done better if their crews had not been disabled by two days at GQ.

The Scharnhorst episode is equally telling. During her final sortie off the North Cape, King George V and Jamaica literally caught her napping and sank her. She'd been at GQ for nearly two days and had tangled with a convoy screen several times. Despite her own ELINT warnings of an enemy force approaching from the southwest and despite radioed warnings of the same from her own shore command, the RN caught her on a steady course with her main battery trained fore and aft because her crew was too tired to think properly.

... in the US Navy there are procedures set up to allow for eating and sleeping while at General Quarters.
Yes, there are procedures. However, a dozen or so deviled ham sandwichs and a billycan full of bug juice don't go very far in an engineroom. As for sleeping, a 15 minutes nap behind the switchgear can help, but not for long.

Relaxing to Condition III helps somewhat, half the weapons manned, hatches can be opened for passage, etc.

It should also be noted that General Quarters means that the ship is in a state of combat readiness and not in combat itself.
It also should be noted that there is no appreciable difference between the two except for the fear factor. I've been in both situations. Boghammers, F-4s, and Silkworm targeting emissions aren't the same as the news that the Tokyo Express is coming down the Slot, but they still concetrated my mind wonderfully. They also made me feel like a wrung out rag afterwards.

GQ will wear you down, combat just means you'll get worn down faster.

Have fun,
Bill

Originally posted by Bill Cameron:
- Watchstanding is definitely life altering. After standing 'six and sixes' for most of a WestPac, I returned home on leave. My second night home, I awoke in a girlfriend's bedroom at 11:45PM and found myself dressing. When I asked what was going on, she informed me I had told her that "I was late for watch relief and couldn't find my dosimetry."

Have fun,
Bill
Dosimetry...
I was a pseudo-nuke Machinist Mate (busted out of nuke during prototype, limited re-nuke to stand turbine generator watches on USS Nimitz due to undermanning),
out of curiosity - what was your rate?

In Mote in Gods Eye there is mention that they "picked" up some people who thought they might like space. In tis Universe there is an academy (On a badly battered Earth) but this appears to be for officers. Enlisted seem to start (from this limited example) with basic training on ship. (Presumably advanced stuff would be at a training establishment)

There is also a nice bit on refuelling at an ice moon, everyone outside connecting hoses, pumps etc.

Originally posted by Bill Cameron:
The Scharnhorst episode is equally telling. During her final sortie off the North Cape, King George V and Jamaica literally caught her napping and sank her. She'd been at GQ for nearly two days and had tangled with a convoy screen several times.
Could you tell me your source for this unusual accentuation of the events? I am especially wondering why the Scharnhorst, at sea for some 24 hours, had been at GQ for nearly two days?

Regards,

Tobias

Back