• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Signal GK

kafka47

SOC-14 5K
Marquis
MJD,

How much has your work on M:1248 been influenced by the work of others? Where do you get your prime ideas for this Milieu. For example, are you influenced or been influenced by the British fanzine Signal GK (really good quality fanzine for those who haven't seen it).

Starting up a reading list for this milieu might be a way of getting newbies interested into the New Era without having them wade through tons of backgrounders, like the Regency sourcebook did...imho, a very poor job as by the time that particular supplement reached publication most of the references were long Out of Print.

MJD, I guess Signal-GK fanzine was before your time...

Does anyone know if the orignal editors/writers are still around. As wonder what they would make of the Traveller resurgence going on.

Elliot, BTW, this is the magazine for this is a zine filled great ideas for the Rebellion Milieu!

I dont have them, so i'll have to save up some pennies and bid for them when they come up on ebay (doh! there goes the get out of jail free fund!)

I actually submitted some material for Signal GK but as I recall it was in its death throes. Not sure what 'before my time' meant (pre 1980s?) but in truth I've not seen it. I went through a long phase of writing rather than buying which , ironically, TNE dragged me out of.

A reading list for TNE 1248? Hmm.

TNE and MT materials. Rebellion Era stuff in Challenge. Ie just the mainstream materials.

MJD,

Well, I just it was not before your time...a pity that your work never made its way into Signal GK. It had the right balance between Light/Dark that you are trying to achieve in M:1248.

By reading list for 1248, I was actually think of non-Traveller sources works of fiction that may be on your mind when you are creating 1248...

This is Leighton Piper, one of the original Signal GK team. I'm certainly still around, although I've been away from Traveller for a number of years.

Leighton Piper. I've been looking for your contact details for a while to see if I could get more Signal GKs from you. I used to be in correspondance with you once upon a time and played in your PBM Fifth Frontier War some time ago. Come on back to Traveller, it's as good as it always was.

HI Ben, remember it fondly. Maybe if anyone's interested, we could do something similar on the net.

Just been busy that's all. Been doing other RPG stuff but haven't really been doing much in the way of Traveller. May well change.

I think I do have some copies of Signal GK - I'll have to dig them out and see what I've exactly got.

Let me know what you are looking for and I'll see what I can do.

It looks like the waters warm!

Leighton.

I only have issues 3, 4, 5 and 6 unfortunately. I would like to aquire the rest, along with the sector information you lot were working on but I'm doubtful if any of the originals of that are left.

Ben,

I've definitely got a couple of copies of 10 and 12. For covering of postage a copy of each can be yours. As for other issues I don't think I have spares but I have all the right info.

To obtain any more I would have to try to contact Jae Campbell and get his (and others) permission to release them.

I will see what I can do.

Leighton

PS I haven't moved so my old address is still good for the moment. My address is on the inside cover of issue 6 and onwards.

Non-Traveller... I didn't specifcally have a reading list, but, other than The Morrow Project RPG, fiction might include:

Space Viking (H Beam Piper)
Any Hammer's Slammers novel by David Drake
Various John Keegan warfare textbooks
Naval history, any source
Nothing else leaps to mind...

Originally posted by MJD:
Non-Traveller... I didn't specifcally have a reading list, but, other than The Morrow Project RPG, fiction might include:

Space Viking (H Beam Piper)
Hear, hear! :D

Dear All, I have a couple of those 2 issues spare. So it's first come first serve I'm afraid. So if Ben and Shane are interested then pass me your details, I'll double-check on what I've got and get them off to you.

If there are any others interested then as I said before, I will need to speak to Jae Campbell and see if he and the other contributors would want to see them re-release/re-issued.

As for other things, I've been looking and playing quite a few other things: CofC, D20 stuff (D&D, Dragonstar, Fading Suns), MERP/Rolemaster home-grown crossovers, my own rules (I've pinched from everybody). Have been looking at a number of systems, including recently looking at Tri Stat dX rules.

I've also got plenty of notes/material for backgrounds and scenarios that I need to collate. If there's any interest for the Traveller/Sci-Fi stuff then it could be an incentive to write it all up.

Leighton

Leighton & Jae:

Would either of you consider doing a Best of S-GK and re-releasing Encyclopedia Dag. and Encyclopedia Gushemege through BITS or some other venue?

Leighton. I'll get a cheque off to you to cover postage when I get home this evening (and dig out your address). My address has also changed anyway since I've not lived in Northern Ireland for 10 years. Shesh, has it really been that long and longer since the FFW game?

For those interested in Signal-GK, I've just spoken to Jae Campbell who doesn't have a problem with reissuing Signal-GK is some format.

I will look into what I can do further, whether it's paper or electronic in some form. The copyright, credit and acknowledgment must be maintained but I must admit it would be kind of good to see it again.

Leighton

Hunter,

I have almost the entire run of Signal GK...would you like to have it so that it might be reproduced in PDF format (on the condition that I get it back...naturally...)

Originally posted by kafka47:
Hunter,

I have almost the entire run of Signal GK...would you like to have it so that it might be reproduced in PDF format (on the condition that I get it back...naturally...)
Sure! If that is ok with the Signal GK folks I'd be happy to PDF it and make it available from here.

Hunter

Back